How much time do you spend in gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by qureshi adnan, Aug 2, 2013.

1. qureshi adnan

qureshi adnan New Member

Hey there.
    i am an ectomorph
    I have a few questions pertaining the gym.
    1) How long should I spend at the gym? 1 hr? 2 hr?
    2) How often do I go? 3 days a week? 5 days a week?

2. apenriquez

apenriquez New Member

If you plan on putting on muscle mass read the rest of my post. You should spend no longer than 45 minutes in the gym. After you've been lifting weights for more than 45 minutes, your body goes into a catabolic state and you'll start burning fat. For question 2, you can either do a full-body workout 3 times a week or a 5 day split. I recommend that you do a full body workout if you're planning on putting on mass. I used All pro's simple beginner routine and i have gained more than 10 pounds in under 2 months. If you need any help, don't hesitate to PM me.

here's the workout routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

3. Mia Manatea

Mia Manatea New Member

Last year I went to the gym for 30 minutes 5 days a week. Then the fall semester started and I didn't have time for it anymore. Now I don't go to the gym anymore, and instead try to include physical activity into my everyday life. I ride my bike to work (12 miles round trip) and walk around whenever I need to run errands, like if I need to go pick up something at a store a mile away. I gotta say - I feel more physically fit now than when I was going to the gym! So I'm going to try to keep doing this if I can.

4. ash87

ash87 New Member

It's not the amount of time that you spend in the gym that's important, it's the intensity.

You can get more of a work out done in 30 minutes doing heavy compound lifts (which target multiple muscles) with longer rest periods between sets than you can with an hour of isolation (focusing on single muscle groups) with shorter rest periods. In my opinion the best routine would incorporate principles from both compound and isolation on alternate days.
    It's not just the amount of time that you spend in the gym, the amount of time that you don't spend in the gym is important too. Get your rest!

5. Clem Hurliman

Clem Hurliman New Member

Like ash said, intensity is significantly more important than duration. Anyone can go to the gym and spend 2 hours there and not actually do any work. If you go to the gym for 30 minutes and bust your tail, you can get an amazing workout in. I personally like to spend around an hour at the gym. An hour is sufficient time for me to get my daily weight lifting routine in along with some cardiovascular exercise.

6. Vesania

Vesania New Member

Duration for me depends on the type of routine I am actually doing that day. That is not including cardio or any stretching and warm-ups involved, but typically for me, it takes around an hour and 30 minutes.