How do you find inspiration for writing?

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Challenges' started by Ana Dilan, May 26, 2017.

1. janey1129

janey1129 New Member

I am a very observant person and even the most mundane thing can trigger the writer in me. Just now when i saw your post, it gave me an idea that when you write, it should come from deep within, something that brought out such strong emotions when you saw it. I am a young grandmom and just seeing that my grand daughter trying to sing and dance to something that she saw on t.v. made me see that i should be more careful in the things that she watches. We parents and caregivers to the young one's are responsible for what they become some day. Then as i was perusing the news on CBS, i felt sadness overwhelming me because of the shooting in Vegas. This tragedy brought out the protector in me thinking that there are a lot of crazy people out there and would hope to advocate real time measures for protecting the kids of today!
  2. Rosie12345

Rosie12345 New Member

It can be frustrating to have a project deadline looming over your head, as you stare at a blank computer screen with an equally blank mind. This can be so upsetting because the harder you try to come up with something to write, the harder your mind plays at staying blank. Lucky for me I have devised a three-step strategy that helps me come up with inspiration for writing.

The first step is to clear my work area of any distractions. No cell phones, no television in the background, no checking email and definitely no visitors. My work desk is usually as clean as a whistle with only my computer screen looking back at me. Having this clean working station allows my brain to focus on the task at hand and get the job done.

The second step is to keep a notebook and jot down all the interesting and quirky things I see on a daily basis. You never know when you will need to write an article on a beached whale rescue. Thankfully, you had your trusty little notebook handy and jotted down some notes on how the rescue team got that gigantic whale back into the water safely.

The third step is to stay current on the news locally and around the world. I make sure that I stay current on most current affairs and know what is going on. Following this step has really improved and increased my knowledge on local and international issues. I am now more comfortable and confident in writing about topics that I would have never tackled in the past.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. sweetpot81

sweetpot81 New Member

Inspiration is a big factor in writing. It is the process of being mentally stimulated to do something creative. Experience is one of my inspiration, I consider that as my number one because I was able to express the feeling I encounter, the joy and the pain. If im aiming or want something, that serves as my inspiration. I need to focus on that thing or need to exert more effort for me to get it. I should be determined to what I want. I should know why I want it and for what that I want to have it. Finding or looking for something interesting, trying something new is also a way for me to find inspiration for writing.
  4. Leotwin2

Leotwin2 New Member

What is something you can write about for hours and smile and laugh at your own comments? That would be your topic. Is there an interest that you keep searching, reading or even talking about and didn't notice? That is an inspirational subject for you. Is there something that your friends come to you for advice about all the time? You have an inspiring message somewhere!
  5. Krizzy

Krizzy New Member

I seldom write. But once I do, I usually base it on my experience, or on what I feel during that moment. In that way, I find writing much easier, as everything would come out of my mind naturally. Most of the time my writings are just random thoughts, so they are short and simple.
  6. pager

pager New Member

Music music music. Nothing like it
  7. Ronald257

Ronald257 New Member

Inspiration can come at any time due to any number of factors. Usually, when I'm relaxed and in a good mood, ideas may flow so fast my writing speed may not be able to cope up. In that case, I try to write keywords. Others try to record their thoughts and write it later. Of course, prayer and meditation can help to bring a calmness that may trigger thoughts well worth writing. God is the source of wisdom and we can ask Him to teach us according to the book of James.
  8. Realistic

Realistic New Member

Iam inspired to write by the turmoil of my thoughts and feelings. Confusion to me is creativity. When in a mixed emotional situation I find thought racing through my mind. They are great ideas that I transform to interesting stories which obviously involves some emotional touch. Also observation makes me write a lot. As a kid I witnessed mum hit my dad. I expected a retaliation, from the current family feuds it was always the opposite. Dad didn't retaliate ,this observation made me have a different perspective in life. I had a burning sensation to write about it because I really wanted people to know my perspective. That's how my first written story came about.
  9. rosebud1

rosebud1 New Member

Ideas comes to me everywhere when i am away from my computer, so i have to do a mental summary of what i want to write and how i want to write it, and as soon as possible i have to put it on a papper. With some luck, when i reach my computer i can shape the idea just as it was in my mind
  10. vy rose

vy rose New Member

Finding inspiration is a great step toward writing and producing great content. I find inspiration from reading widely. This gives me more interesting ideas that i write on. In the process, I also read inspiring stories that motivate me. I also find inspiration from listening to music as it helps me relax and focus more.
  11. Roma Delgado

