How was life before computers?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by jeda30, May 31, 2019.

?

what is better life before the computer or now that everyone has easy access to it?

1. before

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. now

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. jeda30

jeda30 Member

People say that before computers everything was real, peaceful, beautiful, and more. Playing some games with friends, sharing happy moments with everyone physically, spending more time with family and loved ones, and everything was just true joy and simple. There was not so nice part too. Communication was hard because people wrote letters for their loved ones who are away from them and waited too long to receive a reply. Today, text, calls, emails, Skype, Whatsapp, and some apps can be used to text and call them instantly. Education was quite difficult, students and teachers had no choice but to go to libraries and spent too long to research. Today, we have endless learning sources for free on the internet with the help of a computer. There are still lots of topics to talk about how computer changes our lives like business, news update, fashion trends, shopping, entertainment and more.
    Nevertheless, it's your choice to determine how to use today's computer to be more productive so life is more productive and meaningful.

2. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

Before Computers People say that our life is different from today. Our life is real before computers everything was peaceful, beautiful and real life send the people. Most of time people say your experience of life and motivated for good work. People tell the story daily of your children and children listen the story very carefully and learn something from it.
    Family members share happy moments physically with everyone. People spending the time with your family and friends and loved one another. Just every moments true enjoy and happiness and in simple way. It was part of good and real life. It was very difficult to communicate to the people and communication was hard to one place to another place that time. People write letters to communicate with the people and share anything of the mind. But today, text ,write a letter,calls, facebook and whatapp and so many apps in India.

3. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

It was a lot harder than it is today. You spent a lot on paper and liquid correction fluid. You borrowed a ton of books and made sure they fit what you were writing about. You had to be both fast and meticulous in your work. Time was gold and many times, I consumed a whole pot of coffee to get it done. Every minute counted as you did your best to beat the dead line. Things are a lot better now with computers.

4. Kiyen96

Kiyen96 Member

People say that before computers everything was beautiful, peaceful etc.
    While this is very true, there was also the not so nice part. Communication is hard unlike today, we just need to open our computer and we have our communication to our family and friends in social medias and also in simply playing.

5. Lageorgi

Lageorgi New Member

Before computers people have to do their research based on books. Visit more often the library. Stories were passed down through generation. People wrote longs letter and would wait long time to receive a reply. TV and newspaper were the only resources we had.

6. rashid76

rashid76 New Member

This question can be divided into two ones: 1) Life before computers? and 2) Life before the Internet? The answer to the first question mainly concerns the speed of information processing, as well as the ability to store data. The Internet has completely turned our world upside down. Although I am already 43 years old and I still found time before the Internet, I can hardly imagine how you can live without email and Google.

7. nheilm2020

nheilm2020 Member

Literally, life before the age of computers seems monotonous. However, people before are used to living happily without it because there was only a minimal case of crimes but also minimal opportunities for jobs. Today, we can search job or work online at home through the advent of technology (computers).

8. yetyet

yetyet Member

Life having computer nowadays is much more easier and convenient. A lot of negativity computers my bring but as long as you know yourself and know what's the main purpose why you bought a computer then everything will go smoothly. Computer even became a needs by now especially to those individual who works and earn their living through computer. Then most of today's report on school, on company and other offices are more on computers. Whether we admit it or not computer makes some of our works easier and fun. Accessing to the different parts of the world becomes easy through computers. If only people used computer wisely, everything in cyber world will turn out fine.

9. iwisting

iwisting Member

Life before computers was simple and more on physical and outdoor activities. Before the advent of computers, kids almost spent their time playing outside with their friends; unlike now, kids could live seating whole day playing games and browsing the internet. I didn't mean that computers are not beneficial because they make completing tasks way better and faster, no doubt!

10. mbrnrd

mbrnrd Member

Well... if im gonna think of it as a child, i think its better to have the life before computers. And im a 90s kid so I understand the life before conputers. Where you have to be physically active

11. Aileen635

Aileen635 New Member

It's a popular sentiment even during the time television was first introduced: that life was generally better before the appearance of a piece of technology that changes the world. Years from now when another life-altering piece of technology is introduced, people will wax poetic about how great everything is today. Life was great and awful before computers, and life is great and awful with it.

12. romelece

romelece New Member

Life before computer for me is simple but not convenient. I relied on TV, radio broadcasts, and newspapers to get information. I would go to a library or an actual bookstore if I need access to a certain book for my studies. Communication was also limited through the use of telephones and snail mail. Researches were also limited due to availability of resources without computers. But I had a simple life without computer with regards to social interactions that I physically had before. Convenience came with computers because it made these tasks digital and readily available anytime as long as you have enough resources.

