Is skipping breakfast healthy?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by 420fermin, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Matthew Bonds

Matthew Bonds New Member

It slows down your metabolism and puts your body into starvation mode. So no it is not healthy.

2. juliemarie07

juliemarie07 New Member

For me personally, I eat breakfast. If I skip out on breakfast my body usually doesn't have much energy to perform any tasks. It also helps awaken your metabolism because when you are sleeping it slows down. Skipping breakfast can actually have a person gain weight. I don't know if that is your goal or not. But if you are fasting or planning to work out before breakfast I suggest taking BCAA

3. Mbelfernandes

Mbelfernandes New Member

Let’s try to look at things this way: Food is to our bodies, as fuel is to cars. When we eat, the digestive system transforms food into calories, which are burnt to generate energy for our bodies. Regardless of what time you wake up, breakfast is the first meal your body will process after a long period of fasting (wich occurs while we sleep). During our sleep, the body does not consume as much energy as when we are awake, so naturaly we are able to stand long hours without eating anything.

Let’s say you went to sleep at 10 pm, and got up at 6 am. Your body will have spent 8 hours without energy input. If you skip breakfast, and only eat at lunch (let’s say 12 pm), that will be na extra 6 hours of no calorie consumption. In other words, that’s 14 hours without producing energy for your body. If you are on a daily exercise routine, your body is gonna start to burn energy from it’s “energy bank” which is reserved body fat. Some people would think that is great, but do you love it when you are scraping out your savings account, so you can make it to the end of the month? Your body doesn’t either.

Ironicly, eating less can actually make you gain more weight. When you burn a lot of energy, but produce very little of it, your brain tells your body to stockup on anything available. The day you don’t excercise, and don’t skip meals, your body will turn all that food into fat for its energy bank. Ever heard the expression “better safe than sorry”?

My advice to someone who wants to lose weight without fasting is, go to a professional dietician. Only a Professional will be able to set you on a healthy diet, that will help you to reach the results you want. If you can’t hire a dietician, than do what serious athletes do: Eat lots of fibers to build muscles, and eat carbs (carbs only) before trainings. Have you ever seen runners eating cooked pasta (plain, with no sauce) before a race? They do that because it helps to build up on easy to burn energy for the extra load of exercise.
    Hope this helps.

4. brittxxbabe25

brittxxbabe25 New Member

Skipping breakfast can be detrimental to your body, the reason being breakfast is the first time your body is getting any energy in 8 hours (or however long you've been asleep for). When your body feels that it isn't getting enough fuel, it goes into starvation mode and starts storing MORE fat because it is unsure when its next meal is coming.
    Your first meal is the most important because it fuels your body and gives you the energy you need to get through the day. Plainly said, you're likely to feel more tired on days you haven't eaten breakfast than on days you have.

5. IsaiahInteriano

IsaiahInteriano New Member

I am not a doctor nor have I any medical experience, but I skip breakfast everyday and am perfectly healthy. I play 3 varsity sports and go for a run ever night. I don't take energy supplements, but I snack a lot during the day; not because I'm hungry but most of the time because I am bored. I think it honestly depends on the person.

6. Jekaterina Maslova

Jekaterina Maslova New Member

I stick to the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If i don't have a good meal like porridge with some fruit and a cup of coffee in the morning, I will probably be very tired and hungry the rest of the day. Plus in the morning you can eat almost anything, since you're going to use up all the calories anyway.

7. abs_14

abs_14 New Member

It depends on what you do in the morning. If you're doing some really intense exercise (like heavy lifting or operating machinery) then it's best to eat before you do so to avoid feeling nauseous and harming your work effort. I think breakfast is very important for my work and it lets me focus on what I need to do to get the job done, but if you're only doing some light cardio (or not working out at all) and you feel fine without it then it's up to you to decide if it's "healthy" or not. Skipping breakfast once in a while isn't going to damage your metabolism or make you go into "starvation mode" like other people in this thread have said. Sure, it might make you more hungry than usual and you might be more distracted, but it's not going to permanently affect your body. If you feel it's really super important that you eat in the morning, then have breakfast. If you're not a big breakfast eater, then don't. I think it's good to have breakfast every morning but if you feel fine and you believe it's not going to affect your work effort then it's your choice.

8. errdo19

errdo19 New Member

What I have learned is that skipping breakfast can actually cause you to gain weight. The ideal eating schedule is every few hours have a small meal. This works because you are training your body to expect food every few hours so it doesn't need to store everything you ingest each time you eat because it knows when to expect its next meal. When you don't eat breakfast or skip any meal your body goes into starvation mode and will store every calorie it gets because it doesn't know when it will get any more. Also, breakfast is important because your metabolism doesn't really kick in for the day until you eat something. So if you don't eat until lunch, you've gone half your day without your metabolism going.

