Is skipping breakfast healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 420fermin, Mar 18, 2016.

1. noaha

noaha New Member

Speaking for myself:

It's probably been at least 15 years since I ate breakfast consistently. Skipping breakfast started out as a dislike for breakfast food (yea yea, grab your pitchforks), and as I moved into high school and college, it just never seemed that important. When I wake up in the mornings, I rarely ever find myself feeling hungry so I figured, why bother?

It never really had a tangible effect on me as far as I can tell. I don't have any physical health problems linked to nutrition and my energy levels aren't particularly any lower. Lunch is so close to breakfast (I wake up at 8AM, and lunch is only ~4 hours away) that I just hold out and eat a larger meal then.

I'm a very active person, so surely if my workouts were in the mornings instead of the afternoons or evenings then I would need some food first thing in order to get myself goin'. But as long as I can keep my schedule as it is, then there's not much worry about eating breakfast.

I'd say that it truly depends on the person, their body type, and their specific nutrition needs. If you diabetic, or anemic, etc., then you definitely don't want to skip a meal. If you find yourself getting light-headed, grumpy, weak feeling - eat some food!

Human beings were originally hunter/gatherers, and conditioned to be able to survive multiple days without a "proper meal" (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/evolution-of-diet/ - solid read), and the idea of the modern diet is debatable.

2. jackiesunga

jackiesunga New Member

No, skipping breakfast is not healthy. Health experts always say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast enhance our physical and cognitive performance during the course of the day. I helps us perform our tasks efficiently.

3. pristine

pristine New Member

I always take breakfast everyday. Skipping it would be just like a car without an engine. It's a daily start-up for me to begin the day filled with many tasks.

4. Newcastle-qAee

Newcastle-qAee New Member

I’ve seldom eaten breakfast at home but enjoy a mug of coffee on rising. As I don’t like cereals and can’t be bothered to cook early on I tend to eat later in the morning and have brunch instead. However it’s a different story when on holiday. As I prefer to holiday in the UK, one of the attractions of the hotel is the full English breakfast which sets me up for the morning, and often whilst shopping in town I might have breakfast in a department store cafe.

Our lifestyles play a part in determining our state of health rather than the importance of whether we eat breakfast or not. Although I do think we should at least have a hot drink on a cold morning or a cold drink in the summer before we begin our routine. It’s up to the individual to decide what is best for them.

5. stefanito

stefanito New Member

Eat traditional, honest foods such as eggs, quality ham, high quality cheeses (cottage, ricotta, very hard cheeses), whole milk (ideally sour), vegetables, berries, and other foods that do not affect blood sugar.

6. Sonson

Sonson Member

personally, skipping breakfast is not healthy . it is the most important meal of the day , even if someone is trying to lose weight its very important to eat when you wake up so you have enough energy to workout and start your day .

7. Ivy07

Ivy07 New Member

It is not healthy because breakfast is the most important meal of the day. This is where you get your energy. So skipping breakfast is not good.

8. elybunny

elybunny New Member

I'm skipping breakfast for months now I always do brunch because I always wake up late and I hate this routine because it's unhealthy for me, there's this time that I had a stomachache lasted for 3 days I couldn't get up because of pain and I always liquid poops that made me skipped my important activities and instead just bed rest the whole day.
    I suspect maybe it's because I had food poison or because of skipping important meals.
    After that I promised myself to eat my breakfast on time because health is wealth I don't wanna miss any important activities because I stuck on my bed due to my poor health and sickness, I don't wanna get sick anymore.
    Now I always tried to get up early to eat my delicious breakfast that made me on the go everyday and a great way to boost your day with a healthy tummy, I can enjoy the rest the day and that made me realize that breakfast is really important I don't wanna breakfast now.

9. juliendaria

juliendaria New Member

skipping breakfast have a different effect on different people, not all eats breakfast, I used to eat heavy breakfast in the morning and I observed that I get hungry at a certain time the same time a day. When I tried a low-calorie diet, my body got used to it and until now my body doesnt demand for the heavy breakfast like before. We should learn how to listen to our body's need. The most important thing is that you intake food as what your body requires. The bad things that letting your stomach empty that it may lead to illness like ulcer and hyperacidity.

10. lockhard41

lockhard41 New Member

I am not a nutritionist but I can tell you that there is huge difference in your body if you do not eat breakfast. It is the unhealthy breakfast that should be avoided. I see so many people eating these huge breakfasts. Their plates look amazing but all the empty calories and fat content is a not doing anything for their health. Personally I believe a light breakfast can spike your metabolism and give you energy.

11. leslie0706

leslie0706 New Member

The answer will depend upon every person since we have a different kind of diet. Well, for me skipping breakfast is a big NO. I'm a teacher and morning is very important to me and the remaining hours of the day. It's necessary to have breakfast, in that way you will have the energy to finish your work successfully. As teachers, we deal with different kind of students in a classroom and it requires a lot of effort to get them attentive in your lesson so being prepared for the battle you are about to face is a must. Having breakfast is one of our way to get ready for the day.

