Laptop or Desktop - Your preference?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by bwendo, Apr 16, 2011.

1. bwendo

bwendo New Member

I know laptops are convenient and handy to use whilst you are on the go, but for a concentrated effort doing a paper or article they can be clumsy and slow.
    What is your preference?

2. Andre

Andre New Member

Both. Desktop for gaming. It's easy to upgrade and keep gaming the brand new games. Desktop to work anywhere you go.

3. rad140

rad140 Active Member

I like both as well. Laptops for portability, desktops for performance and gaming.
    Gaming laptops can be too expensive, and desktops are hardly portable.

didar and bwendo like this.
  4. DarkStar1O9

DarkStar1O9 Guest

For the time being as a student I'd prefer a laptop. Maybe one day when I'm settled in a house I'll buy a pc as well :)

momiyaz, GoldenApples and bwendo like this.
  5. bwendo

bwendo New Member

Thanks guys, what an exciting thread, looks like we almost have a winner..

6. Tom Romond

Tom Romond Guest

I say Desktop. Laptops are good for mobility but if you like gaming, or running multiple programs then I highly reccomend getting a desktop. I need a new desktop myself actually :/

lilmissheredia1220 and bwendo like this.
  7. Manuel12345

Manuel12345 Guest

Hello, i prefere Laptop because it is portable... I use it for gaming, working, scripting, foruming! If you have a good laptop, you can game without any problems... I have a low laptop and it let me play many games without problems...

Best Regards,
    Manuel

bwendo likes this.
  8. Jules Goes

Jules Goes Guest

well, I right now use a laptop, its really handy, carrying it already, while going to college, but desktop are way better due to its high performance, and i need one too, as im into animation,

which brand is better?

9. rad140

rad140 Active Member

It's more parts and performance you should be concerned about than brand per se. I know a lot of animators/graphic designers like to use macs, but they're quite expensive for what you get.

peablaze and lilmissheredia1220 like this.
  10. valentinas25

valentinas25 Guest

Well,now i have only Laptop,but i had and Desktop,I like Desktop more becouse they're faster,and laptop only in travels and job...

11. Dev

Dev Guest

I go with Bwendo, Laptop is no doubt comfortable, but at times, it causes irritation, and becomes uncomfortable to work on.
    For coding purposes I prefer Desktop, as they are more durable and obviously with faster response time

lilmissheredia1220 likes this.
  12. mccanono

mccanono New Member

The answer actually depends on the user's computer needs. Personally, i find laptops to be convenient because i can bring mine wherever and whenever i want. But the only drawback is the battery life.

Occasionally, i also use desktops to do some work especially the jobs that require more computing power (such as video and photo editing)

13. hack13

hack13 Guest

I really like desktop computers, they are just way easier for me to use and handle. Laptops are a pain to fix and repair not to mention even upgrade. I just stick to desktops, though I do love the portability of a laptop.

ashikcs likes this.
  14. j4x0r

j4x0r Guest

I prefer laptop. I do a lot of graphic designing and with a laptop mouse pad you can be way more accurate with your brush strokes and it look way more neat in the long run. With a desktop the mouse moves way too easy and can easily mess up lines.

ashikcs likes this.
  15. felixbnguyen

felixbnguyen Guest

Desktop.
    they're easier to handle, and more ergonomic. they're also cheaper, so you don't need a lot of money to buy one. Although it's good to have a computer for use on-the-go, you're probably better off with a netbook for doing stuff on-the-go, and a desktop for doing most of your stuff.

ashikcs likes this.
  16. rad140

rad140 Active Member

I agree for the most part, but I really good desktop is still expensive.
    And how is a desktop easier to handle? It's big and awkward and heavy, unless you were referring to something else?

ashikcs likes this.
  17. cooltwig

cooltwig Member

I prefer laptops simply because I can sit down on the sofa and watch a bit of TV while im on Postloop :)

18. Jubiko

Jubiko Guest

I have been sticking with a desktop for a while wishing to get a laptop for like years now. And now that I finally have one, I can tell that Laptops can't handle new games unless you upgrade them that will cost you money. So if you just want to play games and not do much outside with a computer, take a desktop. But if you love doing things outside, I'd prefer laptops. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

joseph.seff and ashikcs like this.
  19. joesav79

joesav79 Guest

For 95% of what I do on the computer I am going to have to go with laptop. I would like to make a prediction that desktops will soon fade out within the next 20 years especially with smartphones.

ashikcs and Lee11 like this.
  20. GeeksChat

GeeksChat New Member

For anything involved/major it has to be desktop - for shear power/speed and also (in my case) for multiple screens - they make my time in front of them it sooooo much more productive. :thumbsup:

My small screen laptop does have an advantage over the large desktop though, as I can use it in the family room and be around everyone rather than tucked away in the computer room.

Cheers,
    Shaun :D

Jspazz, ashikcs, contentyogi and 2 others like this.
  21. TheSilentKid

TheSilentKid Member

I'd rather choose a desktop. Gotta keep playing the latest games, improve my system and seeing as I don't really move around that much , desktops are my kind of thing :D

22. komicwords

komicwords Guest

I prefer Laptop. It is portable, space efficiently and when the lights out I should not fed up because a data that I just typed lost

23. i was using desktop sine a long time but the lately i started using the DELL laptop because it offered more simple way of computing and better mobility.

24. Goop

Goop Guest

I prefer a laptop personally, a laptop is nice for its initial use which is on the go work. I wouldn't mind a ipad though :)

25. Laptops and depends on the need... Work, university, travels, etc, Laptop..
    Gamming, Desk!!!!

26. xofogox

xofogox Guest

desktop, cant beat the power of a good desktop

GeeksChat likes this.
  27. lelouch22

lelouch22 Guest

I prefer a laptop than a desktop right now for its portability. But if where talking about performance and maintenance i would prefer a desktop.

28. soupreme

soupreme Guest

This question is weak!
    Desktop if obviously better for serious computing. not to mention price to performance.
    Laptop is more useful if you need to carry it around and use it on a bed.

29. DiogoL

DiogoL Guest

Well, i prefer my desktop for playing because it is faster. For working, a laptop is very usefull because you can work confortable, anywhere you want.

30. Venkatesh R

Venkatesh R Guest

Desktop gives us the ease of upgrading the hardwares and it isn't mucg costly. Although it isn't portable, we can expect it to work for so many years, on the other hand laptop is portable, carry it anywhere, use it anywhere but still lacks some good features........I prefer desktop!!