How do you deal with depression?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TYBG, Nov 14, 2013.

1. aleanna0926

aleanna0926 New Member

I personally do not know anyone who is depress or undergoing any problem psychologically. But if ever I will be put to someone's shoe being depress and suicidal, I would love to have someone to be with me. Not physically but emotionally, Someone who understands and someone who appreciate. Why? Because if ever someone will come up to me and tell me that they feel sad or something, whether it is deep as the ocean or shallow as ponds, I would be more than willing to assist them and support them. I would constantly tell them that they always have to cry and lean on to. It is not something you do physically, iI think it is something you do emotionally for the person. It is letting them know you are there and you care. That no matter what happen you got them back and you'll push them to be better and to feel relieved.

2. She

She New Member

Talk to your family or friends. Relaxed yourself. Well for me, those who surrounds us are from God. God gave them to us as his instrument to bring joy and hope for us. Don't be afraid to seek help. As long as you focus on your goal and set your life as your priority, you will be able to overcome it. Stressing yourself will just make it worst. Trust yourself, you can do it. Be strong I am praying for you. Remember that there's a rainbow always after a rain! :) Keep on holding, I know you can do it. Do things that will make you happy and will let you forget negative thoughts.

People experienced it too like me. But you just got to be strong! At my young age, I experienced depression. I feel like I don't have anyone by my side. I have no real friends and there are some who are bullying me. I seek help from my parents and in that situation, I learned that they are my real friends and of course I was wrong, there are some good and real friends that supports me. All my prayers came true in God's perfect time.

3. She

She New Member

Talk to your family or friends. Relax yourself. Well for me, those who surrounds us are from God. God gave them to us as his instrument to bring joy and hope for us. Don't be afraid to seek help. As long as you focus on your goal and set your life as your priority, you will be able to overcome it. Stressing yourself will just make it worst. Trust yourself, you can do it. Be strong I am praying for you. Remember that there's a rainbow always after a rain! :) Keep on holding, I know you can do it. Do things that will make you happy and will let you forget negative thoughts.

People experienced it too like me. But you just got to be strong! At my young age, I experienced depression. I feel like I don't have anyone by my side. I have no real friends and there are some who are bullying me. I seek help from my parents and in that situation, I learned that they are my real friends and of course I was wrong, there are some good and real friends that supports me. All my prayers came true in God's perfect time.

4. looper913969

looper913969 New Member

It depends, sometimes I succumb to it for a while, wallow and cry. But to survive depression, you must know different ways to be happy and that happiness is a choice. It can be difficult sometimes, but after reading this article: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/thai-nguyen/hacking-into-your-happy-c_b_6007660.html
    I realized that there is hope after all.

Scientifically speaking, depression is basically caused by your brain's insufficiency in producing positive neurochemicals: Dopamine, Serotonin, Oxytocin, and Endorphins. So for some unexplainable reason, that certain circumstance that made you depressed depleted your brain's supply of these happy chemicals or neurotransmitters. And so you need to boost these happy chemicals for you to combat depression, the different ways to do so is in the link above.

5. Morny Hilary

Morny Hilary New Member

There's a lot of people I know who are battling depressions. Some of them went to Doctors and currently undergoing medications. As a believer of God, I am confident that nothing is too hard for Him to do. He is able to heal depressions. So whenever you feel that you are being attacked with such illness, rebuke it in the mighty Name of Jesus and just pray fervently, refocusing your mind to God.

6. W0lverine8

W0lverine8 New Member

If you’re depressed, you need gentle, daily regular activities to recover. When I'm depressed, I feel like I cannot achieve anything so I set small goals. These goals must be attainable like cleaning your room every other day. When you feel better, try more difficult daily goals. Exercise. It stimulates the release of endorphins which can make you feel relaxed and happy. You don't have to join a triathlon you can just walk a few times a week. Be careful about what you eat. According to my shrink, there are studies that foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as sardines and folic acids like peanut butter or raw peanuts could help alleviate depression. Lastly, allow yourself enough time to sleep.

