How long do you workout for?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cnichole, May 31, 2016.

1. cnichole

cnichole New Member

How long do you exercise for and how many days a week?
    I try to get in a good hour of exercise 4-5 times a week :]

2. tfwkmu14

tfwkmu14 New Member

I workout 6 times a week, for about an hour and a half each day. I do it in the morning and then when I come home I take a cold shower. I highly recommend it. You feel like a demigod afterwards. I also bike couple of times a week.
    Currently saving money for some martial arts class, probably MMA or Boxing.

3. DeJuan

DeJuan New Member

I guess it all really depends on what all you’re doing as far as exercise and working out. I tend to work out about 3-7 times a week. Some days I tend to go to the gym twice. On heavier days I’ll usually only go for about 40 minutes. Though if I’m lifting a bit lighter I’ll tend to work out for about an hour and a half.

4. Rachaelnp

Rachaelnp New Member

The question of "how long and how often I should work out" always mind boggled me because I never knew if I was working out too little or maybe even over doing it. For me, I love the feeling of a great workout, but I also know it can be easy to work out too much and can cause some serious problems.

One way I am able to figure out what my limitations are without over doing it is to begin working out 3 days a week between 1 to 2 hours, making sure to take a day of rest between all of them. If the first week goes by and you feel great, then I would suggest making the transition from 3 days to 4-5 days a week. With this method everyone is able to see what their limits are and work on improving them.

For example, I began doing 5 days a week at first but my workouts were sub-par because I was not allowing my muscles to rest and fully recover. I changed to doing shorter but more intense workouts 3 days a week and built my way up to 5-6 times a week. For my advice, just push yourself little by little until you are at the point of your goal in order to keep your muscles and overall health well.

5. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member

I'll work out three times per week on average over the course of a year although the weather and holidays can affect the timing and duration of these workouts. Normally, I run at a steady place (roughly 8:30 mile/min pace) twice weekly for about 30-35 minutes and once at a quicker pace (7:30/mile) for about 20-25 minutes on average. During excessively hot or cold weather, I might reduce the workout duration by five minutes to prevent overheating or overexposure.

6. Passive1

Passive1 New Member

I live a pretty active lifestyle and involve myself in many activities, but still try to get to the gym at least 5 times a week. Workouts can range from a hard-hitting 30 minute cardio session, to 90 minutes of weights, and sometimes if a good movie is playing in the cardio-cinema, I will do in excess of 120 minutes or more. (Cardio-cinema is the best idea ever, thank you to whomever came up with the idea!)

7. Alec Wong

Alec Wong New Member

I'll typically train for about 1.5 - 2 hours. I've have been hitting the gym consistently for the last 3 years (my workouts are bodybuilding centered) so my body needs more volume in order to achieve more growth. I've had training sessions that have lasted 3+ hours and I found that those are typically not as effective as my shorter workouts.

8. Dreysion

Dreysion New Member

Being in a sport at my college means that I work out for around an hour and a half to two hours. Out of season I was trying to work out for around an hour, or at least 45 minutes. Recently, though, I read that it's smarter to keep your workouts to 20-30 minutes. I'm pretty convinced now that it's better to use more resistance than it is to use more reps. This not only keeps your workouts shorter, but it also forces you to use more of your muscles. Our muscles are designed to conserve strength, and the workout doesn't engage the entire muscle. If I'm running or doing cardio work I might do a longer workout, but for strength I'll keep it at half an hour or less.

9. THE_BOX

THE_BOX New Member

I work out for very different amounts of time. Currently, I'm not in season so I'm only doing a little bit to stay in shape and get ready for when cross-country season starts. I'm averaging about 5 hours a week. I tend more toward 10 hours a week when I'm in season. It also greatly depends on the intensity of the workout. Often my harder workouts are the shorter ones. Most of my exercise is running long distances, 5-10 miles, so I spend half an hour to an hour. Other days I do core workouts or weight lifting. Those days I tend more toward 2 hours including warm-up and stretching.

10. Israel9612

Israel9612 New Member

The the length of each excerise session depends on the workout I am doing. I usually change things up an therefore, my time can either be an hour to even 2 hours. I remembered the longest I worked out was 3 hours! As for the frequency during the week, I work out maybe 2 to 3 times a week.

11. cafwen

cafwen New Member

More and more research is suggesting that it's not actually the duration of exercise that's important, it's actually more the intensity of the workout that counts. So really getting your heart rate up and exercising as hard as you can -and that's the important part- can deliver all the benefits of an hour of medium-grade exercise. Repeating these shorts bursts of strenuous activity a couple of times with rest breaks in between revs your metabolism up for several hours after you've stopped 'exercising', which sounds fantastic to me!

12. Cheyenne Trujillo

Cheyenne Trujillo New Member

I work out 6 days out of the week! Each work out I do 30 minutes of each section of my body. I work on doing my mid section the most so some days I might work that out for an hour. I usually take. 15 min break between each set of workouts that I do. I have an app called Zova that gives me specific workouts to what I want. It tells me the calories I will loose doing the set of said workouts and also how long it will take to complete. I love this app and highly recommend it for someone starting out with workouts. I've lost quite a few pound.

13. DeltaRaider

DeltaRaider New Member

When I am not lazy and just set at home, I usually work out for around an hour and a half. After that you aren't really helping your body much. Working out too much really isn't good for you. I also usually take the weekends off to rest, and get back to my routine on the following Monday.

14. Gogonykol

Gogonykol New Member

I work out about 35 minutes a day four to five times a week. Later I will gradually increase the workouts to about 45 minutes. I don't wanna over work my body.