Roma Delgado New Member

When I was young, I cannot express myself well in writing. Maybe because I didn't have much experiences to share and to write. But now at my age, I encountered so many trials in life like: financial problem, family problem, marriage problem, and others. I just realized that those experiences I encountered in life made me tougher, wiser, and expressive in conversation orally and in writing. I just remember the quote: Experience is the best teacher. And, I think this is very true because I learned so much from my experiences. I join the postloop because I feel I'm equipped with so much energy and knowledge about anything due to my experiences. So, whenever I write something I always look back to my past and present and trying to figure out something that I learned from it and put it into writing. My experiences, God, and my loved ones are my inspirations in writing.
  12. maileen6582

maileen6582 New Member

My inspiration just comes from within, maybe from experiences. I just write my thoughts and ideas about anything from the books I read, from the lessons I learned in life or from the lessons I learned from the people older than me. I think the best inspiration comes from within. When you are so full of love and dreams you become very inspired.
  13. Christian Eclipse

Christian Eclipse New Member

As someone who keeps on dreaming to be a professional author someday and materializing steps towards it, I draw inspiration from my experiences, family and favorite writers. I always make it sure that each stories and poems I'm doing have souls. Although I want to be the next and as amazing as J.K. Rowling, I must put in mind to create my style. I'm also driven by the fact that we are not in a stable state of living, inspiring me more to keep on moving. :)
  14. reizel27

reizel27 New Member

I love expressing my self through writing . I get inspired when i feel different emotions . When i'm angry, depress and feeling loved sometimes it doesn't matter where we are because the greatest piece is with in us, all we need is a piece of paper and pen . When our emotions comes out we didn't even notice that we already construct a word, words will automatically pour out. We can easily be inspired from the experience we have everyday and the people around us that affects our lives. I use writing for motivating my self or even motivating others for go further.​
  15. April797Star

April797Star New Member

I go to amazingly serene places when i write. The calmness of a place makes me want to pick up my pen and write about everything, i could even go on writing for hours. Once i was in Coron island in the Philippines, the scenery is so awe inspiring i immediately bought a cheap pen and a notebook because i left my usual journal at home. I had to buy another notebook because i already filled the last notebook that i bought in a week.
  16. soulspen

soulspen New Member

One source or my writing inspiration is that i have this particular quit garden where i usually go to write, its quiet; i love serenity, and it has this beautiful sight, you can see the hills and and the evenings you see the sun go down.
    First, i have my quite time, like about 30 minutes, the i read something just to exercise my brain, something like poems of motivational book( just a chapter ) then i pause.... pick up my pen, close my eyes and i start thinking...
    i let my imagination run wild, and it just flows; i don't push it, i just let it come.
    Is it effective ? yes!.. though not always and when it dose not come to me i just listen to sweet melodies and lovely capsules from Adele's rigorous albums.
    Also painful memories makes me write and i mean cry and write for hours without pausing.
    Likewise when i fell loved i also write; I guess my feelings at different moment inspires me to write different genres, articles and poems.
  17. AnZala

AnZala New Member

I am working as a writer (freelancer) and I get my inspiration from different things.

Since I need to write to earn a living, that (in itself) is the inspiration. I need money, that’s why I need to write. Yes, there are those days when I don’t feel like writing. And yes, there are those days when I get mental blocks. What I do is I just keep on writing – because I have no choice. For me, this method works (I can write without any significant inspiration). Do whatever works for you – that’s what I’d say.

For the times when I am not that desperate for money, I can write more leisurely. These are times when I can simply choose not to write when I don’t feel like it. When I get writer’s block during these times, I can choose to just get away from my computer and take a breather.

