How do you deal with depression?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TYBG, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TYBG

TYBG New Member

For those of you here who have or have had depression, how do you deal with it? Have you ever overcome it?

Right now I'm battling with it, but I don't want to resort to medication of any kind. I'm also showing signs of ADHD, anxiety (non-social), and a few others which are starting to concern me.

Getting up in the morning for work is unbelievably hard. Every day is a struggle, and things are spiraling out of control in my life and I don't know what to do. I can't focus or think clearly at all it seems. The days go by way too quickly and I feel like I can't keep up or find time for anything.

Anyway, please share your experiences with depression and how you dealt and possibly overcame it.

2. Pivoine

Pivoine New Member

Sometimes it's good to just get out of the environment you're in, even for a couple of minutes. Just leave the house and walk around, I feel like my mind gets into a negative state when I spend too much time indoors, it feels like the walls are closing in but I get a weight on my mind that makes it hard for me to leave or do anything. Push your comfort zone/what you know and do. I'm an introvert and it's really hard for me to talk to people, even my own friends at times. When I go on my walks, I try to smile at everyone I pass. The best thing that I can suggest is to do something you've always wanted to do and try learning/doing it, but here's the catch: find someone to do it with or talk about your progress with. Take a cooking class and cook for your family/friends/coworkers. Try learning a new language, find a pen-pal who speaks the language you're trying to learn (http://www.reddit.com/r/penpals/) and write to them in the language you're learning. Sometimes you just need to prove to yourself that you are able of doing something. Have a nice day! :)

whithershalliwander likes this.
  3. AZLee

AZLee New Member

The first step out of depression is realizing that you are affected by it. You seem to be aware, so take the next step - seek professional help. I was always depressed and did not believe that going to a therapist or psychiatrist would work. However, I was tired of being tired all day and unmotivated. Even when you are depressed, sometimes you will get a slight burst of motivation to get out of that slump. So next time you are determined, seek help. I started out with a therapist. It felt great to speak to someone who wouldn't judge you and let all your emotions out. I felt better for a few hours after therapy and went around 6 times. However, it did not lift me out of depression. I was referred to a psychiatrist and am currently on Prozac. I'm not sure if it works, but I get the motivation to get through my current academic work no matter how boring it is.

4. Sherborne

Sherborne New Member

This topic is really sensitive because most people are ignorant of depression, or any mental health illness. I had depression, anxiety, and a form of psychosis. but like any illness - like the flu, when you recover you are the same person. I think people need to understand that statement. I would recommend having medication, because it is not addictive, and it does help you initially at the early stages when you need the most help and support. I have overcame depression, it is possible hold in there! You will need counselling, medication, a support group with others going through the same mental illness as you, you will need help from your family and only a few close friends that understand or at least try to understand. I read that by taking notes it is 92 percent or more effective at overcoming depression. I wrote out close to 5 years of note taking. It cleared my mind, and got my thinking right again.

Effectively depression is your mind not thinking properly, this could be due to a chemical imbalance, which can be corrected by doing fun stuff which should inject some feel good chemicals to get the balance right, and you need to start thinking all over again! That's the fun part! It's like becoming a philosopher. I always remember a book of philosophy and a man on the front with a speech bubble exclaiming, "Thinking! Ah, at last I have discovered it!"

But please stay encouraged! watch the film its a wonderful life! that will help.

If you would like, stay in touch and I will help as much as possible!

Worldpeace and Julesjedjr like this.
  5. april84

april84 New Member

It really depends on how bad your depression is. Exercise helps me a lot to stay happier and more patient with my family. I don't struggle with deep depression, though, more like the frustrating, prone to yelling kind. I usually exercise 4 times a week.

6. Misspittypat

Misspittypat New Member

Hello TYBG! This a very common problem in our society and I can totally relate to how you're feeling right now as I am going through the same thing. The sudden bouts of depression can come at any time and for different reasons. I myself have been stressed out with worry over family members and have experienced the same anxiety you describe and also weight loss, insomnia and mood swings. It helps to make time for yourself to do something really relaxing or something you enjoy. That might be walking or reading, or sitting on the beach if you live near one or just being in nature in any way you can. Try signing up to swimming classes or yoga classes and consider joining a meditation group. I too would prefer to avoid going on medication so I try my best to fill my body with plenty of healthy natural food, organic food, lots of water and generally try to exercise every day even if that's just a fifteen minute walk to the shops and back. Also it's really really important to share what your going through with about two or three people who you trust and who will make an effort to spend time with you and ask how you are doing. These are my coping skills, I hope they help. It will get better!

