Losing weight with calorie counting?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cekeytra, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Has Calorie Counting and Cardio helped you reach you weight goal?

1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cekeytra

cekeytra New Member

When you look in the mirror and you see the extra tummy, or when you step o the scale and it jumps to numbers you never knew you could reach, you immediately look for ways to lose the weight. Most times when we try to lose weight we run to the gym, hitting weights, and ab machines, but we quickly realize that we are not getting smaller, but actually bigger. Every wonder why that happens? Well its simple, when you run to the weights and ab machines you are only building muscle on top of the fat. When looking to lose weight there's necessary steps and precautions to take. First, research the proper calories needed to consume daily to lose weight. That task can be completed by typing in on any search engine proper calorie intake for weight loss. Once you have find a site befitting to you enter the needed info, and voila! you have the proper calories needed to intake for weight loss. Before you set a meal plan in motion speak with you physician. Next thing is start cardio workouts, doing cardio workouts causes the fat burning results you want. Once you see the pounds of fat melt off that mean its time for the weights and the ab machines, Does this method of calorie counting, and cardio workouts work? I am a product of calorie counting and I have lost 10 pounds this month. So, don't get discouraged, just get counting, and burning!

bairesgirl likes this.
  2. something_clean

something_clean New Member

I agree that calorie counting works. If you don't set rules for yourself, it's easy to overeat.

It certainly is POSSIBLE to lose weight without calorie counting. You can eat smaller portions and pay attention to how you feel to determine if you've had enough calories already. (For example, if you're used to listening to your body, you can TELL the difference between being munchy and real hunger.) Also, the fact is, if you're on a diet, it's inevitable that you will feel hungry. It doesn't have to be unpleasant or make you feel sick and unable to accomplish what you have to accomplish that day, but you WILL feel hungry. This is simple thermodynamics; only by consuming fewer calories than you need will you lose weight.

So, if you can do the equivalent of "eyeballing it" when deciding how much food to eat and estimate (without counting) your calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. However, if you're not tracking concrete numbers, it's easy to tell yourself, "Well, MAYBE I can eat that donut and still have a calorie deficit for today..." and before you know it, you've killed your diet.

In my opinion, counting your calories is a good way to be assured you're actually going to lose weight.

3. klt2011

klt2011 New Member

As a recent college grad in Nutrition, I can say that one of the best ways to lose weight is count calories in and calories out. It doesn't have to be a full-blown obsession and listening to your body is a key component, but in the end, in order to lose weight you need to have more calories going out than going in.

With that being said not all calories are created equal. Getting calories from fruits and vegetables is different than getting calories from french fries and a cheeseburger. It is very important to know which foods have positive effects on the body and which ones do not.

If you have the time take 100 calories of a fruit or vegetable and then take the same amount of calories that you would get out of potato chips. Not only do you get more fruits and vegetables to eat, but the nutritional value they hold is different. I like to refer to these as "empty" calories kind of like how some people label pop or soda. There is not a whole lot of nutritional value to them even though they may taste better than the fruits and vegetables.

4. fdc

fdc New Member

Congratulations on the weight loss! I highly recommend calorie counting whenever I hear someone wants to lose weight. I lost around 70 pounds by eating 1,200 calories a day (more if I ran or did other cardio). It's not easy all of the time--at certain points of the month, I wanted to just eat pizza and chocolate--but it was much easier than doing things like low carb and keto. I didn't have a lot of energy and craved pasta all of the time. Unfortunately, I've been slacking a bit and gained some of it back.

5. forest_kitten

forest_kitten New Member

Calorie counting absolutely works because it is simple physics - if you spend more calories than you take in, you will absolutely start losing weight.

There are downsides to trying to manage your weight with simple calorie counting and no other strategies though. It's easy to run out of your calorie allotment early on if you are not making an effort to eat healthy or if you haven't done research on which foods/recipes are more filling on less calories.

My usual strategy is to make use of a calorie counting app that I can constantly update on my phone to see what my remaining calories for the day are as well as different types of exercise throughout the week, so I don't get bored of the routine.

6. Michelle Smith

Michelle Smith New Member

I did calorie counting and it helped but it was tedious and difficult for a lot of homemade ethnic foods which I eat often. I found that learning food is what helped the most. I had to figure out what certain foods are composed of, the ratio of veggies/protein/starch each meal should be, etc. Seeing what a certain amount of calories even looks like was helpful but serving sizes was a lot more helpful. I didn't even realize a cup of rice was so small but now that I'm in proper portions with veggies it's filling.

