Insomnia

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skyblue, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Crish

Crish New Member

Insomnia is typical disorder for a person who has a bad sleeping habits. Sometimes they were associated to a some kind of decease. Others correct their sleeping habits to change it. Some will drink different pills to temporary lessen the effect of insomnia and be able to sleep on the exact time they want to sleep. But to totally remove insomnia is still a question mark. Many people said that they don't have insomnia but experiencing difficulty to sleep when they want to. For me the way to fix this is prevention or awareness. If you know that the you have this kind of disorder avoid to much caffeinated drinks, lessen the amount of things that will make you think too much before going to sleep and lessen the amount of food intake before sleeping. Lastly relax your mind, if playing ocean music or music of the forest will help you calm, do it. Don't dwell on the scenario that you are experiencing insomnia then you get irritated. Help yourself. Doctor and medicines are not always the best solution, sometimes it's just ourselves.

2. Noragamijeaddo

Noragamijeaddo New Member

Insomnia is a health issue regarding difficulty in sleeping aside from this it's also affect the quality of life, poor concentration and motivation ad even increase motivation. I deal with insomnia like exercise , maintaining a regular sleep schedule and avoid stressful thought before going to bed that might keep you up at night, don't eat too much before going to bed. Also you might consider reading a book, it works most of the time.

3. Analyn Cagyat

Analyn Cagyat New Member

Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep, or cause you to wake up too early and not be able to get back to sleep. You may still feel tired when you wake up. Insomnia can sap not only your energy level and mood but also your health, work performance and quality of life.

4. marblank1313

marblank1313 New Member

I am suffering with my sleep for a long time now, as far as i can recall it started when i was in high school. I got used to it since it was 15 years or more when i started to feel anxiety before i sleep. I don't remember very well but i think it was the stress around those days that got me into this situation. Different problems came up at the same time that my brain always automatically overthink what happened within my day and then it made me awake until morning almost every time. Even now i still can't sleep early but when my body feels so tired and exhausted it just seems to shutdown automatically. I am very much contented if i slept for five hours straight without waking up in the middle of my sleep. As i got used to it, i am started to feel like when i am asleep i am really not, because just a little noise or movement around me can wake me up instantly. Drinking liquors helps me in a way that when i am too drunk then goes to bed my mind wont overthink and my anxiety pauses so i can sleep well for the night or morning after drinking a lot. I am not advising anyone to drink everyday or regularly just to fall asleep but it really works for me. I know it is a negative way and will also affect my body and health in the future but for now it is my best way to escape being awake.

5. christian cabalar

christian cabalar New Member

Insomnia is not a sleep disorder in and of itself, but a related symptom of other problems, including an assortment of common physical and psychological disruptions in the sleep cycle. this is the one of the very irritating to us. The symptoms of this insomnia include the inability to fall asleep, the inability to stay asleep, the inability to concentrate and function in your daily activities. if you want to cure this insomnia is less caffeine in you body,don't smoke take a bath regularly. i think insomnia is one of the effect of the stress. there are different kind of insomnia one is acute insomnia this kind of insomnia is cause of stress that receiving a like a bad news or travel. acute insomnia can be resolve without any medication.next is chronic insomnia this is a long term patter difficultly sleeping. chronic insomnia has many causes to this kind of insomnia next is comorbid insomnia this kind of insomnia is a cause of depression,back pain which may make you hard to sleep. Next is onset insomnia this kind of insomnia that difficulty fell a sleep at the beginning of the night and last maintenance insomnia people with maintenance insomnia wake up during the night and have difficulty to returning to sleep. these are the kind of insomnia. good health and think positive the best way to prevent is insomnia.

6. Abijah Abdiel Yutuc

Abijah Abdiel Yutuc New Member

Insomnia is one of the health problem today. It causes so many ways. Just like me, when I'm have encounter some challenges from my job. It made to think to much that cause me to sleep late. This was not healthy because in the next day you can't perform your job well. Some of the case of insomnia need a medical assistance. Yes, there was a time that it was hard to fight against insomnia. For me, just pray and trust in GOD. Remember we can't control everything but GOD can control. If you will do this you can feel the comfort to sleep better.

7. Abijah Abdiel Yutuc

Abijah Abdiel Yutuc New Member

Insomnia for me was serious health and emotional problem. If a person suffering insomnia maybe he/she is suffering to a personal problem. We need to accept the fact there was some people still can't show there feeling even there was a lot of social media website. They need help to understand because it may go to depression. They need support from the family or friends. They not easily gave their trust in a person because so much pride. So be sensitive in this kind of poerson.