9. Queenlafaye

Queenlafaye New Member

I think skipping breakfast is very healthy. In addition, some days fasting is essential to completely detoxing the system. It is important sometimes to flush the body out of all solid waste material. I often fast 2 days a week. This means skipping breakfast in addition to lunch and dinner. On these days, I usually only drink water or other liquids and forgo any solids to purge my body of solid waste.

10. errdo19

errdo19 New Member

I agree with Queenlafaye about the occasional detoxes. This is a great way to reboot your system and get rid of the toxins. But on days that you are eating you should eat breakfast along with several other small, clean meals. Eating clean reduces the number of times you will need to do a detox. If you aren't filling your body with toxins you don't need a detox. It's amazing the extra weight your liver and colon can be storing when it's filled with toxins. Thanks for bringing up that point!

Queenlafaye likes this.
  11. Alexandra SW

Alexandra SW New Member

I would say, No! I feel like I grew up hearing that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I subscribe to that idea. But, I am not a nutritionist or in the medical field.
    Healthy or not though, I don't and I won't skip breakfast! It's my favorite meal of the day. Furthermore, now that it is a habit, if I do skip it, I feel sick or faint.

12. DianaOK

DianaOK New Member

Breakfast has been something I've skipped for most of my life. Just a glass of water and I'm good to go.

All my life I've seen the advise of doctors switch back and forth on foods like coffee, eggs, oil ,salt, and other such foods. The one thing I've found has worked for me is to try one thing at a time and see how my body reacts. I either lose energy or gain it. I make note of it and then try something else. It's kept me away from needing to take medicine and that makes me happy.

Skipping breakfast works for me--unless it's protein--so that's what I do.

13. Alex Maish

Alex Maish New Member

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it’s a dietary truth few would disagree with. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school. Skipping the morning meal can throw off your body’s rhythm of fasting and eating. When you wake up, the blood sugar your body needs to make your muscles and brain work their best is usually low. Breakfast helps replenish it. Most people skip this a.m. meal lying to themselves that they are burning up calories but in real sense,this is what happens; if you don’t take breakfast, you may get so hungry later on before lunchtime that you snack on high-fat, high sugar foods. So my advice to all, let's all purpose to enjoy the sweetness of our breakfast. I'm out!!!

14. Tam

Tam New Member

I like fasting. I do it because to me, it feels more natural. If you were a human living hundreds of years ago, would you be eating three or more times a day? I don't think so. I skip meals in the morning until dinner most of the time. Sometimes I will snack throughout the day on nuts or fruit if I'm feeling a little lethargic or need some energy. But I fast because I have a problem with over eating and this helps me control myself.

15. Will Milovech

Will Milovech New Member

I've been told countless times that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and you shouldn't skip it, even if you aren't hungry. I believe it is more of a personal preference. I only eat breakfast if I am hungry in the morning before I leave the house, if I am not hungry then no breakfast for me. It's really down to you and how you feel when you wake up in the mornings.

16. mhague15

mhague15 New Member

My mother always said "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", and I believe this to be true. In order to get the energy you need to start your day, you need to give your body protein & carbohydrates as well as fruits & vegetables. Without these nutrients, you lack the proper energy needed to meet your daily needs. Skipping out on a meal may sound like a good idea but you are only hurting your body but not giving it the nutrients it needs.

17. sadaf anis

sadaf anis New Member

No, it is not healthy to skip your breakfast because our body need some food to work out our daily processes plus also to give us energy for all our daily chores. We always skip breakfast in order to lose weight but instead of loosing wait we spoil our health. The stomach ask for bile juice from the liver for digestion but when there is no food the stomach starts to digest itself. So instead of skipping we may eat something that is healthy like apple and a glass of milk.

18. eliza_

eliza_ New Member

Personally I have found that a high protein breakfast within a couple hours of waking is what serves me best.
    If I wait too long to eat, I lose mental focus so it is important to me to make sure I actually consume something before getting spaced out! A mug of homemade Bulletproof Coffee has become one of my favorite morning meals. It's delicious and my energy stays consistent the whole day with no hunger until evening.