7. mcginger

mcginger New Member

Are you a fan of 'Hyperbole and a Half' (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/)? It's a neat little blog with some silly MSP drawings done by artist/comedian Allie Brosh.

A couple of her posts dealt with depression. She explained the process as coming to a point where she no longer felt emotion. She experienced depression to the point of apathy.

Not everyone's experience is like this, but mine was. It can be frightening to get to a point in your life and realize that you are depressed, but to absolutely not have the tools to fix it, or even the inclination. You don't know if it'll just up and slip away and what's more, you don't really care.

When this happened to me, I was kind of thrilled by the new found freedom. Not giving a damn about what anyone thought about anything was exhilarating, in a deadbeat sort of way. I could lie in bed all day and ignore classes, because who was going to stop me?

This sort of thinking made the days horrendously dull. Life was slipping through my fingers and I just couldn't bring myself to care. Everything was cast in a haze and I felt as though I were literally dragging myself from one checkpoint to the next.

My solution when I recognized the issue was to write. I snagged a journal. Most days I didn't even have a particular lot to say. It was often reiterating the same idea in different words; depression and apathy, life passing me by, et cetera. It seemed boring and unhelpful, and that's because it can be rather unhelpful for me to just write about my problems. What really helped me was rereading what I had written. I wouldn't necessarily reread everything each day, but from time to time I would flip through and notice the changes in how I felt from one period to the next.

After some time it became quite apparent my condition had worsened. I looked over my journal and noticed in most of my recent scribbles I had described being afraid. I had no idea what I was afraid of. And that just scared me more.

This is when I decided to utilize the free counseling available to me as a student. I am quite lucky that I don't have to pay extra for a counseling session, and lucky I didn't require medication.

It took many more months to feel like myself again, but writing almost daily helped me stay sane and provided almost a transcript of my experience. It's harrowing to read it now, but at the time it was my life. Seeing the changes in my wording allowed me to identify when I truly needed help, and encouraged me to seek that help I so desperately needed.

I hope you find a strategy that works for you. Depression can be a lonely ordeal, but you are certainly not alone.

kate6119 likes this.
  8. midoeloooo

midoeloooo New Member

What is really work for me is:
    Drinking some tea, close you eyes and lie on bed for 15 minutes, imagine you're in the place you would love to be in, watch a good movie or anime, finally get some sleep :)
    if you're not in a very bad mood , you can text/meet some friends.

9. Brandon Alderete

Brandon Alderete New Member

First off im sorry to heard that you are depressed, it does get better. I have had depression before in the past and it is a challenge. I overcame it through time, support and exercise. If you exercise every day for 20 minutes you will feel a lot better. Its the natural anti-depression medicine. But don't expect to get better over one day it does take time.

10. Grif Fitzgerald

Grif Fitzgerald New Member

I have some experience conducting clinical research for depression and anxiety. By no means am I an expert, but I can offer advice based on the data from contemporary research.

1. Medication for depression, anxiety, and ADHD are effective treatment options for many individuals. All three of these psychiatric illnesses respond favorably to SSRI treatment (e.g. Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft) in many individuals. They aren't "happy pills:" instead, the medication weakens the strength of impulsive and intrusive thoughts in general, giving you better control over the negative moods associated with depression, anxiety, and ADHD diagnoses. I know that you hope to avoid this option, but I would give it serious consideration. For some people, medication alone is enough to weaken the strength of an immediate depressive episode, and it may "buffer" against subsequent episodes.

2. Therapy, in combination with pharmacological care, is repeatedly demonstrated as the most effective treatment for depression, anxiety, and ADHD. Therapists can be hit-or-miss, though; you will likely spend time with 1-3 clinicians before you find one with an agreeable "therapeutic style." Therapists are effective because they serve as a neutral observer for your thoughts and actions: they can "detect" self-damaging patterns of thought and behavior, they can challenge you to try less-damaging ones, and they can teach you techniques and exercises that will mitigate some of your symptoms.

