i want to gain weight

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GirlieTM, Sep 20, 2016.

1. smresar

smresar New Member

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would first like to say hello.

I love this from 'wezegan' so true.

Exercise, especially weight training will increase your muscle mass as well as strengthen your skeletal structure. Strength training can increase bone density and reduce your risk of osteoporosis.

Now, to gain muscle, you must also take in an appropriate amount of carbohydrates and protein. You can accomplish this by eating good, clean foods. If meal preparation is not convenient you can purchase protein powders but please read the labels, some contain things you may not wish to consume.

As a last resort, you can also take weight gainer supplements, but please beware that these contain even more undesirable things.

PS. Pure egg crystals and sweet potato and oat protein are now available as drink mixes. They are an alternative to the widely accepted whey proteins available. All are $$$, do your research carefully. Good luck and be well.

Nice meeting you.

2. aakbar525

aakbar525 New Member

well, it depends on your weight and how tall you are first?. Gaining weight is simple enough, but I guess how you gain weight is more important. You can gain weight by building muscle or fat, building muscle will require you to not only eat certain types of foods but also include a daily regime of training your muscles. Building fat, on the other hand, will probably just include you eating 5 meals a day until you see a difference on the scale haha. I would advise on lots of carbohydrates like rice and bread, proteins like chicken and beef, fruits and veg for your daily vitamins. You could also change your portion size and have more snacks than usual.

3. Gingermom

Gingermom New Member

I'm having the same issue as you are OP. I'm eating healthy and clock out a day with 4k calories and yet I'm still severely underweight. I've also been trying to gain muscle mass. I also breastfeed, my 4k calories keeps me at my 90# weight, any less than I start to loose weight.

I've been underweight all my life though so I'm trying not to stress too much but it would still be nice to be at a healthy weight and BMI index for my height and age.

4. lizzyib

lizzyib New Member

I have to admit, when I read the title of this thread I chuckled to myself because most people are looking to lose weight, not gain it. That being said, I understand your plight my friend. I was very skinny as a teenager, and tried so hard to pack on the pounds.

I realize now I was going about it all wrong, and just stuffing my face with junk food was not going to get me the results I desired. It was only later that I was educated and learned that I needed to eat more quality lean protein and really get into the habit of weight training at the gym.

My advice to you is, if you're looking to gain some weight, get yourself into a weight training program and concentrate on your nutrition. Furthermore, be patient. Results aren't going to appear overnight.

5. incrediblesanta

incrediblesanta New Member

I'm not sure you can be as skinny as I am. There's a time I was like this too, I just wanted to gain weight by all means because of all the funny names people call me because of my body frame. I tried almost everything, but nothing worked. I gave up about gaining weight and started learning to appreciate my special gift from God.

6. Toomuchbottlev2.0

Toomuchbottlev2.0 New Member

Work out... That is one of the best way to gain weight. It is also the most beneficial and will show positive results.

7. Mr. Postman

Mr. Postman New Member

The number one rule to gaining weight is increasing your caloric intake. For every 3500 calories a human consumes, he/she gains 1 pound of mass. Their are other factors that will influence the type of mass you gain and how efficiently you are able to gain said mass. Factors such as genetics, metabolic rate, and hormones will play a role.

One of the first steps one is to take when planning to put on mass is to calculate what their current daily caloric intake is. There are very popular apps such as MyFitnessPal that can help you accomplish this. The next step is to set goals for yourself and substantially increase your daily caloric intake. Choose foods that are high in calories and protein and low in glycemic index. Instead of eating white rice, choose brown rice instead. Foods low in glycemic index will be released as energy alot more slowly in your body and not signal your body to store those calories as fat. Go to your local health supplement store and purchase a weight gain powder. These products typically come in 5 to 6 pound cartons and are high in proteins, calories, good fats and low in sugar. They usually are tailor made for people like me and you that are looking to gain weight.

Nourishment is only half of the battle in gaining weight. Resistance training will help keep your body looking toned and good while you pack on all this new weight. The average man puts on 1-2 lbs or muscle per month with consistent resistance training so don't expect the muscle to come overnight. If you are new to working out, I would advise you to hire a fitness trainer to show you what workouts will best be suited for you and to construct a workout regimen that you can follow. Remember once you see results, you will be hooked to the "Gym Life".