1 person likes this.
  13. fairnlove82

fairnlove82 New Member

life was so joyful and relation was so strong and any one was have the so much time for family and regrinds and relative but now we are just like a machine.

14. mithul

mithul Member

Seriously speaking LIFE was awesome before the computers,as we often referred our senses to find a solution.But also it is important that without computer i cannot imagine this modern world could have happened this much faster.

15. ewi102

ewi102 Member

my life before computer is very simple.wake up in the morning after breakfast go outside and play basketball with friends after we played basketball we climb some trees and eat fruits.and at night we play board games with my family.computer make some people's life easier but there some things in our that computers cannot do.

16. mrezaba

mrezaba Member

Before computers (BC); After computers (AC)

1. BC: Newspapers were considered the final authority on current events. No sensationalism. Just a narrative of events as they happened. No opinionated self-image building. Even by-lines were staff reporter.
    AC: We're spoilt for choices with the innumerable channels displaying sensational news via moving images called videos, pop-up ads vying for attention, and highlighted keywords trying to lead you away to read something that may not necessarily interest you but is titillating enough to make you itch to follow it.

2. BC: Stories were passed down through generations through word of mouth. There was no way one could verify the veracity of statements like: my father walked miles every day to get us food on the table. One just believed.
    AC: You want to read a story? Or you want to watch a movie? How about a trailer? Or a teaser? What genre is of interest to you? Just key in your search criteria and voila - you have a story/movie at your fingertips!

3. BC: Doctors, lawyers, and priests were trusted blindly. They were like demi-gods, leading people down the 'right path'.
    AC: You don't trust any of them any more - let's face it - you still want a second opinion. So you go read up on it. Get more info. Challenge authority (in this case, doctor, lawyer, priest). Come back and ask questions, all pumped up with more knowledge on the subject.

4. BC: People wrote long letters (or short ones), and waited ages to receive a reply. There was this butterflies-in-the-tummy feeling when one watched the postman coming towards one's house.
    AC: We have mails. We have text-messaging. Everything pops up in real-time. No trepidation, no anticipation, no butterflies-in-the-tummy feelings. Instant gratification.

17. subhan456f

subhan456f Member

1. BC: Newspapers were considered the final authority on current events. No sensationalism. Just a narrative of events as they happened. No opinionated self-image building. Even by-lines were staff reporter.
    AC: We're spoilt for choices with the innumerable channels displaying sensational news via moving images called videos, pop-up ads vying for attention, and highlighted keywords trying to lead you away to read something that may not necessarily interest you but is titillating enough to make you itch to follow it.

2. BC: Stories were passed down through generations through word of mouth. There was no way one could verify the veracity of statements like: my father walked miles every day to get us food on the table. One just believed.
    AC: You want to read a story? Or you want to watch a movie? How about a trailer? Or a teaser? What genre is of interest to you? Just key in your search criteria and voila - you have a story/movie at your fingertips!

18. Teachergeorge

Teachergeorge Member

Life after the emergence of the computers has proved to be better. One, the information in the paper files in the financial, learning, business, government institutions has been converted in safe, easier to retrieve in the hard disks, cloud, email thereby minimizing the spaces while improving the quality of the data as well as the service. Two, the internet connectivity through computers has brought the world together and made it a global village. One do not need to necessarily travel in order to get information or exchange program but search it in the internet or have a conversation via Skype. Third, millions of people are working online therefore computers are a source of income.

19. Nicktabi

Nicktabi New Member

I will like to start by asking a question, what is a computer? According to Oxford learner dictionary, a "computer " is an electronic device or machine that store, organize, do calculations and control other machines. From the above definition, it is very obvious that life before computer was not easy in terms of storing and organizing of information. And with the aid of computer, nowadays calculation of figures is very simple and accurate. Computer have helped us in some many ways like reducing cost and energy.

20. revismatt78

revismatt78 New Member

If by "computers" you are primarily referring to PC's (personal computers), life has been made immensely more convenient. I am 41 years old, so I was relatively young when owning a PC started to become the norm for the American family, but I can remember doing homework in school without a computer or the internet: If you couldn't find the answer to a question from your parents, siblings, or the books in your home, you were totally out-of-luck. Not to mention, my mother used to scream at me to look everything up in the dictionary or encyclopedia when I would ask her questions. My vote is for computers, hands down!

21. subhan456f

subhan456f Member

3. BC: Doctors, lawyers, and priests were trusted blindly. They were like demi-gods, leading people down the 'right path'.
    AC: You don't trust any of them any more - let's face it - you still want a second opinion. So you go read up on it. Get more info. Challenge authority (in this case, doctor, lawyer, priest). Come back and ask questions, all pumped up with more knowledge on the subject.

