Listening to music while driving? Distracting or not?

Discussion in 'Music' started by smsb96, Sep 17, 2016.

1. smsb96

smsb96 New Member

Music and driving have gone together since the first car radio was introduced around 1930.
    Studies have shown that having a phone conversation while driving is highly distracting, and we all know texting while driving is even worse. So listening to music must be distracting too, right?
    Or is it?
    Several studies have been done on this subject, and the results vary considerably. When driving to their playlist, 98 percent of the drivers made serious mistakes (such as speeding, tailgating, or driving one-handed) versus 92 percent who made similar mistakes without music. Listening to the safe-driving music, however, decreased the rate of mistakes by 20 percent.

2. saundra burnett

saundra burnett New Member

I can be easily distracted by the radio ( music or talk) or excessive sound in general while driving, so I usually avoid it altogether. I may hum or sing myself, if I feel motivated to do so!

3. Trecie08

Trecie08 New Member

Listening to music while driving can be distracting for me depending on the type of song it is and what mood I'm in. For instance, if I am feeling low and I listen to a sad song I tend to get into deep thought about how my situation relates to the song. Therefore, in that moment I am not paying as close of attention to the road as I should be.

4. bairesgirl

bairesgirl New Member

It depends if I am driving towards somewhere I had been to before and around a familiar area or if I am heading towards a new, unfamiliar place.
    If I know where I am going, I like listening to some cool music, it helps me relax and makes the trip more enjoyable.
    Now if I need to focus on where I am going or never been there before I try to not listen to music because that will distract me and I might end up in the wrong place or have an accident.

5. PaulGray23

PaulGray23 New Member

I enjoy listening to music and driving. I find it quite soothing, if I have company on the journey I feel its optional and leave it to them to decide on wether they'd like to listen or not.

6. Skuarewon

Skuarewon New Member

It can be good to listen to music. But I like to listen to the sweet sound of my surroundings the wind and the engine. Feels good to be aware.

7. aminachahdi

aminachahdi New Member

i think it depends on the genre of music the driver is listening to, even though music improves concentration it might have a different effect..

8. Hux

Hux Active Member

I don't think it's very distracting to me, I say it somehow makes me focus more as it kind of relaxes me. I always have my music up loud in my car though.

9. sarbjit singh

sarbjit singh Member

Music and driving have gone together since the first car radio was introduced around 1930.
    Studies have shown that having a phone conversation while driving is highly distracting, and we all know texting while driving is even worse. So listening to music must be distracting too, right?
    Or is it?
    Several studies have been done on this subject, and the results vary considerably. When driving to their playlist, 98 percent of the drivers made serious mistakes (such as speeding, tailgating, or driving one-handed) versus 92 percent who made similar mistakes without music. Listening to the safe-driving music, however, decreased the rate of mistakes by 20 percent.

10. Tsurka

Tsurka New Member

For me it is because I ride a motorbike. I have tried to listen while driving but it is dangerous so I stoped. I mostly sing in my helmet when nobody is on the road. :)

11. Ronniep6

Ronniep6 New Member

I would have to say no, althought it can be a distraction when it comes to having a few people witg you in the car. I have got alot better in multitasking while driving but for some that may not be the case. Times come along when i really just enjoy driving with no music at all, but i wouldn't recommend driving with the music blasting with the windows up. I say that because then their are certain things that can happen where you might need to hear something. A firetruck or ambulance, Someone yelling near by to tell you something important about your car. I beleive music can act as a source to concentration as well when driving. With most things as such, I generally feel like it depends what you can handle, And most of all comfortable. If your new driver, definitely wouldn't recommend.

12. scaruso3

scaruso3 New Member

Listening to music while driving is a must for me. When I have enjoyable music playing while I drive it just creates a great, comfortable feeling for me, which allows me to relax and drive great. It does not matter the genre, as long as I find the song pleasing to my ears while I am driving I feel so relaxed that my actions on the road almost become second nature - it sounds pretty odd but I can't drive without music. I will find some sort of distraction or odd noise outside to focus on instead of the road. With music playing, I just allow myself to concentrate so much harder on the road. I highly recommend it!

Sherrymr1 likes this.
  13. Sherrymr1

Sherrymr1 New Member

Listening to music while driving is relaxing for me, I like to play it loud, if it is a song I really like! I used to drive school bus , the kids all liked me because I played the radio. I was more relaxed driving the school bus too. When I was younger, I played the radio all night long , now that I am older, I like it quiet at night.I really love music, who else feels the same way?

14. Rocsi

Rocsi New Member

Listing to music while I drive is more uplifting than driving without. I tend to drive less nervously while listening to music. Therefore its not a distraction for me.

Sherrymr1 likes this.
  15. shavon0979

shavon0979 New Member

Driving with music helps to keep me in a calm state of mind during rush hour traffic. I must say though if I am listening to a song that I really like I have been known to miss my turn or exit because I am so focused on the music playing.

