Is the sequel always worse than the original?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Writingtomorrow, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Writingtomorrow

Writingtomorrow New Member

They always say the sequel is worse than the original, something I am not sure I agree with. What do you think as a viewer? What makes a sequel a good or bad one to you?

2. Tunaturkeydog

Tunaturkeydog Member

Not always. It's a very subjective and argumentative statement. It will depend who will be writing the next flick. It's a group effort and it takes alot of brainstorming in order to finalize a script. Look at Godfather 2. It was better than the first one.

3. rvtamayo

rvtamayo Member

Well, it depends on how the movie is created. Most often if the movie is just recreated by a different actor or director it brings a different flavor and sometimes loses the whole concept of the story. Star Wars is a good example that they can recreate the story without losing its true form. The prequel and the newer edition is better than the original in my opinion.

4. Warren1967

Warren1967 Well-Known Member

Most of the time, it is not as good as the first film. In trying to live up to the success of the first film, sometimes they do things that do more harm than good making a good sequel. Sometimes the sequel comes out as an exaggerated version of the first film but fails to capture the essence of what made the original film a success. To much of effects and star power but not enough emphasis on the script is another factor. When a film concentrates on hype rather than substance, you get a poor sequel.

5. rustypaller

rustypaller Member

Although I don't agree 100%, a lot of the time it's because the original had a certain dynamic, storyline or setting that just gets reused or changed in the second and either way it tends to end up as the same film but without the punchy dialogue that made the original shine. I'd use Airplane! as an example of this, the original just worked, the whole thing was excellent and the sequel is so much less effective because it's essentially the same film but they've had to think of different jokes to keep it going that aren't as funny because the spontaneity has gone from the writers. Just my thought.

6. breego

breego New Member

Well, certainly not always. I'd say each new lord of the rings is better then the previous one, even though all of them are good. But, The Matrix movies seems to go down hill with each new release. I will agree that it feels like sequels generally do worse than the original partly because of the high expectation the original one has set (if it's good). Sometimes filmmakers don't understand what made the original a success and put emphasis on the wrong things in the sequels and it tanks. Sometimes the sequel is done as a cash-grab, relying on the nostalgia of the original. But nostalgia the hands of a great filmmaker can work wonders like Blade Runner 2049 is considered one of the best sequels. So, I can understand the general belief of sequel being the bad one but there are many examples that say otherwise.

7. bnjgzmn

bnjgzmn Member

The only two movies that were better than their predecessors are Dark Knight and Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

8. pcanlas20

pcanlas20 New Member

Normally, most of us think that sequels are just being made when the original one became a hit. Well, usually this is the case. We can say that it is all about money but in fact, if we're going to analyze it, the original one is about money, too. In this, I think it's better to say that it's just normal for us to always compare the sequel to the original. Why? Because it's a sequel, meaning there has been a story and a standard set by the first one.

9. apolinske28

apolinske28 New Member

Godfather 2 was better than the original. I think in order to at least have a chance to be better, the sequel has to keep the same cast. When they change the cast, the sequel is bound to suck. Also, what makes a sequel better is when it is a continuation of the original storyline, and not a completely different story. Kill Bill is a good example of multiple sequels being better than the original.

10. fikaaaa14

fikaaaa14 New Member

Well, not always, most of the times people just say that but they dont think so, look at the Harry Potter and Kill Bill, it is not just the first part that is good.

11. jaykenth

jaykenth Member

Not all the time. One of my favorite movies is the Saw and the sequels just keep on getting better and better. It is also the same with my other favorite movie, Final destination. Maybe if it is not a continuation of the first movie, then the writers are having a bad time creating a new story for the sequel. That's why sometimes it sucks.