15. LondonGirl

LondonGirl New Member

It's hilarious to me when people feel like they should be in the gym for hours and all week to lose wait or become healthy because, you don't! If you work out 3 days a week, 30 minutes of cardio or even 45 minutes and add 20 mins of interval training on a specific body part for each of those days, you will see weight lose and have more endurance.

16. CharterSchoolForums

CharterSchoolForums New Member

I don't believe in short workouts. Your body needs at least 20 minutes to get into fat burning mode. I like to always start with weights FIRST and then do AT LEAST 30 minutes of cardio. If I have a lot of time on my hands then my workouts are usually 1 hour of weights followed by 1 hour of cardio.

17. Obiwan

Obiwan New Member

I like to run for 3 to 4 times a week half an hour a time a little bit more a little bit less, with a long run at the end of a week and have found that signing up for a half marathon a couple of times a year helps to keep me motivated and stick to a fitness plan. You just build up your fitness from there. Being older than I used to be I never run a day after next, let my body have a rest every other day. The knee's and the back aren't what they used to be - in spirit I am 25!

18. amonda

amonda New Member

I work out for about an hour, five times a week. In the past three years or so, I've found that regimen to be most effective in ensuring that I keep fit and burn calories and fat when I need to. When I first started three years ago, I lost close to twenty pounds within a month of being consistent and sticking to my routine. Currently I am in the best shape of my life and I'm no longer shedding pounds but I still workout just so that I can keep the weight off.

19. abs_14

abs_14 New Member

I exercise for at least 30 minutes each day, and even though it's nothing compared to what the rest of you guys do it makes me feel so much better than when I was fat and lazy! Haha. Currently I'm exercising and dieting to shed the last couple pounds I need to lose, and over the past few months this regimen has been working-- I've already lost around 33 lbs and I only have 10 more to lose! Once I hit maintain I'm giving myself the option to skip a day of exercise, but not two in a row. I don't want to get too lazy!

20. mhague15

mhague15 New Member

Anytime I excercise, I try to go for a full hour. Setting goals like trying to workout at least 3-5 times a week is something I have strived to do. If I workout for 30 minutes in the morning, I tell myself I should workout again in the afternoon for 30 minutes. By splitting a workout up or doing it all at once, a healthier lifestyle comes from working out almost everyday.

21. Marc

Marc New Member

This generally depends on my goal. I would do low intensity work such as yoga everyday for 1 hour (mostly at night before bed) . To see physiological improvement, I recommend weighted workouts 3-4 times per week for 45 minutes. More than this could be considered as overkill for the non-athlete. With that in mind, I think intensity is a better measure than time. The same workout, day in, day out, with average output will generally end in plateau, whereas 45 minutes, even 3 times per week, where you genuinely push yourself will result in growth/improvement.

22. Ibrahima Diallo

Ibrahima Diallo New Member

up to 30 to 45 minutes a day

23. Tyler Hymel

Tyler Hymel New Member

I try to exercise at least thirty minutes a day. Sometimes when I work long shifts I tend to skip. I love working out though, it makes me feel better about myself. Some days I will work out for an hour or even longer! I am really self-conscious about my body so I try to stay in the best shape!

24. VicShark

VicShark New Member

I personally workout from anywhere to 45 - 120 minutes, up to six, and if possible seven days a week. Which I would admit to overkill for the vast majority of people, and unnecessary to maintain a healthy body. It's just my personal preference, my job involves sitting for a very large portion of the day and I consider the gym to be one of few places where I can get some 'me' time, away from work and home.

I'll split the session into weightlifting first, doing the major compound exercises first (Which ones depends on which muscle groups I'm hitting that day) then onto a further 3 - 4 isolation exercises for the two muscle groups I'm working on that day. After that I'll stretch out and move on to my cardio for the day to help keep the fat gains to a minimum as I'm currently in a bulking phase and consuming 5,000 calories a day.

For a average person, 45 minutes a day, 3 - 5 days a week is more than enough to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

25. Zoran

Zoran New Member

I practice my 8 years in gym.The beginning was tough and hard but in time I came in good shape .Today my working week in the gym based on 5 days per 60 min training .Monday , Wednesday and Friday I do cardio after training 30 min.With adequate nutrition and limited diet results have been excellent and I am pleased .I hope I helped you

26. Nakaela Jackson

Nakaela Jackson New Member

One hour of exercise 4-5 times a week is really good! I personally have always been a big athlete so I have 2 workouts a day; one in the morning(running) for about an hour, and another after dinner(bodyweight cardio, and lifting) for about an hour and a half. Every person is different so what works for me may not work for you and so on. As long as you are getting something in everyday you will be okay. Do what is best for YOU and know that its okay to leave your comfort zone sometimes. Push yourself!

27. Carly Summers

Carly Summers New Member

I do about an hour and a half per day. That seems to be the upper limit without a serious game plan in place. According to research, once you hit two hours, you need to be markedly upping your intake of certain things and water will no longer be enough to hydrate you.

28. Nahual

Nahual New Member

Right now I'm running for an hour every morning. I don't really know how many miles I'm running but I do it for a full hour. I've just started and have been doing it for the last week. I'm doing it because it's been about six month since I've done Insanity for the last time and I want to get condition because I wan't to do that workout once again. Maybe one more week and I'll start doing Insanity.

29. Konnan73

Konnan73 New Member

I work out an hour and a half to two and a half hours a week. I'm currently running 15:55 5k. I feel like people should workout based on their goals. Weight loss and healthy living is important and it is good to make a habit of working out.

30. olir1234

olir1234 New Member

I work out about an hour a day, every day. Four days a week I go to the gym, and the other three days I do some running.