How does Technology affects a child?

Discussion in 'Cell Phones & Tablets' started by paulinejohanna29, Sep 19, 2018.

?

should you permit your child to use technology at a very young age?

1. YES

41.7%
  2. NO

58.3%
  1. paulinejohanna29

paulinejohanna29 New Member

I am a mother with one daughter. My daughter loves to search on youtube and through this technology, she started speaking with accent when she was 1 year and 8 months old. We live in Philippines and yet her accent was just as what she's watching on the site. (slight British) I guess.
    I don't know but my friends told me that technology on an early stage can affect a child in so many ways. Like her social skills and everything but for me, I guess it helped my daughter adapt and learn from it with a proper guidance also. Like what i do most of the time. There's a schedule for tablet and playing outside or learning some alphabet letters one by one. I thinks it's just a matter of strategy on how you approach a child with the use of technology.
    What do you think about this?

2. ElaineJoyRR

ElaineJoyRR New Member

Technology has its own pros and cons. Technology as a whole make our lives much easier, more comfortable and convenient. However, there are always limitations that we have to consider. When it comes to children, technology must have its own proper way of utilizing it. Gadgets like mobile phones, tablets and laptops should be limited and must have its own restrictions. Take for example a child who ages 2-5 years old, their growth and development at this time should more focused on their environment learning how to talk, walk, climb or play with other kids. Providing gadgets at this very young age would definitely hinder their growth and development as well as their health. Instead of playing blocks alone or with other kids, focusing on the use of gadgets would actually ruin they learning of social interaction. On the other hand, when children reach school age, the use of gadgets should already be taught to them but with complete supervision. During this milestones, they become competitive in school and that requires them also to learn new lessons thru the internet. Strict guidance should always be impemented during these times.

3. Markjim

Markjim Member

Technology is now became part of our daily lifestyle.Our day is not complete if we don't use technologies, but their is a bad effect in human specially on children ,it change their lifestyle and even their attitude and sometimes its the reason why their are children who committed suicide because of cyberbullying.So for me technology is helpful but not on those children's

4. inchan

inchan New Member

As for my observation, It has a positive effect in terms of the brain development of a child, I have a relative who's now 8 years old and she can speak in English fluently as a native American speaks without anybody in the house talking to him in English since all of them are pure Filipino's, She also is an achiever in their school and has advanced knowledge compare to her schoolmates. Unfortunately, the negative effect of this is that her social skills are very poor, she often talks to other kids and she doesn't go outside to play with other kids. It also changes her behavior since kids have a lot of chance to navigate to other kinds of stuff online and end up seeing adult stuff and somehow considered liberated for Filipino's. All in all there are pro's and con's on the effects of technology on children, but still, it depends on the parents/guardian on how they monitor and restrict them on their usage and their discipline in using technology.

5. gcm2455

gcm2455 Member

6. gcm2455

gcm2455 Member

Your child is too young for such kind of engagement with gadgets. It may have helped her in some ways, like making her develop mentally faster than the normal process; however, you cannot discount the need for her to socialize with others or even bond with you and other members of her family. Viewing videos on YouTube may make her preoccupied with that kind of technical activity that may make her lose her human connection or how she relates with the "realities" of living.

7. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

I would let my child engage in technology but under strict supervision. I want my child to be familiar with the growing trends that will help him or her later on. However, I don't want my child to be hooked on gadgets and forget everything else. It is a balancing act. That is my view.

