I want to work out but I'm too lazy.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by clarketime, Mar 7, 2015.

1. clarketime

clarketime New Member

Hi everybody,

I'm fat and out of shape. I want to work out but I'm too lazy. Any suggestions on getting motivated to lose this fat?

1 person likes this.
  2. Jacey

Jacey New Member

I have a few suggestions...
    1. Make a schedule for yourself. I always find if I have everything laid out, then I get more motivated to go start working out. It also really helps if you have a set time everyday that you put aside. Then you will feel guilty when you miss your workout time.
    2. Find a workout routine that you really like. If it's going to they gym every other day, doing bodyweight workouts at home or whatever you prefer, having a routine that you like and are going to look forward to makes a huge difference.
    3. Don't allow yourself to go to bed without working out. It doesn't matter what kind of day you've had, you have time at the very end of the day to do something. And something is always better than nothing.
    4. Have incentives for yourself. If your goal is to lose weight, then say once you lose 5 pounds, then you reward yourself by buying a new shirt, or something along those lines. It's better to not motivate yourself with junk food though, that's not going to help you reach your ultimate goal.
    5. This doesn't work for me, but some people like to have pictures up (either on their phones, the wall, etc.) of what they would ultimately would like to look like.

Finally, remember that losing weight is 30% working out and 70% eating healthy. You need to have disicpline with what you're eating in order to lose the weight.

Saraa and (deleted member) like this.
  3. caitlinm

caitlinm New Member

While I was trying to 'get fit', one of the hardest things for me to do was get motivated. It got especially hard when I started working really hard and didn't see any results. However, the second i saw the slightest results I was hooked.

One thing that worked for me was setting out my workout clothes at night, or even sleeping in them. It provides a little extra kick to GET THIS DONE. I would get up, get dressed (if I wasn't already) and then decided whether or not I was going to work out. I always decided to.

Another thing that worked for me was setting goals for the day. Fitness goals should not be lumped altogether, especially when you have long-term goals. Setting a small goal for yourself every morning will leave it stuck in your head all day and give you some motivation to do it.

Finally, just imagine what you want to look and feel like. Even though you won't see immediate results in how you appear, you will feel stronger in just a few weeks. It is the most rewarding experience in life, and it's a gift you deserve to give yourself.

I believe in you!

4. Bethany Goodfred

Bethany Goodfred New Member

If your goal if just to lose weight with no real regard to fitness, you could just track your calories. There are many apps out there that can help you do this - a quick google will find you plenty. They take your statistics and recommend a calorie goal based on your height, weight, gender, and how fast you want to lose weight. The thing about them is you have to be totally honest with what you're tracking. If you don't track everything that goes into your mouth with accurate portion sizes, tracking your calories won't help you much at all. It sounds daunting, but it's really so no bad once you get into the swing of it. I've been regularly tracking my calories for a couple years now (I do it to more or less maintain my weight now), and it only takes a couple minutes per meal at most.

However, fitness is always a good goal because in the end, those with healthy behaviors like regular exercise have better outcomes when it comes to things like overall health markers, longevity, disease recovery, etc. I think the current CDC recommendation is 30 minutes 5 times a week or something similar. To hit that, you should really find an activity you're interested in. I love running, so that's mostly what I do. However, there's also cycling, swimming, dance, martial arts, aerobics, and tons of other options out there. It's really important to find something you like so you can actually stick with it.

Finally, it's also important not to jump straight into a hardcore routine. It's much easier to build into a routine, and you'll end up sticking with it longer if you don't make a huge sudden change in your life.

5. Bcw24

Bcw24 New Member

I have been in your shoes before! The best advice I can give you is to find an exercise routine that works within your schedule and most importantly one that you enjoy. I hated to exercise for years because to me it meant becoming a hamster on a treadmill, but then with the help of friends I was able to find things I truly enjoyed. I now do Zumba ( it's like a dance part but man do you burn calories) and take long walks in the nature preserves nearby when time allows.

To find your motivation think about where you want to be and where you are now. There are many blogs and sites that offer weight loss inspiration that can help to remind you why you are changing your lifestyle. Finally, once you do find something you enjoy it is also extremely beneficial to find a work out buddy to keep you motivated and hold you accountable.

6. belleamau

belleamau New Member

Try to post some posters in your bedroom where you can see your old self. Energetic, vibrant, and fit. You will get motivated with those everyday sights. :)

7. Sirjp

Sirjp Member

The feeling is mutual. What I did is to set a goal .I also downloaded my own workout which I can do alone at home. Patience, dedication and disciple are needed.

8. MariaOcampo06

MariaOcampo06 New Member

I can relate with this.. Im fat but im too afraid to die early thats why i motivated myself to do house chores and im not into diet,im just reducing my meal especialy carbs from rice,im not doing exercise everyday but i obligue myself to do it twice a week.

9. syndale

syndale New Member

The truth is that everybody feels lazy to workout at the beginning and it gets better when one has applied oneself to working out daily. You may start by doing exercises that are not stressful like walking, stretching, twisting etc. It feels so much better progressing from these effortless stage to the next level

10. Iya

Iya New Member

If you really want to work out and loose wait you should motivate your self that you need yo do it..

