How long do you workout for?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cnichole, May 31, 2016.

1. tabs63

tabs63 New Member

My workouts vary during different parts of the year. If I'm training for a race, my week will consist of 3-4 days of running (short runs, long runs, and sprint intervals), with 1-2 days of light full body strength work. If I'm not training for a race, I'm doing 3-4 days of heavier lifting and 1-2 days of varied cardio (hiking, biking, etc). I also incorporate recovery days (rest days) and days dedicated to foam rolling and trigger point release.

2. rjohndava86

rjohndava86 New Member

Doing workout or exercise at least 30 minutes, 3-4 times for a week is good to our health. For me I'm doing it 30 minutes 3 times per week just to maintain my weight. I lost 10 kg in one month. Just have a self discipline and you will achieve whatever weight you want.

3. Pedro Carvalho

Pedro Carvalho New Member

Usually 40 minutes to 1 hour. Been hitting the gym three to four times in a week. Two years that changed my life. My workout is mainly powerlifting, altho I like bodybuilder workout too. It's just that I feel more proud of myself when I progress with the weights. I generally do my workouts at the end of evening. I like to do some cardio at the very morning too.

4. iamneko

iamneko New Member

I try to workout for at least 30 minutes per day with a day or two for rest. A workout routine should be different to each individual depending on the body type or for a specific fitness goal. When I was trying to lose weight, I was doing more of fat burning cardio workouts like jumping jacks, running and rope jumping. And when I lose weight already, I focus more on building and to tone muscles so I do more of body weight exercise like pushups, lunges, dips, pull ups and planks. Lately, I discovered about high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout and I'm enjoying it. HIIT is basically a training technique that alternates intense and quick exercises followed by short recovery period. Example of HIIT is doing jumping jacks for 30 seconds followed by 10 seconds rest, another 30 seconds of push up and 30 seconds rest to be repeated for 10 minutes. You can make any workout combination depending on exercise you preferred to do. I personally find HIIT to be effective as a whole body workout which will help you lose weight, improve endurance and tone your body.

5. Vladv26

Vladv26 New Member

I have worked out for almost 2 years and after that I have just founded that I had
    appendicitis. I couldnt work out for like 6 months. Now I cant go to the gym anymore because I dont have that motivation that I had

6. emma.regalado1

emma.regalado1 New Member

I work out 1 and 30 minutes in the morning and in the afternoon.I do yoga every morning before breakfast and around 5 PM in the afternoon. It is good to excersise in the morning to ready my body for the long and busy day. Also, doing yoga at night makes me fall asleep easily.

7. Shiraaz

Shiraaz New Member

That usually depends on the kind of training you doing. Some people workout for an hour and don't end up doing much and some people workout for twenty minutes and come out perspiring. It all depends on the intensity of the workouts, how much break in between each workout and what is the ultimate goal of you working out. If you want to build muscle, its got to be heavier weights, lower reps and lower sets with little break in between. If its for cutting and ripping the muscle, its got to be lighter weights, more reps and more sets with a moderate break in between.

Cardio Training is good no doubt but you will only burn calories when you are only doing the actual cardio training. That is why it is preferable to do High-Intensity training (HIT) because you burn calories even after you train. An hour to an hour and a half of intense training should be good enough to give you the results that you would want to see.

8. jojo_1237

jojo_1237 New Member

How long and how many times really depends on the type of person you are. I mean if you are a pro definitely your going for more number of times and longer hours. But the best thing to really grown and improve is to really have a good relaxation time and sleep because at this period muscle build up and grown as you rest. So after a tiring day at the gym go for a good night rest and it really works.

9. blogger_enthusiast

blogger_enthusiast New Member

I do workout 3-4 times a week about 1-2 hours per session. I do 1-2 body parts training per session.. 1st day would be chest workout, triceps and cardio. 2nd day is shoulder, ab workout and cardio. 3rd day is back workout, biceps an cardio. 4th day would be leg day. My goal is actually to get lean, so if i will do this routine religiously with right diet for a span of 3-4 months. I will get 6 packs abs guaranteed. Right now, I am still far of getting 6 packs because I am not consistent.

10. Raymond Abadilla

Raymond Abadilla New Member

I normally work out for exactly 1 hour daily (40 minutes of weight-lifting and 20 minutes of cardio). However there will always be a time where I'd end up waking up late and would have to fit my exercise routine into a 20-30 minute window this is normally where I'd implement HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which I believe allows you to get the best out of both worlds (cardio and weight-lifting) at the same time. My HIIT consists of exercises that you could do at home without the use of equipment such as mountain climbers, burpees, jumping jacks and sit ups. These exercises are all done one after the other for a specific amount of minutes / seconds depending on how much your body can handle and eventually resting for a maximum of 1 minute.