7. vinvill

vinvill New Member

One of the best way to deal with it is to think that some people suffer more problems than you some.people cant even walk or bedridden so you have to think that you are blessed with your situation right now and think of ways which you can divert your depression like humanitarian missions,going out with your friends or your partner and most importantly pray.

8. Dictator20

Dictator20 New Member

I have alot of friends who are suffering of depression and even me is undergo with depression before. For me depression is very serious thing, and I suffered in it for almost a year. And one day I realized that I have to do something to fight my depression cause if not? maybe I am no longer existing right now. because that time I always wanted to hurt my self. I felt like no one cares in me. and I think that my life has no value anymore. I drink/smoke a lot every day because I think it can help me not to overthink but it doesn't. I watch alot of motivational videos and it is funny, you know why? because I always think that those videos are not applicable in me cause I think that I'm not a normal person. All of this happened for almost a year.

After that I realized. that I have to fight my depression, I have to do something. so I stopped, drinking/smoking and all the things that wasn't good for me. yes it takes time before I totally controlled my self. I Disciplined my self. I started going to church every sunday. I started eating healthy foods, excercising my self. and I am here now. I can say now that I am a depression survivor.

I am telling you this because I want you to know that everythings gonna be alright, if you think that your world just repeat over and over again, it means that you have to do something new, something that can make you a better person. yes I will admit that it is hard. but you have to do it to save your life. no one will gonna do it for you. So do it.
    I will pray for you. NEVER SURRENDER. FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

9. Chinzo

Chinzo New Member

I dealt with depression incorrectly before, I would self hurt myself, self medicate myself and went to hospital because of it and had time to meditate about the things I've done, but thanks to time, I created a routine for myself and learned to digress and move on. During that time I was able to seek refuge from friendships and family. I met with people and mingled and soon I met my lover and now Wife. As they say out of destruction comes creation. Peace.

10. thefivestar

thefivestar New Member

You are not the only one experiencing that kind of feeling. It may be hard, but here are my ways of fighting depression:

1.) Travel. Find a way to schedule a trip to somewhere that will make your stress go away. For example, going to the beach and swimming. It is better if you do it together with your friends. Being alone is terrible and you won't notice after hanging out with your friends, your sadness goes away.

2.) Date with your boyfriend/girlfriend. This is probably the most effective way of relieving your depression. In my experience, being with my partner makes any sadness goes away in an instant. A little hug and kiss make a powerful feeling that even word is not sufficient to describe them all.

3.) Play and have fun even in little ways. When I'm bored, I play computer games on my Personal Computer. It depends on what makes you feel good. For example, listening to your favorite music, playing guitar, dancing, etc. You have to know what makes you happy and do it.

11. tharshman

tharshman New Member

Please take heart in knowing that you're not alone. Depression can manifest itself differently in different people. What helps one person feel better may not help another. There are many levels of depression. Thinking happy thoughts and counting your blessings may help if you have a case of the blues. But no amount of positive thinking will likely help someone in the dark depths of despair. A chemical imbalance in the brain is different. I know. I've suffered from depression all my life. Entering adulthood, it became the unwelcome guest that dropped by and stayed too long. I spiraled downward into a cold, empty pit. It affected my ability to think and make decisions. I couldn't function at work. I began to have dark thoughts. That's when I finally talked to a doctor, and he prescribed Zoloft. For me, it worked wonders! Zoloft put things in perspective again. The fog lifted. My mind cleared. That being said, good nutrition and exercise are extremely important to our mental health. But if you find yourself getting worse and not better, please see a doctor. You may have a chemical imbalance. Before you can run in the sunshine, you have to be able to crawl out of bed.

