How do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by xina4581, Feb 27, 2016.

1. xina4581

xina4581 New Member

I recently decided to train to run my first 5k. I was doing great, getting to the gym 3 times a week to work the training program, and got up to the first day of week 3 when I got sick with a horrific head cold alongside my son getting double ear infections.

I'm finally on the mend and eager to get back on track, despite the nagging voice in the back of my head trying to convince me to postpone my race, or abandon altogether. Helping me to stave off the Negative Nancy shacking up in my head, I'm making a "return to running" playlist to get me excited to get back at it.

How do you stay motivated or get motivated to return to a fitness routine after an absence or illness?

1 person likes this.
  2. PrettyPeachyKeen

PrettyPeachyKeen New Member

You definitely should rest when sick -- your body needs the time to heal.

I do identify with the lack of desire to return though -- I do much better when I'm in a routine than when I have a reset. Two things help me get back in the swing of things. First, I try to start small - maybe I don't feel like a run, but can I at least talk myself into a 10 minute walk? Usually by the time I put on my clothes and go for a walk, I can talk myself into running.

Second, I ask myself what "future me" would want -- would future me be more upset that I walked ten minutes but didn't run or that I didn't even try to get out and do something? Future me wouldn't want me to quit, so I do it for future me. Hope this helps!

3. tennesseemommy

tennesseemommy New Member

Well I was in a definite rut where activity was concerned and the main thing that helped me was purchasing an activity tracker. Seeing how few steps I was making in a day yet still feeling so rough was a motivator to pay more attention to my activity level. Also, it encourages to log your meals and drink more water and seeing your bad habits down in writing is a great way to feel that push to change them.

Also, I do some activities that are fun as well as exercise. Walking with your children and/or pets, dancing and shopping, are all great for keeping up your activity level while also having fun.

4. angelxsss

angelxsss New Member

It probably sounds pretty dumb, but what motivates me is stickers. I have a wall calendar just devoted to working out, and I bought some sheets of stickers from the dollar store. Every day I work out, I get a sticker. It really motivates me to see how many days I worked out last week and to push myself harder this week, or this month vs last month, or whatever. I also like seeing the "streaks" I can achieve!

1 person likes this.
  5. Markll

Markll New Member

I think about how good it feels after the workout. The body feels refreshed, the mind get's clearer, the sweat cleans your pores, you feel better. Endorphins kick in after a while so it's addictive. But if you had health issues you must fix those first, don't train when you need to rest.

6. edz26

edz26 Member

As a mother my children serve as my motivation to conquer all the negativity that surrounds me. I try to seek positive way to become more motivated o achieve my dreams and goals not only for my self but also for my kids. My family as support system and prayers are my great inspiration to keep going on even how hard life is.

7. Motivation is temporary!

Listen guys, although motivation is a very good way of getting something done, I don't rely on it because there are some days that I don't feel motivated at all, and there are some days that I feel so motivated on working out.

My point here is, rather than motivation, I rely on creating good habits. Once you have established to work out on a daily basis, it becomes a part of your daily routine, that means once your body is used to work out everyday, it creates a mechanism and if you skip it just for one day, your mind and body will look for it.

Think of it as of brushing your teeth. Your mind is programmed to brush your teeth 3 times a day or 2 times for some. If you skip a day without brushing your teeth, you are going to feel incomplete and that is why I believe that creating good habits is better than motivation.

8. Nettie

Nettie New Member

When I was young, I wanted to grow up faster and become an adult, but now that I'm an adult, I wanted to turn back time to escape from all these stress adulthood gives. It's hard to stay motivated but what I just tell myself is that, I need to focus on what I'm doing because I have siblings who depends on me, and parents whom I support. I also have goals that I wanted to fulfill.

9. Jaynshi

Jaynshi Member

I try to stay motivated but one discouragment pulls me down. However, listening to motivational speakers helps alot

10. arevalojosea

arevalojosea New Member

I have to say it is pretty hard to stay motivated. What I do to stay motivated wether it be about losing weigth, or exercise, or eat healthy, is to keep doing the daily routines no matter what can interfere in my life. Sometimes it's pretty hard, and of course, I'm a human being, I get no motivation from anywhere sometimes, but I have a schedule to follow, and I try to make it as much as possible.

11. sasoytope

sasoytope New Member

I must say spoil yourself just a bit. Like buy a new pair of running shoes or new gears. You need to feel good first. And yeah a "return to running" playlist is a good idea. There's also this TED Talk I watched on YouTube about motivation. The speaker said that motivation is crap and I agree because it's not always there when you need it. She talked about a technique you can do like countdown 5 to 1 and start do what you need to do. You can also do this to keep positive. Every time there's a negative thought that comes to mind, count down and re-direct your thoughts to positive one. I too just got back to running and doing daily exercises. This works for me.

