Is it really necessary to take medications?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by CindyB, Dec 18, 2017.

1. CindyB

CindyB New Member

Many people take medicine prescribed by a Physician on a daily basis. Eight out of ten of those people who are taking medication prescribed by a physician, take more than one medication.
    Are medications really necessary? Considering all of the possible side effects, and the fact that many of these drugs have the potential to cause more health issues, that require more medications to counteract it one would think a better solution is needed.
    I personally think that natural remedies is the best way to go!
    For example, instead of taking a high blood pressure pill, eat garlic on a daily basis, exercise, have a low sodium lifestyle, drink apple cider vinegar, and best of all, add cayenne pepper to your diet. Cayenne pepper is what physicians used for controlling blood pressure before medications were ever invented!

2. CindyB

CindyB New Member

Hmmm, tried to make paragraphs out of those, but as the old saying goes

"Practice makes perfect."

3. josborne1981

josborne1981 New Member

As a Physician Assistant, I get asked this question many times a day. I agree with you in that yes, medications do have side effects. A lot of them are annoying, some are unpleasant.

But the counter argument to this principle is that medical conditions have side effects too. To use your example of high blood pressure, leaving your blood pressure too high too long causes it to slowly destroy your kidneys as well as your eyesight. It ruins your peripheral blood vessels, leaving you prone to leg swelling or varicose veins.

Given the choice of one vs. the other, I'd strongly recommend the blood pressure medication. One thing I always tell patients is that if they do work on losing weight, and they do lose it, I'm more than happy to try to take the medicine away, and many times I do.

4. Stephanie Anne

Stephanie Anne New Member

As a pharmacy student, I get to hear these things frequently. Some may dislike using medicines because they prefer the natural way or even homeopathy. Yes, medicines have their different side effects and may even have some dangerous drug interactions. But, in the world of pharmacy, we treat drugs as a double sided sword. It may either help you or harm you. Looking at the beneficial side of medicines, these are essential to maintain, cure or prevent some certain diseases. As long as you get a proper consultation or check up with your physician and patient counseling from your pharmacists, these harmful side effects can be prevented or managed. Natural remedies is good also as an alternative or adjuvant to your medication but not always as a sole therapy to your disease. Medicines prescribed by your doctor has a certain mechanism specially designed to fight or eradicate the pathogen causing the disease.

So if you'd ask me if it is necessary to take medicines, well I would say YES definitely.

5. If you're sick or got ill, it is better to take medications to avoid further complications. Health is precious so lets take a good care of it. If you're not sick or ill, it is still best to take vitamins to boost immunity to prevent getting disease than can damage are health. Prevention is better than cure they say.

6. kennedyharris9000

kennedyharris9000 New Member

I don't think it is necessary to take medication. Most disease or sickness is caused by mucus and inflammation. To get rid of that you must obtain a healthy diet. By doing this you can eliminate more than half of diseases and sickness. Things like diabetes, cancer, gastro reflux, obesity, and so many other health problems can be alleviated with a proper diet. In some situations I do think medication is necessary. People that have am organ transplants may need to be on medication so their body does reject the organ. People that have sever mental illness may need to be on medication to help the chemical imbalance they may have in their body.

7. Joemax31

Joemax31 New Member

From what i learned in medical school, medicines can either do you harm or good. However, more researches have proven the benefits of these medications to alleviate and relieve symptoms of disease entities than do herbal medicines have.Many people may think that herbal medicines are better alternatives to these medications however, there are still a lot to prove regarding these alternatives.

8. Meann

Meann New Member

I think it depends on what kind of sickness you have.
    If it is a simple migraine, then I think you don't need a medication just take a plenty of rest.

9. kreyyoung

kreyyoung New Member

Medications should be taken regularly to make sure that you have an effective amount of drug in your body at all times. When medications are not taken regularly, the level of drug in the blood can become too low to effectively stop the virus from multiplying. This gives the virus a chance to mutate and become resistant to the effects of the drug.

10. samchellsen

samchellsen New Member

Nowadays, people who have access to medicines, especially antibiotics tends to abuse the availability of medicines. For example, if they have a fever and sore throat they will immediately take antibiotics and then after a few days, they will stop taking antibiotics due to improved condition without knowing the possibility of antibiotic resistance. Taking medications as prescribed by a licensed physician is necessary for us to recover from illness. It is necessary, if at any chance we are sick, consulted to a physician and prescribed a medication.

11. Floris564

Floris564 New Member

I think for some cases you need medicines, but food is the best way to get your vitamins and minerals inside your body. If you eat healthy, so enough vegetables, fruit, fish, diary etc. You won't need medicines for vitamins or minerals. Other cases you can't treat with food or sport, you will have to take medicines.

12. pseudolly

pseudolly New Member

It probably depends on the severity of the illness, some people would rush to ED only because of a common flu which I find unnecessary. I haven’t touched cold medicines in years, I just drink plenty of water when I get sick to “flush out” the toxins. I don’t take any vitamins as well. I just think our body can very well handle these toxins on their own so long as we facilitate it - eat healthy, and minimise (not avoid) junk!

13. Deeyhan

Deeyhan New Member

Yes. It is a must to take medication when you had a struggling on your sickness or any health problems you suffer of. Although medication don't purely take off what you feel pain but then it surely ease and lessen the pain.

14. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

If you feel that it will help you both physically or mentally then go for it.