3. Ensure that your mental health is not currently affected by an undiagnosed medical condition. Some medical conditions lead to symptoms that overlap across diagnoses of depression, anxiety, and ADHD (e.g. thyroid disorders, immune system responses, B or D vitamin deficiencies). This is where your family doctor can help: if you have a diagnosis from a mental health professional, or if you suspect something is awry but have not yet been diagnosed, your doctor can order some tests and suggest some ideas that will help your symptoms.

4. If you opt for "alternative" treatments, elect those that have at least some acceptance among medical and mental health professionals. These treatments are accepted because reliable data can testify to their effectiveness. For instance, sun/phototherapy lamps can be God-sends for those who find their depression is strongest during the winter months, and they have demonstrated reliability and dependability in mitigating seasonal depression symptoms across numerous studies.

I hope that at least one of these suggestions is helpful. I understand that our society places a stigma on seeking medication or mental health services, so your hesitations concerning these treatments are more than understandable. However, the data I have seen while conducting my research -- and I have seen a lot of it -- suggests that these are currently the best options available for treating severe depressive symptoms.

11. chrissyhme

chrissyhme New Member

I have suffered from depression at different times through my adult life. I have never taken medication, I just deal with it the best I know how. Two of the things that I have noticed help me feel more like myself are sunshine and walking. A walk on a sunny day does wonders for me. It's enough to get me moving and wanting to feel better, it motivates me to do more physical activity which also helps a lot with depression for me.

12. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I can relate to your present experience. Depression is a precariously dangerous state in which your mind can find itself. It goes without saying that depression can bring one to the brink of insanity and to even suicidal attempts.

I have been depressed before. I remember clearly when I was extremely depressed at the age of 15, and at another period of my life when I was about 20 years old. Since then, I have never experienced such heavy depression. I hardly get depressed nowadays.

Now, I'm by no means making any recommendations here, but what I did was to find something that helped to lift my esteem; something that brought me reassurance of deliverance in the midst of mounting atrocities and unpredictable circumstances. I found faith in religion.

So, whether or not I have seemingly fallen into a delusion that has provided me false hope to carry on into tomorrow, the fact is that it works and I'm no longer a depressed person.

13. Amber Lamoreaux

Amber Lamoreaux New Member

I think depression is something that every human being on Earth struggles with at some point in their life. For me, regular exercise seems to help with this immensely. I tend to be one of those people who is seasonally depressed from all the cloudy weather in the fall and winter. Getting myself on the treadmill at least 3 times a week and also taking vitamin D and B supplements seems to perk me right up, and I sleep better too.

whithershalliwander likes this.
  14. thinkingfirst

thinkingfirst New Member

Well, this is a very serious subject which requires thoughtful responses. First of all, it must be understood that depression is a medical condition and someone who is experiencing it should be seeking the professional advice of a licensed medical practitioner. It is really easy for all of us to give our two cents worth of advice to people who are suffering from this disease called depression, but if we are not well educated and trained to know how to diagnose or treat it, then we should keep our opinions to ourselves. Leave medical issues to the professionals.

15. whithershalliwander

whithershalliwander New Member

I can understand your reluctance to use medication, and I respect your choice. But please do know that medication can make a world of difference in terms of your functionality. If counselling or therapy and some of the other suggestions people added here cannot get you back to where you want to be, please consider beginning some sort of medication. Sometimes we just need a little boost to get over that first hurdle.

I was diagnosed with moderate depression and severe social anxiety a little over three years ago. I was in my junior year of college, with no direction in a major I hated, in a tiny apartment that seemed like a converted motel suite that I shared with someone I didn't really click with, and I have space-control issues, so being in close contact with a person every day made me feel claustrophobic and ironically less likely to go out of the door. It got to the point where I didn't even want to go out to see my boyfriend (who lived across the city) and I wasn't going to classes. I would lie on our couch and stare at the ceiling for hours because I couldn't even work up the motivation to cry about how miserable I was. I'm pretty sure now that I'd been depressed since high school but still functional. But that year of college really broke me. I started talking to the school counselor and she handed me a depression-assessment sheet. She scored it as moderate depression, got me on Celexa and the change was like the "motivation" button had twisted from 0 to 2. I could feel some emotions again, and things slowly came back to me. I wasn't back to "10" yet but I was able to function at minimum requirements, and it was a sigh of relief and I was able to do some things I needed to. I was able to go to my professors and explain why I hadn't been doing well and that I was probably going to take a semester off (which I did). I was able to go to the store to buy more toilet paper. I was able to drive to my boyfriend's and deal with his roommate being around. I've been in counselling pretty much consistently since then.

