How Important is Fiber?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Nicole Gamble, May 11, 2016.

1. Nicole Gamble

Nicole Gamble New Member

How important do you think fiber is to your diet? I feel like at a time it really helped me lose weight. Now they make all these foods where they add more fiber; bread, Fiber One snacks, etc.

Fruits and Vegetables have a lot of fiber too and I am wondering if eating all the processed food with added fiber is even good for you? Does anyone know more about this or have some imput?

2. Oliviaadele3

Oliviaadele3 New Member

In my opinion, as natural of a diet as you can maintain, the better. There are a ton of fruits and vegetables out there that contain enough daily fiber to aid in any goal you may have. Overall fiber is incredibly important aspect of any diet, no matter what the goal is. There are other things you can do, like take a natural supplement to help increase your fiber intake.

Anything processed has an ungodly amount of sugar and chemicals to increase shelf life and maintain an aesthetically pleasing look. No one needs a million chemicals into their body to help increase their fiber! In personal experiences, I noticed that eating those processed foods (even the ones with additional fiber added) made the situation worse, not better. Yes, fiber is amazing for you, but not mixed with all that other stuff!! Eat it naturally. Natural foods in general will aid in feeling better, weight loss, proper digestion, overall health, etc. :) hope I helped!

3. MrsD07

MrsD07 New Member

Fiber is very important. It benefits your digestion, your blood sugar and your energy levels. As for processed foods with added fiber vs natural fiber I would always go natural. Sometimes the processed foods are harder to digest and thus we don't get the actual amount of nutrition that they promise on the package. Fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains are a great source of fiber. Cherrios are very high in fiber and are gluten free which is nice. Chickpeas are also high in fiber and protein. There are many natural ways to get the amount of fiber we need, I really don't think the processed foods are really necessary. :)

4. Soraya

Soraya New Member

Fiber is extremely important to your health, but why do I think it's important? Well, fiber helps regulate digestion, improves cholesterol and blood pressure, helps you feel fuller, longer, so you eat less (this is especially good for weight loss). Most importantly fiber helps reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer and diabetes II.

While foods like Fiber One snacks look legit, processed foods with added fibers in them like inulin or oat bran haven't been studied long enough to determine if they're as nutritious as whole fruits and veggies. The best thing to do would be to obtain your fiber from whole, unprocessed foods.

5. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitality New Member

Fiber is very important because without it, the body has no other means of getting rid of toxins and any other unwanted material. The body's need for fiber is extremely high as the digestive tract depends on it to move the digested food from one area to another. Constipation and Irritable Bowel Syndrome are some of the results of not eating enough fiber. This is a topic that should be getting more attention than it is right now.

6. Asterfighter

Asterfighter New Member

A high-fiber diet has many benefits, which include:
    • Normalizes bowel movements. Dietary fiber increases the weight and size of your stool and softens it. ...
    • Helps maintain bowel health. ...
    • Lowers cholesterol levels. ...
    • Helps control blood sugar levels. ...
    • Aids in achieving healthy weight.
    You'll lose weight.Even if increasing your fiber intake is the only dietary change you make, you'll shed pounds. Dieters who were told to get at least 30 grams of fiber a day, but given no other dietary parameters, lost a significant amount of weight.It can also help you avoid putting pounds back on. People who got more fiber tended to be leaner overall—while those who were obese got an average of almost 1 gram a day less fiber than normal-weight participants

7. Regretx

Regretx New Member

Increase consumption of fiber can improve many aspects of health. Fiber rich food such as whole grain breads can help to increase stool bulk,whic is help to prevent constipation. Fruits, vegetables and legumes that contains soluble fiber have been found to lower bad LDL cholesterol and slow the absorption of sugar in body fiber can also facilitate to weigh loss. Fiber can make you feel full during meals and snacks time.

8. nano4mom

nano4mom New Member

Based on what I know from my nutrition course, we need 25 to 30 grams of fiber every day. I think men need a higher intake compared to women. But most of us only consume 20 grams or less each day. So why is fiber essential?

Fiber is important because it can affect the overall health status of an individual. For example, soluble dietary fiber found in apples (pectin) can help lower cholesterol levels in our body. While insoluble fiber can add bulk to our stool for easier elimination. Fiber can also help those who wanted to lose weight by giving us that feeling of fullness after eating.

Many people who do not consume plenty of fruits and vegetables, get their daily fiber from supplements like psyllium husk, oat bran capsules and flax seeds. We can also consume commercially available fruit juice and cereals with added fiber for convenience.

9. amber scholl

amber scholl New Member

Fiber is important in our days for reasons, such as:

1. helps prevent constipation
    2 proper digestion of food
    3 slows passage of food from stomach
    4 essential for healthy weight (prevents obesity)

Foods that contain fiber include ;arrow roots, bananas, mangoes ,oranges etc.

10. edz26

edz26 Member

Fiber is important role in our digestion, it can be of benefit to those who struggle with constipation. As a mother I always prepare foods that has high in fiber like fruits, vegetables which has natural contain of both soluble and insoluble. High fiber diet prevent you from colon cancer.

