hypothyroid --- ugh.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by eyesofblu, Apr 8, 2016.

1. eyesofblu

eyesofblu New Member

anyone else dealing with hypothyroidism? i've been diagnosed just over a year, and i'm still trying to figure it all out. brain fog, exhaustion, weight gain, hair loss -- sounds awesome, right?

anyone have any tips - or things that help you deal with things that the thyroid throws at ya?

2. klt2011

klt2011 New Member

I feel your pain because I am currently struggling as well. I have been on Levothyroxine for a year and half and still have symptoms. I recently had blood work done and my labs are good (even with those same symptoms). I am going back to my doctor to discuss Hashimoto's disease. I suggest looking into a book I have been reading, I believe I got it off of Amazon, it is called Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Tests Are Normal? It talks a lot about the autoimmune disorder Hshimoto's and how it is majorly linked to hypothyroidism.

Keep your head up! Things will get better!

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 New Member

Oh, I know it well. One thing I learned was to avoid sugar. I didn't realize that it worked against my sluggish thyroid. And even though I have been on medication for a while, I still have times I battle brain fog, dry skin, and puffiness. Good luck!

4. FriendLyMe143

FriendLyMe143 New Member

Hi, what helped me a lot is avoiding sugar, switched to gluten free and dairy free foods, as well as going soy free. I also cooked my veggies enough just to remove or lessen its goitrogens, specially broccoli and raw bell peppers, coz i love eating them

5. angryeskimo1802

angryeskimo1802 New Member

I've been medicated for hypothyroidism for several years. The symptoms included tiredness, depressive mood and an uncomfortable feeling in my throat which apparently should be attributed to goiter. Over the years it became clear that avoiding alcohol and certain foods like those containing goitrogens and isoflavones lead to improvement, aside from obviously maintaining a healthy lifestyle in general.
    However what did help me significantly was increasing the supplementation of iodine and on even a larger scale, selenium, which is essential for convertion of T4 to T3, to put it shortly.

6. lal86

lal86 New Member

I need to follow this thread. This is something I was diagnosed with years ago but lack or money for doctors and medications I have just "tried to ignore it". I have noticed over the last few years the brain fog is getting worse and I am having serious battles with depression and weight gain. I will definitely look into some of your tips about avoiding sugars and dairies. While I have never been a sweet tooth kinda chick I am finding myself craving them more and more lately. I wonder if that is related or not?