8. luzclarizarc

luzclarizarc New Member

Technology can truly affect a child in many ways. It could be either in a good or bad way. Depending on the information that the child is getting off on the internet, which is either good or bad information (which is why parents should be aware of their children's gadgets). Try to engage with your child on what he/she is searching or doing into their gadgets especially if they're still young. Because sometimes, this is where danger starts. I am not saying that you shouldn't trust your child with technology but try to have some control and limit because it's also for their own safety. By the way, it's not all the time that technology is bad for children because, at some point, the technology could also be helpful in the child's development but with the supervision of parents/guardians.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  9. FutureMD

FutureMD New Member

Technology for children is not good, it has a lot of negative impact on the child's development. The number of hours that children spend on their devices and technical gadgets has increased exponentially. One of the negative impact of technology on a child is it may slow their brain because they don't get enough exercise, this lack of exercise is extremely bad for their physical and mental health because it can slow down their development. In addition to this, extreme use of technology may cause kids to become dyslexic which can cause their brains to not grasp things quickly enough. Outdoor activities and more exercise are important in kids’ development stage as they can encourage positive behavior, enabling them to gain confidence. Technology can also increase the risk of cancer because cellular phones and computer screens emit radiation which can increase the risk of cancer, especially in young children. This is why even the American Society of Cancer also discourages the use of such devices. And last and most importantly the child that uses technology may delay his/her cognitive development. The cognitive development of children between 2 to 3 years old can be adversely affected if they use devices for long periods of time. At this particular age, kids should learn and develop visual skills, spatial skills, and motor skills in order to lead a normal life. Such skills are developed by playing outside or by exercising. Let your kids play outside or inside the house and gave them a lot of stuff that can exercise their brain like puzzles and expose them to activities so they will develop problem solving skills.

10. xyrusjosh

xyrusjosh New Member

Technologies nowadays is very dangerous in our child,Thats why my son in not allowed to use any technologies during weekdays like cellphone and laptop,because there is some effects to his health,study and during bedtime and most all the attitudes,thas why i put a schedule time for him to use technologies in weekend only for 30 minutes.Because i dont want him become addiction in technologies like cellphone and laptop.

11. wsuyat27

wsuyat27 New Member

Technology has advantage and disadvantage. Technology can have positive impacts on a child's mental development and also negative effects with excess used mostly gadgets like cellphone and tablets. One advantage of using technology is using Internet and Computer or Cellphone in researching academic tasks, homework, and projects. They can easily search and navigate information and find answers. One disadvantage is excess use of gadgets can cause a result of addiction in playing online games like mobile legends and study maybe compromise and can also cause eye problem due to radiation.

12. Tonje

Tonje New Member

Although we can't say that using technology at a very young age doesn't have its own pros, I really believe that its cons still outweigh the pros. Children's early exposure to technology can have irreversible effects. It is very sad to think that you child's happiness now relies on a talking piece of brick. They will learn to appreciate it more that they do with more important things like making friends with their neighbor and spending time with their parents. These kinds of childhood memories are really good foundation of an emotionally intelligent child. Youtube videos can be good but I believe that a child can be better when he or she is out there making real life experiences with real life people and actually learning from them.

13. ChahirMoughlaz

ChahirMoughlaz New Member

Technology can affect children development by robbing them of empathy, compassion and sensitivity to human relationships, affecting their focus and closeness with their family.

14. Alzack50

Alzack50 Member

I noticed that technologies changed our lifestyle not just for child but also to us too.
    Every breakfast we'll go first to use our phone or other devices do you have at home instead eating.
    and the simple task that all the child can do are wasn't able to do affected by using technologies, included their study.

15. TonyDaniels

TonyDaniels New Member

Positives:
    1. It exposes the child to become aware of new informations such as using youtube, google, and other social medias. Thus it gives new knowledges to a child.
    2. It helps the child to become to be expose or simply say as they have a stepping point when they grow old on how to handle and use a phone.

Negatives:
    1. It affects the child’s social and outdoor activities, since the child relies his/her enjoyment through using phone it makes the child less in going outside the house.
    2. By using phone it has an effect on attention and time where their time are mostly focus on looking at screens and playing digital games.

