How to identify if an online job is legit or fraud?

Discussion in 'Website Management & Blogging' started by jiezle, Nov 20, 2017.

1. I have had this question come up a great deal in trying to find enough income to quit my full time job. Mind you, it wasn't the smartest thing to do and I really don't recommend it to anyone but I have the safety net of another income. I routinely use the BBB and I Google the business and look for reviews. I also go to Glassdoor, which are reviews by current or previous employees. That helps me decide if I want to pursue a relationship with that particular company.
    If it's an app, I also utilize the read more button so you can read all the reviews, which most negative reviews are buried in that spot. There are many scams out there and I have been the victim of a few many, many years ago which has made me so much more skeptical and careful.

2. Noel Angeles

Noel Angeles Active Member

I haven't earned from any so-called money making apps from playstore. I'm branding all these apps scams. I've tried so many and what happens is you would earn but you won't be able to withdraw the money because of very high threshold limits. Earning sites are more reliable than apps.

Rosamistika likes this.
  3. Rosamistika

Rosamistika New Member

Yes and that is so true. I also experienced exactly the same thing. I just don't know why they have to fool people. I thought looking through You Tube or Google can guarantee that all the jobs we see are legit. I prefer to work at home, since you don't need to walk from one place to the other. So good luck to all of us.

4. DoItDifferent

DoItDifferent New Member

Simple, Go to youtube check for the latest payment proof video that is available on that online job site. Check what testimonials have been given to the website if the testimonials say that this online job is good and if the payment proof is real then we can assume that this website is legit.

5. Balatszki_07

Balatszki_07 Member

Sadly scammers are on the increase, with more and more fictitious jobs appearing on job boards, and more and more unsuspecting job seekers being conned into parting with their hard earned money, or becoming victims of identity theft.

What is a job scam? A job scam occurs when a scammer poses as an employer or recruiter, and offers attractive employment opportunities which require that the job seeker pay money in advance. This is usually under the guise of work visas, travel expenses or background and or credit checks that are required for the job. Once the money has been paid over the scammer disappears, and the job seeker is left with no job, and out of pocket.

Whatever the scammer’s technique is and how they go about their modus operandi, their goal is always the same. To separate you from your cash, or to obtain your confidential personal information, that can be used in identity theft.

The problem is, that scammers are becoming more and more crafty in the way they operate, and it’s becoming more and more difficult to know what is a scam and what is a legitimate job opening.

It also appears that more and more often, the scammers are targeting job seekers from overseas, such as hopeful immigrants or contractors, where they use the lure of huge salaries, work permits and paid travel as ways of enticing the job seeker to part with their money.

So how do you recognize a job scam, and what signs should you look out for?

1. Never part with your money. The golden rule is, any job offer that requires that you pay a fee in advance, is probably a scam. Most reputable companies will absorb these costs themselves. Another warning sign, is if the recruiter offers to train you for the job, in return for money. NEVER pay money across ever. No legitimate company or recruiter will ask for money upfront. Not for anything.
    2. Do some research on the company. Visit the company’s website. If they do not have one, or it does not have contact details, then you need to tread cautiously. If there is a company website, compare the contact numbers, email addresses etc., to what would appear when doing a Google on the company or in a company directory.
    3. Free email accounts. Any recruiter or company that corresponds from a free email account such as Yahoo, Live, Hotmail or Gmail is very likely a scammer. Legitimate job related emails will come from corporate email accounts.
    4. Do a Google search on the company. Do a search on the company name and see what information you can find. Compare it to the information that you have been sent.

6. Janice Clark

Janice Clark New Member

There are legitimate jobs online. Unfortunately there are scams also. It is very difficult to determine, if it is a scam. I try to use as a rule of thumb, not to send money to do a work from home job. Trust the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is...

7. mohit aggarwal

mohit aggarwal New Member

If you want to get money online, it is very important for you to know about online scams if you are working on a site and you want to know about that site, whether it is a fraud or you can search for it on Google. You can also know that the review of bloggers can also be posted and the most important thing is to check that a consumer has not lodged any complaint about that site and also read the normal man comments and reviews about that particular site.

8. Juan Sapanataym

Juan Sapanataym New Member

First of all, you have to check if it is too good to be true or if they offer "earn more do less". Legit online jobs are usually not advertised that much. If the website got lots of pop-up ads like they are really pushing you to sign up, it might be fraud. Next thing you should check is if they are too open on how much you can earn and showing lots of proofs of income. Remember that an online job is still a job. When you are applying for a job, the salary is usually confidential. The best way to check if an online job is legit or fraud is to read forums and search for reviews.

