Insomnia

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skyblue, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue New Member

Sometimes, you may find it even harder to get some sleep. However, try to find the position most comfortable for you. Get lots of rest and elevate your feet whenever you can. Every time I cannot sleep, I always drink a lot of water and it really works.

2. singularityxsoul

singularityxsoul New Member

Finding a way to quiet your mental cycling is very useful. There are many ways to do this, like writing in a journal, making a list of good things that happened to you during the day/things you are grateful for, meditation, affirmations, or thinking of a pleasant scene in your mind. There are surely many more examples but you get the general idea, basically just something to calm your mental state so you can drift off peacefully.

Mcbillion0 likes this.
  3. TNMoon

TNMoon New Member

I have lived insomnia since I was a child. I think as a child I didn't like going to bed before everyone else and I was scared, so I made myself stay awake, then, the "gift" of staying awake never left me. When I was older in school, such as high school, I had a somewhat normal schedule and slept okay, but then once adulthood hit, it was back to staring at the ceiling and tossing and turning.
    I know that when I go to bed, I will be awake for no less than an hour, usually it's two hours. If I know I have to get up early for a doctor's appointment or church...I don't sleep a wink. For some reason, if I know I have to be up by a certain time I can't sleep. This also occurred when I worked a structured job. I would either take hours to fall asleep or wake up hours before I needed to.
    It's now gotten to the point that I have to have medical help for sleep. I think if I could afford a massage every night for two hours before bed, I could go to sleep, but, for now, I just take a pill. From what I've read, there are many that have insomnia.

4. Cornelia Yonkova

Cornelia Yonkova New Member

When I suffer insomnia, instead of taking sleeping pills, I prefer drinking a cup of warm water or milk. Milk is really helpful when you can't close your eyes and get the rest you so much need. After drinking the life-giving cup of warm milk by night, I need not more than half an hour to fall asleep.

5. Kenya Friday-Clark

Kenya Friday-Clark New Member

Download the meditation app called "CALM". Take vitamin D 400 mg, 200 mg of magnesium citrate, and 3 mg of melatonin. These fall under supplements and not drugs and are all over the counter so read the warning labels. My husband's homeopathic doctor gave him this combination and it worked like a charm. DO NOT take more mg than what I've told you and research this formula first! Also, add a cup of sleepy time tea (chamomile and/or lavender). This tea is sold at Walmart.

6. Panther G

Panther G New Member

Insomnia is something that I have been dealing with since as long as I can remember. The times that I do fall asleep at a reasonable time has always ended with me waking up throughout the night. I have done meditation before trying to sleep; and that has worked. I just can't do it too early; otherwise I wake up in the middle of the night.

7. honestymatters

honestymatters New Member

Insomnia has kept me awake for years. I was overweight and tired all the time. No matter what I did, I just felt defeated. Medication was not the answer for me, so I further evaluated my condition. I decided to change my eating habits and my insomnia improved. The more healthy physically I became, the better I slept.

8. flairwriter

flairwriter New Member

Many people suffer from insomnia on a daily basis. Some people result to pills while people are already used to the situation. People have looked for different solutions to help them curb insomnia yet the most common one I have come a cross is sleeping pills. However, using sleeping pills for insomnia shows one would have to be using it for the rest of their lives? Is there no harmful effect to that?

It is interesting how drinking a lot of water works for you. May be someone else also does that? Anyway, I have not done that before and maybe one day I will give it a fine try. I have also had my own share of sleeping difficulty. Maybe I do over work myself sometimes or so. However, I try to set boundaries sometimes to minimize stress. Too much work and little sleep is not good as it has some bad effect.

This thread is so far informative as I have seen that even warm milk is also useful concerning insomnia. Research has even shown that there are even two types of insomnia; short-term insomnia which lasts for about three months or so while the other type is chronic insomnia, even by the name “chronic” one can understand this type of insomnia. It can occur at least three times in week and last for about three months.

9. chumzybabe

chumzybabe New Member

Insomnia is difficulty in falling asleep or even staying asleep, insomnia patients usually suffer from fatigue, mood swings and lack of concentration. Insomnia is usually caused by circumstances and can be be treated by finding the root cause and solving it.

