How Did You Get Started in Copywriting?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by murrayka92, May 25, 2018.

1. murrayka92

murrayka92 New Member

I'm trying to look for a job in copywriting and found they all need years of experience. I've never worked with copywriting and am curious if there is a place to start and what it is. I love writing and studied English in college but have failed to find a job in this area.
    How did you start your career?
    What was your experience?

2. Dormouse

Dormouse New Member

I was lucky - an ex is a professional copywriter, and sub-contracted my first job to me eight years ago.

However, I'm not of the opinion that you need contacts to get an 'in' - as I'm fond of saying, if the door is closed to you, climb through the window.

Content mills get a bad rap, but they're an excellent way to not just hone your skills, but build your confidence. You also get a short, sharp lesson in how to spot the Client From Hell before you branch out on your own.

You'll find yourself writing for less than a cent a word to start with, which is soul-destroying. However, take titles that you can write quickly, and with minimal research. Set yourself an hourly minimum wage, and build your reputation. Also, they're rare, but where you can, find clients where your byline is going on the piece.

Good luck!

3. sujeshnayar

sujeshnayar New Member

Getting into copywriting is difficult, but not impossible. And mind you, I'm talking about good and A level copywriting. My educational qualifications were in a totally different stream. But, I was always attracted to advertising and writing since I can remember. My pursuit for getting a job in advertising did not go well. I started to write freelance for one or two design an ad firms, pretty small. When my friend started a part time business of making ads, websites and design I made some copy for his work, free of cost. Got together an average portfolio.
    After a few years, I sat down and created my own dummy print ads to have a better portfolio. All the while I was doing other full time jobs too. Then approached a decent but not very good ad agency for a position, which when opened, I got a break to work as a copy writer. After 3 years I started my own small and still developing advertising agency.
    If you do not get good openings, create your own work and make a portfolio. Keep on banging the doors. eventually one will open up.

4. sujeshnayar

sujeshnayar New Member

Getting into copywriting is difficult, but not impossible. And mind you, I'm talking about good and A level copywriting. My educational qualifications were in a totally different stream. But, I was always attracted to advertising and writing since I can remember. My pursuit for getting a job in advertising did not go well. I started to write freelance for one or two design an ad firms, pretty small. When my friend started a part time business of making ads, websites and design I made some copy for his work, free of cost. Got together an average portfolio.
    After a few years, I sat down and created my own dummy print ads to have a better portfolio. All the while I was doing other full time jobs too. Then approached a decent but not very good ad agency for a position, which when opened, I got a break to work as a copy writer. After 3 years I started my own small and still developing advertising agency.
    If you do not get good openings, create your own work and make a portfolio. Keep on banging the doors. eventually one will open up.

5. chrone03

chrone03 New Member

Copy writting like data entry/data encoder right? You input and encode all details. Its like job typing. Example making Cv you type all information of your client and all detail accurately.

6. kevlina

kevlina New Member

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am also interested in this field to work from home, but I feel like it takes experience to get started. Assisting friends for free is a good way to determine if you have interest in the work as well, I might try that to start.

7. prettybutterfly

prettybutterfly New Member

Okay, I am in the same condition as the person who posted this. I want to develop my career as a copywriter as well. I am also a beginner. I keep searching the net every day. I have applied for some entrance exams. From what I understand my writing quality is still poor. So, I am looking to enhance my writing quality. Once I feel that I have practiced enough, I will try again for the entrance exams.

8. G.K

G.K New Member

Here's how to land your first client and earn $1000-$2000 per month:

First of all, you need to actually know how to write effective copy. Many people conflate "content creation/creative writing" with "copywriting".

No. You need to understand the fundamental principles before you start applying for jobs. Just pick one book (Cashvertisement is highly recommended) and write DAILY.

Now, assuming you did the above, here are the actual steps:

1. Freelancing platforms. Apply to 1-2.

You will learn how to pitch and sell yourself. Plus, you will build your portfolio.

2. While freelancing platforms are a good way to start, they are NOT going to pay you enough. You have to start sending cold-emails.

Find companies that are already hiring copywriters and cold-email them. 10 emails per day AT LEAST!

If you have a %1 convesion rate, which is pretty standard (you said you know how to persualde people, right?), for every 100 emails, you will get one job.

3. Try to get a retainer.

Steady income. Once you establish a good relationship with your clients, you can potentially make $1000-$2000 from a retainer.

4. Time to do your own thing.

While freelancing is awesome, the real money is selling a product. But that's another story!

P.S- Before someone comments "that's too difficult to do", YEAH I agree mate. It's not for everyone.