That's one of the most important things. Please make sure you stay in contact with a mental health professional. They will help you out of circular logic that makes so much sense when you're depressed, and help you develop and stay on task with goals you want to set for recovery. There's no real "cure" for depression, but a lot of things help manage it. One of the things I got frustrated with was that I felt like everything was for school, everything I did, night, day, wake, sleep. My therapist told me to take at least an hour each day and just do something that I wanted to do, for myself. Take a bath, work on my art, crochet something, watch a tv program. When you're in a deep valley like this, you have to take care of yourself first before anything else. If you don't, you'll break down. You're not a machine. You're human.

Almost forgot-- get some sunlight! Even sitting by a window will help. Psychiatrists have even prescribed light therapy for some depression patients. I would suggest taking a walk once a day or once every day. If you can't get outside, open the curtains, and let the sunlight in! I'm honestly not sure if it's the mental associations we make with light, or the UV, or vitamin D, or something else, but sunlight will help. Try to get at least half an hour of sunlight a day, a couple hours would probably be best. Remember your sunscreen if you're going to be out longer than that in direct sunlight tho; sunburn helps nothing.

I'm not much for exercise myself. :) I tend to sit quietly and do crafty things, but I know exercise can boost your endorphin levels and give you a better feeling about your body, at the very least, even if you're frustrated with your mind's reluctance to act as you want it to. And hey, if you have a bike, or roller skates, or something, that can be even more fun than a walk. I like to take my camera along when I take a walk and snap pictures. No matter what season it is, there's always something interesting to take pictures of. Even crumbling brick. Having those pictures to look at and something to focus on during your walk will help take your mind off of how you feel and allow you to enjoy the world around you a little more.

At one really low point in my life I took my sketchbook down to the riverfront and sat on the cement bank in front of the amphitheater and sketched a little bit of the landscape, but mostly I just watched the opposite shore and tugboats passing by while the sun warmed my skin. For a while I just watched and let my mind wander and follow the undulation of the waves. Finding something to lose yourself in (something constructive, alcohol or drugs will only make this worse) can alleviate the feelings of misery for a little while and can leave you feeling more refreshed.

If you start feeling severely worse, contact someone immediately. If you can't get in contact with a therapist (I think they're required to have an emergency contact but I'm not 100% on that) then call someone you trust. Don't just wait for the feeling to pass, especially if you feel that you want to hurt yourself. If you're at a loss for what to do or who to contact, call the nearest hospital and tell them you need to see a mental health professional and that it's an emergency, so that they can put you in contact with someone.

I sincerely hope things start getting better for you. Don't be frustrated if you don't feel "cured" all at once. There is no cure. It's uphill all the way, and just starting out can feel like climbing a cliff, but the slope gets easier the farther away from the pit you get. Don't give up. Millions of people are dealing with depression alongside you, and we'll be here to help as long as you need us. :)

16. whithershalliwander

whithershalliwander New Member

It's also helpful to hear from others who are struggling with the same thing. That's why people form support groups. We need to know we're not suffering alone, that we're not the only ones struggling with this. There's a sort of solidarity among people who suffer from the same or similar conditions. Something that helped me a lot and really opened my eyes was talking to my parents about my depression. Mental illness runs in both of my parents' families, and my parents both struggled with depression for a long time. It made me understand them more as people instead of as my parents, and knowing it wasn't just me, that I wasn't the weird one out, was such a burden off of my shoulders. I'm crying right now thinking about it, actually. The relief that comes from knowing you're not alone is by itself sometimes enough to help you have the courage to start your road to recovery, and keeps your head on your shoulders as you struggle up the hill.

It stops being, "I don't think I can do it," and instead becomes "I can do this if you can, we can do it, and if one of us slips, we'll be there for each other."

