Is poetry dead, or changing to meet modern demands? Is change a good thing?

Discussion in 'Books' started by sznyd118, Jan 13, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

?

Does "Instagram poetry" have a positive or negative influence on the poetry scene?

1. Positive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Negative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sznyd118

sznyd118 New Member

I am a published poet and a part of my local literary community. In my MFA program, the joke was that poetry is dead and only poets read poetry these days. However, I would argue that poetry is making a comeback, but not in a traditional sense. With the rise of Instagram poetry and writers like Rupi Kaur who have broken the form down to be more accessible to younger readers, I have noticed a surge in attendance at local poetry events. Younger writers, in large part, are responsible for this surge. Poetry is not limited to the archaic (albeit beautiful) fixed form of the 19th century anymore. Is this a good thing, or do you think we're watering down a challenging art form?

2. Keyway

Keyway Member

Well, I will say this on the subject. Most art and artistic flow changes constantly through each era. Poetry will never die, in fact, it's what you call "incubation" or "transition". Poetry is so dynamic, if it's not free to do what is does, then you got a problem. Freedom is the journey of poetry, words are nothing but it's paintbrush,