How do you improve your writing as a nonfiction writer?

Discussion in 'Nonfiction Writing' started by petitnousnous, Dec 4, 2017.

1. petitnousnous

petitnousnous New Member

I love to read and have always loved to write, but I find myself more drawn to reading and writing in the nonfiction genre. As with any skill, I believe you must practice (and practice, and practice) in order to do well, but any time I look up writing exercises or prompts, they all seem to be fiction based: "You wake up and find that all the people in the world have turned into ducks..." or "One of your characters has found themselves trapped in an oil painting...". I find it difficult to feel motivated to practice my writing skills using fiction examples and was wondering if I'm missing something. Is it better to simply use fiction-based writing prompts anyway? Should journaling be a major part of nonfiction writing practice? Are there prompts or exercises out there that I'm simply not finding? What is your experience?

2. Cmg5034

Cmg5034 New Member

One of the most common manifestations of bad writing is overuse of the passive voice. In English, the most basic sentence structure is S-V-O: Subject-Verb-Object. “The zombie bit the man” is an example of this sentence structure. The passive voice can cause confusion by putting the object first: “The man was bitten by the zombie.” It usually requires more words and use of a “to be” verb form, which can suck the energy out of your writing. Learn to avoid these constructions as much as you can.[

3. Hrshy_snchz

Hrshy_snchz New Member

One of the best way to improve your writing as a non fiction writer is to read critically whether the works of a great authors or co writers; Good writing is simply not possible without reading. Because if you read more, you will learn more effective writing techniques, to appriciate the nuances of words and to get an inspiration as well. Also, believe in your skills because that is what really matters most.

4. racethebar

racethebar New Member

As a nonfiction writer, the best way to improve your writing is to read! Be it novels, academic books, magazines, newspapers, tabloids, or even promo materials, reading will definitely help a writer expand his vocabulary and enhance his way of expressing his/her thoughts through words.

5. Melancholy

Melancholy New Member

To echo the other replies - read! Take note of a non-fiction authour's techniques, and try and use them in your own work. Note what works, and what doesn't, then see if you can see those in your works. Do your best to listen to critisism and advice too! That's the best way to improve on all skills, and it's spefific to you.

Be critical of your own work; is it concise, clear and readable? Is it interesting? How can you improve it? I've found writing groups to be great for improving both yourself and other's writing, since you're exposed to other works, and their way of writing.

6. Vimtuous

Vimtuous New Member

Write about your personal life. Write about the things that have been formative for you or left a lasting impact or that have stuck with you in some way. I tend to write fiction, but I also really like nature writing when the mood strikes. Being outside has always been something I enjoyed and it's fun to write about the world around you.
    One of the practices that I've done is to go sit outside, and write about everything you can hear. You'll be surprised at how many sounds you can actually hear once you stop and trying and pin them all down.

7. vonnie45

vonnie45 New Member

In my opinion, journaling is the best way to practice writing. I had a literature professor in college that preached writing in a journal on a daily basis. I had the privilege and honor to accompany her on a business trip. The motel incorrectly booked rooms. Therefore, we shared a suite. That evening, she got out the journals and began to write. That was proof she practiced what she preached. Start writing whenever and where ever possible. It will come!

8. heliogabalus

heliogabalus New Member

Definitely another vote for reading more, at the moment, reading academic literature in the humanities is particularly productive for me, but it of course depends on what sort of non-fiction writing you do the most.

9. ep_nacional0210

ep_nacional0210 New Member

I don't know about writing all I can advise is BELIEVED in yourself, HARD WORK WORKS, use your imagination, Non-fiction came from our POWER MIND!

10. daisy15

daisy15 New Member

Everything you want to do is get really well done so you can get what you want. I like to be a popular writer and this is one of my dreams. everything I make to improve my creations. I read about what to read in order to gather information about whether to use my novel or a poem. I was hoping I could make a novel that everyone really enjoyed.

Knowing how to read a some books might help me. and this is my way of how to improve myself in the field of writing. Torah learning in every word is also an effective way to increase your knowledge in creating novels.

So for me the way other improvements and enhancements to my writing are reading and reviewing the words will cover and match my reading materials.

11. Lynn Fowler

Lynn Fowler New Member

In non-fiction, the inspiration comes from the subject rather than from an external prompt designed to stir your creativity. Choose a subject that you are interested in, and ask yourself, what would people want to know about that subject? Then do the research. Find out as much as you can about the subject in general, and the aspect that you have chosen in particular. Decide whether your article is going to be an opinion piece or "just the facts, M'am." If you are writing a more factual piece, you will probably want to be a little more formal in your style than if you are giving your opinion, but you still need to write in a way that will grab - and hold - the reader's attention. And of course, always be careful with your spelling and grammar.