8. Daniel89

Daniel89 New Member

Whatever you do to put an end to this living hell called "Insomnia", do NOT take benzodiazepines to help you sleep.

Benzos are the most commonly prescribed pills for lack of sleep. Initially they help, but after a few days/weeks the brain gets adapted to the drug and you have to start taking a higher dose. It's an never ending cycle.

Due to the fact that Benzos forcefully calm the brain, when the drug's effect wears off, people get rebound anxiety, panic, intrusive thoughts and woah laaa... INSOMNIA - only this time it is stronger.

If you have insomnia, do Yoga, meditate, eat a healthy diet, go see a hypnotherapist, but don't take chemical drugs.

9. Natacia Conner

Natacia Conner New Member

I could not imagine having this sleeping disorder and I truly empathize with those who have it. I did use to struggle with falling asleep. I always resorted to natural remedies. Melatonin stopped working for me after a year. I researched other teas and herbal remedies. What also helped me was getting into routine. It was a fairly big investment but I purchased extra memory foam pads to make my bed more comfortable. I practiced meditation to clear my mind. I hope some of this helps.

10. Alexandra Neilson

Alexandra Neilson New Member

Sleep can be one of the most elusive things, but if you have it you don't give it a second thought! I am someone who has suffered on-and-off with insomnia my entire life. Routine has been the biggest thing that has helped me. I have a tea, read my book and if my brain is still alive I listen to the 'Sleep With Me' podcast whose host has a droning voice. Happy sleeping!

11. Fishda

Fishda New Member

There are many home remedies for insomnia. This sleeping disorder is not to be taken lightly. It will affect your daily activity and your health. When i was still working with a shifting schedule from night to morning and vice versa i started having sleeping problems. At first your mood will be affected , your getting angry on little things , being lazy and unproductive ... eventually your health will come next. I got eye-bugs, sore throat, cramping problems and the worst headache ever. I tried some home remedies and some unusual things just to cope up with insomnia. I tried using pills which made it worst.

The everlasting search for good sleep ended when i started doing meditation. Meditating helps you normalize your breathing and slow down brain activity. With good exercise and a healthy diet i made it....Now i'm still having trouble sleeping from time to time but managing it now is easy....

12. alielcrown

alielcrown New Member

I always think negative and always stressing myself and I think that's my cause of insomnia. I searched Google about Insomnia Google give me an answer and that is Insomnia has 2 types : Primary and Secondary, 2 kinds : Acute and Chornic.

2 Types
    Primary Insomnia - sleep problem that is not associated with any other health condition.
    Secondary - Basically the opposite or much worst, meaning that a person having a sleep problem due to health condition. Such as : Asthma, Arthritis, Cancer, Depression and Heartburn.

2 kind
    Acute Insomnia - Short-term insomnia some causes includes: Illness, Emotional or Physical Discomfort Etc.
    Chronic Insomnia - Long-term insomnia some causes includes: Pain, Anxiety, Discomfort at night etc.

WANT KNOW MORE VISIT : https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/insomnia-symptoms-and-causes

13. kwwrites

kwwrites New Member

I read recently that in the Middle Ages people had 'two sleeps': they would go to bed when the sun set, wake up in the middle of the night for an hour or two, then go back to sleep for the remainder of the night. When researchers decided to see what would happen to sleep patterns if there was no artificial light, research participants eventually fell into this 'two sleep' rhythm. I think this shows how bad for us artificial light is, so my suggestion to anyone who has trouble sleeping is to limit your exposure to screens at night - use a program that removes the blue light from your laptop/smartphone or just stop using them all together for the hour before bed. Hope this helps!

14. Khine

Khine New Member

It is really hard for me to sleep and my body clock is adjusting to the time I am frequently sleeping for example I have been staying up late from the past two months until 2 am and when I force my self to sleep turning off my phone and laptop, it is still hard for me to sleep. And these few months my head has been hurting I think its because of late night sleeps and being wakeful the next day.

15. almond

almond New Member

In my experience in insomnia, I thought insomnia can't cure. When I was in high school it's very hard for me to sleep even I close my eyes for an hour. It take me a year to cure my insomnia, what I did is practice drinking alcohol every night so I can easily get to sleep. It's very effective but the consequence is being addictive to alcohol.