11. RAQ

RAQ New Member

I work out for about an hour to an hour and a half a day. Work out four days a week to give ample time for damage muscle tissue to recuperate. I give each muscle I worked out for at least 48 hours rest, before working it out again. Just giving it enough time to heal. Every time we work out our muscle, we damage our muscle tissues. And it grows when it's healed up, because a new fiber muscle tissue is added in the wound in our muscle. Also do a cardio on my rest days to strengthen my heart and lungs. Giving me more endurance and stamina.

12. Qamer Abbas

Qamer Abbas Member

It varies on the goal.If you want to gain fitness you can workout regular for short period of time but if you are doing muscle building or weight lifting you need to give your muscles rest for thos purpose you can workout 3-5 times a week but never exceed 6

13. jprecaa

jprecaa New Member

I only work out for 10 minutes per day by using HIIT High Intensity Interval Training because like everyone, people today are very busy and sometimes long duration exercises may eventually causing you to give up because of the time needed to finish it. This training gives me the energy I needed each day and more time to get to work or do other stuff and this is the biggest help in maintaining my body posture.

14. Doadex

Doadex New Member

Sometimes it very difficult to keep me motivated and to follow a consistent workout plan regularly. I'm always on and off. But I have started to workout again last week, and I am trying to stick to a 5-day workout plan and 2 days rest. Each day is 30 minutes of exercise. I try to incorporate compound exercises that target multiple muscle groups and a few isolation exercises for upper body and lower body. I always finish off with 10 mins of HIIT cardio. I Prefer HIIT workouts rather than long periods of steady cardio. HIIT is fast and gets the job done and also keeps me motivated and not get bored. Of course, the main thing is you enjoy the workout to reap the maximum benefit.

15. floresrichardpaul25

floresrichardpaul25 New Member

45-60 minute workout 3 times a week, splitting the days with the three main lifts, doing max 12 sets each workout, and man it is working.:love:

16. Philip Melton

Philip Melton New Member

I typically work out for 45 minutes to an hour, three to four times a week. That usually equates to six to eight different exercises encompassing both upper and lower body since I enjoy doing a full body workout when I'm at the gym.

17. gerarddrakes

gerarddrakes New Member

I do half an hour of High Intensity Interval Training, four days a week. I do yoga on the other days to improve my flexibility and to relieve stress.

18. antonettenablo1997

antonettenablo1997 New Member

I work out about an hour or more but I believe that it's not about how long you do work out. It's what you do in work outs.

19. Dusan Ilic

Dusan Ilic New Member

I workout for about an hour,hour and ten minutes. Best time range for working out is from 45 minutes to an hour. Your workouts should not be too long, because it may lead to overtraining. 7 to 9 sets per bigger body parts (legs, chest, back) , 4 to 6 sets per smaller body parts (arms, delts, calves), two times per week. If you do this way, you will finish your workouts in about an hour, as long as your rest periods is about 90 seconds.

20. BackupBob

BackupBob New Member

Yes but how flexible is everyone? I've tried wholeheartedly to stretch my legs and hams. I'm a male and rather stocky. Using a support like a chair or stool I can split my legs sideways, starting by standing and holding onto my support. I get down halfway but stops when my knees buckle. What tricks have you learned to share?

21. MrRicky345

MrRicky345 New Member

I usually ride a spin bike for 20 minutes for cardio then lift for about 45 minutes.

22. zenerdblogger

zenerdblogger New Member

I work out 4-5 times a week for 1 hour or less per day. Based from what I experienced, working out for more than an hour is very exhausting and I can't properly perform my routines in a way it should be. I rest 30sec to 1 min maximum in between sets, 1 body part per day for 5-6 sets of exercises so there's no reason why should I go more than an hour. At the end of the day, you've performed and followed your routines well and that what makes it worth it.

