Healthy Snacks

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by danbo, Dec 28, 2015.

1. danbo

danbo New Member

I have to constantly bring food with me because I get hungry easily. I used to rely on granola bars, cookies, trail mix and other junk food because they're convenient. I would like to switch up my diet into a healthier one so does anyone have suggestions as to what's a good on-the-go healthy snack?

I was thinking about making my own granola bars since the store brought ones are laced with sugar sometimes.

2. Sarasmiles

Sarasmiles New Member

Healthy snacks for me include Quest protein bars, tuna pouches, and almonds. They're portable, easy to put in my briefcase or purse, I can eat them in the car, no preparation is involved, and I can even find them at the gas station. It's better to have a healthy snack on me than be in a bad mood while hungry!:eek: I've made poor food decisions when I went too long without eating, so I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

3. edz26

edz26 Member

Banana cue the most delicious and nutritious snack here in the philippines we made this golden fried brown sugar sticky banana it is usually skewered on a bamboo stick and sold on the street, very affordable. If you have a time to visit our country you should try this!

1 person likes this.
  4. uroborosz

uroborosz New Member

I like home-made granola bars. It's easy to make, delicious, cheap and of course, healthy (depending on the ingredients you use). I use a base recipe which I can vary according to my mood: 2 cups of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of nuts, 1/2 cup of (dried)fruit, 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil, maple syrup according to taste (you can use sugar or honey if you like it better) and a little water if needed. I mix them all together, press the mixture into a pan( covered with baking paper) evenly, put it into the preheated owen (250 degree) and bake it for about 20-25 minutes. After it's cut into bars, you can take it with you.

5. thoughtprovoker

thoughtprovoker New Member

The healthy snacks that I enjoy need to have a lot of energy and protein in them. My favorite snack is a can of low salt black beans. Drain the can and then dump it into a bowl, then take fresh chopped salsa and mix that in. I then mix in a can of tuna and leave some oil to mix in. If the tuna was with water then drain the water and add about fifteen grams of olive oil. Mix everything together and you have a delicious and protein loaded snack. I sometimes eat this with tortilla chips if I feel like cheating just a little bit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  6. amarena13

amarena13 New Member

If you constantly feel like snacking you might want to consider investing in a bento box. It's a very convenient way of carrying food, and most of them come with their own separators so that your food doesn't get soggy. You can mix-and-match a lot of flavours so that you always have a balanced meal even away from home.

Anyway, here are some healthy snacks you can carry:
    • trail mixes you can make at home using dried fruits such as cranberries, apricots, plums, apples. Add some toasted coconut and seeds (or nuts!) and you have a nutritious snack on the go!
    • homemade granola, which you can make using a lot of stuff you have lying around in your pantry.
    • overnight oatmeal, which might be a bit problematic because you would need to eat it with a spoon. There are plenty of recipes online for this, and you don't even need to worry about cooking it.
    • hummus and veggies. Easy and healthy finger food!
    Hope this helped you! :)

7. guest267

guest267 New Member

I have such a problem with consuming way too many snacks during the day. I am always hungry, but I also often eat because I am bored. That is such a bad habit! Snacks that keep me full and satisfied are all sorts of fruits or smoothies, yoghurt with some muesli, vegetables with hummus or a healthy protein bar. I have dificulties with portion control, I often eat too much without noticing. That is why I pack my lunch and snacks for school the night before. That way, I am not tempted to buy anything at school. I hate wasting food, so I would rather eat my own food in a situation like that.

8. Tolits

Tolits New Member

Popcorn, You may be wondering if popcorn is a healthy snack if you're trying to lose weight. On one hand, it's high in fiber and low in calories compared to most snack foods. But, if you douse it in butter—a la movie theaters—then you may be getting more calories than you bargained for. Snacking itself is not a bad thing—it can fuel you until your next meal and also can be a great place to get in some food groups you're missing in your other meals. But some snacks, like popcorn, are better than others and the best snacks to eat are low in calories, high in nutrition and help keep you full for a long time.

9. tatz1120

tatz1120 Member

By planning snacks in advance, you'll eat a more balanced diet that includes carbs for energy, protein to satisfy hunger and fiber for better digestion. Finding thebalance is key to healthy snacking. A balanced snack will leave you feeling satisfied and provide greater nourishment to the body.

10. Fumioks

Fumioks New Member

Healthy snacks can be cheap if you just do your research. Recently, I found out about cornmeal. It is good source of carbohydrates, iron, and phosphorus and some athletes include this in their diet. It can be a good substitute food for people who are trying to lose weight since it is rich in fiber. It will keep you full and satisfied until your next meal. I usually cook it like oatmeal and puts some fruits or honey depending on my mood. They are very affordable and cheap too. There are other ways to use the cornmeal and all you need to do is just google. :)

11. Gelatooo

Gelatooo New Member

Any asian in here? Please give me ideas for healthy snacks that is easy to make, on the go for office. And hopefully the ingredients are readily available in Asia. Help a fitness wannabe member, will you?

12. Mily92

Mily92 New Member

I love healthy snacks! I used to eat crap for snacks. I used to carry soda everywhere and eat chocolates and candies, potato chips. I was run by vending machines. About a year ago I decided to put my foot down and stop eating junk and make an effort to be more healthy.

Today, I'm much thinner without even trying and I have more energy and am more motivated day-to-day and I definitely owe that to my new diet, especially my sacks as I rarely eat full meals, usually dinner is my only full meal the rest is frequent snacking.

