How to choose a laptop that is best suited for college students

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tantien1031, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Tantien1031

Tantien1031 New Member

Consider the "not obsolete" aspect of buying. Buy a computer capable of upgrading to advanced technology that didn't debut when you were still in school 1.

2. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

There are so many ways you can do this laptop are in different specs the higher the spec the higher the price its all depend on the type of work that you want to use it for,

any computer with higher memory can be use by colledge student successfully, the choice is now left for the person to chose the type of computer he want. I well recommend dell studio for colledge student.

3. Efn

Efn New Member

The best options I've seen for students is dell, you can take a look at their prices.

4. Thesease

Thesease Member

It varies from person to person. It also depends on what he or she would define as "daily use".

A Chromebook would suffice to those who are almost always connected to the internet and only use the laptop to surf and create documents in programs such as Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc. Chrome OS has their own versions of these programs.

A Windows laptop would do for those who would like to play games from time to time. At least 4Gb of RAM, an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processor would do, I guess. If you're going to buy one, I suggest the Toshiba brand. My Toshiba laptop lasted for 8 years before it broke down. Take that with a grain of salt.

A Macbook would be for those who tend to edit photos and videos. A Macbook tend to be specialized for these kinds of programs, so keep that in mind. Based on my own observation, a Macbook is preferred by those whose course relate to the arts.

However, if you're going to take into consideration a laptop that is capable of upgrading, I highly suggest a Windows laptop, since Chromebooks and Macbooks tend to have closed hardware that you cannot upgrade. Brands that I suggest are Toshiba and Lenovo. I hope this helps, kind sir.

5. JanetL

JanetL Member

Mack-book is good but there are still others type of laptop that can meet up your demand,upgrading the hard disk is another factor which someone can look at before purchasing a laptop computer,

hp pavelion is a good laptop that can resolved majority of your pc solution both in terms of work and others aspect, its all depend on the type of work you want to use it for.

6. bavublr

bavublr New Member

When shopping for the best laptop for student, you should try to future-proof the system -- within your budget -- so it will fit the student's educational and lifestyle needs both today and when they are completing their curriculum in several years.

7. edumapesa

edumapesa New Member

You first have to look for speed, storage and performance. Most college students don't need a high powerful laptop because the task they usually perform is mostly typing .

8. alvenjohn

alvenjohn New Member

It depends on how the student would be using his/her laptop. The type of laptop will vary on the different needs of the student. If this certain college student is expecting to use their laptop for school work only, anything that can handle MS Office applications would be enough already to get him/her through college. For me, laptops with Intel Celeron processors with 1gb RAM would already be sufficient. Laptops with Core-I3 processor would be a luxury.

If the student would be using their laptop for photo and video editing, since they have a more complex course, the hunt for the compatible laptop would become a little bit tricky. Strength, speed and budget are taken into consideration when purchasing a laptop. If budget's a little tight, then you'd need to compromise on the strength and speed but there are still pretty decent laptops that can be bought at an affordable price. If budget is not a problem, then you can buy much faster and stronger laptops that can handle tasks such as photo and video editing. Core-I3 laptops with at least 2Gb of RAM would be your baseline but, Core-I5 and Core-I7 with at 4-8 Gb of RAM laptops would be able to handle these tasks much smoother. The same way goes to those who are considering on putting games, online and offline, on their laptops.

9. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

You are right some student that study a pgram in building technology and artchitecture need a laptop of high spec and model where the memory have more space for storage.
    Thou for high school student you need something to learn the basic things that is thought and do some research and minor home work,

there are so many brands of laptop and computer you need to run a check on the type of task you want to use it to complete before you buy one of this laptop product.

10. knleeeeee

knleeeeee Member

Things you would consider when buying a laptop is the built (either plastic or metal built), next is the processor (either AMD or Intel, i3-i9 is best processors btw), next is RAM (the higher the better but standard is about 4 gb RAM where it can give you minimal to no lags), last one is the memory or ROM (I recommended having high speed drivers like SSD or solid state drive so you can transfer files much faster)

11. JanetL

JanetL Member

To be precise you made mention of some good point here, the processor is the first thing to be consider,and I prefer intel to AMD,intel is the best and AMD follow ,for the casing be it plastic or metals all of them have the same function the only thing to consider is the operating system and the quality of mother board.