Is it wise to write a book as if it might become a screenplay someday?

Discussion in 'Writing for Stage and Screen' started by WisTex, Mar 14, 2018.

1. WisTex

WisTex New Member

When I write my stories, which are intended to be turned into books, I often picture how they would look on TV or on the big screen, and I can't help but write the story as if it were going to be acted out. So I wind up paying particular attention to how things would appear to an audience.

Are there any pitfalls for writing the stories this way? Or would writing like this help for when and if it gets turned into a screenplay later?

2. RichardStarrkey

RichardStarrkey New Member

I did the exact same. Even studying screenplays along with the movies, recognizing the beats and pacing. Might've been an excuse to watch more television and movies, which is also a trap in itself that distracts you from writing. (Stephen King says to throw away your TV).

Then I was told that I would lose interest in my story quick because all I was doing was making up big action scenes that translates into spectacle on screen. You see what I mean? The characters get lost because who wants to hear exposition when you can see explosions. You get bored.

One way to fixes, using Stephen King's words again, is to pick someone to write for. Say, your wife. You know what she likes, so you write your story with her as the intended audience. This creates a personal reason for you to keep going with your story.

3. Mixki1

Mixki1 New Member

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I am going to say that of course it is worth it to write a book that may be turned into a screenplay! I mean, who doesn't like multiple streams of income? Plus you can aide in detracting or adding to any ideas from the book if you want to. It's like getting a 2for or second shot at a work you've created!

4. Brokewriter

Brokewriter New Member

Don't fall into the trap of thinking, oh if I write this book then it will be turned into a movie or a show. The number of books that get that is few and far in-between. You need to be really, really good. As well, this kind of things is best when it happens organically, as in, it's not planned out from the jump. You don't know where it will be in the next ten or even five years. So, don't try and force it. If you write a book and it becomes successful as a book then be happy with that. Look at J.R.R. Tolkien, did he think his work will be turned into a movie? No. J.K. Rowling, sure she got her books written, but it wasn't as if she wrote it to become a movie. Stick with what you can do and hold some hope for the other part.

5. Kweevin

Kweevin New Member

What you are talking about in the first place is "visualisation". This can indeed help you if you like to focus on more details, which when you describe them, makes the story more alive. But you should stay focused on the story how you would like it to turn out with out pleasing anyones expectations, if you like it to be authentic.
    If it even should end up to be filmed, then in most case you might be disappointed, if its not you directing it. Then other people have other ideas and perception as how to but things in action, aside from other hidden aspects, which have to please or even stimulate the masses, which you may have not included in your work.
    Try to make it as much real from your point of view, and if someone likes it, it will most likely anyway be changed to some degree.
    Good luck so far...

6. Johnnydoe

Johnnydoe New Member

I would probably say no. If a person is going to use your storyline for a cinematic film, they are undoubtedly going to change some things maybe even the crux of the story, so you don't have to plan for such uncertain matters as it may obstruct your writing and even the way you would generally express your ideas or introduce new aspects into the story. Of course, if you want the story to be adaptable to a film easily (whatever that entails), then, by all means, go at it, I just think it isn't optimal to go into writing worrying about such things. TL;DR Don't let such far-off things obstruct the way you would tell your story. I won't say it isn't probable I'll just say don't take it into account in the infancy of the book.