11. Eziox

Eziox New Member

Soluble fiber may help to slow your body's breakdown of carbohydrates and the absorption of sugar, helping with blood sugar control.An inverse association has been found between fiber intake and heart attack, and research shows that those eating a high-fiber diet have a 40 percent lower risk of heart disease.Researchers have found that for every seven-grams more fiber you consume on a daily basis, your stroke risk is decreased by 7 percent.Fiber supplements have been shown to enhance weight loss among obese people,likely because fiber increases feelings of fullness.Fiber, particularly psyllium husk, may help move yeast and fungus of your body, preventing them from being excreted through your skin where they could trigger acne or rashes.A high-fiber diet may reduce the risk of gallstones and kidney stones, likely because of its ability to help regulate blood sugar.Insoluble fiber, found in foods like dark green leafy vegetables, green beans, celery, and carrots, does not dissolve at all and helps add bulk to your stool. This helps food to move through your digestive tract more quickly for healthy elimination. Many whole foods, especially fruits and vegetables, naturally contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.

12. Jaymalie

Jaymalie New Member

Fiber is essential in our diet
    It is found in foods such as:
    Whole grains
    Fruits
    Legumes
    Nuts
    Vegetables
    Fiber important because
    1.prevent diverticular colon disease
    This is when the lower gastrol intestinal tract is inflamed .
    It is known that the elderly suffer from that disease more than the young hence when fiber is eaten it helps prevent it up to 59%.

2.Obesity
    This is having too much fat in the body .
    When you eat fiber it gives you that feeling of fulfilment preventing you from taking calories thus preventing obesity .

3.Nutritional benefits
    It helps add some nutrition in the body like vitamins which helps in the body growth .

4.Metabolic syndrome
    Fiber helps prevent metabolic syndrome such as hyperglycemia, obesity and high blood pressure.

5.Breast cancer
    Fiber helps prevent breast cancer by 70%
    Its known that women who eat more fiber are less prone to getting breast cancer than those who exclude fiber in their diet.

13. rebeccaverdad

rebeccaverdad Member

its like how water is more significance in our life also fiber do. Because it helps our digestive system to be more effective worker in our stomach. When you are a constipated person its either you are take a little amount of water or you did not eat some leafy green vegetable whos rich in fiber. Fiber act in our digestive system like a broom that sweep unwanted objects or fats in our stomach.

14. JeetKuneDo

JeetKuneDo New Member

Fiber is the part of Vegetable Food that your Body cannot Digest. Fiber, or Roughage helps Food to pass easily through the Digestive System. It also helps to keep the system Healthy and to prevent some serious Diseases.

15. Karlee88

Karlee88 New Member

Fiber is important because it helps to move stool through our digestive tract and colon, it actually helps to prevent colon cancer as it keeps our colon clean and healthy. Other health benefits of fiber include reducing of heart disease, lowering cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose levels and inflammation, and even weight loss. Fiber can help with weight loss because it creates a fullness within your instestine that helps you to eat less.

16. gege05

gege05 New Member

Fiber is a very important substance to take in.It has a lot of benefits in our body.It helps in digestion, it aids constipation, it has lot of minerals and nutrients essential for our body,it helps to prevent colon cancer.In today's world, we should prefer eating highly fiber food such as fruits and vegetables and most inportantly,help our kids to eat high fiber food.

17. tatz1120

tatz1120 Member

Studies also have shown that high-fiber foods may have other heart-health benefits, such as reducing blood pressure and inflammation. Helps control blood sugar levels. In people with diabetes, fiber — particularly soluble fiber — can slow the absorption of sugar and help improve blood sugar levels.

18. Fiber important for it helps The digestive system to digest food and makes it easy for the food to dissolve. It prevents us to have constipation. And it helps us reduce the risk of Heart diseases and diabetes. Even though fiber cannot be dissolve in our body and it’s a type of carbohydrate. It’s benefits such as Helping us to lose weight, Irregular stools and helps cholesterol to pass through the intestine as waste. Here are some foods that are rich in fibers apple, mango, Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, navy beans And many more.

19. Happyshee

Happyshee New Member

Fibers are essential in the aid for good digestion or bowel movement. Without enough fiber in the diet, one can suffer from constipation and many other adverse conditions. Fibers keeps you full and help in weight loss as the appetite is suppress. It helps your colon stay clean and healthy and reduces the risk of colon cancer. It also adds "bulk" to your stool that speeds up transit. However, if your going to have a high fiber diet be careful because you might be at risk for some problems such as stomach cramps and constipation. There is a certain amount of fiber that you can consume per day and don't forget to hydrate yourself for at least 8-10 glasses of water per day.

There are 2 types of Fiber--Soluble and Insoluble. Both are important in health, digestion and prevention of diseases. All types of soluble fibers slow digestion, so it takes longer for your body to absorb sugar from foods. This helps prevent quick elevation of blood sugar and is good for diabetic patients. It also binds with fatty acids, flushing them out of the body and helping lowers bad cholesterol.Soluble fiber is found in oat bran, barley, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, some fruits and vegetables. Insoluble fibers helps move waste from the intestines and prevents constipation. It is found in wheat bran, vegetables and whole grains.