12. tharshman

tharshman New Member

Please take heart in knowing that you're not alone. Depression can manifest itself differently in different people. What helps one person may not help another. Also, there are many levels of depression. Thinking happy thoughts and counting your blessings may help if you have a case of the blues. But no amount of positive thinking will likely help someone in the dark depths of despair. (I've been there.) A chemical imbalance in the brain is different. I've suffered from depression all my life. Entering adulthood, it became the unwelcome guest that dropped by out of the blue and stayed. I spiraled downward into a cold, empty pit. It affected my ability to think and make decisions. I couldn't function at work. I began to have dark thoughts. That's when I finally talked to a doctor, and he prescribed Zoloft. For me, it worked wonders! Zoloft put things in perspective again. The fog lifted. My mind cleared. That being said, good nutrition and exercise are extremely important to our mental health. But if you find yourself getting worse and not better, please make an appointment to see a doctor. You may have a chemical imbalance as I did. Before you can run in the sunshine, you have to be able to crawl out of bed. God bless you!

13. niknaks

niknaks New Member

I am also battling with depression right now. There was a time that it is all good and fine day and all of a sudden my mood changed and i feel lonely and sad and i don't know why or what's the reason that triggers me become sad. Yes, i know i'ts weird but this is what depression is all about. It always makes you sad, angry and hardest part is putting your life into danger because of the suicidal thing.

As of now i am helping myself to deal with depression. One thing that i am doing is doing the things that makes me happy. Going out with my friends, travelling with our family, watching movies, listens to music, eat different kinds of dishes are some of the things that really makes me happy.

In my opinion, nobody can help us to get through this, it is ourselves who can really help to overcome the situation. One thing is for sure that can help us is to always be optimistic and be happy all the time!

14. danahabarro

danahabarro New Member

I just gave birth last June, and still, I have a post-partum stress. but I'm trying to overcome it, Postpartum is to those of you who don't know about this, this is an anxiety which you get after birth because of hormonal problems.

what are the signs I have encountered?

I feel unloved by my husband, I feel like I am so ugly, pimples are coming, hair loss, being fat, boobs get big.
    a lot of things coming to my mind, I am crying for no reason. those are the signs I have encountered. I feel afraid because I have seen on TV some postpartum depression leads to killing their selves or loved ones, and I don't want this to happen to me. therefore what I did is to seek help from your family, make your self-happy, divert your self. and focus on the good things only. and never overthink things. Just enjoy the moment of being a mom, and treasure every single day with your baby, and pray to God to guide you on your path.

15. Mochi-kun

Mochi-kun New Member

Listen to music, read books, watch movies, eat healthy and do some exercise. With your extra time, always keep yourself busy with the thins you like to do. Do not overthink. It’s not easy but if you always think about negative thoughts it makes the depression grow larger. Always focus on the things that makes you happy.

16. Wilart0023

Wilart0023 New Member

How I overcome depression? The first thing comes to my mind is to relax my body and take a deep breath. I need to think the fact that it is not the end of everything but, it is only part of life. Everything have solutions and answers why this things happening to my life that causes depression. But the truth is, there's no good benefits that the depression gives to us and to our health. I always think positive all the time and accept everything in my life. I always command my mind to avoid being depress and think something else that makes me happy.

17. Leonardo Cepe

Leonardo Cepe New Member

Depression drains your energy, hope, and drive, making it difficult to take the steps that will help you to feel better. But while overcoming depression isn’t quick or easy, it’s far from impossible. You can’t just will yourself to “snap out of it,” but you do have more control than you realize—even if your depression is severe and stubbornly persistent. The key is to start small and build from there. Feeling better takes time, but you can get there by making positive choices for yourself each day.

Dealing with depression requires action, but taking action when you’re depressed can be hard. Sometimes, just thinking about the things you should do to feel better, like exercising or spending time with friends, can seem exhausting or impossible to put into action.

It’s the Catch-22 of depression recovery: The things that help the most are the things that are the most difficult to do. There is a big difference, however, between something that's difficult and something that's impossible. You may not have much energy, but by drawing on all your reserves, you should have enough to take a walk around the block or pick up the phone to call a loved one.

Taking the first step is always the hardest. But going for a walk or getting up and dancing to your favorite music, for example, is something you can do right now. And it can substantially boost your mood and energy for several hours—long enough to put a second recovery step into action, such as preparing a mood-boosting meal or arranging to meet an old friend. By taking the following small but positive steps day by day, you’ll soon soon lift the heavy fog of depression and find yourself feeling happier, healthier, and more hopeful again.