8. Yug Pal

Yug Pal New Member

Without consulting a qualified medical physician it would be difficult to decipher if this is a good idea or not, however as long as the individual has no medical conditions that would prevent them gaining weight, the healthiest way to do this is by exercising and building muscles. Protein rich food can help gain muscle mass. There are many different kinds of protein supplements available in the market which can be used to gain weight, too. From personal experience, when I decided to put on some weight, I spent a lot of time doing research and I found some real alternatives. The first one I came across is Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). This is one of the most powerful medicinal plants that has been used for more than 3,000 years in Ayurveda medicines. If you have not heard about Aswagandha, I am sure you might have heard about Ginseng. Aswagandha has many similar properties and that is why it is also called Indian Gensing. I have personally taken Aswagandha, however only after consultation with an Ayurvedic expert. So if you decide to take Aswagandha, please take advice and consult an expert prior to taking it because it is not recommended in the case of hyperthyroidism or pregnancy and can have other side effects in case of high doses.

9. Veezyjay

Veezyjay New Member

It's very easy to gain weight. All you have to do is eat a lot more than what you eat currently. You can set an alarm that reminds you to eat every 3 hours. I used to be really skinny, but after trying this, I saw changes within weeks. Don't forget to exercise regularly too, else you'd become really fat and start looking for weight loss tips.

10. shehriikhan17

shehriikhan17 New Member

For a healthy weight gain, the following tips can help:
    1. Add healthy calories. You don't need to drastically change your diet . ...
    2. Go nutrient dense. Instead of eating empty calories and junk food, eat foods that are rich in nutrients. ...
    3. Snack away. ...
    4. Eat mini-meals. ...
    5. Bulk up.

11. Fred Cochran

Fred Cochran New Member

Different strokes for different folks. I am here putting efforts night and day to lose a few pounds while someone is looking for means to gain some.Life never gives us all we require.
    A few tips for you; eat more often but always eat healthy, eat more of weight gaining foods,take milk and cream,try and stress free and always get yourself quality sleep.

12. melodie23

melodie23 New Member

One product that I heard is good for gaining weight is Ensure ! It is like a protein shake and it has plently of calories in one small drink. It is for people who want to maintain their weight or gain a few more pounds. I have tried this before and it makes me feel good and energized when i drink it .On top of that , it made me gain like 2 pounds for the one pack I bought. I havent bought it anymore because it is honestly quite expensive. It is around twelve dollars for a small 6 pack. When i have some more money I would certainly go and buy some more. Oh, amd the taste is amazing ! the strawberry flavor is the best flavor from them in my opinion. They have around 6 different flavors to choose from.

13. flowgard

flowgard New Member

Gaining weight is kind of easy! You just have to consume a lot of calories. For example, if your body needs 2000 calories a day, your daily calorie intake should exceed that. (You can find out how many calories you need by using an online calorie calculator.) 1 pound is worth 3500 calories, while 1 kilogram, 7700 calories. So if you consume 5500 calories everyday, your weight will increase by around 30 pounds after a whole month.

Search for nutritional information online or on food/drink labels to find out the number of calories in your meals/drinks. Just a warning, don't eat too much at one shot, or else you'll likely vomit from overeating. Hope this helped.

14. Dalb

Dalb New Member

Start working out, eat healthier not more.

15. Dero

Dero New Member

Assuming you mean gaining muscle mass, I'll let you in on a tip I used when I gained 40lbs after 8 months of working out. To summarize it, look up a weight training routine online such as bodybuilding.com, stick to that routine or modify it to fit your schedule or your body.

Take protein shakes within an hour after you do your workout, however, what I did to add extra carbohydrates was I took steel cut oatmeal and ground it in a coffee grinder, then added it to my protein shake mix. That added the extra carbohydrates and calories I needed to gain weight.

Best of luck with your journey and as long as you're not in pain, keep pushing yourself and you won't be disappointed with your results.

16. sspi

sspi New Member

Most people prefer to lose weight instead of gaining it. But if you feel you need to gain weight I guess it is an easier task than to lose it. If it is a matter of being underweight though, it is important to do it carefully, because no extreme is good. I think it would be best to seek medical advice so as not to overindulge in certain fatty or sugary foods which will then pose negative effects such as on cholesterol level and so on.