11. writeside1

writeside1 Member

First, make up your mind regarding a strong willpower to get into a good shape. Next, comes your good turn to have a balanced diet, including fresh vegetables and fruits and try to avoid fried food stuffs. Also drink a lot of water and drink a glass of lemon juice daily and make it a point to exercise daily. Take care to do all the above mentioned things and then notice the difference. All the best!!!

12. all-mad-here

all-mad-here New Member

Well, I just got a good laugh out of the title of this thread...believe me, I feel your pain! :rolling: I'm currently in the same boat, although I do well with diet and exercise in spurts. Then I fall off the wagon, get back on, fall off, etc. It's a vicious cycle.

But two things really work for me when I'm "on" again. The first is finding an accountability partner. For me, this is usually a friend who is interested in changing their diet and/or exercising as well. We share our goals with each other and keep in touch (at least once a day, usually via text) to share our successes and admit our failures. We're there to encourage each other and maybe give a good scolding when needed - it just depends on the friend, obviously. If I can find someone that's actually willing to work out with me, that's even better - I'm less likely to ditch the gym if I know I'm going to disappoint someone that was waiting for me to show up.

The second thing is using a good app to keep track of food and exercise. My preferred app is My Fitness Pal, although there are many that will do the same thing. I don't know what it is exactly that makes me more likely to do well if I'm logging everything into my app. I tend to eat better when I see the list in front of me, and exercise more when I see calories burnt deducted from my daily intake. It almost makes it a game, in my mind, and helps keep me on track.

Speaking of making it a game...I keep checking out DietBet, where you actually pay to join in on fitness games. They'll have goals like losing 10% of your body weight by a certain date - if you don't do it, then you just lose the entry fee that you paid. But everyone who accomplishes the goal splits the money - and you're almost guaranteed to make money, since not everyone will finish. It's an intriguing idea, and I think that might motivate me, but I haven't gotten brave enough to try it just yet.

Best of luck, friend. You're not alone!

13. annerbee

annerbee New Member

Losing weight is truly a numbers game! If your only goal is to lose some weight, I would recommend using an app like MyFitnessPal to track your calorie intake and make adjustments according to their lifestyle and needs. Everyone is different. Sometimes people don't realize the reason they're overweight is that they're simply eating too much, or in larger portions than necessary.

However, this is only made easier with exercise! If you're sticking to a reasonable calorie intake goal, the exercise portion is like a "bonus" deficit of calories. Exercise also helps to balance mood, can help regulate stress, and make losing weight easier going forward. You don't have to kill yourself doing it, either. Simply walking or going on a bike ride can be sufficient. You'll find it much easier to stick with if you can find something you actually enjoy. For example, I can't stand running on a treadmill and have had a bad hip joint since childhood, so it starts to hurt after a while. I really love swimming and personally think it's a far-less injurious form of working out.

In any case, consistency is key! Stay mindful on a daily basis and it will become easy. Best of luck!

14. clb038

clb038 New Member

I always find that the best way to kickoff your fitness goals is to have a target date in mind. I typically plan my fitness goals around a special occasion, such as a wedding or vacation. I keep pictures of the destination up all over my home and office so that I am constantly reminded of my goal and how amazing it will feel to be in great shape when I am there. I find that this deters me from pigging out on snacks in the kitchen. It also gives me a little boost to get on the treadmill instead of just sitting around on the sofa. In addition, I keep a food journal so that I am accountable for all of my choices throughout the day. This forces me to think twice before eating junk food and shows me how much exercise would be necessary to compensate for any overindulgence. Best of luck on your fitness journey!

15. BlondieC

BlondieC New Member

It’s much more sustainable to have smaller, more realistic goals. Maybe have a weekly or daily goal and only focus on that. Taking the stairs and parking far away from the the entrance to a store is something you could do, as well as cutting out soda or chips. Maybe make a reminder on your phone to stand up and walk around every hour. Every little bit helps!

16. cheanss2009

cheanss2009 New Member

Start to build your mindset and focus on your goal. if you want to be fat don't do anything if you want be fit you need to have your goals. Discipline is the key, in order to change your lifestyle it will start from you , changing what you eat and changing your workout routines. Start a routine that your body will love to do such as walking atleast 30 mins a day jogging also will boost your stamina.

17. yhaneen.bart21

yhaneen.bart21 New Member

That is my problem, but i think i need to change mindset. I should have discipline and to push more myself to do a simple routine everyday. Just a simple exercises will do, i will start making zumba at home. Or simply by taking care of my 7 months old baby will do.

18. ajslorezca

ajslorezca New Member

Feeling so lazy and feel not doing anything? I believed that its just your mind set, have your motivation or set a date with your peers or best friend to have a work out bonding day even once a week. This will be a big help for you to feel being motivated in having those work out routines.

19. cjgwapa

cjgwapa New Member

The word Want their is a great motivation itself.
    Your too lazy too work out but your Determine to lose fat.

