Insomnia

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skyblue, Jun 6, 2016.

1. McCasey

McCasey New Member

Insomnia is nothing new and millions have difficulty sleeping well. The worse part is that many insomniacs suffer in ignorance. They just accept sleeping badly as part of life and just spend their waking hours feeling irritated and drowsy. So, for the appropriate treatment to be given, consult your doctor first. Some common tips for having a good night's sleep are regular exercise and watching your diet. But make sure you don't workout close to bedtime, otherwise it will interfere with sleep. Also important is the environment in which we sleep. A comfortable temperature, a dark and noise-free room and a cozy mattress and pillows are definitely an invitation to a very relaxing sleep. Have a good night!

2. abegailtangara

abegailtangara New Member

Preventing yourself from using your phone before going to bed can help you a lot to get a better sleep. Using a smartphone or any gadgets can disrupt your sleep rhythm by decreasing your melatonin, which is a hormone that helps you to fall asleep at night.

3. mabelirl

mabelirl New Member

It used to take me hours to get to sleep. I'd get into bed, close my eyes, but in a matter of minutes, or one minute, or half a minute, I'd be tossing and turning, eyes wide open, alert to the smallest sound, nerves exposed to every stressful thought my mind could generate. It was like this for years. It kind of ruined my life. I'd wake up early, go to work, still be half asleep because I'd only gotten a few hours of completely unrestful sleep. I felt bad all day long, and that caused more stress, and stress led to more insomnia, worse insomnia, in a neverending cycle of crummy days. Bad quality of life, for me and my partner. Then I found my solution, not everyone's solution, but mine. It was, drumroll please, exercise. I know, you've heard it before. But it works, or at least it worked for me.

It was hard at first, because I hadn't exercised in a long time, in part because I felt so terrible all the time due to insomnia that it seemed beyond my physical capacity. Which it just about was at the beginning. Then it got better, and then it got even better, and then it got so it was a part of my life I couldn't do without. I haven't had insomnia since then, well, not like before at any rate, and only temporarily. Give it a shot, even if you don't think of yourself as an exerciser, you might be surprised!

4. gabofmc

gabofmc New Member

Irregular pattern of sleep could be seed of insomia. Our brain learns a certain clock time to sleep and time to be awake. Many are loosing this pattern due to work or lifestyle. Then when are brain is busy thinking it's definitely would not send signal of winding down. So the discipline to follow your body clock is necessary for a halthy sleeping and to avoid sleep disorders. It is also a discipline to quiet down our minds. People nowadays are overly stimulated by many factors so to teach and train our brains into the discipline of stop thinking will be a healthy start. No wonder meditations are highly recommended by many health guru, doctors, and even faith.

5. yeshafran

yeshafran New Member

Insomnia or lack of sleep have many factors or causes.One of the most major factor is daily lifestyle. If you have busy and not normal schedule,or perhaps if you sleep always late at night,the system of your body eventually will get used to it,that's why if you sleep early or on time,you will hard time to get a good sleep.So better to organize all your activities properly from the start of your day until the end of it.in this way you will not experience insomnia,or it will lessen the insomnia that you often experienced.

6. AndreiEduard

AndreiEduard New Member

I am student, and when the period of exams comes, I have problem with sleep.

7. vinzero6

vinzero6 Member

Sleep problems can be caused by various factors. Although causes may differ, the end result of all sleep disorders is that the body's natural cycle of slumber and daytime wakefulness is disrupted or exaggerated.
    Factors that can cause sleep problems iclude:
    Physical disturbances (for example, pain from ulcers)
    Medical issues (for example, asthma)
    Psychiatric disorders (for example, depression and anxiety disorders)
    Environmental issues (for example, alcohol use)
    Short-term or acute insomnia can be caused by life stresses (such as job loss or change, death of a loved one, or moving), illness, or environmental factors, such as light, noise, or extreme temperatures.
    Long-term or chronic insomnia (insomnia that occurs at least three nights a week for a month or longer) can be caused by factors such as depression, chronic stress, and pain or discomfort at night.