18. DoughBreezy

DoughBreezy New Member

I can't say that I have ever been depressed to the point where I have to take pills for it or see a therapist but I had moments when I felt melancholy. I felt alone and wanted to remain alone. There wasn't a specific way that I with this feeling, it just seemed to pass by. People deal with their depression differently. We are all different so we have different ways to become happy. When you feel depressed, you should do what makes you happy. If you get to the point where you can't find happiness in doing your best hobby then you should speak to someone. Our problem is we think nobody will understand us or listen but truth is, there's someone out there who will understand the pain and suffering. There will always be someone with the comforting words that will help your melancholic mood.

19. gabgtchln

gabgtchln New Member

For those who suffer depression out there, you can and you will overcome it no matter what as long as you don't give up.

I suffered depression to the point I did not talk to anyone even my family for almost a month because I feel like there's no point of talking to anyone because that will not make my situation any better. A lot of things are going on in my mind that time because self-love is the root cause of my depression. I don't like the way I look, basically I don't love myself and I feel like no one's gonna love me in a romantic way as well. But i never gave up, I slowly learn to improve myself one aspect at a time and not rush things and trust God. EVERY LITTLE THING YOU DO IN A DAILY BASIS WILL ADD UP THAT WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO YOUR GOAL. So fast forward to now, I'm progressing I can feel it. I do get lonely every now and then but I can overcome them much faster than before. I'm slowly learning to improve myself everyday and to love myself, flaws and all.

20. Ma karen Lee

Ma karen Lee New Member

Depressions nowadays is scattered around the world. It population will be doubled if we dont know how to deal with it. As a nurse it is most important to talk to the person who is suffering from depression. We should always be with them so that they will not think that they are not alone. We should treat them as a normal person so that they will not think that they are sick. And we should also help them how to deal with their problems.

21. Girlet79

Girlet79 New Member

This is a tough question but is a good one. I noticed that I have a tendency to be depressed when I got bullied at work. I was working then in another country and I felt then that I have no chance in justice since she is a national there. I was her superior but she has been working there a few years before me. She shouted at me and glared at me in front of junior staff and I just sat there trying to hide the pain from embarassment. There were days that I won't go to work because I would feel sick but I know that those illness were just created by my mind. I was given Prozac, and was advised to breathe in and out in a paper bag. I was diagnosed with anxiety. That's when it hit me. I should not let her treat me that way but because I cannot do anything to her, I decided to quit my job. I went home for a month and just totally do nothing. I recovered and can say that I am happier now. I'd lie if I say that depression has never been a proble after that. There are still days. But at least I know how it feels like and so before I even go to that "depression stage", I try to be as happy as possible.

My advise for you is to try to clear your mind with all thoughts first and analyze the situation. Is there something you can still do? Like somebody bullying you or somebody is hurting you physically? You can still QUIT. If it's regarding your job or relationships, just quit. Talk to someone. Seek help from friends. Search the net for funny stuff and try to laugh hard. You will find it fake at first but soon you will laugh genuinely. If it worked for me, and still is working for me.... It will work for you too. Good luck!

22. Noragamijeaddo

Noragamijeaddo New Member

I deal with depression with simple things like exercise, take cold shower , eating , speak to someone like family, girlfriend or friends. Exercise has lots of benefits including reduce your depression, after you exercise you will feel a bit relax. Taking cold shower will change your state and make you feel better as well. Also I include eating but what you eat will indirectly affect your depression. Lastly try to open up to someone, talk about it.

23. Eden Carvajal

Eden Carvajal New Member

First, accept that you are suffering from depression. Many people that are suffering from it are mostly in denial, the result is their over all health suffers.

Second, know the roots of it. You can never solve anything if you don't know where it is coming from.

Third, Unwind and Reflect. Surround yourself with positivity. Surround yourself with the people you love and Love you as well.

Lastly, Love and accept every bits about you.

24. Jy Garcia

Jy Garcia New Member

This matter is very sensitive indeed. I had been very depressed during my college years where I had a very bad relationship. I was depressed and I have massive thoughts of suicide every day but i got through it all.