Needless to say, it’s more enjoyable to write when you are inspired. For me, I am particularly inspired when I write about topics I like. Since I am into cooking, gardening, and Internet Marketing, I find myself enjoying my work when I am writing about said topics.

When times are hard and you don’t have any inspiration to write, I suggest looking for any bit of inspiration in your environment. Your loved ones can be your inspiration. Even your pets can be your inspiration. Just knowing that you’re doing something valuable can be your inspiration.
  18. josereyjesus

josereyjesus New Member

Personally, you don't have to find it.
    Inspiration will find you. Writing is not a obligatory. It is a form of expression and inspirations will flow if the need to express is there.
    As a writer, I believe that to be effective, we don't have to find the inspiration, what we have to find is the need. What's the difference between the two?
    Let me define inspiration as the tool you have to cultivate the need to write. Without the need, your tool would be useless. It would just be there hanging around.
    In the context that some inspiration are shortlived and that sometimes you ran out of it. Don't panic. Inspirations are everywhere. Look outside, or maybe what you really need is just simple rest.
  19. 20Neon

20Neon New Member

Writing, to me, is a hobby. It is from the inner me. Luckily I understand my inner self and get inspired daily to continue being me, that is the writer in me. All those who have a passion for something will physically tell you they have a supernatural push to do it over and over again. It never gets monotonous, its like your doing the same interesting thing anew. Inspiration also comes from the need to be outstanding. Achieving perfection drives me nuts.

Reading amazing articles gives a lot of inspiration. Reading and creative writing both answers back to each other. Marvelling at interesting articles gives me the drive to write one like it. You will often find me fully psyched to writing after reading or even watching. The well directed storylines from movies gives me a visual and written understanding of the creative world. This is where most of my inspiration comes from, it is what fuels my crazy mind to continue coming up with numerous ideas.

There are some dramatic events we always want to keep reminding ourselves of. That is why most of us have diaries, to keep something in memory contributes to the inspiration to write. The fun in these events gives me an active brain and expands my creativity to creating something twisted artistically out of the same. It is creativity and inspiration at work. Writing is definitely pretty.
  20. Joanne Almario

Joanne Almario New Member

If you like writing or reading the answer is yes definitely. Literature is created not just as a source of information or news but also encourage people through inspirational word. Every letters of a sentence will become more valuable if you get the attention of the readers to inspire and give symphaty to them. A good type of genre is to benthe bridge to change or guide readers living in this world dispite of all challenges or trials they face
  21. Bizarrio

Bizarrio New Member

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I can write quite well and other times I am quite ordinary.

If I am knowledgeable about the topic, I can write pretty long articles. If not, I struggle badly.
  22. judemartin

judemartin New Member

I am a freelance writer and I am always trying to find inspiration. If you happen to have a writer's block, get away from the computer for a couple of hours. Go for a walk to clear your head and try again later.
    I discovered that I have more inspiration when I am working outdoors. I love to be in the nature when I write.
    Another good tip is to start working early in the morning. Complete most of your work then because your power of concentration will be higher during the first hours.
    How do you find inspiration for writing
  23. ClioHistory@23

ClioHistory@23 New Member

I find inspiration everywhere. But I discovered that for you to write something it must be something that interests you. Plus you could really find inspiration in movies or books or anime. Or if you really like to write about articles or an opinion about some things that you ponder, you also have to research and inspirations came from all that hard work that you put into it. According to Thomas Edison "Genius Is One Percent Inspiration, Ninety-Nine Percent Perspiration", so if you put hard work the inspiration will come along as you made that journey. Then after all that research that you put through your writing, you have to decide for yourself if you want to publish what you wrote, because after all your hard work would be for nothing if nobody saw what you wrote.
  24. Eden Carvajal

Eden Carvajal New Member

I travel a lot. That is where I mostly get my inspirations. But in every little things, just about anything under the sun or even your bad experienced can turn into a great source of inspiration.

You can also find inspirations deep within yourself. Just reflect and unwind and it will naturally come to you.
  25. TwinMomma

TwinMomma New Member

Writing professionally not only requires inspiration, it requires motivation. I often receive both of those things from my children. I believe that writing is a very personal experience, therefore a pull from my personal life. Depending on the piece that needs to be written, I reflect on a part of my life that brings me into the mood necessary.

