How much water do you drink in a day?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cathleenwright, Mar 3, 2016.

1. cathleenwright

cathleenwright New Member

How much water do you (at least aspire) to drink during the day? I've heard everything from 6-10 cups to drinking half your body weight in ounces. I know I feel better the more water I drink (once I stop having to run to the rest room every ten minutes...). There are obvious downsides to being dehydrated and the possibility of water toxicity in extreme circumstances. What's the happy medium?

Mariah C likes this.
  2. CrystalSB

CrystalSB New Member

It's so hard for me to measure the recommended "8 glasses of water a day." However what I like to do, is have a water bottle with me at all times, and casually sip it throughout the day, and refill it as soon as possible. I try to drink 3 to 5 water bottles every day. It's easy for me to do at work, since I'm pretty sedentary and always have the bottle next to me, and it's kind of like clockwork: send an email, sip more water, repeat.

3. Raider19

Raider19 New Member

Measuring how much water I drink a day has always been a challenge for me. I’ve done everything from carrying a gallon of water around to counting ounces of water consumed on my Fitbit. What I find best is to give up drinking all other fluids and just drink water. When I did this not only did I lose weight but I noticed that I wasn’t as dependent on soda or coffee to get me through the day, I feel more free.

AlexandraBodine likes this.
  4. Raider19

Raider19 New Member

I use to be a diet Coke freak also! It's not bad for you unless you drink an excessive amount of it daily. If you do then it can soften your bones and you may run into problems. Have you ever tried giving it up? I noticed that when I did it became more of a treat when I had it. I found that I enjoy it more now that I don't have it every day.

5. Helen Wyvern

Helen Wyvern New Member

I'm really bad about drinking water...or drinking anything, for that matter. I know you're supposed to drink about eight cups a day, but truthfully, I probably only drink three or four cups (optimistically). It's not that I don't like drinking water, per se, just that I keep forgetting to...oops.

I got myself a fancy new water bottle recently, though, and I'm hoping that if I bring it to school every day I'll remember to drink water periodically throughout the day instead of relying on that one cup in the morning and two-three cups after I get home.

6. RyuNacho

RyuNacho New Member

I have a 32oz water bottle I fill and drink with each meal, and I drink a little extra here and there through out the day. The "8 ounces 8 times a day" is a recommended minimum, but the amount you need in a day varies depending on your size, activity, and environment. A gallon a day is both safe and healthy for an adult of any activity level, though extremely active people or people in hot areas may consider more.
    Also, make sure you drink it through out the day rather than all at once.

7. Mariah C

Mariah C New Member

My water drinking has been very inconsistent recently. I started of last year drinking maybe 4-5 cups per day (around 2.5 16 oz. water bottles). Then I got up to 8-10 cups a day. Now I'm down to 3-4 cups per day. I did feel much better when I was drinking more of it per day. I would say that one whole gallon is a huge amount of water per day- that's 16 cups! If you want to drink a gallon in water bottles (16 oz. usually), then that's *eight* water bottles. It depends on what you like. I just can't believe I'm drinking this much water anyway- I used to hate it. But you have to push yourself.

8. Molly Rodgers

Molly Rodgers New Member

I also carry a water bottle around all the time. It encourages me to drink more when I always have it available though. So I usually drink 2 or 3 bottles, then 3 or 4 glasses at night. Some days more, if I exercise or the weather is hot. Some days less if I'm drinking juice or tea. I try to stay very hydrated though - it helps my digestion so much.

9. MzT

MzT New Member

There are a lot of factors to consider when trying to determine how much water you should drink. Do you live in a hot weather climate? Do you exercise? Are you trying to lose weight?

