How do you really become a successful freelancer?

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Jobs' started by Lefttidge1823, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Lefttidge1823

Lefttidge1823 New Member

I have heard it said that freelancers make good money. I have always been complimented on my writing, and still nothing. It all began about 6 months ago when I decided to give it a shot. I put my best out there, and I didn't make a dime. It's hard to just start freelancing. I gave it up shortly after starting it. Maybe some of you have tips on how to get started. I would like feedback. How do you really become a successful freelancer?​

2. ElisabethNL

ElisabethNL New Member

I like to add to this very adequate list to always enclose a message when you bid for a job. In that message you do not only explain #5 of the above list, but you also mention in a few lines why YOU are the one for the job, and nobody else...
    Also do not only mention your skills and portfolio samples in your profile, but add a few personal lines about yourself (and I do not mean whether you like cats or spinach...). Give the other party the idea they are dealing with a person, instead of a virtual writer. Also, bid on some newbie tasks first and ask for a review when the job is done. Build up your stars... a good rating is VERY important!

3. macgirl1968

macgirl1968 New Member

I would like to add to this to the great advise that you have already been given here: When freelancing, especially when starting out, have as many eggs in your basket as you can. Different kinds of eggs can be good too instead of all writing work. This way you have numerous sources to make money from when one or two do not have work for you. It can also be helpful while waiting for jobs to come in from jobs you are bidding on. I found that having a mix of good paying to not so good paying online work has kept me afloat to be able to pursue what I love and have the freedom that I so desire at this point in my life.

4. sspi

sspi New Member

1. Start with a relatively low rate so as to attract buyers and then eventually increase it.
    2. Sign up on several sites so as to spread out and increase your chances of getting orders.
    3. I think it is really important to build up a good online image of yourself, that is, you work so hard and so well that you manage to get many recommendations and positive reviews from clients. This will reflect incredibly well on you and it is a win-win situation and a virtuous cycle as more clients will come your way.

5. emma.regalado1

emma.regalado1 New Member

To be a successfull freelancer you have to work hard, have discipline and focus. You should learn how to manage your time to maximize the quantity of your work and focus to ensure the quality of your work. Communicate with your clients to know his/her expectations and do your best to meet it.

6. Jaypee Ladiao

Jaypee Ladiao New Member

Professionalism in this kind of job is surprisingly challenging because if you want to be successful you need to become humble, open minded and creative person. In a sense that you would be dealing sorts of predicaments in the areas of time management, target people, and how to deliver your stuff. You need a lot of effort into this kind of job comparing to the ones who are employed permanently. I believe in our challenging economic ways and in dealing how to become a good money earner you must know how to really trust your craft and be able to establish a good rapport to your target customer for they are the ones who will be willingly engaging to your business, also it is a must that you are knowledgeable in social media and other online stuff because it can also boost your reputation genuinely to your potential customers. Freelancing jobs is not a typical job nowadays but it can also be a good source of income.

7. ChalexIII

ChalexIII New Member

The key to success for any freelancer is consistency. Being consistent about your work ethic and your professional demeanor is important if you want to land the right job. When you're dealing with different clients, you also have to deal with their specific demands. Being able to meet your deadlines and giving pertinent follow-ups is highly encouraged so that you client feels that you have high regard for the task that was assigned to you. I highly suggest that you pursue something that you're passionate about if you're planning to pursue a freelancing career. Therefore, you will have time to showcase your skills and even make good profit out of it. Just keep looking for the right opportunities, create a harmonious relationship with your clientele, and find ways to boost your productivity and your efforts will pay off in no time.

carolinasky likes this.
  8. Rosie12345

Rosie12345 New Member

To become a successful freelancer, the first thing you need to do is determine what type of freelancing work you would like to do. If you already have some skills, such as graphic designer or website content creator, then you are ahead of the game. If you don't have a skill set yet, then do some homework and figure out what you're good at. Compile a list of your hobbies and passions. This list will help you narrow down a niche that you enjoy and are passionate about. As long as you are passionate about this niche, you will have an easier time doing that freelancing job day after day, month after month, year after year.

The next thing you need to do is create a business profile for yourself. Make sure that you mention your skills, your experience, why they should hire you to do their job. Be sure to mention that you value honesty and integrity, therefore, you will never over-promise, just to under-deliver. Obviously, you want to have good grammar if you are a writer, impeccable attention to detail if you are a graphic designer and follow all instructions given to you by the client.

