Improve you vocabulary by reading a lot of books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Mia09, May 21, 2019.

1. Mia09

Mia09 Member

It is tested that by reading a lot of books, you encounter a lot of unique words which you become familiar with.

2. It really helps that when you read a lot of books you learn more, you improve your vocabulary understand more things that you have no knowledge about. You become more updated and informed with day to day happenings around the world.

3. emax2000

emax2000 Member

You become more fluent.

4. Teambits

Teambits New Member

Reading a lot helps in improving your level of awareness.It increases your reasoning skills and how you visualise things .

5. vgeomeljohn

vgeomeljohn New Member

Yes that is true. You can also improve your vocabulary skills not only by just reading books but by also writing. Writing novels or poetry greatly improves your vocabulary skills because it makes you think. In my opinion, I advise to read a book you wholeheartedly love and after reading it, write anything about it. Be it comments, criticisms, or praises. You may not notice it but your vocabulary skills will improve a lot. Doing this type of process is good for your improvement while also having fun.

6. pintado2001

pintado2001 New Member

Reading books not only gives you a wider vocabulary, it give you a vicarious experience of other people adventures among others. Personally, my thinking process improved.

In short, you get a lot more just reading books.

7. Wolfiend

Wolfiend Member

Reading plus writing; a scary and deadly combination which if implemented consistently, can make you an incredible learned man.

8. git531

git531 Member

Yes indeed reading books increases your vocabulary. But for me reading eBooks increases a little bit more than reading a book because every time i encounter an unrecognized word in a book i find it hard to lookup in a dictionary, especially if there are lots and lots of unrecognized words and i had to look up again and again, the process becomes quite boring. But in an eBook reader there is an inbuilt dictionary which is very easy to use, you just need to click the word and the meaning pops up. So reading an eBook to increase your vocabulary is a little bit better than reading a book.

9. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

Definitely, I need all types of books to increase my vocabulary. I read books again and again and increase my vocabulary every time and i encounter an unrecognize word in a book and find it difficult words in a dictionary. If i feel bore I reading books and find out hard words and write down in the dairy. Sometimes, i read ebook but increase vocabulary little bit better than reading books. I read books daily and increase my vocabulary day to day.

10. dobusinesswithclb

dobusinesswithclb New Member

Reading could really improve your vocabulary. When I read there would be words that I'm not familiar with and I always try to search their meaning. A wide vocabulary I believe would not just help you in school but at work too. Reading books is a hobby that coyld not just widen your vocabulary but your imagination too. It could help you in many ways.

11. Rinkukrksth

Rinkukrksth Member

I read a lot books and improve my English vocabulary. I pick out the hard word when I read book. I search the meaning to hard words during the reading books. It is not possible to o one day. If you want to improve English vocabulary words under the hard words and search their meaning. It is the best way to improve English vocabulary daily. I am fond of reading books. I imagined the words in my mind with pictures. Then I remember word meaning to improve English vocabulary.

12. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

I read daily many books to improve my English vocabulary. Really! reading book is helpful to improve my English vocabulary. I become more update to improving my English. I feel happiness to read book. I search difficult words in the dictionary.

13. krisferanne

krisferanne New Member

I agree with this. Whether it is an e-book or the typical paperback, we gain a lot from just reading books.

I also think it is not only our vocabulary that will improve when we are reading. Reading expands our knowledge not only in words but also in ideas/imagination. It helps us learn how to properly use and link words together. In other words, our grammar improves as well. Thus, it enhances our communication skills and (depending on what we read) probably our cognitive skills too.

If you are really planning to expand your knowledge through reading. Make sure to have a diverse book list. A mix of the classics and modern is quite helpful and it doesn't matter if it is just a novel or something. As long as you feel that its content can help you, go ahead and have fun.

14. charles2reality

charles2reality New Member

I agree with this. As individual humans, we can only experience or know so much. We need to gain knowledge and stories from others to help give us a more comprehensive view of the world.

The key, however, is curiosity and openness. We need to be open to reading different opinions and perspectives. Otherwise, we'll end up in an echo chamber, only reading information that already confirms our beliefs.

15. elliethegypsy

elliethegypsy Member

Absolutely. Reading can make people smart and knowledgeable in so many things. Sometimes, apart from learning in experiences, reading can also help us solve our problems. And there are times that we can share and communicate with other people by sharing what we have read and have a conversation with them.