9. suicune034

suicune034 New Member

Lately there are so many ways to identify legit from fraud online jobs. First is to check reviews and profiles about the job. Most cases fraud online jobs offers high income in a short and easy job that sound to good to be true while legit online jobs offers reasonable price range at the task that not easy to accomplish. In some offers you a high price and the task will be very difficult. Another method to determine legit is to somewhat have a proof of payment from the previous employee.

10. krisselc

krisselc New Member

First look for the payment policies, If the payment sounds too good to be true, it probably is; look for testimonies in forums, like Quora, Reddit, or this one ;), google the company, and lastly never give information of your credit card or pay "registration fees" just in case.

11. Hachikoyoshiko

Hachikoyoshiko New Member

To be honest there are really tons of online jobs being offered online and it's realy time consuming to test each one only to get happy if it's legit or sad if it's fake. Some of the things I could advise you is to research online. Most of the legit online jobs always has good feedbacks coming from those who already tried it. Check the name of those who commented. You will definitely know if it's fake if those giving comments are fictitious characters. Try to watch youtube and search for known bloggers who already done online jobs and has many followers who already attested that the job is real. Another thing to note, not all online jobs give you instant cash. Yes you heard it right. Legit online jobs usually requires you to invest time as you would have to accumulate points and gain reputation before they actually pay you so if the job that you see online says they will pay you instant then you already know it's fake.

12. BleuBellie

BleuBellie New Member

This is a good question to ask. It shows you are thinking critically about today's online job market. It is true that one can work from home using a computer, but there are definitely scams out there. Don't get ripped off! One good way to make sure the online job is legitimate is to put the name of the company into a Google search along with the words "scam" or "complaints" or "rip off". Doing this will pull up all the web pages where people have had bad experiences with the company you are considering for employment! If nothing comes up, then the job is very likely legitimate. You might also try use the Better Business Bureau web page as well. The BBB will also let you know if the company is good or bad.

13. johnster1030

johnster1030 New Member

mostly reviews for me. Atleast you can see review with essence that's good on my book.

14. johnster1030

johnster1030 New Member

mostly reviews for me. Atleast you can see review with essence that's good on my book.

15. Jabian

Jabian New Member

One of the best ways would be to check out for the reviews. It would have been tough a few years back, but now practically every site, especially the job sites are scrutinized with reviews. You can browse them and get a better understanding about its legitimacy.

Personally for me, the one method I choose is this- If the site wants me to deposit anything or If I’ am being charged to work for them, I simply stay away from them. Run as far as possible from these sites even if they promise the moon in return. They are definite scammers.

16. Anthony Chad Hubag

Anthony Chad Hubag New Member

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for the longest time. I think I found the answer to my question. There is a guy on this video website. He seems to be honest and only wants to help others start their online careers. But I digress. The point I'm trying to make is to search for all kinds of information. Then, check them and recheck them. Compare them to others and with a little luck, you will come upon a legitimate company like this one.

17. Giobordj

Giobordj New Member

Ho do we identify if an online job is legit or scam? This is where Google comes in. We have to do our research not once or twice but thrice or even more. It is just like a sick person who goes to a doctor for a check. The doctor will send him for diagnostic tests to make sure he is fine. He may be sent for another test of another kind until the doctor makes his final diagnosis so he can continue on to his treatment.

The same is true with an online job or business. Before proceeding on to a certain online job or business (the healthy state) we make sure we rule out anything that is scam (disease). We cannot afford to be moving on with an online job that is scam (an unhealthy state). It will just be a total waste of time and even money. Therefore, let us make sure we are on the positive side. Legit is the word.

18. Lianne Goreo Horan

Lianne Goreo Horan New Member

First of all you should do some research. If not yet satisfied try the 'site' or 'app' and if didn't do any payment or such. It's a fraud.

19. Rajen

Rajen New Member

I got attracted to online jobs i saw on the internet nowadays because it is more convenient to work at your on time and at your preferred place. Every time I saw an online job offering, I first type the name of the company in google and read more of the comments or post about the said job, then I try to send a private message to those people posting about it.