8. orozcojessamae

orozcojessamae New Member

Insomnia means you can’t sleep, right? Yes, but that doesn’t mean identifying and diagnosing the problem is always that straightforward. Some people have become so accustomed to not getting the sleep they need that they’re simply unaware they have chronic insomnia. In other cases, minor sleep problems slowly get progressively worse, and individuals don’t realize they should talk to their doctor about it.

9. loriemay27

loriemay27 New Member

Insomnia is maybe just a symptom of another problem in our body that we have to take action. Always bare in mind that healthy lifestyle is a must to every human being because life is precious and it could never be replaced or returned when lost. Probably the root cause for this disorder is the wrong lifestyle that we have. In my case, most of the time that I found myself hard to sleep is when such time that I overlap my body clock. Since, not all of the time that I could sleep when my body clock tells me so for a certain reasons, so after that I would expect myself to be awake all night and only falls asleep when the dawn comes. Then sadly, I still wake up early in the morning and I only got 2-3 hours of sleep. Sometimes, when my sleep was disturbed in the middle of the night I probably could not sleep immediately again. Now, what I did is I let myself sleep every time I feel sleepy even as early as eight or seven.

10. Azraelvetis

Azraelvetis New Member

Insomnia is very common, so much that it has been fairly disregarded by few until it becomes too uncomfortable and damages their quality of life. The truth is, while some might have primary insomnia which is a stand alone condition, there are a lot of other people who have difficulty sleeping without realizing that they have underlying issues that are usually a lot more serious. If you've had trouble with sleeping for a decent amount of time, I would highly recommend seeking the assistance of a health professional in order to check if it is a symptom of an underlying condition.

11. Millen

Millen New Member

It's hard having an insomnia. That feeling when you wanted to sleep and have a good rest because you had a long day but then as soon as you tried to close your eyes, tons of scenarios started to play unconsciously inside your head. They're unstoppable because the more you try to stop it from playing inside your mind, the more it goes back and makes you restless. Or when you wanted to have a good night's rest but as soon as you close your eyes, sleep does not easily comes to you. Glancing beside you, a glaring red light that says 3:25 AM makes you realize that you're already doomed. As time passes by, you're already used in having an ounce of sleep only. It's kind of frustrating, really. But later, instead of getting used to this insomnia, I started to write my thoughts that kept on bothering me in a sheet of paper and crumpled it as soon as I finished writing then throw it inside the trashcan. It is like a way of making myself better and forget the negative things that kept on bugging inside my brain every single night. It is an alternative way of getting rid of the stress that was already piled inside my heart. Ever since that happened, I considered writing as my form of healing. It makes me put at ease every time I write everything. After everything that had happened, I don't get to have those sleepless nights anymore.

12. try to focus yourself just like, thinking that you will eventually sleep. put you alarm clock away from you so that you will not feel pressured to see that its already but you are not yet sleeping. I'm having insomnia these past few days but these tricks helps me alot. drink some warm milk and eat banana before going to sleep too. hope it works for you guys. God bless.

13. GGK

GGK New Member

Wow, I had no idea this is so rare.
    I used to be so tired all the time, but when I got the chance to take a break I could not keep the thoughts away.
    Being restless all the of time can really seriously affect our lifes.

14. Kylexnigeel

Kylexnigeel New Member

Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is distinguished by difficulty falling asleep. Having insomnia is really difficult and uncomfortable. I already had insomnia when I was a teenager. And let me tell you, it was really difficult. I had to go to school without any sleep. I didn't understand anything in my class because I fell asleep during the discussions. It was really frustrating. When my insomnia was getting worse, I did my researches about this disorder. Based on my researches, insomnia is caused by anxiety, stress, and depression. They are some of the most common causes of insomnia.