My favorite on the go snacks are veggies, cheese, crackers, and almonds or walnuts. I'll prepare bento boxes for every day of the week that I take to school with me. I'll throw in orange wedges, whole grain crackers, cheese cubes, and sugar snap peas or a simple spinach salad. All of my snacks are raw, quick and easy so they don't take much time off from my busy schedule. By taking time to make 5-6 days worth of bento boxes every Sunday, I always have a healthy option when I get hungry on the go. I just grab a bento every morning and I'm out the door. When I'm feeling really fancy, I like to make my own snack bars with honey granola, pumpkin seeds, ground flax etc. I'll make a whole batch and add one to my bento boxes. My life got much easier when I started doing this!

13. melancholic17

melancholic17 New Member

When we say healthy snacks, the first thing that come to my mind is FRUITS. Fruits is rich in nutrients and vitamins and also fiber, thus no matter how much you consume it, it won't make you fat or gain some weight. Unfortunately, fruits are not that so easy to carry with, that's why I just settle with crackers, chocolates, bread and sometimes chips. I know it is really unhealthy but what can you do when you are really hungry? Well it's not yet too late and I am still hoping I can change for the better. Go for HEALTHY options.

14. Healthy Snacking is an effective way to fit extra nutrients into your diet and prevent overeating at mealtimes.

15. Healthy snacking is a great way to combat hunger in between meals. Find recipes and ideas for delicious snacks to munch on at home or take on-the-go.

The best healthy snacks on the list: Apple slices with almond butter. Avocado and Salsa on Ezekiel Toast. Banana, Peanut Butter and Honey Roll-Ups. Celery Sticks and Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip. Chef's Cut Buffalo Style Chicken Jerky. Cucumber Hummus Boats. Healthy Egg Muffin Cups. Mini Pita Black Bean Quesadilla.

16. 4TheBestWriter4

4TheBestWriter4 New Member

Healthy snacks are important for a good diet because they give us the necessary apport of calories when we want to grab something good between the meals. It's important that our snacks are rich in micronutrients so that the body can absorb all the good minerals and vitamins that come with them.

My preferred healthy snack when I'm at home working in front of my laptop is blueberries. They are one of the highest antioxidant foods in the world, and evidence suggests that eating blueberries combats ageing, boosts brain health and fights cancer.

17. Teezoe74

Teezoe74 New Member

Try pumpkin or sunflower seeds. Honey roasted peanuts are sweet and can feel you up. Graham crackers with peanut butter and honey spread on top with a sprinkle of seas salt. Taste really good and is somewhat healthy. Mixed nuts and trail mixes are also a healthy option. Me personally, I love sunflower and pumpkin seeds the best.

18. romilda

romilda Member

Healthy snacks is good like fruits rather than eating junk foods for snacks.

19. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

I use to eat dried fruits and vegetables.

20. lenlen

lenlen Member

Eating healthy snacks is better than eating junk foods or unhealthy snacks. But I heard that eating between meals is not a good practice. Personally, I like eating snacks because I easily feel hungry so I didn't follow always this rule of not eating between meals. I usually made healthy cookies for my snacks and I didn't feel guilty because I know I ate a healthy snack. I also like granola bars, banana bread, carrot and oatmeal cookies for my healthy snacks.

1 person likes this.
  21. Tsare06

Tsare06 New Member

what a great way to start a new you is to eat healthy! Healthy snacks while pleasuring your short breaks requires a good choice of food filled with fin and joy A healthy snacks that you can surely love must contain a lot of fibers, vitamins and minerals. Try grabbing a bar of granola oats and a green smoothie.You may also try to crave for a healthy banana and blueberries instead!
    Always do remember that you are what you eat. So take time to grab some healthy snacks in order to live life to the fullest!

22. Donessa

Donessa New Member

A lot of healthy snack are up into market now a days which are easy and good specially for those person who are into diet and healthy foods. But for me snack cannot be complicated, the best snack are the fruits and root crops such as apple, pineapple, pears, banana, grapes, oranges, sweet potatoes, potatoes and a lot more that is on the go and can be prepared according to your preferences. Fruits and root crops are always available in the market it contains vitamins and minerals that we need to maintain healthy lifestyle.

23. Elsa77

Elsa77 Member

The idea that fruits are the healthiest snacks and that the replacement of a chocolate stick with a banana, an apple or a few strawberries is welcome, is not wrong. Fruits are a cocktail of energy and health, but like any other food, especially in the dry version, and these should be consumed in moderation. Due to the fact that a bag of dried fruit snacks has a much less visual impact than a kilogram of fresh fruit and is at the same time easier to consume, we often tend to overdo it.

24. Pashagreen75

Pashagreen75 New Member

Убедитесь, что у вас есть стакан чистой, негазированной воды или чашка зеленого чая - ни в коем случае не сладкая газировка, пиво, упакованный сок или газированная минеральная вода! Помните, что пить воду или другой напиток можно только через 30-40 минут после еды. В конце концов, независимо от того, насколько полезна ваша закуска, запив ее нездоровой, «неправильной» жидкостью, вы вычеркиваете почти все полезные бонусы, которые вы получали от еды раньше.

25. Elsa77

Elsa77 Member

I recommend that wherever you go for a longer period of time (at work, at school, etc.) take your snacks with you, thus avoiding having to buy unhealthy snacks on the run. Also, snacks should be between 150 and 250 calories, depending on sex, age or amount of energy consumed.
    Therefore, it is very important for our health to choose our snacks carefully and wisely, choosing only the most natural and with a balanced nutritional content, avoiding, on the other hand, the highly processed, poor in nutrients, full of empty calories and chemicals.