16. Stacy Stephens

Stacy Stephens New Member

I have suffered from insomnia for many years now. The older I get the worse it seems to get. I have times I get into a good sleep routine, then something will happen and get all messed up again.I think for me there's a lot of things that play into it. Stress is a major factor. I'm one of those people who can't turn their brain off at night. I only will take melatonin to help me sleep but sometimes even that doesn't work.

17. Maryjoy123

Maryjoy123 New Member

Insomnia kills me, suffering this in years now,i feel dizzy everyday,and its affect my daily routine, my mind set up, my work and everything,At first, i just ignoring this bad sleeping pattern, i just think that this maybe the effect of coffee but every poor nights comes in this way its all messed up.
    I tried cleaning my rooms with sweet musics, vitamins just to get asleep, but nothings happen, I am planning now to meet a doctor to overcome my insomnia. Hoping and looking forward to a good result.

18. Amiel

Amiel New Member

Had insomnia before. I tried all the stuff to sleep ranging from counting sheep to drinking a cup of milk. Kinda worked but not really effective to me. The "guy thing' (you know what I mean haha) kinda works! I'm serious, it really works! Makes you tired and put you to sleep right after you've done it! I'm not ashamed to share this, for health benefits okay. However, prayer was the most effective tool. It is because I resorted to it when all the ways didn't do much. If you are a believer, try it. If not and you tried all means, I suggest visiting a doctor would be of great help. :)

19. jackiee1

jackiee1 New Member

I have been dealing with insomnia for over 10 years now. I have been doing some research, per I want to address the root cause, and not just get a quick fix. I have found that having "hypothyroidism" and "LEAKY GUT"play a BIG ROLE. Once a fix these two issues thru diet and supplementation, I should SLEEP better!

20. Sleep is, something so vital, so essential and core requirement, for a living body, that the whole system may lead to a disastrous fate in case of a lack of proper sound sleep.
    There are so many detailed definitions of Insomnia according to different researchers. But widely accepted definition is the one that wikipedia states-"Insomnia, also known as sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder where people have trouble sleeping. They may have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep as long as desired. Insomnia is typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood.
    Though the science of 'Sleep' is still considered undiscovered mostly, the advancement in science and technology has an consistently contributing effect on fighting against the sleeping challenges in peoples' daily life.
    The major causes of Insomnia are-

Symptoms of insomnia can be caused by or be associated with:

21. Balatszki_07

Balatszki_07 Member

One of the most common health problems of modernity is insomnia—or, how it is also often called, sleep deprivation. Its prevalence is caused by the fact that it, firstly, accompanies a large number of mental conditions (starting from regular anxiety and/or frustration, and ending up with depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and so on), and secondly, by a number of environmental factors, such as noise pollution. Regardless of the reasons causing it, insomnia is a dangerous condition, being a cause of a wide range of health problems, both mental and physical.

22. Hatim

Hatim New Member

The things you mention are alright for a normal person but I think an insomniac needs much more than this to be able to finally cure this problem. I've researched insomnia and sleep patterns a lot, and have found out two ways (one mental and the other chemical) to cure insomnia once and for all.

1.) Snap Sleep Training: This technique was developed by the famous self-help blogger and author Steve Pavlina. In it, you train your mind to switch from the sleep's preparatory stages to actual sleep really fast. This shortens the wind-down time and you can fall asleep at the exact same time every night within 20 secs. First, the caffeine intake must be brought down to zero. You have to stay away from all things that have got even trace caffeine elements in them. Then what you need to do is sleep at the exact same time every night and then schedule your wakeup time in the multiples of 90 minutes (that's how long an average sleep cycle lasts). So if you're sleeping at 11 PM, set the alarm to either 3:30 AM, or 5 AM, and so on. Get rid of the snooze button and wake up right when the alarm goes off. If later in the day you feel sleepy, you can take several 20-minute naps. There must be a gap of at least an hour between every nap. This process will be hard at first, but after some days you'll notice that your wind-down time is decreasing and you're falling asleep faster. Also, you'll be feeling more energetic throughout the day. The way this technique works is that it teaches your brain to understand that it only has limited time for sleep and if it wastes that in thinking about stupid stuff, its functioning and health would be affected.

2.) A tea concoction: This was recommended by Tim Ferriss. His good friend Seth Roberts introduced it to him, and now Tim uses this every night as a part of his evening ritual. In it, you first make yourself some decaffeinated tea and then add 1-2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar, and some raw honey to it. The science behind it is still unclear but it has been increasingly reported to be much more effective than even sleep medications (and a lot more healthy, of course).