4. BC: People wrote long letters (or short ones), and waited ages to receive a reply. There was this butterflies-in-the-tummy feeling when one watched the postman coming towards one's house.
    AC: We have mails. We have text-messaging. Everything pops up in real-time. No trepidation, no anticipation, no butterflies-in-the-tummy feelings. Instant gratification.

22. Vishnumayyanad

Vishnumayyanad New Member

After the computer came, everyone's lifestyle changed a lot. face-to-face communication between humans decreased. Now there are a number of devices for communication such as phone computer and vedio calling apps. Now all the relationships are confined to home. Cooperation with outsiders has declined.

23. leogem123

leogem123 New Member

It's so much fun here in Philippines before, because all the children played unique games. But now, many online games in computer . Children played individually.

24. enel1

enel1 New Member

Life before computers is a kind of life that everyone enjoys and people are more sociable in their way. Beautiful and realistic! Everything around was real, charming and heart-warming. Children before loves playing in the backyard with friends and was in a lot of joy that has more benefits than playing with online games. There were a lot of aspects of playfulness in those times like playing with same age girls and boys, jumping into water pools together, and trying to catch each other in the water. Every child can engage and learn chores in their homes where parents are more attached to them. People are more helpful and sociable at that time.

Life before the computer has more with their talking times. People write and send letters. Students and researchers go to the library to do their school research to look things up in the books. At that time also everyone buys music at the store, goes outside for shopping, and uses physical maps and compass for directions. Life by that time was simple, average lifestyle and knowledge can be acquired as not so easy.

25. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

Before computer life was so difficult and there was nothing like computer and technology,

many activity was handle conventionally,
    its with the introduction of computer and technology that help in transformation of both the educational system and the industrial system.
    Many things was handle manually and life was really dificult but computer makes work and life very easy since it was introduce.

26. sharnjit

sharnjit New Member

Beautiful! Everything around was real, charming and heart-warming. Playing with real friends was a joy. Trolling around, playing pranks, committing petty mischief, reprimanded for being wayward by parents and teachers were thrilling experiences.

Studying real books, paperbacks, hard-cover, visiting the library, feeling a strange, quaint, and exotic fragrance of the books, jotting down difficult words and taking pains to search and read meanings in the dictionary - the joy was immense.

We children jostled with each other to capture the ground nearest to the screen. Then the projector will start with a buzzing sound. We waited animatedly. The first few scenes would show the progress in the development programs of the Govt. It all felt so exciting but we waited for the actual movie to begin. Watching a movie under the sky, in an open field, sitting on the ground, sticking our necks out so that not a scene was missed!

There were many other aspects of playfulness in those times - like playing with same age girls and boys, jumping into water pools together, and trying to catch each other in the water!

27. bads05

bads05 Member

Before was beautiful, no computer, no mobile phones, children playing traditional games, physical games that's not only make them enjoy but also make them healthy by some physical activities, make them immune to environment.. the only different that makes now better is in terms of communication, so fast, so reliable, you can send and call someone miles away.

28. JanetL

JanetL Member

There are so many ways to make your p.c faster, thou some p.c are slow due to their processor and the capacity of its hard drive.

Cleaning your hard-drive will make your p.c faster and keep it in a good working condition you also need to emty your re-cycling bin and download some software that can update some important application.

Some system will detain and saved unwanted item automatically from a website that is not well protected, this may affect your p.c without your knowledge, it is better to run some maintenance on your p.c before making use of it .

29. Rexway4

Rexway4 Member

With the introduction of computer things has really become simple, now children can play games with their computer set compare to those days when people play local traditional games.

There are so many opportunity with computer once you own a computer set the first thing is that you become a computer literate which can bring so many opportunities to you.

30. Akhilponnu

Akhilponnu New Member

People say that before computers everything was
    beautiful, peaceful etc.
    While this is very true, there was also the not so nice part.
    Communications were hard as for example, I have a
    family in Canada and everytime we would send a letter it
    will take about a month to get a response and to mention
    phone calls which were very expensive.
    Today we do everything with email, skype and whatsapp.
    In order to learn somthing we had to go the public library
    and pay a monthly fee to do that. Today you have endless
    learning sources for free in the internet.
    The news also back then were easy to be manipulated
    because we didn't had any internet so the only sources
    were the TV and newspapers who were controled by all
    kinds of regims and today we see that many things that
    were hidden from the public eyes at that time are floating
    today on the surface.
    Having said that, one of the best things were that
    whenever you set a time to meet someone, you had to be
    puntual because there were no mobile phones as well to
    call in case your'e late.