The hint that I got when trying to join an online job is that when you don't need to use money for it, because the company is the one who will pay you for doing your job and giving your skills for them. And one more thing is that, a legit online job will tell you what exact tasks you have to do and how exactly you will earn by complying the tasks that they will assign you. If you find their instructions very hard t0 understand, then I suggest to not take the RISK of wasting your time and effort on focusing on the said online job.

20. weblord

weblord New Member

So I would like to answer your question, how to know if an online job is legit or not. To answer that question, here's a tip from an oldie.

1. Do a research on google

Do an unbiased research and google is your friend here. For example, the name of the company company A, then do a search for it on google with "company A+feedback" and/or "companyA+scam" and it will result with some feedbacks of the said company if they are really paying or if they are listed on scam database website then you can decide base on this. It would be better if your searching an online company that also has a physical presence or a real company somewhere in the U.S or abroad.

2. It's better to be free

If you're a beginner, don't go big time on signing up on websites that requires payment at the start just to get you started. Based on my experience, I got scammed by paying at the start but the company ended up scamming me because in the first place, they are not a company and they don't pay. What if they don't pay, that's the end of you but what if they pay, chances are if you registered with them a paid U.S.$10/month, it will be profitable for me, of course if I will earn U.S.$20/month from them because half will cover the cost of the electricity and isp and half will be for me.

3. Do a research on domain whois.

Take a hold of their company website or web address. One online tool that you can use is this: http://whois.domaintools.com/ (not my own neither am I an affiliate), then type their web address on it. What we're looking at is if the address that will result on it will be the same as the address that they have published on their company website, it must be the same majority of the times, or sometimes if not company is hiding something from the public. It must not use a domain whois guard or a whois security where company or domain owner is hiding their real address and using another's. It's bad for their own reputation. Come to think of it, why would they hide their presence if they wanted their products/services to be known, or why would they complicate things for you in finding them.

4. Ask your social friends.

You may post it on the facebook, asking for some feedback from your friends. I for one is nearing 5k in facebook alone and another 7k in twitter, I can easily post the url on my twitter and facebook , it won't take me 6 minutes top to do it, and I will be bombarded with lots of feedbacks and comments, and from the comments do a wise decision. I'm sure our friends in facebook and twitter can help us.

5. Try it for a week or two.

Finally, why not dive into it. As in majority of business, they are testing the waters. What do you have to lose aside from money and your time, but it's worth it, you are an active participant of testing the waters for your own so-called "online business"

21. diazvac

diazvac Member

First thing you to do is do some research on companies you apply to. You must check the background of the company including the owners of the company and how long is the company running. There are also many forums that you can consult for you for you to verify with regards on the said online job. Remember that you are not the only person encountered this kind of online job offer.

22. springtech07

springtech07 New Member

A simple search on the web using search engines like google will come handy here.
    That is the first thing i would actually you.

Before investing my time, energy and data into any online job, i would like to read some reviews about the site.
    These reviews will give me an idea about the company.
    Then i can make up my mind.

23. jeda30

jeda30 Member

Nowadays, there are hundreds of online job openings that we can see on different websites, but how would we identify if they are legit of fraud?
    For me, I use google everytime I see an interesting online job. Google will show all the company's information and reviews. I also research about the job and the company's website if it really fits on how they describe the company. No payment involved upon applying/registering an online job, if they ask for any amount that is considered as red flag. Always be careful because everything seems legit to you but it's all fraud. Be careful also upon giving your personal information because they might use it on scamming others.

24. terryse2019

terryse2019 New Member

Before you sign-up for any online job, try to read some feedback from those who have worked with your target site . In my experience, i get a lot of information and or reviews about a particular site by searching it on Google.

25. jhezz20

jhezz20 Member

If the online job requires you to pay before you even get paid then it's a scam.

26. yetyet

yetyet Member

Check the longevity and the reliability of the site. For me those 2 are the most important aspects to know the validity of the site. Don't rely immediately the information that they gave, try to look for another site, be resourceful. Don't be fooled by their headlines and whatsoever, most sites that scam always have a very catchy headlines, then if it's good to be true then have doubt immediately on it. Research key, because to validate the information that you search you have to do a lot of research also.

27. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

First before you join or signup with any firm online that pay you money, the first thing for you to do is for you to search for the current payment proof for such program before you join the program.
    There are many scam program or website that will consume your time and run away with your money so first do some research about such website before you join.
    There is a website call 'scamnow.com' if am correct just type in the name of the firm/program and all their details location and the status of the program if paying or not will appear,that is how you know if a program is paying or not.