23. melnun

melnun Member

Well if you really are suffering from insomnia, first we need to find the cause behind your problem, as insomnia is more often a symptom of some underlying psychiatric condition. So consult your physician or psychiatrist.

Nevertheless , there are many things you can do to improve your sleep hygiene and your overall well-being.

Here are some tips:

1. Try to go to bed at same time during night and wake up same time in the morning i.e maintain regular sleep routine.
    2. Use your bed only for the purpose of sleep, not for other activities like watching a television. Avoid placing a television in your bedroom.
    3. Try to avoid using electronic devices like your smartphone, at night before your bed time.
    4. Limit consumption of CNS stimulants like coffee or energy drinks.
    5. Avoid daytime naps.
    6. Exercise regularly, as regular exercise promotes good sleep but at the same time avoid vigorous exercise just prior to bed time.
    One technique that you can employ is to go to your bedroom to sleep only when you have intense desire to sleep I.e you feel extremely sleepy. But this technique is a long shot and not a quick fix. It is designed so as you associate your bedroom and bed with sleep.

24. Leezandra

Leezandra New Member

Insomnia is a part of my life mainly because I have fibromyalgia, as one of the symptoms are insomnia. Exercising helps for insomnia but if you have fibro it hurts. Mostly I found sticking to a routine helps with insomnia or if I can't cope anymore I take subscribed medication called trepiline. It is not a sleeping pill per say, but rather a relaxant and it doesn't leave you groggy the next morning. Mine are 10mg and I divide the pill into 4, and it works for me. I have found that even a little can relax you and put you into a deeper state of sleep.:thumbsup:

25. Yen Marbs

Yen Marbs New Member

Insomnia. This has been my companion for the last few weeks due to many reasons like coffee, stress and sometimes excitement. I wish to be away from this troublesome thing. It keeps me awake the whole night even though i really wanted to sleep and rest.
    i read some articles about insomnia and how to deal and beat it.
    i did most of the recommendations. but i guess i an just immune to it. but keeping my fingers crossed.
    right now i am doing some drastic changes in my lifestyle and diet.
    I now go out for a walk very evening, eat light and less on fatty and oily food. I drink milk before going to bed. i consume less coffee everyday. I drink less water during bedtime. i turn off my laptop and lessen my usage of my phone during night time.
    I guess, with these actions, i will be able to combat this monster that has been hovering my night.

26. Jayromy

Jayromy New Member

I can't consider myself as insomiac or whatever a person has that, maybe because I tend to stay up or force to stay up when I got o much on my mind. Sometimes I think my anxiety kept me awake all night and I just wait till my physical body gets too exhausted.

27. Jean0731

Jean0731 New Member

This topic is very relevant to me as I have had trouble sleeping since my Teenage years. It became worst when I had to work for night shift for a year and changed job thereafter. It is really hard to reset your body clock if you're already used to sleeping during the day and awake during the night. I have read that Insomnia is cause by Stress, bad sleeping habits or might also be associated with other conditions. Might be partly true for me as I tend to overthink sometimes. Some of the things that may help to conquer INSOMNIA would be:

1. Establish a proper sleep pattern.
    2. Avoid drinking coffee of caffeinated drinks at night as they are known stimulants.
    3. Limit naps to less than 30 minutes during the day.
    4. Practice a relaxing bed time ritual like Listening to music, a warm bath or dimming lights prior to scheduled bed time.
    5. Exercise
    6. Check for medications that you're taking as some medication side effects is Insomnia.

28. Reine11

Reine11 New Member

Insomia is a sleeping disorder wherein it won't allow you to fall asleep. I am experiencing it everytime that I'm so stressed out. It won't let me sleep even though I'm so tired. Then the next morning I will be waking up so early and even I sleep I still feel very exhausted. Sometimes insomia gives me headache the whole day. My insomia also causes me to have a low blood pressure which makes me dizzy.

29. I have an insominia before because of my continuous problems that I encountered. There I had not eating three times a day, once a day is enough for me then I am just in my room the whole day. Crying always, thinking about my problems, I cant sleep and thinking about the possible future happenings. I hate communicating people before. I am always not in the mood.

30. JustJordan27

JustJordan27 New Member

Insomnia is a real thing let me tell you. I have had countless sleepless nights due to anxiety and depression and just my mind simply running away from me on its own path. It can be very frustrating yes, but just be calm seriously, allow yourself to relax and think about the brighter side of life and what it has to offer.