10. Mcbillion0

Mcbillion0 New Member

Establish a regular bedtime routine, Find activities that helps you wind down before bed, and stick to the same sleep-wake schedule even on weekends.
    Don't smoke. Smokers commonly exhibit symptoms of insomnia. Better still, see a Doctor.

11. samtraxplores

samtraxplores New Member

I try to eat dinner at least four hours before going to bed, it really helps if you don't have a belly full of food. If I am struggling to fall asleep, I do this simple breathing technique which has worked every single time for me, here is what you need to do:
    Close your eyes, take a deep breath through the nose, hold it for few seconds, exhale through the mouth and focus your mind on this breathing technique. Doing this for 3-5 minutes will help your body to relax.

12. oh8a

oh8a New Member

There are many nights where I am completely restless because of random thoughts coming up in my head. When this happens, I try taking a few deep breathes and putting on some relaxing melodies.

13. osolase

osolase New Member

Sleep hygiene as we call it is an important step in relieving insomnia. Turning the light off at set times, avoiding coffee and alcohol towards bedtime, avoid heavy meals and overexciting activities such as watching a late night movie and playing video games among others will help you to find some good sleep.

14. Lukehhh

Lukehhh New Member

If your a computer lurker like me, I'd recommend one of the programs that dims your computer screen at night(some actually take the blue light out of the screen, which is the color which most effects your perception of day and night.
    Have you ever thought of seeing a doctor about it? I've a severe imsomniac, and can be awake for days at my worst. and seeing a doctor lead to a prescription and some professional advice.

From what I've learned, avoid strenuous activity before bed, cut your coffee intake and try and keep your phone out of the bedroom!

15. gallantwriter

gallantwriter New Member

Some days I just can't sleep with different thoughts running through my head and the next day everything goes back to normal. I just start using the method of exercising and eating three hours before bed and the problem has reduce tremendously.

16. Mary626

Mary626 New Member

Insomnia can be triggered by many things, for me it was the deadly concoction of sleep aniexty and post traumatic stress disorder. After struggling for a long time my relief came through journalling, relaxation and sleep sensitization . I am so happy I am able to sleep for so many hours now.

17. Ademola Adeosun

Ademola Adeosun New Member

My own experience of insomnia started early in my teenage life when I had to wake up every night during school term time to read and review what I had learnt in school. It became much more deepened during periods that I had to prepare for exams. There is always much anxiety that drives sleep away. This continued till when I became an adult and along the line, I had a job schedule that necessitated running morning and night shifts. This made a terrible condition worse. It is now more than a decade after I stopped working shift work but having a quick and regular sleep at night had remained a daunting task.
    I have had lots of advice on how to manage the situation but this have not had the required impact of returning me to the sleep pattern which I will love to have. I am awake all night and only get a couple of hours of sleep when its already day break.

18. Lady B

Lady B New Member

Insomnia can be caused by too much sugar intake and coffee as well including psychological factors. Lack of sleep can be dangerous to your health because there is often a underlying medical condition that causes chronic insomnia. I too suffered from insomnia and for me to sleep i use sleeping apps they work wonders, I now sleep at night, if this doesn't work try to reduce caffeine.

19. Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep, or cause you to wake up too early and not be able to get back to sleep. You may still feel tired when you wake up. Insomnia can sap not only your energy level and mood but also your health, work performance and quality of life. How much sleep is enough varies from person to person, but most adults need seven to eight hours a night. I usually sleep 7-8hrs.

20. Belregen

Belregen New Member

In the modern word we hive now. Insomnia is a commom sleep disorder we have incounter its becouse of our improper sleeping habbit over use of our gadget and also to much night activity.

21. DBaker20

DBaker20 New Member

My insomnia started when I was in Afghanistan. I used to say that it was because I was in a new place, without my family and with everything going on; I was just "too nervous" to sleep. Well, that was 6 years ago and here I am, still sleepless. Three children under the age of 5 have all but ensured that my insomnia never goes away. I can't even think about falling asleep until about 2 am every night. Then when I DO try to go to sleep, my thoughts simply won't stop. I'm worried about milk cups in the morning, chores, bills, what to eat, what work I'm going to get done the next day, how tired I'm going to be.. and the list goes on and on until I don't even realize I've fallen asleep. I wake up when I toss or turn, and then the next thing I know my youngest is waking me up between 6 and 7 am to repeat my never changing days.. A close friend of mine has suggested unplugging from all electronics no less than 30 minutes before bed, and simply taking that extra time to read or write. She said that shutting off my mind from the numerous outside distractions should help to slow my thoughts prior to going to sleep. I haven't tried it yet, but I think now would be a good time to. :) Good night all! Hoping for restful sleep for everyone.

