Is reading book the best way to learn english?

Discussion in 'Books' started by kevquadra5, May 20, 2019.

1. kevquadra5

kevquadra5 New Member

For other people, it could be, because you will know how words are arranged and the proper grammars that are used in a sentence but for others watching movies, anime and even television are the best way to learn English.

In my personal opinion, watching basketball and anime was the best way that I learned English because when I recall my favorites scenes/moments in basketball/anime, I try to analyze how the words are arranged and proper grammars are used verbally.

2. ohevit

ohevit Member

Reading books is not the only way to learn. Experiential learning or learning by doing is the best. And learning is not confined within the four walls of the classroom or your reading room. But when it comes to knowing about words, then reading can give you lots of ideas about a language and how the syntax or correct grammar is achieved. Logical or correct organization of ideas can also be obtained through reading. But reading is just one of the ways to learn things.

3. git531

git531 Member

Yes, Reading books is the best way to learn English. Your vocabulary will expand, you'll know how words are used in a sentence i.e grammar and develop your understanding of the language. Its better if you read out loud. You could also learn by watching English movies with subtitles on, listening to English songs and talking to people in English.

4. emax2000

emax2000 Member

Totally agree, reading is the best way to learn English.

5. cesstravels09

cesstravels09 New Member

That can contribute to learning English especially with vocabularies and grammar, however you have to learn the technicalities, the correct form and usage.

1 person likes this.
  6. jilibido

jilibido Member

Personally, watching tv and applying what you've picked up from watching American tv shows, or what we call in the call center training business as "exposure", and a little bit of reading ( dictionaries, thesaurus and the local newspaper..as long as it's written in English!) can definitely do the trick! I'm not saying that I'm an absolute top-notch with the English language but I can consider myself to be very mindful of my sentence formation, and that I compose it in an A1 grammatically correct manner. Practical application of what you discovered by talking to people speaking with them in English might, in some ways, appear absurd here in the Philippines but hey, as long as your not causing any trouble, that's just ok! After all, Practice pays off when you finally get it perfect.

1 person likes this.
  7. Taqitahmidur

Taqitahmidur New Member

Well, I think watching movies with subtitles and reading books are the easiest way to improve English skills. Sometimes, practicing might become a little bit boring. But by watching movies, you can kind of trick yourself into passively practicing your English skills. You can enrich your vocab, learn new phrases and use them practically.

8. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

Yes, Reading English is the best way to learn English.If You want to improve English,You should read English daily. Sometimes, practice of English reading Newspapers, Books,etc. It is very helpful to improve vocabulary and English skill. You can learn new vocabulary, phrases and proverb daily.

9. Sammij18

Sammij18 New Member

It can help a lot, but also talking is a wonderful way. My mother went to Laos and the tour company she went with said every evening at a local community center they asked English speaking natives to come and just talk with a local wanting to improve their skills. She went and talked with 3 different people one on one who wanted to improve conversation skills and just practice! Its a great way to ask questions abut words and phrases.

10. elliethegypsy

elliethegypsy Member

Sort of. When I read books, I always watch the authors' sentence construction. I get extra knowledge as well from the books that I read by encountering new words or vocabulary and look for its meaning on a dictionary. But most of the time, watching films and having a conversation with native English speakers is the effective way that I do in order for my speaking and writing English skills be developed.

11. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

Yes, Reading book is the best way to learn English. Your vocabulary will increase if You read English. We get extra knowledge to read English daily. It is very helpful to increase new words.We should see difficult words in the dictionary to improve English words.

12. chatcrazy

chatcrazy New Member

While reading books may not be the only way to learn English, it certainly goes a long way. One comes across different words while at it, that adds to his vocabulary. Conversing in English, reading newspapers, watching news programs in English, watching English films and picking up finer points of the language from grammar books also help in this regard.

13. Kiyen96

Kiyen96 Member

I think so, because reading is giving more knowledge about what you want to learn, more reading more understanding, It can help you to encounter unfamiliar word to be familiarized unto it. You can also try to practice all of it verbally. I also think watching English movies can improve you to learn English language, It improve your listening skill and your wordings.

14. angrymoony

angrymoony New Member

I do believe it's a mix of different things. English is my second language (I am a French native, first and foremost), and a few things have helped structure my hold on the language:
    1. Starting early: I started learning English when I was 4 (thank you, grandpa!)
    2. Watching films and tv shows in English with English subtitles: very, very helpful regarding pronunciation.
    3. Reading in English: I definitely learnt a lot by switching from reading the Harry Potter books in French to the original version. It also gave a means to understand translation better, in the sense that the choices made in by the French translator were interesting / easier to discuss with other people.
    4. Spending time abroad: I am very fortunate to have family in Canada where I would switch from English to French on a regular basis, but I also love traveling. London has been a good place for this, and I now live in a country where English is one of the main languages. It really helps on a regular basis!