If you don't get enough fibers in foods you can get it from supplements.

20. Barbaramuraya

Barbaramuraya New Member

Dietary fiber found mainly in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes is probably best known for its ability to prevent or relieve constipation. But foods containing fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as helping to maintain a healthy weight and lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease.High-fiber foods tend to be more filling than low-fiber foods, so you're likely to eat less and stay satisfied longer.A mean rich in fibre will definitely keep the doctor away.

21. ajslorezca

ajslorezca New Member

Fiber plays an important roles in our body. Just like with our digestive system, heart and skin. Most fiber is like other carbohydratea, made up of many glucose molecules. However, fiber does nor breakdown into glucose not even there. Where we can get found those dietary fibre? It is found in cereals, fruits & vegetables. Made up of the indigestible parts or compounds of plants, which pass relatively unchange through our stomach and main role of fibre is to keep the digestive system healthy.

22. PitchBlack

PitchBlack New Member

Fiber is essential because it is mostly needed to keep our digestive system healthy. It also helps our body with some of its processing function, like controlling our glucose and cholesterol levels. As a matter of fact, diseases like stomach cancer, diabetes, and heart disease are much less common in countries that are traditionally into high-fiber diets than in Western countries. Fiber is also even more essential for older folks. As we all know, the digestive system slows down with age, so a high-fiber diet is vital.

Here are some of the many helpful effects of Fiber in our body:

• Expands food capacity without increasing caloric content similar to digestible carbohydrates, PROVIDING SATIETY WHICH MAY REDUCE APPETITE (Good for people who are trying to lose weight).

• Absorbs water and forms a gluey gel in the course of digestion, slowing down the emptying of our stomach and intestinal passage, protecting carbohydrates from enzymes, and slowing absorption of glucose, which decreases inconsistency of levels in our blood sugar.

• Minimizes the bad cholesterol in our system, and may lessen the danger of cardiovascular diseases.

• Normalizes blood sugar, it can lessen glucose and insulin levels in a diabetic person and can also decrease the risk of diabetes.

• Helps our ingested foods to travel smoothly through the digestive system, which aids in the regular disposal of body waste.

• Adds size to the stool, which eases constipation.

• Regulates intestinal pH and stimulates intestinal fermentation creation of short-chain fatty acids.
    I hope this will convince people to engage themselves in a high-fiber diet because it will surely help us in our overall well-being.

23. writeaslym

writeaslym New Member

Fibre is important cause it prevents constipation. Basically a male adult needs like 25-35 grams a day to have stools that are soft and easy to pass. If you don't get enough fibre, you aren't getting enough nutrients and vitamins which is not good. Lack of fibre increases risk of heart disease, cancers, diabetes and digestive disorders. Solution get enough fibre.

24. Jaylaw

Jaylaw New Member

Fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. When you eat foods high in fiber, such as beans and whole grains, the sugar in those foods is absorbed slower, which keeps your blood glucose levels from rising too fast.

25. romilda

romilda Member

We need fiber in order for us to detoxify toxins in our body to have less ailment as the years go by.

26. snesz08

snesz08 Member

For me fibre is so important when it comes to digestion, because it helps my body to flush the toxins and chemicals that I eat. It prevent some disease such as colon cancer and diabetes. Fibre found in whole grains, vegetables and fruits to relieve constipation and it helps me a lot when every time I eat fibre food.

27. gelouborlasa

gelouborlasa New Member

We all know how important it is to include fiber in our diet, but what we don't know is why. I am actually one of those who suffers from having irregular bowel movement due to my frequent intake of laxatives when I was a child. That's why I always have larger portions of fiber-rich foods in my diet.

According to scientific researches, fiber - mainly dietary fiber, can mostly be found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, as welll as legumes. It's mainly composed of plant food that our body cannot completely digest or absorb. There are two types of fiber that can be found in our foods: the soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber (which can be found in foods like oats, apples, citrus fruits, etc.) is easily absorbed and is gel-like that helps in lowering blood cholesterol and glucose levels in our body. Insoluble fiber (which can be found in foods like cauliflower, potatoes, wheat bran, etc.) cannot be absorbed and mainly adds bulk to stool to increase its size and weight, which is really helpful for its easy passage from the digestive system outside of our body.

But, dietary fiber is not only known in normalizing bowel movement, but it also provides other health benefits, such as:
    • lowering of blood cholesterol and glucose levels in our body, thus lowering the risks of having diabetes;
    • lowering the risks of cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer; and
    • maintaining a healthy weight because foods rich in fiber have less calories and are more filling, allowing us to likely eat less.

28. bach26

bach26 New Member

It's important to keep in mind that there are many different types of fiber. Some of them have important health benefits, ...

29. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

It is very important. It encourages bowel movement. It also cleanses your organs. It keeps cholesterol levels low. The main sources are fruits, vegetables and cereals.

30. beckertani

beckertani Member

It will make your intestine clean. This is very important for people suffering from hemorrhoid too.