How to avoid Cliché plot?

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by jhezz20, Aug 15, 2019.

1. jhezz20

jhezz20 Member

How to avoid cliché plots? I have noticed that some of the story plots are too common and cliché. Especially when it comes to the genre of romance. The conflicts are often about having a third party, mistresses, cheating, the family against in your relationship and so on. Actually there are more issues that happened in a relationship not only these that i have mentioned. Do you have more idea and advice that you wanted to share how to write a fresh and unique storyline on fiction writing?

2. watsonse

watsonse Member

Here are some options I employ:

- Take a trope and parody the Hell out of it. In the case of the mistress, write it so that the husband and his mistress sneak away to play "Overwatch," build birdhouses, or plan a surprise party for the husband's wife.
    - Take a trope and subvert it. The TV Tropes webpage has several tropes that include subversions that would make excellent story hooks.
    - If you're writing fanfiction, consider crossovers. This is something I employ when I write "Ranma 1/2" stories. My justification is that literally everyone in the Takahashiverse is trying to kill him, so let's see if I can find a sweet, loving woman that won't smash his skull with a mallet.