15. Kylexnigeel

Kylexnigeel New Member

It's really hard to deal with insomnia. However, there are many steps you can take to change behaviors and lifestyle to help you get to sleep. Here are some tips for beating insomnia. The first one is to limit activities in bed. The bed is only for sleeping and that's it. If you suffer from insomnia, do not balance the checkbook, study, or make phone calls, for example, while in bed or even in the bedroom, and avoid watching television or listening to the radio. All these activities can increase alertness and make it difficult to fall asleep. Another way to beat insomnia is to reduce stress. There are a number of relaxation therapies and stress reduction methods you may want to try to relax the mind and the body before going to bed. Examples include progressive muscle relaxation (perhaps with audio tapes), deep breathing techniques, imagery, and meditation. Last but not the least method is to make your sleeping environment comfortable. Temperature, lighting, and noise should be controlled to make the bedroom conducive to falling (and staying) asleep. Your bed should feel comfortable and if you have a pet that sleeps in the room with you, consider having the pet sleep somewhere else if it tends to make noise in the night. Based on my experience the best temperature to sleep in is between 60 to 67 Fahrenheit. Avoid seeing blue light such as your phone because it boosts attention. The best color of night lights is red or orange. I hope these solutions will help you beat insomnia.

16. gelouborlasa

gelouborlasa New Member

Insomnia is not just about having difficulty in sleeping because it is more complex than that. It also pertains to difficulty in staying asleep, as well as difficulty in returning back to sleep, as described by the experts. Insomnia can be classified according to its duration. It can be an acute insomnia, described to be brief and passing disruption of sleep due to several life circumstances, or a chronic insomnia. Chronic insomnia is characterized by recurring sleep disruption for at least three nights per week and lasts for at least three months.

Since sleep is being disrupted, dissatisfaction and several complications might arise such as:
    • excessive drowsiness
    • lack of energy
    • anxiety
    • irritability
    • difficulty with doing tasks, learning and remembering
    Although it sounds like a handful, insomnia can be treated. There are treatment options for insomnia ranging from behavioral therapy to taking prescribed medications, or it can be the combination of the two. What's important is to consult it with healthcare professionals first to know which will work the best for you.

17. bach26

bach26 New Member

According to guidelines from a physician group, insomnia is difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, even when a person has the chance to do so. ... Chronic insomnia is disrupted sleep that occurs at least three nights per week and lasts at least three months. ... People with insomnia

18. gwenmariecar

gwenmariecar New Member

I usually have sleeping problems and I like to solve it in a healthy way. The most common causes of insomnia are stress anxiety and depression. Adding adaptogens like Ashwagandha is good for helping your body adapt to stress. It balances your cortisol level. It also provides all sorts of benefits for your body and brain. It is an incredible healthy medicinal herb.

19. apolinske28

apolinske28 New Member

I have had insomnia for years. The best solution I have found is to turn off all electronics at least two hours before going to bed. The stimulation from television and cell phones to the nervous system can really ruin a person's ability to fall asleep. Also, don't underestimate the power of caffeine to ruin your sleep even hours after your last cup of coffee or energy drink. Caffeine has a half-life of five to six hours. What this means for the already exhausted insomniac is that five to six hours after your last caffeine intake, half of the caffeine is still in your system. Think twice before having soda after work. By the time you hit the rack, you will still be wired to some degree.

20. mvillere

mvillere New Member

Insomnia is a common problem, especially among younger individuals or people who stare at screens all day. Being exposed to bright lights directly before bed can make it incredibly difficult to fall asleep. If people could refrain from using their phones for one hour leading up to bedtime, I believe it would greatly reduce the number of people who struggle with insomnia.

21. bnjgzmn

bnjgzmn Member

Exercising at day time and reading a book before you sleep helps your body to become ready for sleeping. Exercise makes you tired by the evening but of course it gives you energy at day time, it sounds counter-intuitive but it really does give you energy at day time and of course reading books make your mind relax. If you practice religion, it would also help that you pray at night since it is meditation by itself which makes you relax. HAPPY SLEEPING ;)

22. Sonya L Walls

Sonya L Walls Member

I can't drink a lot of water and expect to go to sleep. I usually take a small dose of Melatonin to relax me. In some instances, I don't use it because of trying to rest naturally. I think that people have to try to unwind from all of what they deal with during the day. It's great to get rest, but you have to nourish your body in order to sleep. Sometimes, people suffer from insomnia because of not having enough magnesium in their diet. That simply means they will eat chocolate and candy, but their bodies will use that for fuel during the times that they don't eat.