12. Maryellen

Maryellen New Member

Intermittent fasting is quickly be used by athletes and famous sports figures. Some follow a 5:2 protocol, some do Alternate day fasting and others like Terry Crews only eat the one meal a day which can be done over a 1 to 6 hour period. I follow OMAD during a 4 hob breakfast was started by Kelloggs back in the 1940s as a sales pitch for their cereal.

Look into Dr. Jason Fung who promotes healthy living through intermittent fasting. His book the Obesity Code is a must read. And he is a very well known physician so you can trust what he says.

OMAD or One Meal A Day may consist of a snack, meal and dessert which is why you can have a window up to 6 hours. I've been doing this for 16 months now and my doctor just told me that my health has improved 100% since starting this. Many hospitals are beginning to study this as well.

13. Humbledqueen20

Humbledqueen20 New Member

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It provides energy to start off your mornings the right way.

14. chrischan14

chrischan14 New Member

Breakfast is the most special meal for a day . Imagine yourself a bag without anything inside going to school. If you skip breakfast and you are student there is a potential that your brain will not function normally . If you wnt to lose weight have a proper diet and exercise but never skip your breakfast an apple a day is good, bread,tea, banana and other food that high in rich and vitamins.

15. LUCI19901

LUCI19901 New Member

A sarii peste micul dejun, nu este o alegere corecta și nici sanatoasa, pentru ca nu vom avea energie pe parcursul zilei.
    Avem nevoie de fibre, proteine, grasimi, pentru a face fața tuturor provocarilor din timpul zilei.

16. Nada

Nada New Member

I always skip breakfast because I don't like eating in the morning. I am not a nutritionist but I believe you can be healthy without eating breakfast. If you get your necessary calories during lunch and dinner, and eat healthy foods, you'll be fine! Actually, intermittent fasting is something many people do to stay healthy and lose weight. They will only eat during a number of hours a day and fast the rest of the day. So, I think not eating breakfast every day is fine!

17. eymi13

eymi13 New Member

It depends. Breakfast is termed as "break the fast" which mean this is the time that you were sleeping. One of the most common reasons people skip breakfast is because they’re just not hungry in the morning, or with their busy schedule at work and school, they prefer not to eat breakfast. But when you skip breakfast your body become weak. Your blood sugar drops, metabolism is slow and even your heart rate drops. It also gives bad breath. It is important to eat breakfast and proper meal, you can just eat some biscuit or fruits and drinks some tea or coffee. Always take care of yourself.

18. princessshane

princessshane New Member

Technically, skipping breakfast is really not a healthy thing to do. As written on different textbooks about health, breakfast is the most important meal althroughout the whole day because it gives us enough amount of energy that we need during the rest of the day, so skipping this meal is definitely not healthy.

19. fellowbud

fellowbud New Member

i just cant eat breakfast dont have the stomach for it pretty sure its not good

20. diannekaytolentino

diannekaytolentino New Member

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here are some benefits of eating breakfast.

1. Energy Boost to Start the Day
    Everyone should start their day off right by eating as many vitamins and other nutrients as possible.

2. Sharper Focus
    Whether you are in class or on the job, the last thing you want on your mind is food, because once the thought of a hearty bowl of cereal with a side of fruit yogurt enters your brain, there is no use trying to focus on anything else. By eating breakfast every morning, you are able to be more focused and productive until it's time to refuel at lunch. But when you skip out on breakfast, it's hard not to think about anything except food, especially with a noisy stomach that needs to be fed

3. Breakfast Helps Reduce Morning Crankiness
    Feeling cranky during the morning is understandable - you probably wanted to stay in bed for a few extra winks, you don't feel like going to work, and what most people forget, you're starving! Imagine going without food for 8 to 12 hours during the day; you probably won't be the most approachable person in the office or classroom. Do yourself, your classmates and your co-workers a favor by eating breakfast to help you deal with any morning moodiness and stress.

4. Metabolism Boost
    When you sleep, your metabolism tends to slow down. The only way to jump start your metabolism for the day is to start off right with a healthy breakfast. This will allow your body to start burning through calories from the very beginning of the day, rather than in the middle of it after you've eaten lunch.

5. Prevents Starvation
    When you're asleep, your body isn't burning as many calories. If you delay your first meal of the day till lunch, your body goes into survival mode and starts storing calories, creating fat. Do yourself a favor and take the time to have breakfast so your body doesn't think you're starving and needlessly store calories.

6. Keeps You From Overeating
    If you prolong the amount of time between dinner and your next meal of the day, it's only natural that you end up eating more than you should. The hunger pangs and the thought of food all morning will only cause you to gorge at lunch, eating extra calories that can lead to obesity and other health complications.