22. Sherry Maine

Sherry Maine New Member

I'm also suffering from this sleeping disorder. It is said to be an outcome of many things either collectively or singly, such as occupational stress, anxiety, depression, migraine, hypertension, shock, fear, nightmares, other biological or psychological disorders, etc.

For me it has never been a serious problem, however. I have cultivated it towards achieving my goal of establishing myself as a good writer and a traveler. During my waking times I indulge in writing, reading, listening to music among other things. I do make sure to rest my tired eyes during my siestas. That way I can keep working longer. I have heard that by doing yoga one can overcome some of the early symptoms of insomnia. It's better to prevent this before it becomes serious. I would advice everyone, whether he/she is suffering from insomnia or not to do yoga, some breathing exercises, and meditation. This way they can relieve their stress and lead a heathy life.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  23. Domingotarlejr

Domingotarlejr New Member

I also have problem with this sleeping disorder. I really have a bad sleeping habit that results of having insomnia. I used to sleep around 3am because of doing some stuff with my gadgets and its getting worst. Now I got my sleep in 5 in the morning. It is really affecting my health. I lose weight and muscles because I skipped meals. And I fell more irritating and stress... I hope I can manage to this to bring back my good health

24. Angel07

Angel07 New Member

I've been dealing with insomnia for years, my physician prescribed me some medications, it worked for a few days but then it didn't work anymore, I got them changed but the new meds didn't work either, I started to ask for night shifts at work because at a certain point it was a lot easier for me to do night shifts as I was used to be awake during the night, but then night shifts resulted too dangerous for a girl and I went back doing morning or afternoon shifts, the only thing that really worked for me against insomnia was sleep hypnosis, but I can't do that every night so I'm still looking for other alternatives.

25. penshoppeboi03

penshoppeboi03 New Member

Can you help me overcome my insomia? Thanks

26. I hope that it works for me too however it's different story for me. I don't sleep easily, it's really hard for me to fall asleep. I am jealous with my partner and mom once they're in the bed they can easily fall asleep, I hope I have that kind of ability. I've been battling with insomnia since I was in high school, I really don't know what's the cause and I haven't done any medical check as I am afraid.

But if I have things to do the next day for me to defeat my insomnia is to really workout or tire out myself on physical activities. Sometimes I have to do zumba or workout. But one of the easiest way to make me fall asleep is to eat grapes, I don't know why but every time I eat grapes it makes me feel so sleepy. That's the time I take advantage and sleep.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  27. friendlycow

friendlycow New Member

I have had trouble sleeping since i was a child.Even a toddler.I just didnt like sleeping.I remeber i used to think sleeping was a waste of time.I will explore the house and read or draw when everyone was asleep.Now i still have problems sleeping and insomnia is part of my everyday life but i have a better sleep schedule and usually sleep in no less than 2 hours.Listening to calming music and reading helps me sleep.

28. flower48

flower48 New Member

I believe insomnia is one of the effects of stress. In our world today stress is everywhere and we face it worse and worse because of all kind of rules coming our way at every step in life. Many people take tablets for insomnia and they still cannot sleep so I believe each person should find his/her own way of coping with it. My own way when I really can't fall asleep is to play a game on the mobile - all this being in bed!

29. beautifulmarisa

beautifulmarisa New Member

It a common sleep disorder and I used to have that. What I did was i drank a cup of hot milk, took a lot of deep breath, and thats it. I was able to sleep.

30. alzhai1328

alzhai1328 New Member

Insomnia can be caused by psychiatric and medical conditions, unhealthy sleep habits, specific substances, and/or certain biological factors. Recently, researchers have begun to think about insomnia as a problem of your brain being unable to stop being awake (your brain has a sleep cycle and a wake cycle—when one is turned on the other is turned off—insomnia can be a problem with either part of this cycle: too much wake drive or too little sleep drive). It's important to first understand what could be causing your sleep difficulties.