12. jwright1026

jwright1026 New Member

Motivation is difficult to achieve if you do not already have it. If you have a goal that you want to accomplish, you need to find motivation to get you to where you want to be. For example, if losing weight and being physically fit is one of your goals, you can try to think about all of things that matter to you; like your family, friends, and professional life. You can think about how important it is to not let these people down and how much you want to make them proud and how much your life will change for the better. This will help you work harder because you would want to do well for those you care about. Another way of staying motivated is by simply collecting a picture of one of your idols that mimic your physical appearance dream. Choose someone that you want to look like, and place that picture on your refrigerator and your door, so every time you walk by it, you will think about how bad you want to look like that.

13. lazydaisy

lazydaisy New Member

Mind over matter, that's the name of the game. I would advise creating a list of your daily activities and planning your meal in advance. This will keep everything organized and it would be easier for you to achieve your goals. After waking up, go over your daily list and focus on how to achieve it. For me, recording my progress also makes me more motivated. I feel very happy when I am seeing the results, it serves as a reminder that I am not just wasting my time and effort. :thumbsup:

14. kenny2525

kenny2525 New Member

Most of my motivation stems from competition, which for me can mean different things. Depending on your goals you are either competing against yourself to better your PR or in other circumstances you are competing against others to win your age group in a race.

I used to compete in triathlon on a regular basis and depending on the race I would either set goals of simply finishing, bettering my PR or winning my age group or the entire race. Many factors effected my goals such as experience with the distance, size of the race (in terms of competitors) as well as how healthy I was at the time.

15. ps007

ps007 New Member

I started getting into sports at 13 when I was introduced to martial arts. As a kid, I've always focused on music, visual arts, and video games...nothing physical. Well, my mom's into arnis (a striking martial art that involves the use of sticks) but she's always busy at work. My dad, he's into basketball and karate but he's working overseas. Left to my own device, I just resulted to entertain myself with non-physical activities. Come high school, our Physical Education focused on ball games. I literally sucked at volleyball, but to my surprise basketball's been my favorite? I may have sucked at dribbling but my bully nature (back then) was no doubt an asset to getting the players of the other team injured. That's when I felt I was the star of the court. Hahaha! It did not take long for our principal to take action towards my uncontrolled bullying inside and outside the court. And that's when they endorsed me to a taekwondo (Korean martial art) class. I was ecstatic when I knew what I was going into because at that time I'm only after the bragging rights of being a martial artist. Heck, I skipped our sessions once I got a hold of my fierce uniform from Nike. Hahaha! I may say that I started pretty good. Sparring sessions are a piece of cake! Of course, at that time I did not know that my seniors are just holding back. Until our first tournament came. To cut the story short, because of my stubbornness I went home with nothing but a dislocated jaw and a fractured wrist. From that time on I swore to never skip a calss and push myself harder until I become the best jin in our dojang. Because of my fractured wrist I not only learned to do cartwheels and push-ups with one hand, I also developed an unusual technique of kicking mostly through my left leg to keep my balance while bearing that heavy cast on my arm. And the rest was all silver and gold medals galore! I managed to reach up to high-brown belt, but up to this day that monumental experience that honed my determination to succeed beyond the odds still serve as my motivation at work, in my new-found passion in racing, and in life.

16. Ants79

Ants79 New Member

My philosophy is “just do it”, whether I am in the mood to exercise or not.
    I find that walking briskly at least three times a week is a great way to keep fit, at least 2 km (1,25 miles) per walking session. I also recently joined parkrun, great Saturday morning routine, starting the weekend the correct way.
    Eating healthy is important, more fresh foods than processed is the key.

17. Mane

Mane New Member

How to stay motivated is to stay on your goals. Always remember why you are there in the first place . Love what you do, and do what you love. Focus on your goals, keep going. Start on the beginning, and please don't rush things because everything happens for a reason. Don't be to hard to yourself, but love yourself. Focus on what you want,and please don't mind what other people say.

18. skye22

skye22 New Member

There's a burning desire that will drive us to accomplish one thing. That fire will help us to set our goal, then we will decide when to start, will do some research and all that stuff. Somehow along the way, you'll feel disappointed because nothing seems to be happening. This is so familiar to me, what I do to keep the fire burning I just keep on doing what I have been started. It is so hard especially when you set a goal, say, I would do this thing for a year and see the result. I tried this many times gladly I succeeded. I beat all the odds, I just focused on my goal. I prayed and worked harder. I put my heart into it. That's how I keep my self motivated.

19. Zserter

Zserter New Member

I do four things throughout the day to keep myself motivated.

First thing in the morning, after I've risen from the bed, I pray a prayer of thanksgiving. Being grateful and being positive at the start of the day really unfolds more positive events and opportunities throughout the day.

Secondly after praying, I always make my bed. Accomplishing smaller task will give you boost of encouragement and courage to accomplish big task ahead of the day and if by circumstances failed you to accomplish those big tasks, at the end of the day you will still be grateful for a bed that is well made.

Third, I always watch motivational videos because for me it gives me the daily boost of motivation to do my best for the day. After that I always make a time for me to list down my tasks & priorities for the day. If you have a clear goal to what you will do for that day then the chances of you fulfilling it is also great.