Finally, you need to create a personal brand that is pleasant, competent and delivers. You want to start gathering social proof by getting testimonials from satisfied customers. To achieve this you need to create accounts on social media. Create accounts on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram, and Pinterest. Make sure that you fill out all the profile information no matter how trivial you may think it is. Post on your accounts and engage your audience. Offer free, valuable information regarding your industry and how you work to solve your audience's problems. Always go above and beyond especially with customer service, as this creates goodwill and referrals.

ronneltaliman likes this.
  9. sweatt6

sweatt6 New Member

There's no easy way to being successful in whatever career. Success can only be achieve through hard work and being resourceful. To be a successful freelancer your fundamental should be your dedication to your work aside from your talent. Because if you are dedicated to your work, nothing can stop you from exploring things to be more productive. These includes your time management, proper introduction of your self, be specific to the work that you offer. That could help you become successful, but don't ever forget, always ask God's help for He can provide you the best.

10. mahjabeen

mahjabeen New Member

To become a successful freelancer the main thing to focus is time. I mean the deadline, if the deadline is for 24 hour, one should be quick and try to complete it before 24 hours deadline gets over. This way the buyer or customer may trust you for the next time and you will get more work.

11. mich0621

mich0621 New Member

The key to success for any freelancer is consistency. Being consistent about your work ethic and your professional demeanor is important if you want to land the right job. When you're dealing with different clients, you also have to deal with their specific demands. Being able to meet your deadlines and giving pertinent follow-ups is highly encouraged so that you client feels that you have high regard for the task that was assigned to you. I highly suggest that you pursue something that you're passionate about if you're planning to pursue a freelancing career. Therefore, you will have time to showcase your skills and even make good profit out of it. Just keep looking for the right opportunities, create a harmonious relationship with your clientele, and find ways to boost your productivity and your efforts will pay off in no time.

12. linconbright

linconbright New Member

Becoming a successful freelancer needs a lot of hard work. But these are some tips and trick to really become a successful freelancer.

1: When you’re just starting, don’t sell yourself short but don’t ask too much either
    This is quite a dilemma for most beginning freelancers. Especially for those like me that used to work for a fixed salary.
    I thought: ‘I know my work is top quality but if I ask a high price, nobody would hire me because I am a beginner. If I ask a low price I will end up doing top work for pennies’. And I kinda didn’t want to accept anything lower than what I was making as a chef.

2: NEVER ASK for payments outside the freelancing platforms.
    I am going to tell you about a bad experience I had with Upwork, which I believe is unfair and I hope you will avoid it.

So I was writing recipes and taking photos for a client and the job was posted on Upwork. When I negotiated the price with him, we spoke through the platform’s messaging service and I told them my hourly price, which had to be paid through Upwork. But I also told them to pay for the ingredients cost outside the platform, as I found it unfair to charge them Upwork’s fees and VAT for that.

The next day we both had our accounts suspended forever, without the right for an appeal and without them answering to any of our complaints. Just like that, my hard work of building a solid profile and feedback was gone. Not giving the right for some sort of appeal or a more thorough look at the case is in my opinion unfair for both freelancers and employers. Hopefully, they will do something about that in the future.

13. junrose123

junrose123 New Member

For me to become a successful freelancer needs a lot of dedication and passion, It entails here hardwork and patience because becoming a successful freelancer will takes time for you to be able to reach your goal. You must have the talent and skills that are necessary steps for your success. You must be optimistic and be positive that you will be able to reach what you want for your self.

14. darylalminanza

darylalminanza New Member

I would like to add to this to the great advise that you have already been given here: When freelancing, especially when starting out, have as many eggs in your basket as you can. Different kinds of eggs can be good too instead of all writing work. This way you have numerous sources to make money from when one or two do not have work for you. It can also be helpful while waiting for jobs to come in from jobs you are bidding on. I found that having a mix of good paying to not so good paying online work has kept me afloat to be able to pursue what I love and have the freedom that I so desire at this point in my life.

15. jiezlejimenea

jiezlejimenea New Member

Avoid Burnout and Don’t Quit Your Day Job at the Beginning
    The key to avoiding burnout is not to overwork yourself and this means that you need to set realistic deadlines. Don’t agree to take on too many projects at the same time, and don’t agree to pressing deadlines just because that’s what the client wants. Make sure you give yourself the time needed to perform at your best because that’s the only way clients are going to continue giving you work, while it’s also necessary for your health and well being.
    This can be a double-edged sword as you’ll need to invest all of your energy into getting projects and completing them within deadlines which means that combining work and freelancing might be very difficult, but by being patient you’re ensuring ease of mind since you’ll be able to have a salary while you are building your reputation.