Professional medical help is important, but please do not discount the powerful effects of support from people who are going through the same thing as the person asking for help and advice. If I hadn't had the support of so many people, friends, family, complete strangers, I would not be where I am right now, two semesters away from graduating in a field I like, having made, and this feels so strange but really awesome, more than one friend this year, in fact I have made about five friends which is absolutely unheard of for me, and compared to where I was, how I'm doing now is miraculous. And I'm enjoying myself. I even started a club for people who knit and crochet and/or want to learn. I would never have done that, or been able to start doing that if it hadn't been for the people who let me pour out my heart to them, offered their advice and experiences in return. If I hadn't had their support, I really don't know where I'd be.

TYBG, you are so very right to turn to other sufferers of depression for advice on how to help manage your depression. A valuable source of support is so incredibly important. Please know you can always message me if you want to.

17. WritingMuse

WritingMuse New Member

What a great thread this is! Thank you for your contributions. Every post here will help someone who is dealing with depression. Looking back in my life I know that I suffered from situational depression, in that I was dealing with very difficult situations without enough coping skills or the ability to adjust in a healthy way.

The purpose of counseling is to help an individual to put coping strategies into practice, develop a better perspective, build on their strengths and understand themselves and what has happened in their life so far. Sometimes medication is needed, sometimes it isn't. Exercise, a diet that meets nutritional needs, companionship and meaningful relationships and a sense of purpose through work or activity all contribute to a balanced life and help to prevent depressive episodes.

Depression is in itself also a coping strategy, in that it shuts us off from life when we feel we can't handle what is happening. The problem is that it is not a constructive way to cope, it is usually destructive, especially in the long run. This is where the degree of depression can mean different things and require different treatment, depending on what is happening with the individual.

With all kinds of depression, we are affected not just emotionally and mentally but physcially as well, and it can become a downward spiral. I think the most important thing that has been said in this thread is not to hide it, but to speak to someone and get the help and support that you need.

You're worth it! Never forget that.

18. each1increase1

each1increase1 New Member

Depression effects most people. It's what I like to refer to as a collection of thoughts. My life is not immune to negative experiences, loss and failure, rejection, etc. Neither is my life without memories of love, peace, friendship, security and warmth.

The common thing about life is that it is always now. And since I'm 'here' now I might as well focus my thoughts on now. Dwelling on the past seems to pause my present, which inevitably stagnates the progress I wish for my future. Consequently, I'm faced with a very common dilemma. What will I 'give' my attention to today? What will I 'allow' myself to focus on today? Should I think about what depresses me, or should I fight my own thoughts and force myself to think about what I do have, what can be done with what I do have, or about what I know I am capable of doing, even if I am required to go through more unpleasant circumstances to accomplish my goals.

Depression, happiness, peace, pleasure, security and warmth are states of mind. These states of mind are foremost in my thinking because I collected a group of thoughts related to them. I had a choice.

Depression is a choice. Choose wisely, grasshopper!

19. Julesjedjr

Julesjedjr New Member

TYBG I wish you well as you work through your depression. I have struggled with depression my entire life. From what I understand it is hereditary or can be and I got it from my father. My mother decided to put me on antidepressants at the young age of 7 because I was always in pain, I never talked, never ate, and never slept. The thing is I have a great family and was well taken care of so the only reasoning for my depression had to be chemical imbalances. Once on antidepressants I started talking, sleeping, eating, and was not longer in pain.

Growing up I struggled with depression during hard times in life, like every time I moved away from home. I am just now 26 and recently made a new move far from home. Even though I feel depressed sometimes it is no where near as bad as it once was because I learned tools and skills to help me along. Through the years I have talked to 4 or 5 different therapists. Mostly through clinics and through the college I was at. It is important to find a therapist that you like and feel comfortable with, not all therapists are gems so try not to be discouraged if at first you cannot find someone.

Medication would be a good route if you are severely depressed. When I first sought help in college I was in such a low place and my wall was so thick I couldn't even talk to the therapist or psychiatrist. I started medication and went back a week later and was able to talk freely and wasn't so deeply depressed.