7. Allows You to Properly Portion Your Meals
    You may not feel very hungry when you initially wake up, but eating a healthy, balanced breakfast can help you plan and portion out your meals for the rest of the day. That way, you won't be tempted to binge eat or snack unnecessarily, both of which are unhealthy habits that can lead you to ignore your nutrition by satisfying hunger cravings with fatty foods anytime you like.

8. Helps Lower the "Bad" Cholesterol
    Eating breakfast every morning can help lower LDL cholesterol, also known as the "bad" cholesterol. When you skip breakfast, you are creating a chain reaction within your body:

• First, you slow down your metabolism.
    • Second, fat is stored longer in your body.
    • Third, you have a higher tendency to overeat at your next meal.
    • Fourth, you gain weight and your LDL cholesterol goes up.
    9. Breakfast Can Be Nutritious and Delicious
    Don't let a shortage of time keep you from enjoying a bite to eat upon waking up. Start the day off with a healthy and delicious meal. You can even indulge a bit with some crispy bacon, sausage links or pancakes. Just make sure to have something with a high nutritional value on the side like a slice of cantaloupe or a bowl of fresh strawberries.

10. Eat Breakfast to Lose Weight
    One of the greatest benefits of eating breakfast every morning is you can lose weight by doing so. Just from reading the previous health benefits, you can see how you're helping your body stay lean. Numerous studies have also shown that an increase in weight is commonly associated with skipping breakfast. The best part is, even if you eat too much or have something a little unhealthy, you still have the entire day to make up for it. Eating breakfast every morning is one of the easiest ways to lose weight and eat healthier.

21. acd

acd New Member

No, because breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a key to start our day right. It fuels and energize our body and brain to take on the challenges for the day.

22. I don't recommend skipping your breakfast because its where you get the energy and nutrients that your body needed for you to make your job properly, base on my own experience I cannot focus on my task and work when i don't get my breakfast , aside from that if you don't take your breakfast there is a possibility that you consume more meal in your lunch resulting for you to become over weight.

23. Medalina

Medalina New Member

No, skipping breakfast is unhealthy.Don't skip breakfast to avoid calories. Studies show that eating a healthy morning meal helps prevent further weight gain. Avoid overindulging in high-calorie foods throughout the day. Breakfast also provides you with essential nutrients that can be stored into energy so you can feel productive for the rest of the day.

24. neromare

neromare New Member

Yes, if you’re fasting. Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern that cycles between fasting and eating. Most of the time you don’t eat a breakfast. With this type of fasting, levels of insulin drop significantly, which promotes fat burning. And it’s said it also helps for cellular repair. Our body starts an important cellular repair processes, and starts removing waste material from our cells faster.

GSP (Georges St-Pierre), the retired Welterweight Champion, holding the record for most wins in title bouts and the second longest combined title streak in UFC history (2,204 days) while defending his title 9 consecutive times — is a big fan of intermittent fasting and says he’s often practicing himself. Saw his interviews on the Joe Rogan podcast and I loved it.

25. reubensausal

reubensausal New Member

I am not a health expert but for me it is unhealthy sir. Because you need energy to start your rough day ahead, skipping a breakfast will make you more unstable thinker due to headaches since you did not taken your meal at first and by that you will not become an effective worker or manager on that certain day. I encourage you to take your meal because health is wealth

26. ZSDayag

ZSDayag Member

My mom always says "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, providing as it does sustenance and energy for whatever activities lay ahead." I believe a lot of people and doctors also believe in that. Well, from my personal experience when I was a student, whenever I've had a big breakfast before school, I become more effective and enthusiastic in learning. Truly that, before you put something in your head, you should put something first in your stomach.

27. bette05

bette05 New Member

Its not good to skip breakfast.Breakfast is the most needed for us to have energy the whole day.It is the most important meal of the day.It is claimed that breakfast helps us lose weight, and that skipping it can raise our risk of obesity.Breakfast eaters tend to be healthier and leaner than breakfast skippers. This may be due to the fact that breakfast eaters have other healthy lifestyle habits.
    Skipping breakfast is a common part of many intermittent fasting methods.it's important to mention that intermittent fasting and/or skipping breakfast does not suit everyone. The effects vary by to individual.Some people may experience positive effects, while others may develop headaches, drops in blood sugar, faintness and lack of concentration.

28. Reynandu30

Reynandu30 New Member

It probably does not matter whether you eat or skip breakfast, as long as you eat healthy for the rest of the day. Breakfast does not "jump start" your metabolism and skipping it does not automatically make you overeat and gain weight.

29. mftmadam

mftmadam New Member

Hmm, I'm not really sure. But my partner always say that it's bad to skip breakfast. Since it's the first meal of the day and since you just woke up your body needs the nutrients that will come from the breakfast, but I skip it still. And so far my health is same as always, not the best but good enough.

30. redj

redj New Member

I strongly disagree! skipping breakfast is really unhealthy, because breakfast is the most important meal in a day, you need energy to do your work and chores in a day. Therefore without a meal in the morning your not productive, your body will be sickly and prone to illnesses.