Personally, I aim to drink half my body weight in water daily. I am an Army veteran, so I know it would take an extreme amount of water consumption for me to suffer from water intoxication. I use an app named Plant Nanny to track water intake on my smartphone. It reminds you to drink if you aren't logging that you've drank water. Also, my favorite Camelbak bottle has the volume in ounces, so if I'm drinking from that I know I just need to fill it up three times. The longer you consistently drink a higher volume of water, the less trips to the restroom you will need to make.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  10. William Shockley

William Shockley New Member

In gеnеrаl, pеоplе lоsеаrоund 2.5L оf wаtеr pеr dаy thrоugh аll fоrms оf lоss. Thаt dоеsn't nесеssаrily mеаn yоu nееd tо drink 2.5L оf wаtеr thоugh. Yоu will еxtrасt wаtеr frоm thе fооd yоu еаt. Mоst drinks оthеr thаn аlсоhоl саn bесоuntеd fоr yоur fluid intаkе (hоwеvеr, yоu shоuld оnly gеt а vеry smаll pеrсеntаgеоf yоur fluids frоm things likе sоdаs оr juiсеs bесаusеоf thе high sugаr соntеnt). If yоu еxеrсisеоr livе in а hоt сlimаtе, yоu will оbviоusly nееd tо drink mоrе wаtеr. Whilе 2L mаy bеа littlе high fоr а gеnеrаl rесоmmеndаtiоn, I dоn't think it's tоооff thе mаrk. Drinking tоо muсh wаtеr is quitе diffiсult fоr thеаvеrаgе pеrsоn аnd nоt gеnеrаlly асоnсеrn. Shооt fоr аnywhеrеаrоund 1.5L аnd yоu shоuld bе finе. If yоu аrееxеrсising, yоu shоuld соnsumе 4-8 оunсеs оf wаtеr еvеry 15 minutеs оr sо, dеpеnding оn hеаt аnd еxеrсisе intеnsity.

11. Erica Tanner

Erica Tanner New Member

In middle school I was one of those people who carried around huge bottles of water. I like to stay hydrated because its better for my skin, and overall well being. I drink about 64 ounces of water a day. Even though its just water, being hydrated really can make a difference in your every day performance in school and at work.

esse92 likes this.
  12. esse92

esse92 New Member

Not enough I'm afraid and not consistently. There will be a week or two where I'd drink up to 2 liters of water per day and the next minute I'm going days without water. I would drink juices and sodas, which give me such a sluggish feeling. Take yesterday for example, I didn't drink a single drop of water. Today, up to this point, I haven't had any either. I'm familiar with many health benefits of drinking water, but it really is a challenge to fight the urge to drink all the sweet stuff. I can see the differences in my urine; it's much darker. I've seen persons infuse their water with fruits overnight to add a bit of zest and flavor. I think I will try that. A little flavor never hurt nobody. This forum topic has me feeling guilty about not drinking enough water.

13. chetan ghadi

chetan ghadi New Member

water is important , 60% of body weight its all about water . for men 3 liters of water is compulsory for better health and in females 2.2 liters .

14. guccigentleman

guccigentleman New Member

Half your body weight is a good rule of thumb for minimum water consumption. I usually try to at least drink that, but normally try to drink at least my body weight in fluid ounces every day. If you look at it in water bottles, most average sized water bottles that you would buy in a supermarket or gas station are 16.9 ounces, so if you divide your body weight into those chunks it seems much more manageable than using just a general idea of "12 glasses of water a day" or what have you. The more you weigh and the more active you are, then the more that you should try to drink every day. Most of people's problems emotionally and physically are because they don't drink enough water and instead consume sugary beverages like fruit juice or soda!

15. nicole98ns

nicole98ns New Member

I drink maybe a half a glass to one glass of water a day, and I know, that's horrible! It's hard to drink as much water as you should, especially since it's, what, 8 glasses recommended per day?

16. Lyman Rate

Lyman Rate New Member

From what I have found out, there is no super exact number of what you should drink per day. 8-10 is a general number and is suggested, but not mandatory. Every body is different and your needs will be different than the next person. The key is to stay hydrated and if you feel you are thirsty, your body is already dehydrated to a certain point. I try to stay within 6-20oz bottles of water per day, but if I am outside or doing something where I will sweat more, I'll increase that to 8 and add some gatorade or something with electrolytes.

17. Well, I think of water as kind of a shower for the inside of the body, very necessary, as much as, water to cleanse the outside of the body. I typically drink about 4( 16.9 oz.) bottles of water a day, to make sure that I get my 8 cups a day. However, when I don't have my bottled water, I carry with me my Brita cup with the water filter, which holds 22 oz. of water, and I just try to fill that up as much as possible, or whenever I'm thirsty.