Okay first thing you do is to have a Proper diet reduce eating fatty foods like burgers, fries, post. Also in eating oily and salty foods.
    Then use HGC Diet you can search this online. Just 30 drops per day without exercising you could lose weight but with only 500 calories per day
    Lastly, don't give up. Bear in your mind that one day you can lose your fat and be physically fit!

Have a great day!

20. Desmos

Desmos New Member

Find a reason to why you are trying to lose weight. Do not lose weight for the sole purpose of losing weight, actually ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" Once you find that, motivation will immediately spark, and you will think of nothing else except achieving your goals. One thing that helped me is meditating. Meditating will help you with your emotions, as well as having a huge impact on your life, as your mind tries to be empty and just do things you want to do. I recommend 5-10 minutes for beginners, then going on up to 15-20, or 30 if really needed.

21. Sometimes, the pain we feel is the only way to motivate us.

Look at yourself in a mirror. Think of what people think and say about you, all the bad words that make your feeling hurt. Your crush that you think will never like you because you're fat. The opportunities you can lose. Look at some sexy girls on the internet, embrace the insecurity you feel. You might pity yourself but don't go to the negative side, be positive make them your motivation.

1 person likes this.
  22. sexyslaveavah

sexyslaveavah New Member

that is what i did before and yes, very effective. My ex who broke my heart, leave me because I'm fat he is one of my motivation and also her sexy new girlfriend as he said...:laugh: lmao she's now look like a mother of 3 kids...

23. audhumla

audhumla New Member

Consider making an appointment with a mental health counselor. A lot of what is considered laziness or poor motivation can be symptomatic of mental issues, that when addressed can make finding motivation a lot easier.

24. Bamegr

Bamegr New Member

Hi, there! It is better to be overweight and active than be overweight and not active. People considered overweight and fit actually had a lower risk compared to people who has ideal body size but unfit. Whether it’s being regularly active or having a high fitness level, these two things lower your risk for early death and heart disease compared to people of equal body size who are inactive and out of shape. Basically, being active and in good shape is good for you regardless of body size.
    Being active and in shape at any size is good for you. And given the challenge of weight loss, focusing on regular activity is a sure way to improve your health.
    So, worrying about weight or body size may not be ideal unless your physician considers it to be a problem.

25. jojosef29

jojosef29 New Member

If you want to work out but your to lazy, it is great if you have friends that can help you be motivated to work out with 'them. It is more fun if you have a companion that you can enjoy while doing your work out. I think if you don't really need to work out or you have a normal body type, just simple walking going to the park is a great work out. Cleaning the house can be a simple work out or the some simple stretches. There are videos in youtube that you can watch and have a great music that you can enjoy working out.

26. Aharb1410

Aharb1410 New Member

Sometimes the thought of driving to a gym can sound exhausting. I would say start out small and just do a few eversizes at home. There are plenty of ways to exercise without equipment and just using our bodyweight. Then once you form the habit you will want to go to the gym.

27. blueflowers

blueflowers New Member

I totally get not feeling motivated to work out. I used to go to the gym and take classes, but kept stopping after a while. The longest I lasted was a couple of months which isn't great. Right now I'm working on something called Joyful Movement where exercise is not viewed as something you have to do, but something you want to do. So think about what you like to do- maybe dancing, biking, playing baseball, whatever and do that. Exercise should be fun and I think it'll be easier to stay motivated if you're excited about the movement.

It also helps to think about how you'll feel after exercise- probably sweaty, but great from working out!

28. gettothemoney

gettothemoney New Member

Its really hard sometimes to stay motivated especially if you don't have anyone to push you and you have to push yourself and make yourself do things even if you really don't feel like it. Whenever I feel like not doing anything I try to think about how I feel after I workout and the days after, the feeling is amazing. Il admit it I have fallen into the I don't want to do anything trap many times and the feeling it leaves sucks so I'm going to try my hardest to stay motivated and stay at it.

29. sasarus

sasarus New Member

Just start with small things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Exercising is really hard to start but once you start and you are some time into it you cant live without it. It becomes a habit. You should be able to do some easy exercises (google easy exercises for whole body) so dont have an exact time when you do those exercises but just do them when you feel like doing them and try to do them every day. If you miss it today dont worry just try doing it tomorrow. Your goal should be to have a habit of exercising every day so that your brain beats laziness. You will see that after a month or two you are not lazy anymore and then just google some training plans for beginners and start doing them. When it comes to diet just dont eat like a bull and try eating healthy whatever you think healthy is. That is how you start ( you should change diet later but not right in the beginning because your body is not used to some other foods and you will not be able to do it for a long period of time just because your body will demand the food that you ate before diet and not many people can resist that )

30. Tehilah27

Tehilah27 Member

Working out can be daunting. The best thing you can do is engage in activities that you enjoy which are energy consuming at the same time. I love to dance and I can do it for hours without tiring because I love it! If you do not like dancing then take a stroll with a friend in the evening when the sun has set. You burn energy walking and you won't realize how much you have walked because you are talking and having fun with your friend. You might take on a sport, playing tennis, volleyball or any sports that interest you. I believe it is the little things that count and add up and before you realize it, you have met your goals.