Is it true that music can change our mood?

Discussion in 'Music' started by kaye, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Base with my personal experience. I agree that music can change a particular mood. For example, whenever I fell sad. I would listen to a funky or pop music and my mood starts to go back to normal then a happy mood as I observe it. I also notice my colleague doing this when she is finishing a presentation. She would play classic music while doing doing her work at the same time. One time I asked her why she likes listening to classic music every time she do her works. Then she replied "It relaxes my mind and it's giving me more focus to do my work". These examples simply testifies that music have powerful sound elements to change a person's mood.

2. Chiniii

Chiniii New Member

Yes, it is. It could change our mood. Music is created by a song writer who writes a song. But before he or she write a song, s/he needs to have an inspiration and motivations. This is where s/he can get the idea on how to create the music. So when it was created, it was full of effort, story and heart. And before it becomes a music, it needs a tone.

If music doesn't have a tone, it is not a music it is poem. Music needs a tone. Tone gives life to the lyrics that the songwriter written. The tone must be very heartfelt and can give so much soul for the music. The beat should be in the right timing, the notes re reached and perfectly fit for he lyrics.

But the music needs to be deliver to the audience which is us and the singer will sing the song. The singer must be a very good singer to catch our interest and feel the love of the music which can change our mood depending on the music, the tone and genres.

3. MarinoSantos

MarinoSantos New Member

As a person who suffers from anxiety, I believe thank some kinds of music have the ability to make me a little calmer and really help me out when I'm stressed or having a panic attack. Contrarily, there are songs that actually make me anxious and really distress me. So yes, music has the power to change the way we feel.

4. Elle Gee

Elle Gee Member

I truly believe in the power of music on how it changes the mood of emotions on each of us individuals. As you hear the beat of the music, you will feel it and get through with it. Some might you sing it as well and then you'll become happy. Whe you listen to the dance beats, you will dance too. Its like you can feel the rhythm of the drums and you get along its beat so I do believe music is a mood changer.

5. lisa.beth

lisa.beth New Member

Аbsоlutеlу. Мusіс іs knоwn tо аltеr оur mооds аnd саn еvеn stор а nеgаtіvе thоught іn іts trасks. Yоu dоn't nесеssаrіlу hаvе tо lіstеn tо sоft, саlm, аnd slоw musіс, but thаt tуре оf musіс shоuld hеlр уоu саlm dоwn. Fоr оthеrs, uрbеаt аnd hарру sоngs mау hеlр thеm thrоugh rесоvеrу.

І реrsоnаllу lоvе lіstеnіng tо аll kіnds оf musіс, but І trу tо аvоіd mу dаrkеr musіс іf І аm аlrеаdу іn а lоw mооd. Іt сеrtаіnlу sееms tо оnlу mаkе mе mоrе аngrу оr uрsеt. І аlsо trу tо аvоіd sаd musіс іf і аm fееlіng lоnеlу оr sаd. Іt wіll rеаllу hеіghtеn thоsе fееlіngs.

6. redzsfuentes

redzsfuentes New Member

In my case 'tis a massive YES! Music has a mood too and its mood influenced us. I had experienced that, always. When I'm sad I listen to happy music and internalize its message and it makes me feel better.

7. mariongrace

mariongrace New Member

It's been scientifically proven that listening to various types of music stimulates hormone production in the brain, leading to changes in emotional state and often a decrease in feelings related to anxiety and depression. If you're interested, I'd recommend reading some academic articles on scientific studies on music and psychology.

8. Lovorko

Lovorko New Member

I trully agree with the statement that music changes our mood. When im sad i ought to listen xxxtentacion and such music and when im on a court playing basketball with my friends we listen to some old school rap so we get hyped. Music also describes us in a weird but truthfull way.

9. antares67

antares67 New Member

yes
    yes in my opinion the music can influence our mood.....For example when I'm stressed I'm always used to wear my headphones to listen to my favourite music and after a while I feel my mood changing

10. Davicha

Davicha New Member

Yes, that's true, music is mankind's best invention, it really can affect our lives and mood as well. I think it perfectly shapes our emotional condition.