23. Joemax31

Joemax31 New Member

Yes, thats okay. Doing exercise for one hour is good but you shouldn’t exhaust yourself too much to avoid muscle strains or sprains. Girl doesn’t need to do much of exercise since you are excreting your waste products in the body by having menstruation. 4 times a week is enough for you to be healthy, you can do it alternately :)

24. Darius13

Darius13 New Member

I work out at the gym for 45 minutes to an hour per session, 5 times a week. Forty-five (45) minutes is composed of intense workout exercises. Each exercise is composed of 3 repetitions and each repetition is composed of 12 to 15 counts. Rest per exercise/repetition is at 30 to 40 seconds. The weight of gym equipment I use is between 15 - 30 pounds which are ideal for muscle toning. Before, I used to stay longer at the gym. But the result was I got torn muscles which made me look skinny instead of looking toned. I also avoid performance enhancers like protein shakes and other related stuff because I want it all natural. Forty-five (45) minutes to an hour of intense exercise is all I can advise if you're asking me about how long should a work-out session be.

25. Willy1984

Willy1984 Member

For most healthy adults, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends these exercise guidelines. For aerobic activity. Get at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. The guidelines suggest that you spread out this exercise during the course of a week. For strength training. Do strength training exercises for all major muscle groups at least two times a week. Aim to do a single set of each exercise, using a weight or resistance level heavy enough to tire your muscles after about 12 to 15 repetitions.

26. GeRoL

GeRoL New Member

I believe it really depends upon an individual if he/she has enough time or not. But in my case, it actually depends on my mood or my body's recovery. 'Coz even though I believe in a saying that no pain, no gain, I used to be sick every after doing it. Sounds weird but it's real.

27. Liz15

Liz15 New Member

I exercise 3 times a week. I am following a routine of a 30 min video. I opted to walk most of the time to burn calories. And I also choose what I eat, mostly I eat fruits, vegetables and breads. I also drink lots of water so I will not feel starving.

28. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

However, because your body isn't working as hard on moderate workout days, you need to exercise for a longer period of time to burn enough calories to lose weight. Try to make these sessions last 45 minutes or longer. If possible, schedule one long workout, 75 minutes or more, during the week.Jun 28, 2018

29. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

Ad
    EXERCISE FOR WEIGHT LOSS
    How Long Should I Work Out to Lose Weight?
    Adjust Workout Duration to See Faster Results
    By Malia Frey
    Updated June 28, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Guido Mieth/Getty Images
    One of the most common questions that new exercisers ask is: “how long should I work out to lose weight?” When people ask the question, they are usually hoping for an answer that gets them off the hook for long aerobic workouts. And, in fact, the recent trend is to do shorter workouts for weight loss. But that fad could get you into trouble if you're trying to lose weight—and even if you are simply trying to improve your fitness level.

30. ewapc101

ewapc101 Active Member

The best method to determine how long to work out shouldn't be based on trends. Of course, you can (and should!) still include short workouts in your fitness schedule. But you will have to do some cardiovascular workouts that last a little bit longer if you want to lose weight and keep it off.

keep the weight off for good, the ACSM prescribes a minimum of 250 minutes of moderate to high-intensity exercise per week.

Get one simple hack every day to make your life healthier.

ONE-TAP SIGN UP
    To meet the ACSM guideline, you could simply exercise for 40 minutes every day. But that workout schedule can get boring, which may cause you to quit your program. In addition, to lose weight effectively you need to exercise at different intensity levels. This requires that you adjust your workout duration to accommodate the various workloads.

HIIT workouts should last 20 to 30 minutes and feel very hard. Keep in mind, however, that you burn more calories from EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption), also known as “the afterburn,” if you structure high-intensity workouts properly.

Measure workout intensity with a heart rate monitor and make sure you reach your target heart rate for the session. If you are well-rested going into the workout, you'll find it easier to work hard enough to reach that goal.

Longer Easy Workout Days (30-45 minutes)

The purpose of an easy day workoutis to allow your body and your mind to rest. Of course, you could sit on the couch to recover as well. But an active recovery helps to increase your body’s range of motion, decreases your stress level and increases your daily caloric burn.

Active recovery is simply low-intensity movement that increases the range of motion in your joints. For many people, an easy walk, or a leisurely swim is a good active recovery. Some yoga classes (restorative yoga, for example) is another smart option. An easy active recovery workout can last 30 to 45 minutes.

Long Moderate Workout Days (45-90 minutes or more)

Most of your workouts during the week will fall into the moderate category. These workouts burn more calories than a recovery day, but still allow your body to recover and prepare for high-intensity workout days.

However, because your body isn't working as hard on moderate workout days, you need to exercise for a longer period of time to burn enough calories to lose weight. Try to make these sessions last 45 minutes or longer. If possible, schedule one long workout, 75 minutes or more, during the week. This longer session challenges you mentally and builds cardiovascular endurance.

weekly workout schedules to create your own exercise plan.