16. ronneltaliman

ronneltaliman New Member

I've never been a successfull freelancer, but Im trying to reach hard something enteristing about online jobs but many more failed because of scams,spam wrong news or anybody invite but it;s to bad you go to scam really makes me fail but you cant give up god makes ways to you to becaome a successfull freelancer,I realy hard word to do this job.

17. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster New Member

Working as a freelancer is not for the type of person who wants immediate results when working. Freelancers in the industry of writing need to be grammatically correct, Focus on the subject and uses their imagination when writing. You need to know first in yourself what kind of job to do you want and how do you want to earn them. Working as a freelancer is really hard especially when you don't know what you are doing.

18. ArghyaDeepGhosh

ArghyaDeepGhosh New Member

There will be a lot of advice flooding in for your question. As an ex-freelancer I would say these things are most important:

1. Typing speed should be more than average. Make sure you don't take too long to type or success will take a lot of time!
    2. Work smart. There will be times when you might be in a fix. Spending too much time can end in failing to submit within deadlines. Work smart and form sentences in a way so as to use the information according to your needs.
    3. Conversion is one of the most important things to remember. Re-writes and information from online websites need to be re-written in your own style and language. This is a form of art that needs to be mastered real quick because plagiarism isn't encouraged anywhere.
    4. Divide your work throughout the day. Don't spend too much time in one sitting. Divide the work pressure and work into three small shifts. That keeps the efficiency at its citadel!

Hope this helped!

19. Arlene Calamba

Arlene Calamba New Member

Hello everyone. I just sign up in Postloop community yesterday and this is my first day to look forward into it. Among all the forums I read in the row, this is the first forum topic that catches my eye. Maybe because this is exactly how my mind want to ask - me. Since childhood, i really love to write. But I got no chance to do it or improved it because I went into a medical field profession that actively time demanding type of job and forget about it. Next year, I decided to resigned and settle at home with my family. I never stay with my children since they were born. I just usually stay with them in 1 months each year (vacation leave) as I work overseas. The short pattern of being with them are repeating each year up to I realize that they are growing so fast and maybe I will missed their childhood if I will not give up on my job. And to resign..is the best thing I want to do as mom.
    While waiting for my overseas contract to end, I started to think of things that I want to do after resigning. Beside being a mom whom willing to be at home with the kids, I want my vacant time at home to be useful, no idle time. And my passion in writing which was leave behind for so long..comes up in my mind but I don't know how to start, where to start and how to become successful to it. I read each of the reply in here and they enlighten me. The tips that they share are all applicable and realistic. The thoughts that they post are encouraging. It looks like simple to read but it really count so much to me as it really helps. I'm so blessed to read your post. Cheers.

20. mohit aggarwal

mohit aggarwal New Member

If you want to become a freelancer, the first of all, you should understand your talent and when you find out that you have this talent in it, then you should just focus on it and work with patience and wait for the right time. Patience is the key to success in the field of freelancing jobs. I am also a freelancer and recently working on 5 plus freelancing sites. What I learn as a freelancer is just be patient and passionate about your services.

21. Chakwaina

Chakwaina New Member

I am just getting serious about my freelance writing. I see that many have already given you great advise, that I will be studying myself. I have done a lot of research into the current freelance market. I have also signed up for a career course at a respected and accredited school. Brushing up my various writing skills, learning how to properly market myself and getting practice at the same time.

I have also actually scheduled in time for school, practice writing (maybe later some of these pieces will bring me some money) and I refuse to quit my regular job until I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, I am going to make it in the freelance writing world.

22. Paulina1

Paulina1 New Member

Freelance writing has its good days and bad days, like every other job in this world. If you imagine yourself in an office environment surrounded by people when you work, you can acknowledge the feeling of just a good day at work or a bad day. After you leave your home office at night, have your spouse ask you "Did you have a good day at work?" My hardest problem was not seeing this as a regular office job. Most days my creative mind will function with my fingertips on the keyboard and I feel like Mozart playing the Concerto in Carnegie Hall. Some days I get writer's block so I just take a 5-minute walk outside and think of the first object I see and describe it. I also call someone and ask them what they are doing so I have a new topic in mind. Then the creativity comes back. Make sure to keep motivating poems, pictures, and websites near you and post positive thoughts. It takes a lot of discipline and perseverance and you, of course, have to love what you do! I have tried Fiverr, Upwork, and other freelance sites and you have to take the tests and courses as there is a lot of competition out there. Best of luck to everyone and keep on keeping on!