11. amiah2jade

amiah2jade New Member

Absolutely music can change our mood. I dare you to sit there right now and turn on classical music. Most likely you will feel calm and a bit sedated. Then switch it over to a little bit of Def Leppard's 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' and in an instant, your mood will change. You will be bopping and moving to the beat. Upbeat music will get the blood pumping!

12. rolf

rolf New Member

.yes, music stimulates emotions through specific brain circuits. We can easily see how music and the brain engage mood and emotion when a child smiles and begins to dance to a rhythm. He is experiencing an uplifted mood of joy in the music. We also see this when parent and child connect through song. Have you ever listened to a mother singing a lullaby to her newborn baby? It is probably one of the most significant bonding experiences between people you will ever witness. Music and mood have a special connection. They tend to be hand in hand when people reminisce about old times. Some songs have an effect on helping people feel better after something sad, tragic or hurtful has happened. Music with lyrics is just as helpful as music with no lyrics. Yet, music with lyrics has a way of connecting to people’s feelings, emotions, and experiences. There are songs that act as stories or a soundtrack to a person’s life. They help people remember certain things, even when they want to forget them

13. jonniel123

jonniel123 Member

Yes, It's true because lot's of music right now and different emotions given their. Some song for the heartbroken, Love in sports, Joyfull, and many more. It's depend of you what kind of the song that you want to listen.

14. loriemay27

loriemay27 New Member

Yes it is, definitely true that music can change our mood. Based on my experience, every time I listen to music it commands my heart and mind to mend each other and in time I suddenly feel like putting myself on the situation what the music is really meant to even I’m not exactly on to it. How much more to the music that I could relate myself? The best thing is whatever negative feelings that I have inside, music will make me feel relief and calm and it could even make me smile.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  15. loriemay27

loriemay27 New Member

Yes it is, definitely true that music can change our mood. Based on my experience, every time I listen to music it commands my heart and mind to mend each other and in time I suddenly feel like putting myself on the situation what the music is really meant to even I’m not exactly on to it. How much more to the music that I could relate myself? The best thing is whatever negative feelings that I have inside, music will make me feel relief and calm and it could even make me smile.

16. Jcamp01

Jcamp01 New Member

I believe listening to music can help improve your mood if you let it..... For example if I listen to some sad opera music playing soccer it's not gonna make me feel sad just less motivated cuz of the tune music kinda appplies to what you're doing. if i'm chilling listening to a playlist and that one song comes on i'm gonna be very hype because of it. So the Answer is Yes

17. Silber13

Silber13 New Member

I think that music can bring your mood to good level. When i listen to music it brings me to another place. i like to have fun while lisrening, music gets me pumped up.

18. Marcporms

Marcporms New Member

Yes definitely, there is impact in terms of music changes our mood, like for example you want to fall asleep or just to relax yourself, just listen to some relaxing music you are comportable with.

If you Want to feel happy and wanted to scape your loneliness even for a while, just play your favorite songs to hear that remind you for something happy memories.

19. Millen

Millen New Member

I personally believe that music can change our mood. Music is very powerful that up to the point it can change your mood in just a span of minutes. Having the worst start of your day because a coffee was spilled on your shirt or you woke up late for class and was awarded for detention may lead you to think that bad luck was always on your side. But if you started to plug in your earphones and let the steam cool off, you'll soon realize that it's really not a bad day after all. Mopping the school's floor while swaying to the rhythm of the music is not a bad detention at all or having a stained shirt won't stop you from having the best day of your life because you always have music on your side. Music can also do the complete opposite of what's stated above. When they are going home and happiness radiates them but then right on shuffle, a sad song plays on their playlist, their mood tends to change drastically. They became more emotional especially if the lyrics hit them right on the core. They poured out all of the emotions that's suffocating them by crying their hearts out but that's okay because at the end of the day, you'll always end up realizing something meaningful. Music makes you feel different kinds of emotions all at once and it's like riding a rollercoaster full of ups and downs. Music can really change our mood, even if it's just a simple harmony.