17. zappd

zappd New Member

I seem to be in the same position as the original poster. Apparently, my BMI - Body Mass Index which is a measure of body fat based on height and weight of adult men and women is not the right proportion.

I have been advised by medical personnel that for medical reasons, I need to gain "just a little bit" of weight. :)

18. appleandcinnamon

appleandcinnamon New Member

It depends on your metabolism and body type. I have a friend who's lean as yarrow stalk; small boned, narrow shoulders with barely any muscle mass. He gains weight when he exercises, not when he increases food intake. That's because he gains muscle and muscles are twice as dense as fat. He loses weight when he slacks and stops going to the gym. His body type doesn't let him retain muscle mass OR fat.

19. RobM

RobM New Member

If you want to gain muscle mass and not fat, then I don't understand why it would be a bad idea. Just eat slightly above your daily maintenance and more importantly make sure you do weight training! Many sites and youtube videos explain beginner workouts you can do, I would check out workouts involving mainly strength training. That's because most beginners have literally no strength when they start although strength is vital as a basis for any further advanced weight training.

20. Caphus Roberts

Caphus Roberts New Member

If your going to gain weight just note that you need to do it the healthy way and not the unhealthy way. Please do not eat fast foods eat healthy fats only.

21. Alexander05

Alexander05 New Member

I am a guy, so I am going to advice you as a guy. If you want to add weight or lets say build your muscles, the best thing you should do is, first and foremost buy supplements e.g. Casilan 90, multi-whey protein etc. They are lots of muslcles building supplements that helps to build your body faster. Secondly, go to the gym. Meet a trained professional to guide you in building your body. It is not going to be easy, your body is going to hurts you, you will spend some money and you have to learn how to discipline yourself, but you know what, ' Nothing good comes easy' you have to work for it.

22. rose thornes17

rose thornes17 New Member

I want to gain weight. I'm too skinny that can be considered as anorexic. It's hard for me to gain weight but easy to lost weight. Gaining weight for couple of weeks, I can lost it in just couple of days by staying awake late at night. I think this runs through the blood as my mom and my brothers are skinny too.
    The bright side of this is I can eat anything I want without getting fat but the bad side is I can't get a job in my chosen field as they thought I'm not physically fit.

23. amandasjay

amandasjay Member

Oh.. never think of gaining weight. Once you gain weight, you wont be able to reduce and you will surely regret it. I want to reduce 4 more kilos.

24. DiogoBatista27

DiogoBatista27 New Member

If you want to gain GOOD weight then you need to exercise. Start doing full body workouts 3-4 days a week with rests in between and supplement that training with a healthy diet, rich in protein and carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are your body's fuel, so they're extra important in this phase of growing muscle. Think of sweet potatoes, bread, pasta, etc.
    If you want raw body weight just eat a lot of whatever.

25. Neil_Ryan

Neil_Ryan New Member

You just have to eat more. If you want to do it scientifically, first calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. It is the amount of energy needed for your body to maintain your current weight while resting. Basic rule of thumb is if you want to gain weight you must have surplus, if you need to lose weight then you need to have a deficit.

26. Roselyn

Roselyn Member

For you to gain weight, you need to increase your intake of calories, eat well, have enough drinks (juice) and sleep well.

