Have you experienced panic attacks?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by maiaoh, Jul 5, 2018.

1. maiaoh

maiaoh New Member

Trigger warning: Panic attack experience

December last year, when I was about to sleep, my left part of my face went numb and sometimes there was a tingling sensation. I'm one of those people who get easily nervous, so I panicked. Terrible thoughts consumed me so bad that the next thing I knew, my heart was pounding fast and loud and there was a sudden shot of pain traveled from my left arm to my hand. It was an awful feeling. I still didn't know how I got through it. After I calmed down, I learned that I experienced my first panic attack. I just hope I won't encounter it anymore. It's terrible.

2. orelmente

orelmente New Member

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. I’ve had personal experience with panic attacks as well that were aggravated by joining a high stress work environment. If the panic attacks continue occurring on a regular basis the best thing you can do is seek professional help, there’s absolutely no shame in that.

A trained psychologist will be able to work with you on techniques to calm yourself down during a panic attack (breathing techniques, meditation, etc.) as well as ways to avoid triggering a panic attack (conflict mediation techniques, etc.)

3. GGK

GGK New Member

Hey guys!
    Fortunately, I have not experienced this kind of thing.
    Although we all deal a lot of stress and anxiety throughout daytime, some people just live through a lot of crazy stuff which I am deeply sorry for. I wish I could help everyone to end this but people should stick together and I believe things would get easier with time.

4. mep1289

mep1289 New Member

A panic attack is one of the strangest things I've ever experienced - I'm so sorry to hear about yours! I have always traveled frequently, but have almost always had a very vague and extremely minor fear of flying. But, once, when I was about 15 or 16, I was sitting in the airport during a layover, and it suddenly came over me - a very sudden and very real certainty that the plane I was about to board was going to crash. I started crying and hyperventilating. All of this came completely out of nowhere.

I don't think I totally settled down until the flight landed safely, but to this day, over 10 years later, I still remember how suddenly and how intensely it came on.