15. DiegoRCardoso

DiegoRCardoso New Member

Totally agree, for me Reading books is one of the best ways to improve your English, because the idea behind this is that you incidentally pick up word meanings from context. Moreover, you are likely to get exposed to the same word multiple times, thus you reinforce that word and remember it much better.

16. carbs16

carbs16 Member

Yes,it is one of many ways to learn an English language. It develops the critical thinking and the imagination of the reader. One of the ways is watching an English movie, it helps to understand more the language because it has an action. The action and the dialouge might retain and easy to recall because the reader imagines the particular scene.

17. Wolfiend

Wolfiend Member

That's a good way to go too. But if you really want to become familiar with the subtle nuances of the English language that make you real fluent, go watch movies. Or better yet, TV sitcom series. They're the best educational materials for me.

18. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

Definitely, Reading English is the best way to learn English. But really, You want to learn English, You have to watch English movies also.You watch movies and pronouce it

19. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

It is certainly one way to learn English. The more you read, the more you familiarize yourself with the English language. You gradually develop your vocabulary by exposing yourself with more words through reading. Apart from developing your vocabulary, you also become more intelligent by reading more. Reading is a good hobby because of this.

20. jeda30

jeda30 Member

I've been struggling so much with my English grammar so I'm always finding ways on how to help me solve this problem. I used to read books and it helps. For me, reading a book is the best way to learn English but now that we can easily access to the internet, there are different things we can do to improve our English grammar. I just tried to be practical, instead of spending time going to the bookstore and choosing good books I just prefer to use my device and look for some good ebook title to read and watch movies.

21. Lilytr

Lilytr New Member

Reading and speaking a language are different, albeit connected, skills. If you really want to learn English, it is important to cultivate both. Reading a book in English will help you expand your vocabulary and observe more complex grammar, but by itself it's not the best way to learn English because it won't help you with pronunciation. Written English is also a little different from spoken English, so it's important speak with and listen to native speakers whenever possible (there are a few online resources for that, like Cambly).
    Like some other commenters have said, watching a television show in English with subtitles is probably the best way to learn fast, but reading a book is still helpful!

22. Jflower

Jflower New Member

In my opinion, reading books to learn English is not the best way to learn the language.
    Communication is important in order to get familiar with the pronunciations, or watching a video, a movie, the television, etc.
    It will become easier, if the student is involved in more than one method while learning English.

23. Teambits

Teambits New Member

Yes,according to me I find reading books to be the best way to learn English.Through reading of books we tend to increase our vocabulary and come up with new words in our daily conversations.This will highly improve when you speak in English and even pronounce the English words correctly.

24. Ayeth84

Ayeth84 New Member

Not exactly. There are some other materials you can use like audio cd and you also watch tuitorial videos.

25. rextrip

rextrip Member

Even if you speak English well, there is always more you can learn. A good novel will be simple and easy to understand, but it will also introduce you to new words. Reading books gives you the chance to learn vocabulary in the context of a story.

26. rextrip

rextrip Member

Even if you speak English well, there is always more you can learn. A good novel will be simple and easy to understand, but it will also introduce you to new words. Reading books gives you the chance to learn vocabulary in the context of a story.

27. rextrip

rextrip Member

Even if you speak English well, there is always more you can learn . A good. novel will be simple and easy to understand, but it will also introduce you to new words. Reading books gives you the chance to learn vocabulary in the context of a story.

28. BestChristine

BestChristine New Member

There are a lot of things that you can do to be able to learn something or anything. For me reading is not just the only way to learn to speak in english or any language that you want to learn. By watching some english movies or series you can easily learn it by hearing the sounds on how to pronounce it and also by seeing the action of the character while speaking. By watching you will get some insight on how or what is a meaning of some of their language. You can also read the subtitle of the movie so you can understand it much better and also to have knowledge about on how to spell it correctly.

29. StephWhis

StephWhis Member

For some people, yes. I'd honestly say you might have a better shot just listening to other people speak or watching a TV show if you can to pick it up though. Also, if you don't like books, to begin with, it might not be a great introduction to the language and you might not stick with it. So, I definitely think you should seek out alternate routes instead. However, if you still want to give that a shot, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you have a backup plan in mind so you can continue if a book or two doesn't really end up suiting your fancy.

30. elliethegypsy

elliethegypsy Member

For me, it's just one way of learning english better. Because aside from reading books, I also watch movies and TV series which allows my sentence constructions and pronunciation improve. But it will always depend on you whether you learn fast in reading instead of watching and vise versa.

1 person likes this.