27. Incredibleauthor

Incredibleauthor New Member

You роѕtеd this thread fоr a rеаѕоn, maybe thе people have tаlkеd to уоu аbоut іt оr уоu are thе оnlу оnе оf thіѕ ѕіzе in уоur nеіghbоurhооd.In thе fіtnеѕѕ wоrld, уоu’rе саllеd a “hard gаіnеr.” Yоu wеіgh 125 lbѕ., уоu еаt whatever уоu wаnt, and уоu ѕtіll саn’t gаіn wеіght. Yоu’rе rеаdу to bulk up, buіld ѕоmе muscle, and gеt ѕtrоng…but you hаvе nо frеаkіng clue whаt уоu’rе dоіng.
    Thеѕе 5 tірѕ bеlоw wіll gеt уоu ѕtаrtеd dоwn a раth to a stronger рhуѕіԛuе.
    1) Eаt a lоt – Thіѕ sounds muсh easier than іt rеаllу іѕ, but іt’ѕ thе truth.
    If уоu’rе nоt gеttіng bigger, уоu’rе not еаtіng еnоugh.It’ѕ thаt ѕіmрlе.
    2) Eat a lоt оf good thіngѕ – Yоu nееd tо еаt a ridiculous amount оf саlоrіеѕ іf уоu want tо gаіn weight (depending оn hоw ѕkіnnу уоu аrе), but уоu wаnt tо make sure most of those calories аrе GOOD саlоrіеѕ. If you wаnt tо buіld muѕсlе, уоu want tо еаt healthy саlоrіеѕ thаt are lоаdеd wіth gооd рrоtеіn, good саrbѕ, hеаlthу fаtѕ, аnd рlеntу оf vеgеtаblеѕ tо hеlр provide nutrіеntѕ аnd move аll thаt fооd thrоugh your іntеrnаl рlumbіng.
    3) Prоtеіn = building block for уоur muscles – Chicken, fіѕh, meat, еggѕ, mіlk. Aіm fоr 8 gramme of рrоtеіn реr роund оf bоdуwеіght. Yоu dоn’t nееd tо overdo іt wіth 300+ grаmmеѕ оf рrоtеіn lіkе уоu’ll rеаd іn fitness magazines – thеу say thаt ѕо уоu buy their protein роwdеrѕ and gо through іt ԛuісklу.
    4) Cаrbѕ аrе your frіеnd whеn уоu nееd tо put оn wеіght – Rісе, ѕwееt роtаtоеѕ, оаtmеаl, etc. wіll hеlр уоu put on wеіght. You саn аlѕо еаt a lоt оf it tо get уоur саlоrіе gоаlѕ.
    5) Kеер track оf еvеrуthіng уоu eat – Sіgn up fоr a site lіkе MуFіtnеѕѕPаl (it’s free), іnрut уоur stats and start tо trасk еvеrу one оf уоur mеаlѕ. It wіll tеll уоu if уоu’rе еаtіng enough calories, enough рrоtеіn, аnd enough carbs. Onсе you ѕtаrt tо gеt a gооd fееl fоr hоw many саlоrіеѕ you еаt еасh day, trу tо еаt thе same mеаlѕ to keep іt еаѕу.
    6) Cоmроund exercises аrе уоur friend – Uр untіl thіѕ роіnt, wе’vе оnlу tаlkеd аbоut the wеіght gаіn роrtіоn. Do the аbоvе, and you’ll put on wеіght. HOWEVER, іf уоu’rе nоt also trаіnіng рrореrlу, уоu’ll juѕt be getting fat, аnd not buіldіng muscle.And that’s whеrе training comes іn! Cоnсеntrаtе оn соmрlеx, compound еxеrсіѕеѕ thаt rесruіt as mаnу muѕсlеѕ as possible: bеnсh рrеѕѕ, dumbbеll рrеѕѕеѕ, ѕԛuаtѕ, dеаdlіftѕ, рull uрѕ, сhіn uрѕ, and dips.

28. moorebe

moorebe New Member

It's a bad idea indeed. if you are the one in that picture, then you should reconsider you decisions to gain wait because you look okay already.

29. Olufemi

Olufemi New Member

First of all, find out how many calories you need in order to stay the same weight everyday, and then increase your calories by 15%. However, you can do this easily by adding calorically dense foods into your diets such as adding a few glasses of whole milk into your diet everyday or a tablespoon or two of olive oil into your meals.
    Other major tips to gain weight are as follows:
    1. Do not drink water before meals. This can fill your stomach and make it harder to get in enough calories.
    2. Eat MORE calories than your body burns. That is, eat caloric dense foods.
    3. Drink milk.
    4. Try weight gainers shakes
    5. Add cream to your coffee
    6. Do eat fast food well
    7. Get quality sleep

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  30. Kim B

Kim B New Member

I was the same way. I had a hard time gaining weight as a vegetarian. I put on 15 pounds in 2 to 3 months by working out at the gym regularly throughout the week doing cardio but mostly strength training, which made me hungrier, and by religiously eating a ton of avocados. I also ate a lot of chickpeas. I really just picked a few calorie-rich favorite foods as my main staples that I could stand to repeat over and over again instead of trying to force myself to eat and try to digest any and everything, not to say I didn't eat anything else, but I used those as my base. I usually ate them separate from anything else with just a little seasoning. I would suggest you could find a few high calorie foods you find enjoyable and easy to digest and go from there.