19. Marc

Marc New Member

In my experience, skipping breakfast always made it more difficult for me to eat healthy, function normally or even generally have energy throughout the day. A decently sized breakfast of e.g., porridge, will help stabilize blood sugar and give you the complex carbohydrates required for optimal physiological and neural function. This also helps to avoid craving unhealthy foods later in the day, and therefore saves a lot of the mental willpower you would otherwise use avoiding such foods.

20. WoodyAlien

WoodyAlien New Member

Not having breakfast is extremely unhealthy! Let me explain, there are two ways your body can get cholesterol, one way is from the food we eat, the other way is producing it outselves. When the body hasn't had food for a while it senses the need of energy so the liver starts producing cholesterol and the cholesterol our body produces is actually way higher than the one we consume from food!
    So when we sleep we are in a long period of fasting, we don't need much energy then, but when we wake up it is important that we eat something even if we are not hungry so our liver won't have to produce the energy by itself.

21. Alayah

Alayah New Member

Skipping breakfast is a big NO! Because first of all it not a good way to start your day. Because it can leave you hungry and moody and making you hungry can make you nauseous , get headaches, and, feel off balance

22. Bankaimaster

Bankaimaster Member

Nope never healthy. It is better to actually have a big breakfast, a smaller lunch and maybe skip dinner. Dinner does not have to big, sometimes it is actually okay to not have dinner altogether if lunch is substantial enough. In cases like that a meal bar is a good idea instead of a heavy meal.

23. Marchant

Marchant New Member

Breakfast is the most important meal to give you the energy you need to kick-start the day

24. drcamacho

drcamacho New Member

I don't have any evidence of it being healthy or unhealthy. I believe this topic is more opinion based. I don't think it's unhealthy as much as it not being helpful. Eating breakfast could potentially help with speeding up one's metabolism. Skipping breakfast makes me feel horrible, even though I continuously fail to eat breakfast or eat food within 30 minutes of being woke. I get hangry, lethargic and my stomach begins to get upset if I take too long to eat. I believe everyone should try to get something healthy in their body's before starting their day.

25. Lexter Resullar

Lexter Resullar New Member

Personally, skipping breakfast is not really good. You know breakfast is the most important among the meals. Without breakfast you can't start your day just like the quote says "You can't fight a war with an empty stomach". So we must all eat our breakfasts everyday.

26. MUKUL RAHUL ECKA

MUKUL RAHUL ECKA New Member

No not at all.Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.A healthy meal in the morning will give you energy,satisfy your appetite and give your day a kick start. So its not just about having Breakfast but rather a healthy one.On the other hand,Skipping breakfast can set you up overeating later in the day.

27. TylerT

TylerT New Member

I feel like it's more important that most people think, however I do think it's probably the meal that most people probably skip everyday. To get up and eat breakfast, usually involves waking up earlier, which almost non of us want to do. However, I feel like as long as you eat lunch it's not that big of a deal to skip breakfast. Everyone probably over stress how important breakfast really is, but what do I really know?

28. Aleksa5692

Aleksa5692 New Member

Fasting does not build muscle.It actually can help with burning fat but only when being strategic.For everyone trying to build muscle and burn fat they must count their macros because that is the only way to keep your body growing and losing fat.Skipping breakfast does not help all the time because it raises your cortisol levels but if you eat the needed carbs,proteins and fats any time of the day you will be ok.

29. automatik

automatik New Member

Personally, I am a "faster" by nature. I have been intermittent fasting/extreme fasting for more than four years now. I never eat breakfast anymore. I only eat one meal per day, usually in the evening. I make sure I get all of my calories and about 100 to 150 grams of protein into that one meal, if possible. Best decision I've ever made in my life.

30. automatik

automatik New Member

I lost 30 pounds of mostly fat by cutting breakfast out completely from my diet. Although I've been exercising and lifting weights for most of my life, I had never seen veins in my lower abs until I had starting eating one meal per day. Another side benefit of me doing this is that I hardly ever get sick anymore. I would always get these nasty, allergic reactions that would wreck my sinuses at least twice a year. Ever since I stopped eating so many times per day, those illnesses have disappeared. And if they do try to rear their ugly heads, they usually go away very quickly: much quicker than they would have previously. Fasting is not starving. I am hardly ever hungry now. I don't have hunger pangs. I don't lose weight drastically (unless I want to). My body has acclimated to the stresses I have put on it. Now, I'm not saying just jump right into something like this. Like I've said already before, the body has to grow accustomed to these new stresses. A gradual process of weaning yourself off of breakfast would be the best approach. Don't get discouraged if you feel like it's taking longer than you feel like it should. Fasting is different or each person. Try it out and see how it works for you.