16. madzdavid

madzdavid New Member

It's so hard for us parents to forbid our children from this
    kind of technology. But we parents, it is our primary responsibility to guide our children. With my
    experience, gadgets (technology) are a total distraction to my children, especially when it's time to eat. Base on studies
    too much gadget may cause impaired learning, sleep deprivation, low social interaction, and other illness.
    We do not want our children to be like this. What I do is I let them play more outside and be with other kids.
    I even play with them and give a reward. And for them not to feel they were deprived of using the gadget, I talk to them and
    discuss the consequences. Then, I set a limit on how long they can use it...

17. yhanmar08

yhanmar08 Member

I have 3 kids they are all using theyre gadgets specially now that it is summer But i also limit them and we have some rules, Like before they used their gadgets they need to do something in our house like washing the dishes, reading their new books so that they can advance their lessons in school. Gadgets for me is the most effective way to giving a reward when they are doing something great.
    I know that to much gadgets is bad for them. Thats why i also limit them with that.
    and we need to know what they are playing or watching. I teach them that everytime day dowload a game ask our permission 1st and it is effective way to guide.

18. Carrillo62

Carrillo62 New Member

They start getting addicted to the device. Like kids are suppose to enjoy outdoors, playing outside. Keep them healthy. Plus who knows what a kid can come across the internet. Something that can scar a kid mentally. Times have changed and I wish it would slow down.

19. Aleona

Aleona Member

Technology was primarily invented to make lives easier, to lessen the burden of work, and to provide ease and comfort. But through the years, with the different approach and ways of using technology, there had been different effects to each and everyone. As to the children, we all know that as of today, more and more parents are exposing their children to mobile devices for the sake of entertainment. The effect, children who get used to playing with their mobiles instead of enjoying the life outside, becomes younger and younger. Because of this, they tend to grow more distant and self-centered. They grow up without knowing how to communicate well, how to interact, and how to treat other children well. Also, there are studies which prove that children exposed to gadgets at a very young age are more likely to develop their skills like talking and reading later than a normal child. There are also studies which prove that aside from the effects on the skills of the child, he might also develop medical problems sooner or later. Though I am not generalizing. There are also good effects of technology to these babies when properly used. Besides, everything depends on how you use things. Use it wrong, it will cause you bad. Use it right, expect something good from it.

20. stphniemaun

stphniemaun New Member

Technologies affect the health of our child. It affects their behavior, mood, and physical well-being. Children should go out and enjoy their childhood rather than sit all day looking through screens of their tablets or cellphones. They are too young to be exposed to such technologies. It will become a hindrance for them to develop.

21. Rijumon007

Rijumon007 Member

Technology changes the way kids socialize and interact with others, which can have huge impacts on their mental and emotional well-being..

22. sharnjit

sharnjit New Member

Not only does it affect the behavior of children, but it also affects the behavior of adults, which, in turn, changes the parenting and teaching that children experience. One of the most prevalent issues in children regarding technology is that it quickly becomes their most coveted possession.

23. donald78

donald78 Member

Our technology changes the way kids socialize and interact with others, which can have huge impacts on their mental and emotional well-being. It has now become common knowledge that high levels of social media use. In both kids and adults, it can lower self-esteem and create negative moods. Also, the overuse of electronic devices may cause impairment in the development of a child's social skills. Not only can the chronic use of technological devices have a negative impact on the development of social skills. It can also affect a child's mental health.

24. SARSUNI

SARSUNI New Member

Love them or hate them, technology gadgets have become ubiquitous in everyday life. And while they have many positive uses, people remain concerned about the potential negative harms of excessively using them – especially in kids.

Kids have big imaginations; too big to be contained. Where in the past they only had art supplies like crayons and coloured markers at their disposal to get those ideas out and into a conveyable form, they now have computers, tablets, and so much more to help them turn such thoughts into reality..

For example of Technology “Six-year-old Adam has always been fascinated by planes and aviation. His dream is to become a Captain of an A380 Airbus. Onboard a flight from Morocco to Abu Dhabi, our Etihad Airways Cabin Crew noticed that the boy clearly wanted to fly the plane and was passionate about aircraft.”