How do you encourage people to comment on blog posts?

Discussion in 'Writing for Blogs' started by Jomz, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Jomz

Jomz New Member

Blogs are not a one-way media. We write our ideas and content, and the readers are encouraged to write a comment, and an interaction with our audience is created.

However, there are a lot of times when readers do not leave comments on blog posts. This could be due to a lot of reasons - perhaps they don't have the time to leave a comment, perhaps they do not know what to comment, or perhaps they don't want to. Often, they would just leave a "Like" and be on with their lives.

Commenting helps build rapport with your audience, and also encourage them to return for another visit.

How do you encourage your visitors to leave a comment?

Thanks and have a nice day.

2. kattsallie

kattsallie New Member

I do not have a blog but I am hoping it is o.k. to input my thoughts and opinions on this subject. Why I think my opinion may matter is because I am going to compare this subject to wanting input, feedback, or comments on anything that I do. I am hoping that my explanation will draw out the comparison, and we will be able to see the similarities about wanting a comment on a blog or wanting a comment on how my new recipe tasted.
    First of all, if I want someone's opinion, I ask. Now I understand people are encouraged to comment, but many times they do not know what to comment about. Asking a specific question will generate more replies in my opinion. When I ask my husband how lunch was, I usually get a reply, almost a grunt of "good". When I ask him what he thought about the new deli meat, cheese, or bread his answer is not so closed. He tells me that the bread was thicker, dry or plain ole delicious. Not the best example I know, but I believe people want to engage, and they want their voice to matter but they may need a push--asking someone a specific question about your blog , or asking for help in reference to your blog in my opinion will generate feedback. And when one person tries to help you, others will follow suit either to disagree, or to give you their more "important" opinion or feedback.
    So I did not compare as much as I was going to--I would need much more writing space and time to reflect and comment. But I believe that people want to help. I recently watched a sneak television show where a person was in a bad situation, in need of an extra few bucks to finish a grocery transaction, and taking up a lot of time checking out with many many coupons. The other shoppers or people checking out reacted with general frustration, lack of patience, and typical stereotypical behavior towards someone using food stamps. The lady cashing out with multiple coupons who was an actor by the way, asked the cashier if she could go get another item or two. The cashier also an actress allowed this behavior and the people in line were in shock, disgust; eyes were rolled, comments made. But when the lady cashing out asked a person in line who had just groaned in frustration for help, the lady quickly smiled and helped her grab the items she needed--this scenario was played over and over again with the same results. When people were asked to loan a dollar or two to someone receiving government assistance they did, and the same with helping the shopper retrieve more items although she was holding up the line.
    Again not the best comparison but strangely enough I make the connection. When we are asking for a comment, an opinion, a dollar, or help most people will give a dollar, an opinion and/or help if they can--if it entails an individual helping someone else and their input being valued, it helps that person fulfill a need of their own. So two needs are fulfilled. And again I believe if a person is asked their opinion on something specific they will be more likely to engage. People by nature do not like to fail so if you haven't defined what your needs are, your needs will not be met. If I am uncertain about an expectation, I generally ask because I do not want to give the wrong answer--likewise someone commenting on a blog may not be confident enough to just "comment". Rather than saying please comment below, try asking people to comment on something specific in your blog, ask for an opinion on your writing style, or maybe ask for ideas that may make your blog better.
    I am hoping that my ideas and thoughts are considered even though I do not have a blog or a need to generate traffic. Because again, I do strongly believe that if you can figure out how to fulfill the needs of your audience, then the audience will help you. What does your audience need is the question for you to answer--most of the time it is pretty basic. Acceptance and value of their self worth, people want their opinion to matter, and their thoughts to be heard.