I don't like being on medication. The medication numbed me to the point where I couldn't physically feel pleasure. I physically felt numb, but mentally I was more balanced. So if you decide to take medication watch out for the symptoms.

Right now I take a small pill called 5-HTP Gold. I recently made a big move and have felt really depressed some days. To the point where it is hard to get up and go to work. This small little pill has helped balance out the chemicals in my brain.

I would say seek help and figure out some tools that will help you fight your battle. It is hard I know but if you are strong and motivated you can do it.

What helped me the most was that I found 2 great friends who both empowered me and only ever saw the best in me. Anytime I told them about my problems with depression they supported me and never made me feel foolish about the way I was feeling or why I was feeling that way. They helped me understand my own strength as a person which was the most helpful thing.

I now wake up everyday and tell myself that I am responsible for my own life and happiness and no one and no situation can take that from me. This is the most important thing I have come to understand in my life and the most helpful.

I wish you all the luck in the world. If what I have said related to you and you want to talk more please don't hesitate to get in contact with me!

Have a wonderful day!

20. WritingMuse

WritingMuse New Member

Yes, we do have a choice with our thoughts, and directing them towards positive things and people will help us to be more positive, but a free choice in how we feel can be very difficult with moderate to severe depression. It is more complicated than our intellectual assessment of our thoughts allows for. Depression usually, if not always, masks an issue that needs to be resolved or a circumstance that needs to be changed or the need for a better understanding of something important in our lives.

However, you are right to point out our own choice in what we think. Having that choice is empowering, and putting it into practice is very effective in changing our negative thoughts into positive ones.

Laurel lady and Julesjedjr like this.
  21. Julesjedjr

Julesjedjr New Member

This is a great post! What we think is our choice, but depression has a way of smothering any happiness or optimism to the point where it hurts. What is worse is when you think "oh it is my choice whether I am happy or sad. Why can't I just be happy." When I was in the deepest part of my depression I always said this to myself. I was always mad at myself wondering why I just could not be happy.

This is a very bad place to be. Some people have a very strong negative inside voice. What I learned from one of my therapist was to NOT tear myself apart when I was depressed. Because being mad at myself for being depressed just made it worse. She said instead to not judge myself so much. To let myself feel however I was feeling but not to judge it.

It took a lot of practice, but it was one of the most helpful pieces of advice I ever got.

Also another thing I used to say to myself was "why am I so depressed. The things in my life are not that bad or not as bad as someone else's life experience." I felt this way to the point where I would just try to suck it up and get on with life, but it never worked. Finally I talked to one of my therapists about this and he told me this:

"There is no point in comparing your experience to someone else's. It is like comparing a broken bone to bone cancer. Yes, one is worse then the other. But they both need treatment to heal."

And that right there was the most important thing for me to hear. It helped me to truly stop feeling bad about myself for how I was feeling.

I rambled! But I hope something in my rambles has helped. I have a lifetimes worth or experience dealing with depression. I know things that have and have not worked for me and feel a desire to help anyone who needs it!

WritingMuse likes this.
  22. PlayItSafe

PlayItSafe New Member

I turn on music - my favourite playlist!!! And sing loudly! My sister says:"Stoooop, you're screaming!" :)
    I enjoy music!It makes me feel alive :)

23. Paul Looper

Paul Looper New Member

The best way to deal with the occasional bout with depression is to exercise to blow off steam. A healthy body means a healthy mind in many respects. Doing some creative tasks can also help. Stay busy and develop as many meaningful relationships as possible. The more support networks you have surrounding you will make it easier to cope with the daily grind. Stop depression in its tracks before it starts to get out of hand!

24. Connie McKinney

Connie McKinney New Member

25. Connie McKinney

Connie McKinney New Member

Exercise helps to lift people out of depression. Start by walking. Work up to jogging. Join a gym. You will feel the endorphin kicking in, and your mood improving.
    Also, see your doctor for a complete physical exam. Sometimes depression stems from a physical ailment.
    Your doctor may be able to prescribe you antidepressants, which may help you.
    Best of luck to you.
    Antidepressants may help. See your doct

26. TCBurton

TCBurton New Member

Man, oh man, depression is one of the toughest things that I've ever had to deal with. I have a high stress life and there are certainly times that I just don't want to leave my bed. I have found that if I can get myself to the yoga studio, even if I lay down in savasana (dead man's pose) for the entire class, I feel better. When I feel overwhelmed about a project or life in general I tell myself "Just do today." Today is manageable, there hasn't been a day that I haven't survived so far! When I start to spin in my mind over all the kids and finances and on and on I just feel paralyzed. I know that alcoholics say "One Day at a Time" but that's a great mantra for all of life! "Just do today" is a note that I have written in my bathroom and on a sticky note in my car. It helps me.

27. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I try to refocus my mind. Lie down, take some deep breaths, relax as much as possible. Then think about everything that makes me happy. There's so many things that I should be grateful for. I do that until I start to feel better. However I tend to avoid getting depressed at all costs. Whenever I begin to feel sad, I do not let it overcome me. No matter what happens, getting depressed is not going to help us in any way. It will only make things worse!

28. javnewbie

javnewbie New Member

A few years ago, my depression became so intense that I contemplated suicide. It wasn't a feeling of "my life sucks" but a strong feeling of "pointlessness" in life. It was then that I decided to seek treatment.

I've been taking Prozac and doing daily walks or jogging in the park or around town. It's helped me tremendously. I no longer have thoughts of suicide or even have feelings of hopelessness. I'm glad I saw a doctor when I did otherwise I might have taken my life and caused misery to everyone around me.

29. MagentaMondays

MagentaMondays New Member

My biggest struggle with depression is that it takes away my motivation. It's really hard to be motivated to get out and get some sunlight when all you want to do is lie around and entertain yourself with technology.

From experience, I think the more positive you are (by doing anything to positively impact your life such as taking up different hobbies, trying a new class, or exercising) the more positivity you invite into your life. If you think about it, incorporating these positive elements into your life will not only make you happier, but it will surround you with people that are taking the same steps to incorporate positivity into their life, and thus, you are inviting in more positive new friends into your life. I think adding more positive actions into your life will both make you feel better about yourself (physically and mentally) and invite more positive people and interactions into your life.

30. TheStoryteller1

TheStoryteller1 New Member

Hmm...I think how you deal with depression really depends on what kind of depression are you going through.
    If you are generally more sad than happy, or even feel miserable, but retaining normal schedule and managing to make yourself do things, then there are certain usual things you can do. Go walking, sunlight, writing out your feelings, talking to trusted people, joining new things that you might like...But if you are at the stage where you can barely get out of bed, there is a lot deeper problem that you have to deal with.
    I was at that stage about 1 year and a half ago, and it was hard and messy. I couldn't do any of my normal things, I had to do work from home and even that was a problem...I went on walks though- long brooding, 2 hour walks, listening to music and trying to gather my thoughts. I was crying all the time, and binge eating. At that point I made a choice to get better. I started facing the real problem that led me to depression slowly, writing, getting out the worst parts of my past and really dealing with them. I also did the walking and so on, but I think facing the real problem is what eventually got me better. Most of the time I didn't even think it would work, but I thought I've got nothing better to try- so I tried. It usually made me feel even worse. I would also read on depression and try to do what was recommended, a lot of which was failure. I tried yoga for example, which I previously enjoyed...but at that time, I would cry in the middle of it, so I couldn't do it for more than 5 min at a time. Writing in online forums with other people going through the same thing is also helpful- it made me realized a lot of people have went through something similar, and also a lot have recovered. It's a relief when you realize that the thoughts that make you feel crazy a lot of the time are completely normal. I wrote in recoveryourlife.com, in their forums, as well as making a blog.
    Anyway, now that I am better, I still have challenges. Sometimes I still start getting sad a lot, so I started doing dances. And that has truly been life changing...but I first had to be well enough to take it on. Otherwise, it's physical activity, it's good for your happiness and health...but also, it let me meet a lot of great people. And since it was challenging to do (being in bed a lot over the course of a year is bad for your shape) it was a great confidence boost each time I had progress in it (basically every second class).
    Anyway, this are the things I've seen from experience. Thanks everyone who has posted before me. Some of the advice given was actually helpful to me too. I'm not that deeply depressed anymore, but I have moments where I'm getting sad a lot again, so I have more work to do. Some things that people said really made me realize some things about myself too. :)