18. cluckeyo

cluckeyo New Member

It depends on the time of year. In cold weather months, I drink less. In hot weather months, I am thirsty all the time. I go with my natural thirst, but I would say that in summer, I probably have 6 bottles of water a day and in winter, I probably have more like 2 or 3. Also, I have tried switching to tap water, but that results in me drinking less water, by far less. So some things are worth paying money for, and I guess the nominal cost of bottled water, for me, is worth it.

19. biancamika

biancamika New Member

The recommended 8 glasses a day seems unrealistic for me, so I would say around 3 or 4. This can increase on my training days; they're so exhausting that I need to bring with me 1 thermos and 1 jug. Also, there's the factor of weather; in my country, we only have dry and wet seasons, so when the sun shines, it can really get you sweating.

20. hujeckdd9

hujeckdd9 New Member

I usually drink 2 or 2 1/2 glass of water each day while 7 or 8(not know exact) glass of water are recommended by doctors in summer hot days.There's a reason for drinking not more than two glasses of water in a day by me because every time when I stand and go for drinking water,any of my pending work suddenly flashes in my minded and I go for completing my work instead of drinking water.But I drink water when I need it most like after playing football or doing exercise etc.

21. Anna-Gaye

Anna-Gaye New Member

My water consumption is ridiculous. I will literally drink 1-2 gallon bottles of water per day. I am always thirsty and I thought I could be diabetic but I got tested and everything is normal. I think I drink a lot of water because I live in a tropical country. Jamaica is always scorching and even more so lately.

22. mattmn232

mattmn232 New Member

It is difficult to measure the amount of water we drink daily. Sometimes we drink water and don't even think about it. I measure my intake of water through how many bottles I drink daily. Which is probably about three to four. That's still not enough, but it is a start.

23. PastMorning

PastMorning New Member

I just utilize as much instinct as I can when it comes to drinking water. If I feel thirsty, I want my first instinct to always be fetching a glass of water. I avoid soda when I can and simply drink water with my meals. I will often have about 5 to 6 glasses of water a day with this strategy in mind. It is hard for people to get in the habit because there is not as much instant gratification as what there would be with a soda. The trick is to just think about how it actually makes me feel later. I tend to have a better mood throughout the day when my body is relying mostly on water.

24. Jenny-sparkle

Jenny-sparkle New Member

I drink 6 glasses of water daily. During hot weather, I can take up to 8 glasses of water. I drink a glass of water every morning as soon as I wake up.

Water is very good for our health. It aids digestion and metabolism.

25. iSeth

iSeth New Member

Up until about 2 years ago, I never kept track of the amount of water I would drink per day. I know I did not drink enough, I probably drank less than 20 oz per day on most days. I was also severely dehydrated. After changing my eating and drinking habits, and aiming to become fully hydrated at all times, I now drink at least a gallon of pure water everyday. I sometimes will drink more than a gallon depending on my activities during that day.

26. Akintaro albert

Akintaro albert New Member

I can drink up to 12litter in a day,More than two thirds of the human body consists of water.
    I require water for almost every function within our
    bodies, from flushing out toxins to digestion.
    But knowing how much water to drink can be a challenge,
    particularly when it’s warm or you’re doing more exercise
    than usual.

27. Akintaro albert

Akintaro albert New Member

I can drink 12 liter

28. actualdog

actualdog New Member

I strive to drink at least 40 oz a day. Usually I'm way over that minimum, which isn't a bad thing.

Something to be aware of is to make sure that you are getting enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Without electrolytes the water will not do much to hydrate you!

29. Preye

Preye New Member

The amount of water I take depend on the weather condition of the day. On average I drink 3 liters of water daily.

30. nicksab

nicksab New Member

I try to drink a gallon of water over the length of a day. To be honest it is just easier to keep track of if I carry a gallon around during the day. I have found that drinking water from the moment I wake up and get ready to start my day helps me become more alert in the morning and it is easier to get out of bed. I have also found that I have a lot more energy when I constantly drink through the day and tend to eat less overall.