I would suggest thinking about what you are thankful for in your life. If you are behind on bills, you can think of ways that are helping you get out of debt. People tend to dwell on problems instead of being thankful that they can get assistance when they need it. Additionally, if a person doesn't ask questions about a situation that is going on in their personal life, such as credit card issues, child and parenting issues, or job issues, they will not be able to get the situation off of their mind unless they're determined to change their current state. There has to be a solution out there for you. Once you recognize the issue, you can get the help that you need. Pride can also stop a person from sleeping. It's up to you to be able to say, "you know what? I need help with this!" By you consistently reaching out, you will find out that there will be less stress in your life. Once you see the difference, you will conquer your issues with insomnia. I have often been told that balancing chakras can help you along with what I have already mentioned. By experiencing insomnia, you have to start choosing the right decisions when it comes to your health. Maybe, your environment is too loud. I would start paying attention to my stimuli to see if there are any influences in that area. If there is none, you should look to gaining the best nutrition that you can.

23. catherineacorda

catherineacorda New Member

Sleeplessness
    Insomnia, also known as sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder where people have trouble sleeping. They may have difficulty falling asleep, or staying asleep as long as desired. Insomnia is typically followed by daytime sleepiness, low energy, irritability, and a depressed mood. Insomnia can be caused by physical and psychological factors. There is sometimes an underlying medical condition that causes chronic insomnia, while transient insomnia may be due to a recent event or occurrence.

24. vebselpo

vebselpo Member

Before bedtime drink warm milk. Just like kids they get more sleepy every after drinking milk before bedtime. Second, make your bedroom cozy. Turn your light into dim light better if you can sleep in dark room so you can relax your eyes and mind. Third, read books it will make you really sleepy.

25. pancitcanton

pancitcanton New Member

I had insomnia 3 years ago while I was in College. I failed so many classes because I barely made half of the required attendance. All my professors which are medical professionals, by the way, got all judgemental on me. They had negative assumptions about me. They thought I was partying all night, doing drugs and etc. I badly needed professional help from them but they just brushed me off.

I was going nowhere with school so I stopped and went to get a proper check up. The doctor said I had depression. That was the reason I was insomniac. He prescribed me melatonin and ASMR (I didn't even know what it was that time) and now I am feeling better than before. I didn't go back to school though, I still had to finish my depression session and wait for the doctor's signal.

26. HanniBanni

HanniBanni New Member

Insomnia is a medical condition, a sleep disorder that causes people to sleep poorly or very little. But not all sleep problems are insomnia related. In fact, most of them are caused by nothing but your emotions. For instance:
    Stress
    Yes, stress is the most likely cause of your difficulty sleeping during the early part of the night. Your mind is still busy thinking about all the things you need to take care of, and this keeps you awake.

What to do?

To help the mind get rid of that disgusting feeling of stress, you should not stimulate the mind for at least one hour before going to bed. The most common stimulus at night these days are screens: computers, cell phones, tablets, etc. You can also try to relax through meditation, yoga or other relaxation techniques.

Disappointment

If waking up early in the night is caused by worrying about the future, then waking up between 11pm and 1am is most often caused by worrying about what happened in the past - things that have already happened and haven't quite gone the way you wanted them to. Your disappointment keeps you awake!

What can you do?
    If you are disappointed in yourself and your decisions try to accept that you are simply human. All human beings sometimes make mistakes. If you are disappointed in someone else then hiding them in your thoughts will not get you anywhere as it will not change what they did and disappointed you. But you can still change your view.

Fury
    One of the strongest emotions, the anger, is that it likely prevents you from sleeping peacefully during this part of the night. You are merely re-presenting the things that have made you angry in your mind over and over again.

What can you do?
    Anger is a really strong emotion, so it's sometimes difficult to control. But you should know that anger solves nothing. Reacting to the things that make you angry resolves things, but the mid-night period is simply not the right time to act. Release it, wait until morning and then work on your rage.

Sadness
    Unfortunately, the emotion that keeps you awake during this time of night is probably the most difficult emotion to deal with - sadness. Sometimes bad things happen and you really can't do anything to prevent you from feeling sad. But you can do something to prevent sadness from keeping you awake ...

What can you do? To preoccupy the mind with something else may dispel the sadness briefly, giving you the opportunity to have a little restful sleep. Sometimes something as simple as a glass of warm milk is enough to comfort you and make your thoughts a little easier.