Sherrymr1 likes this.
  16. TravelDiva77

TravelDiva77 New Member

I think it depends on different factors. Id the music so loud that you can not hear the things that are going on around you? Are you so immersed in the music that you are making poor driving decisions? As long as you can maintain focus while driving and obey driving laws then music is not a distraction. I think it is something that may be different for each individual.

17. DonScott

DonScott Member

Depends on the music and my mood personally. Sometimes I find myself "zoning out" when all I hear is the monotonous tones of my engine. On the other hand, a lot of times I turn up the music to keep me "in the moment" so to speak. I think overall the affect of music is very circumstantial.

Pady likes this.
  18. entity34

entity34 New Member

It just depends on the playlist, the destination, and preference. If your on a long trip than music that is upbeat can keep you up and attentive while that same music on a trip to the store may be distracting. The same thing can be said about music that is mellow. On a long trip, it might put you to sleep on the road while a trip to work it gets you ready for the day.

Pady likes this.
  19. tiago7

tiago7 New Member

I listen to music several times while driving, it makes people more relaxed, but sometimes they have to leave off in more urgent cases.

Pady likes this.
  20. Pady

Pady New Member

I don't think that listening to music while driving is distracting. But obviously anyone should not use headphones while driving. :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Because it is very dangerous. Otherwise I don't think that there is any distraction.:thumbsup:

21. docx

docx New Member

Listening music while driving is good thing because the driving might be monotone and you may fall in sleep.When you are in monotone mood you feel sleepy and this is bad when you are in car.The car's companies installed a music player for this purpose ,to distract you from monotone driving.

22. Vyck

Vyck New Member

Since I tend to get sleepy while driving (especially long distances, which I have to drive often) I NEED music while driving. I actually think is more distracting to have a bunch of people talking on the car.

23. prashant14

prashant14 New Member

I think listening to the music while driving is quite distracting. The concentration is diverted towards music especially when we use headphones. There are lots of accident cases that are caused by listening to music while driving.

24. dasom

dasom New Member

Mood of the songs decide that distraction while driving...I think in that way...if we hear some pleasant song nothing will happen mostly

25. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg New Member

I would say it depends on the person, type of music and the time of the day as well.

Listening to music usually makes people feel something. Music might bring happiness, it might bring you sadness, it might also calm you down or make you go crazy when listening to something heavy.

Listening to calming music while driving during the night or while being on the highway might not be the best thing to do IMO. If the music is slow and quiet, it might make you sleepy. There's some chemistry and brain magic involved here, but not all of us register it the same.

I, myself wouldn't want to listen to something nice and calming during the long drives on highway cause in general, driving tires me, probably more than most people. If I wanted to stay awake I'd probably just blast something heavier, be it metal, rock, electronic. Something that makes you want to jump, head bump or whatever. Another thing you should think of while listening to such genres - certain people might get pumped up, push the pedal and drive faster. Playing it super loud can also be an issue since you might not hear what's going on around you.

It really depends on each and every one of us. We all perceive it differently. What I like about certain cars is the speed warning system. If you start driving too fast your music will suddenly drop down in volume and give you the hint.

If you are driving with someone with you in the car, relaxing music could be helpful in that case. You have someone with you to pay attention to both the road and you. If he is not easily affected by music and long drives like me :) I easily fall asleep so I tend to use other means of transportation myself. The only kind of music that would keep me awake would be something heavier.

"Listening to the safe-driving music, however, decreased the rate of mistakes by 20 percent."

Now this is a statement I sort of denied with my comment. You can never truly take surveys to be exactly correct. Music, like I said, works different for each of us. There is some chemistry, brain magic, what not that either gets you pumped up, emotional, sleepy, and such.

So, my guess would be 50-50. It can be distracting, it can be helpful. Listening to music isn't the same as talking to someone over the phone of course.

If they wanted to conduct more in depth survey on music and driving including various genres and different types of people, not just randomly selected folk, they would probably get different scores. Some people love driving, some people hate driving, some people drive just because they have to. There are more things to take in to account when taking surveys like this one.

26. janice gomes

janice gomes New Member

My thoughts on listening to music doesn't effect me at all i can drive better with the distraction, Or I will be mostly pulling my hair out with out it.

27. Taryn Jarvis

Taryn Jarvis New Member

I don't think it's distracting..

28. Tangrador

Tangrador New Member

The only person I know of, that finds this distracting, is my mother. And she's terrible at multitasking... and driving.

29. Manthy

Manthy New Member

For me, listening to music while driving is not distracting as long as it is a good music and on adequate volume level. However, I don't recommend it for people who just learned how to drive.

30. Mr. Kiborgue

Mr. Kiborgue New Member

I think that it all depends on the type of music you're listening to!
    For example if u listen to slow classical music you will drive more carefully, so it will actually enhance your driving in tight spaces and it will give you more patience with annoying drivers.
    But for a race you could listen to power/death metal or something else that turns your blood into explosive lava you cannot control!:D
    So it all depends on what you are actually doing at the moment, you just have to listen to the right music at the right time, and then it will be beneficial.
    But if you listen to wrong music in the wrong place, and you become too jumpy, you might ram into a police car or something, and we don't want that now do we!? :laugh: