How Do You Calm Yourself When You Get Angry?

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by VoHnIx, Mar 12, 2019.

1. VoHnIx

VoHnIx Member

Something to keep in mind: Getting angry is a choice. You control your emotions and how to respond to things.

2 people like this.
  2. Stalcius

Stalcius New Member

Changing your scene. In example if you’re getting angry, leave the room, take a walk outside, just get yourself out of the situation that’s fueling your rage.

1 person likes this.
  3. marcbarredo13

marcbarredo13 Member

It is hard to calm yourself and it is hard to control your emotions when you are angry and just like what Stalcius said, by changing your scene and take a walk, it will soften your emotions and your anger will brush off on a matter of time. And sometimes when I am mad, I try to isolate myself from other people to avoid bursting of my emotions to them that might worsen the problem. I take a deep breath on myself and try to do other things to distract me until I calm myself. Then after I calm myself, I reminisce on what happen earlier and look for what is right or what is wrong or what should I do better on that time and learn from it. This is my simple way of calming myself when I am angry.

1 person likes this.
  4. JesReen

JesReen Member

Control. Control. Control. Then breathe in and out. Think before you speak. It’s important to be careful with your words especially when angry. The words that comes out from our mouth can sometimes hurt people that can be hard to heal thus it’s important to think first before we speak to avoid saying harsh words that could hurt people. When we control our anger, we avoid fights that not necessary and you could converse with understanding

1 person likes this.
  5. leony13

leony13 Member

How Do You Calm Yourself When You Get Angry?
    I calm myself when I get angry to think positive and be patient.

1 person likes this.
  6. romilda

romilda Member

By deep breathing and pray as soon as possible.

1 person likes this.
  7. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

First of all, I leave the room. I go to a place where I can calm down. I breath deeply. If this doesn't work, I go to the gym and take my anger out on the weights and punching bag. It's better than doing something that will get me into deeper trouble.

1 person likes this.
  8. Aviecells

Aviecells Member

When I am feeling really angry and annoyed, I calm myself by meditating. I just breath in and breath out repeatedly. In that process I can release any tension that I am keeping inside. Sometimes I chooses not to react on some things so that not to worsen the situation. It is very effective for me because I can control my emotions witout harming myself or anybody else.

1 person likes this.
  9. ciestlavie

ciestlavie New Member

I rarely get angry because I try to always understand the situations first but if I do reach that point, I usually remain silent and try to control my emotions. I try to calm myself by watching random videos and listening to music since my anger doesn't usually last that long but if I do have some things I really need to say, I let them out and keep it at that.

1 person likes this.
  10. sheennayu

sheennayu New Member

when i am seriously angry, not just simply irritated, i really felt like crying because i am a quiet type of person (shy type) i dont burst out things in my mind and when want to say something i can't say it immediately. i keep will keep on thinking first before saying anything. so when im angry there are lots of things that i want to say at the back of my mind but i cant say it. i rather keep all disappointments, frustrations and guilt deep inside of me than to say it out loud. i dont know. if i will talk my tears will start to flow also. thats frustrating on my part because i feel like im not a strong person. im weak in term of confrontation and defending myself even if i did nothing wrong.

11. dipo4you

dipo4you New Member

Often when I get annoyed, I just walk away. I know that when I am annoyed, then I cannot make the right decision, so I just chose to walk away to calm myself down. I must add that it isn't an easy thing to do, more so when the other party is very provocative. I just do that as a principle.

12. mayimayi

mayimayi Member

When I get angry, I count 1 to 10, if I am still angry I count 1 to 20. I try to think of the consequence if I let my anger rule me.
    But if I am furious, I just walk away becaUse I know I will just say or do something that I will regret later on. Remember, don't make decision when you are happy or angry, because you might regret it afterwards.

13. scamador

scamador New Member

I prefer to remove myself from the situation when I get angry. It is easier for me to calm down after a short walk or taking long, deep breaths. Then, I can cool my head and think clearly without emotions dominating my actions.

14. ariieskid

ariieskid Member

I calm when i get angry is when i know if the argument is going pointless and nothing will be solve. And being angry sometimes gaves you negative vibes so much so i just prefer to stay calm and compose.

15. Chaiya

Chaiya Member

I calm myself by doing a breathing exercise - I know this is usually an unconventional way of advising an angry person, but it does help. Inhaling and exhaling can definitely soothe your brain and calm your nerves, there's a scientific explanation to back it up as well.
    We need to be masters of our emotions otherwise we become a slave to it. I know this is easier said than done, it is hard but possible. It takes years of practice and we have a mind that works and a heart that feels. Let everything that comes inside us will only make us a better version of ourselves, yes, we can get angry but in anger do not sin. It is an emotion that is essential as well to us humans but we need not be stuck in feeling angry for a long time, we always have an option to remove ourselves from the situation that angers us.

16. devincci

devincci Member

It is hard to calm yourself when you get angry, but it's a choice. For me, calming myself is just look to the person make me angry and do breathing exercises and tell to my mind, "Lord, guide him/her." Because I know maybe he just gets about he/she felt so he/she doesn't know what he/she doing or saying. Calming yourself is not easy but not controlling yourself may result in you a bad decision.

17. Anger is a normal reaction especially upon reason. But still, we all have to calm ourselves and not let anger lead the way. Learn how to understand and to forgive. Talk to the person and explain in a nice way. Anger is a bad feeling that will also put pressure upon your health. Relax and loose yourself a little.

18. elliethegypsy

elliethegypsy Member

I can't. My mom thought me to count from 1-10 and breathe. But doing it can't still keep me from getting angry to someone or something. I easily get irritated. I feel like I should visit a professional to help me with it. There are times that my brain keeps on saying that "just shut up" but my mouth can't. I tend to speak ill to someone when I get angry and it's frustrating.

19. yhanmar08

yhanmar08 Member

Well when i am angry i calm my self by breathing, or sometimes a go to the room and just thinking or crying. Then we i went out will be calm when i talk to the person i been mad.
    Maybe it is bard to calm your self. You need to let out all of your feelings. So many of is girls just cry. But for the boys they really freak out and punch or hit something. I really don't know how they calm?

20. patokar

patokar New Member

I think suppressing anger is one of the worst things you can do to your mental health so I allow myself to get angry and then I let it go. Luckily for my family, I have a pretty long fuse. I usually feel so much better after I've vented to someone who did nothing more than simply listen to me unload. And then it's forgotten.

21. vanessadespe

vanessadespe New Member

Just pause and calm yourself. When you are at your pick of your emotion, anything worse can be happend. Maybe you can say bad things and make wrong decisions when you are angry. So just pause and calm yourself. Then if you are calm already, you may talk or make decision. The solution to calm yourself when you are angry is to just pause for the mean time, inhale and then exhale and then you may talk without angryness.

22. HanniBanni

HanniBanni New Member

Take advantage of the following simple tips to get calm when you are angry:

Take a break
    Counting to 10 is not just for children. Before responding to a stressful situation, take a few moments, take a deep breath and count to 10. If necessary, pause the person or situation until the frustration has diminished. Then react.

After you calm down, express your anger
    Once you start thinking clearly, express your frustration in a way that will not be confrontational but will show that you are angry. Express your demands and needs clearly and directly without hurting others or trying to control them.

Exercise
    Physical activity can be an outlet for your emotions, especially if you are ready to erupt. If you feel anger escalating in you, take a quick walk, run or do some other physical activity. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that contribute to feelings of happiness and relaxation.

Think before you speak
    In moments of rage and anger, it is very easy to say something you will regret later. Wait a while and consolidate your thoughts before you say anything. Also allow other people involved in the situation to do the same.

Identify possible solutions
    Instead of focusing on what has enraged you, work on a practical solution to the problem. Does your child's messy room go crazy? Close the door. Is your partner always late for meetings? Try booking appointments later or take a break with your exits. Remind yourself that anger has nothing to solve, it can only aggravate the situation.

Do not hold anger
    Forgiveness is a powerful tool. If you allow anger, anger, and other negative feelings to overpower positive emotions, you may be swallowed up by your resentment or sense of injustice. But if you can forgive the one who made you angry, you can both learn positive things from the whole situation. It is unrealistic to expect every person to behave exactly the way you want them to.

23. wenny5

wenny5 New Member

It's hard to control anger. So how do I do it? I just simply burst into crying. I need to let it out, if I don't my chest feels like bursting with pain. After I'm done with crying I'm okay again . We don't have to keep it to ourselves. We just have to find a way to let it out without hurting others by violent words and actions. Simple crying is enough.

24. AngKool27

AngKool27 Member

I just think the Lord and pray for calm heart and humble heart and boom im fine,..

25. Zyrylrago

Zyrylrago Member

I pray, I just think of other things or watch movies. I take a break and think that being mad will joust make myself think of bad things that I’ll regret later.

26. JuliaFB

JuliaFB New Member

I calm myself down very fast. If I am too upset, I go to sleep. I slept all day only out of my bedroom to eat. When I am fully awake, I take a warm bath in the jacuzzi.

27. nheilm2020

nheilm2020 Member

Getting angry is a normal reaction when there are factors that push you to feel it. So, the most important thing to remember is that, when you are on the verge of your anger, just breath deeply three times, drink water and think that an issue won't be solved with your anger.

28. yetyet

yetyet Member

Last time I read this quotation that if another person can easily anger you, it is because you're off balance with yourself. Well maybe it's true because honestly I easily get angry to somebody whom I found annoying. The time that I found that quotation it changes my point of view when it comes to anger. I'd try many things in regard with anger management but somehow they all fail. At this point of my life, whenever I started to get angry I immediately examine myself and asked, am I really off balance with my myself?, why is it the I'm angry now again with this certain things or people?. These questions help me stop myself from getting angry and it helps me to calm down. I also read that anger is the punishment that we give to ourselves for others wrong doing. I don't want to punish myself of course so I really help myself to get out from that situation by diverting my attention to other positive aspects that this life offers me. Getting angry is just a normal reaction when we feel something in us is trampled or taken away, but we have to balance our mindset and inner peace so we can calm down immediately in every crucial situation.

29. quercitron

quercitron Member

It's all about mind over emotions. Try to set your emotions aside. Think logically and think hard about it. Setting boundaries between mind and emotion may not be the easiest thing to do but it is definitely worth trying. Whenever you are aware of any unlikely emotions, you tend to shift to the logical side and depend on that side until you feel that the negative emotions have subsided.

30. WilliamFowler

WilliamFowler New Member

I have a journal for that I will write in when I am overcome with emotions. As a writer, I will use this as a way to express my thoughts in a way that is concise and honest, and yet no one but me will ever see them. When I think it's time, I will go back to the entry and reflect on that instance and see where things went wrong and how I can avoid it in the future. It might sound cheesy, but it really works for me and I have friends who have done the same thing.