I watch videos on Youtube, Contents and messages online, and friends which I talked to in the internet. (my family and my friends didn't know about it)

I got through with it thinking that i am in a temporary position in life where almost everyone in the world goes through with it. Also I was thinking back then and kinda helps me a lot also is that I am not the only one who is going through with it. A whole lot of people is actually enduring the same thing which makes me think that even in that kind of state, I am not alone.

One successful thing that i have done is to just smile and fake it until it all shines out to me naturally. After a couple of months, I realize that i was not feeling that intense gloomy feeling in my chest and everything was back to normal.

These forums also help a lot to those with depression. Kudos to the creator of this!

25. Christian Rust

Christian Rust New Member

I firmly believe taking any form of medication or drugs is not the proper manner to deal with depression. For me personally, the best way I have dealt with depression in the past is by taking up some form of physical exercise or physical hobby. by physically exercising our bodies produce more feel-good hormones and decrease the levels of cortisol in our bodies which will, in turn, decrease the levels of stress and depression we will experience. Thus, I would recommend getting a physical hobby or team sport you can participate in to give yourself the best chances of eliminating your depression.

26. SpicyShrimp08

SpicyShrimp08 New Member

It's not easy but you have to make the most out of life. Surround yourself with people that you're comfortable and happy with and kickout all the negatives. Do everything to make yourself happy and contented. Fight depression, lock it up in a vault and forget the password. You don't have to do all things at once. You can take little step by step. And most importantly, hey, love the way you are, love yourself :)

WendyLouWho likes this.
  27. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho New Member

I was diagnosed with severe depression and PTSD about five years ago. I had experienced several traumatic experiences in a very short time, and it felt like my thoughts just overtook me. The messed up part about that is that I had no control over my thoughts. I explain that period of my life as my brain felt like a big concrete wheel rolling down a hill, destroying everything in its path and I could not make it stop. I moved away from my hometown because I felt like I needed to be alone... to regroup without any distractions. And I did just that. I also laid in bed for about 9 months, the most inactive I had ever been in my life.
    Spring came back around that year, and it was if I had woken up with the birds and the flowers. I was still depressed, but I was determined I was going to do something about it. So I started forcing myself to get out of the house, at least one night a week. When I was mentally healthy, I used to love to go to little coffee shops and such, so I decided I was going to start doing that again. I also started taking magnesium, which helped immensely! As time has gone, I still take magnesium, and I have included wheatgrass into my daily life in tablet form because it seems to help as well. I am not depressed anymore, though the strangest part to me has been working on breaking those habits that depression produces. I realized recently that if I play a video game for too long now it triggers something in my head, since that was alot of what I did when I spent that nine months in bed. For me it has been figuring out the little things like that and tweaking them to help me live as healthily as I can. I am working on it.

28. Hi guys. It is me the working mommy. I was in this state of mind when we got ourselves in a deep financial mess. I even started cursing God, believe me. But the very first thing that helped me was my husband's continuous support and love. Depression is very difficult. It is not just affecting our emotional state but also our psychological state. The worst part of it is if gets worst, it will become self destructive. I didn't get to that stage, thank God. My husband understood me and helped me conquer the thoughts, the feelings.

29. Charles Solis

Charles Solis New Member

For me I always try to have fun with my self, Since depression is just a matter of thinking the hard problems that you are encountering, There are many people out there that because of the affect of depression lead them to suicide and i don't like that word one bit in encounter of depression people should just have fun and try to relax in this kind of satiation.

30. nelbirgato

nelbirgato New Member

I just found out how to make myself happy but just watching videos on YouTube. I was so depressed and lazy one time that I just watch a vlog instead and then after watching it I am not sad anymore. I just need to accept that some things I cannot control. I just need to let go and be grateful of everything. Everything is about choices. Choose to be happy, have inner peace, inner joy. We can have everything we deserve at the right time and so I don't worry anymore about anything. I decided not to be depressed again. I make notes to myself to remind me to be happy whenever I feel down. Life is good and be an inspiration.