How long does it takes to learn programming

Discussion in 'Web Development, Programming & Graphics' started by Fartytester21, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Fartytester21

Fartytester21 Member

We all have our own system when it comes to learning new skills but how long does it really takes for an aspirant to learn how to code using the Programming language of his choice?

Anyone here struggling in computer programming? I have a goal to learn my first programming language in just 1 year. With that being said, I'm grinding every week just to gain the knowledge I need and hoping for the best this 2019.

2. Banjo

Banjo Member

It's different for every one, for others, it takes a little longer. It's a process and you should not be worried where you are. With time you'll get to the point where you can understand what's going on so easy. Every year there are new Tech arise, new structure and algorithm arise, and i guess you'll never stop learning.

3. Ojuksfrank

Ojuksfrank New Member

you can't really same for sure how long it takes to learn programming cos it differs from people to people and all the amount of time one gives into the learning. your passion for it also matters and if u have a ggod tutor then it cn be be faster

4. JMae372

JMae372 Member

For me, I've started to learn Javascript 2 years ago during my Grade 11 year, but because it was not taught to us well I didn't understand anything and even find it hard to create a simple program. But now that it's being taught to us again it took me atleast 2 months to learn it. I think it also depends on who would teach you and on how eager you are to learn. At first I didn't have the desire to learn it because the teacher was boring, but now that it is being taught well I find it exciting and the passion I have inside is starting to pour out.

5. Geofrey93

Geofrey93 Member

Learning programing doesn't have a period in which you can get better at it, Its a series of steps you supposed to take as a programmer in order to learn what you what. Programming is just like Education, you never stop learning, the more you practice programing the more you get better at itit and improve on your skills.

6. gabrielapostu

gabrielapostu Member

It takes at least 2 years of solid studying just to become hirable by any decent company.

7. Toni251

Toni251 New Member

If you work hard you can make it in less than 18 months

8. spiderplant

spiderplant New Member

I think it depends a lot on the person and how comfortable they are with algorithmic thinking. But I agree with Geofrey93 that there's no point at which you've "learned" programming once and for all - everyone is always still learning. I would guess that it takes most people at least one or two years before their skills are marketable. The good news is that once you've learned one or two programming languages, it's pretty much trivial to learn more languages.

9. emilytw19

emilytw19 New Member

Learning a coding language is like learning a literal language of another dialect. Every programming language has the little similarities between each other, similar to Latin being the root of many modern European languages, however every programming language has the quirks and differences that make them unique and special. One can not learn a dialect language in a few weeks, as they have to take small parts of the language and learn the smaller parts of the whole before being able to comprehend anything more complex, like whole lines of code or new styles of writing.

10. carbs16

carbs16 Member

If you really want programming, you can make it less than 1 year :) Just do your best and don't afraid to ask a question. Set a goal :) Goodluck.