20. Surjeet Biswas

Surjeet Biswas New Member

Yes, music affects the mood automatically. I am a musician too I know how it's manipulating your mind automatically. it usually depends what type of music you are listening to.

21. GGK

GGK New Member

As to my personal experience, I have come to the conclusion that no matter how you feel if you play a certain song your mood can change in a second! Which I think is great because when you are feeling down or upset or anything just play something cheerful and you will notice the difference immediately! :)

22. shanekristina

shanekristina New Member

I believe that music can influence our mood. There is a so called music therapy. It is a music intervention that helps a person's physical, emotional and cognitive needs. There are also people who cannot express themselves well through words so they use music to do it. There are also benefits in listening to music or playing music, it is said that it may reduce a persons pain. And in my personal experience, I usually listen to music whenever I feel so down or troubled. It keeps me going, it helped me relax and calm my nerves.

23. jemjhemn

jemjhemn New Member

A big YES for me, music makes me relax when I'm feeling under the weather. I even listen to music when I can't sleep at night. I play music when I'm cleaning the house because I don't feel tired when the music is on :whistle:. music is a big part of my life because when ever I here a music playing I can feel the presence of my father who are now in heaven, he taught me how to sing, to tell jokes and how to be good to other people. Music is a big part of our culture, i should say, you can hear everybody singing even if there's no music playing, I think we can't deny that music makes everything better and you don't have to be professional to agree:):)

24. igsalvador98

igsalvador98 New Member

For me music is a great way to chnge your mood, I do believe in the ability of music to turn a bad mood to a positive one. Music can make you calm and lessen your stress and can help increase brain activity. Music had always helped to set the pace when I am studying helping me to concentrate more. I had suffered from insomnia for a long time leading to stress but music had changed me making me a better person and learn to appreciate life better.

25. Johnnydoe

Johnnydoe New Member

I would say that depends on how easily you are influenced by external elements as a person. Personally, I would say that the influence of music depends on my current state of mind or the tempo of the music as not all music has an apparent emotion attached to it. For instance, a song that you like that is very upbeat or hype can make you happy or energetic, but a disorienting and offbeat song (that you may still like) won't have an emotional impact. TL;DR it depends on the individual and the music.

26. rayangelo_laylo

rayangelo_laylo New Member

Truly i believe that music can change the mood. There are a lot of instances where we don't actually realize that music really changed our mood. For Example, at a party if the music playing is mellow, how would the people react? They would be probably slow dancing with someone. Since the beat and the flow of the music is very slow and soft. However, if the music played changed to Pop or Rock, then the people in that party would dance to the beat and be very active. They would not dance to it slow, they would bang their heads laugh out loud and groove to the beat. This is just one evidence that music can entirely change our mood.

27. chloe050617

chloe050617 New Member

Yes it's true, music can change our mood. Music is life as what most people say, without music life will be boring.

28. Music isn't just ready to influence your disposition. Tuning in to especially cheerful or miserable music can even change the way we see the world. We can also feel relaxed at the same time, enjoying and having fun. Music has really helped to cope up with different problems i have faced and facing right now. So don't hesistate to listen to every music that you like. I really assure you that it really work when it comes to making you mood lighten.

29. Yanguria

Yanguria New Member

I think it is not the music per se, but rather how we perceive it.
    I think we all connect lyrics, arpeggios, chords etc. to a very precise concept, an abstraction that we make in our own little way; a bit like typing a thought in the corner of a framed picture.
    The way we connect with the music, I feel, is responsible to how we feel when we listen to it.
    We use music to recollect, reconnect and piece back together the memory of very precise feelings and associations.
    I used to have an alarm playing my favorite Yvette Young song in the morning and that ruined it for me because I associated it to having to wake up for university, lol.

30. Biggy

Biggy New Member

Yes it can. Very much especially when you are lonely or bored. Listening to hype makes you happy again.