Lastly, at the end of the day I do my reflection and evaluation of my day. I asked myself what could I have done better, what areas do I need to improve and what are the lessons I have learned that day. After all of this has happened I always end my day with a prayer of forgiveness and thanksgiving.

20. Aldrin-0oUf

Aldrin-0oUf New Member

Usually before devoting time to any specific endeavor, we tend to make short- and long-term goals. Remember to keep your goals realistic, that way you wont be disheartened if you don't reach them. That doesn't mean you can't push and challenge yourself though, if you don't challenge yourself, then it's not really a goal. If you start to lose sight of your goals, then you may be less motivated than if you were always checking to see how much closer you are getting throughout the whole process. Keeping track of your goals and checking your progress can help keep you motivated day in and day out.

21. josyyy

josyyy New Member

I have different things that makes me motivated. First, I always remind myself my goals, this makes me persistent and persevere on what I am doing. Second, I have an inspiration, my family, friends and sometimes my crushes. Third, I make a list of rules and consequences whenever I break that rule, this makes me consistent and on what I am doing. But most importantly is, I always talk to myself such as words like "You can do it self! I know you can" or "You came this far, I'm so proud of you!" and "Don't ever give up self"

22. menggay

menggay Member

What motivates me is my family specifically my kids. I've been through a lot financially and emotionally but they are there,supporting and cheering me up all the time. I am always thanking and praying that we will be healthy always and spend more years so I can repay them for all the good deeds they have done for me and my kids. Staying fit and climb every mountain helps me realize that I am still lucky to spend time and laugh with them and see the sunset and sunrise everyday and that inspires me to just go and fight!

23. jamesdagatan

jamesdagatan Member

How do you stay motivated? This is a very beautiful question. Have you ask yourself? How do I stay motivated? We, humans have different motivation, have different lifestyle, have different reasons and have different purposes. And yet, how we continue to motivated ourselves to keep going on. Personally, I motivated myself by thinking about the people I loved, I always think, how my work and job help them to be happy and in good conditions always. Sometimes every time I feel so down I always go back to the first reason why I started this journey. In order to be motivated, you must find yourself, you must love your self first, and forgive yourself. The time you learn and master yourself. That's the time the fire within will burst out with your desire to live.

24. apparationboy23

apparationboy23 New Member

For some background, I'm actually a very skinny guy, being called stick, toothpick, even branch by my friends. At first, I was fine with it, you know the usual friendly teasing, etc. But when I got to high school, I knew it was a serious thing, people looked at me differently, they judged me for how I looked. That's why I started to take weight gaining seriously in my 3rd year of high school. Last summer, I decided to enroll in a local gym, force myself to eat so much more. There are days wherein I feel down, and want to give up, weight gaining is NOT easy. People tell me to "just eat more bro", but in reality it is hard for me to gain weight, because of my metabolism I think? Back to the question, I normally watch transformation videos, with very skinny people being very muscular in like two years. That motivates me to start NOW, not tomorrow because I would just be wasting my time by waiting and waiting.

25. espraruxz@gmail.com

espraruxz@gmail.com New Member

We sometimes feel tired in everything we do and sometimes we like to quit but there are things that stop us from quitting; it is our motivation. For me, every time I feel tire in my studies but every time I feel that, I ask myself "what am I studying? " and I answer myself "it's for my brighter future". After a moment it really motivates me and feels like I regained my energy to go to school.

26. kaywriter

kaywriter New Member

Self motivation is very important. Most times when am tried and feel like quitting, my motivation comes from the anticipated result, i ask myself, "what will it feel like if this pulls through?" and the thought of a successful result drives me to put in more effort.

27. Natasha_. k

Natasha_. k New Member

As a busy individual it is easy to lose motivation sometimes although I can quickly recover from that state due to my ability to stay focused on my goals without coming across obstacles.

28. Marlibro

Marlibro New Member

I always find reason for me to be motivated in life . There are so many struggles that I went through ,from the loss of loved ones and my sons leaving home. I feel alone , empty, discouraged and broken but I stood up. I should stay motivated to continue with life and appreciating the good Lord has done to me. I cannot hold all worries and resentment all the time though those feelings had awakened me that there is so much life has to offer. Life is a gift from God and I should use it as an example to everyone to be strong, look at the positive side of life. It is not easy to live in this challenging world but all is written in the Bible that we shall pass all these trials and it is also written that there is eternal life for those who trust in the Lord.

1 person likes this.
  29. onicz2018

onicz2018 New Member

i always think positive and i always bare in my mind that no matter what happen and no matter what it takes there is a family that will always appreciate you all things you do.

30. guest267

guest267 New Member

Sometimes I have problems staying motivated. But what really helps me a lot is to watch YouTube videos about the thing you feel unmotivated about. For example, if I feel unmotivated about working out, I pick a random video about working out and it gives me a ton of ideas and it lifts me up. I also love to make moodboards with everything you want to do or archieve. When you wake up in the morning, you can look at your beautiful creation and see all of your goals at a glance. Try to use bright pictures and happy quotes, this will really bring you joy.

1 person likes this.