Humor pieces are inspired by the silliness of my little girls and pets. More serious pieces, I draw from the what I felt when my son left for the military. We all have moments in our lives that have generated, happiness, sadness and laughs. Use these moments for inspiration.
  26. Jsteph

Jsteph New Member

Pablo Picasso quotes_ "inspiration exists, but it has to find you working". In the search for inspiration sometimes, we sometimes lost what is important or rather don't grasp what we are meant to write, inspirations has to come while you are working. I believe that inspirations don't come to you just by doing something else or seeking it, inspiration is an everyday phenomenon, you don't wait for it to come it is already in you.
    My point is don't wait on inspiration, sometimes lost while you wait it might never come, writing everyday without waiting for that push to drive you can sometimes result to blank pages. Learn to write everyday, it will make you more creative, I keep both my journal, my diary and also my works it is an everyday thing for me. Write everyday, jot down all your experiences on a daily including your works, in no time you will become a lover of writing and you won't see any difficulties in writing.
    Rumu likes this.
  27. relp

relp New Member

the very job of writing itself is inspiring enough as it helps to better the linguistic skills of a person, to detect those weaknesses that cannot be detected through any other ways, to make ideas clearer as without knowing something clearly nothing can be written on that and also to show forth the personal stand-point of a person on a specific topic clearly. however, it is true that getting called for writing exactly the same type of pieces can be frustrating and in a case of that type much focus and will-power is needed. to overcome a problem of that type, a writer needs to focus on the rewards that are attached to do such a job
  28. Jsteph

Jsteph New Member

Pablo Picasso quotes_ "inspiration exists, but it has to find you working". In the search for inspiration sometimes, we sometimes lost what is important or rather don't grasp what we are meant to write, inspirations has to come while you are working. I believe that inspirations don't come to you just by doing something else or seeking it, inspiration is an everyday phenomenon, you don't wait for it to come it is already in you.

My point is don't wait on inspiration, sometimes lost while you wait it might never come, writing everyday without waiting for that push to drive you can sometimes result to blank pages. Learn to write everyday, it will make you more creative, I keep both my journal, my diary and also my works it is an everyday thing for me. Write everyday, jot down all your experiences on a daily including your works, in no time you will become a lover of writing and you won't see any difficulties in writing.
  29. stainedlala

stainedlala New Member

What really pushes the right words out of my head is time. I've learned that in high school, when a paper is due a day after I'd do it the night before or early in the morning of the deadline. You might not consider that an inspiration but it really does help.
  30. sylvie_003

sylvie_003 New Member

I personally find inspiration in nearly everything. Especially if my current work has a clear theme. For example, I am currently working on a fantasy-inspired fiction that holds a lot of nature themes. Mostly flowers, trees, and forest animals.

I thorougly enjoy going to places that connect to that theme, like a botanical garden or garden centre. Something as simple as going to a near park will do it for me, too!

Music also helps, for example, with a scene that in my opinion is quite magical, I often listen to 'Stars Beyond' by
    Rooms, but when I have to write a sad or considerably unsettling scene, I like to listen to 'If I Get High' by Nothing But Thieves.
    This really varies, but it helps me 100 percent of the time.

You'll just have to try and look for what will work for you! Maybe try planning dates to do something that reminds you of your work. This works really well if you've been feeling kind of rusty with your writing!

I'll be going to a zoo soon, one where I know they have a beautiful inside garden with exotic plants and a ton of butterflies! I'm going to sit down and write as much as possible.
    I'll also be studying the behavior of the animals that appear in my fiction. I'm going to sit down in front of a deer field and write the way the interact down, for example. Study the things that'll appear in your work to make sure you get them right!

If you're just going to stay home, I suggest setting the theme too. I already have a lot of plants and flowers in my room, which definitely helps, but I also love darkening the room and lighting some candles. I usually put on insence because it gets me in the mood for writing, also.

Good luck! You can find inspiration in the strangest of places, so don't be afraid to do things you feel might inspire you!