7. Becky3434

Becky3434 New Member

Calorie counting is my go to plan for weight loss. It's never failed me. Especially when you meal prep it's pretty easy; but if you're like me and are too lazy to do that, get a calorie counting app! It does all the hard work for you so you can track your food throughout the day.

8. Krystyl Chwa

Krystyl Chwa New Member

Calorie counting has been by far the most effective method i've had in losing weight. I use MyFitnessPal to calculate how many calories my body needs to maintain weight, and how many calories my body needs to lose about 2lbs a week. Logging my food has become second nature to me, and it's given me a better sense of how much I eat. I was surprised at how many empty calories I was consuming. Stuff like sugary drinks, chips, candy etc. It was all definitely contributing to my weight gain, so I decided to be more conscious of how many calories I was putting into my body on a daily basis. I do have trouble staying under my calorie goal every single day, and there are weeks where I still gain a pound or two, but my overall weight has been going down. CICO for life!

9. Chelsea K

Chelsea K New Member

I think calorie counting is the best way to lose weight for myself. Every individual is different and not every diet works for everyone though. I think that keeping track of calories is the key to weight loss. Most people are not sure how many calories they are actually consuming and misjudge it. They may think that they aren't eating that many calories but they could be way off. I learned that once I started measuring out my food. I think cardio really helps speeds weight loss along as well when it is paired with a good diet. The diet part is the most important thing though because you can't outrun a bad diet.

10. Panther G

Panther G New Member

I have just started to watch what I eat and count my calories currently. I recently downloaded an app to help me keep track of my calorie intake. Since, downloading the app, I have realized just how many calories are in the foods that I eat. It hasn't helped me to lose any weight yet, but I just started.

11. bairesgirl

bairesgirl New Member

I think calorie counting helps a LOT!
    I used to count calories before getting pregnant and I will start doing it again very soon ( Waiting on my parents to leave, they are visiting now and it is very hard to eat healthy when we go out to eat often or my mom makes my favorite homemade dishes)
    Some people say they get too obsessed when they count calories but it had always worked for me, it is good to know I m not ingesting more calories than what I am supposed to and it is also useful to make sure I ingest the calories I need to and I am not skipping any meals either.

12. Trecie08

Trecie08 New Member

Counting calories and cardio has gotten me to my weight goal in the past but since I have gotten older it seems to be getting much harder for me. I can count calories and do cardio but as soon as I stop one of the two for even a short while my weight goes up so quickly. I have to be consistent and disciplined for it to work. But sometimes life just doesn't permit that. Stuff happens!

13. honestymatters

honestymatters New Member

I have never counted calories and have lost over 90lbs in the last year. I did not do any type of high impact cardio or join a gym. I simply moved a little more, took longer walks, and ate less fatty foods. I focused on consuming more fruits and vegetables. Moderation is the key to true weight loss success, not giving up entirely on the foods you love. I hope this was beneficial to anyone who wanted to lose some weight the healthy way.

14. kara iyere

kara iyere New Member

Calorie counting is a great tool for folks who are looking to loss weight but for me it's difficult.

I don't eat packaged food and I rarely eat out so when I make my meals counting calories can be overwhelming. At one point I was using a food scale to be precise. Like for instance wanting to eat a banana! Those sweet hybrid gems can crush your count instantly if you not careful. Unlike frozen fruits and vegetables fresh foods don't have the labeled facts unless they are packaged. I found myself counting peas by hand and teaching myself how to hand measure like a professional chef when my scales miniature batteries died. All for the sake of hitting a calorie target. It became all to much for me to handle. It would get frustrating when a little meal could turn into a headache. Plus to reach your calorie goals, you mainly eat the same thing day in and day out. Where's the fun in that?! I prefer to eat hearty meals and stress less without placing the numbers before my food every time.

But again, I repeat... Calorie counting works just not for me.

15. dann0dann

dann0dann New Member

Calorie counting is an interesting topic of conversation! There are a few variables for losing weight, in my opinion. Through my research, i have come to the conclusion that on a basic level, losing weight is as simple as managing calories. If you manage to consume less calories in a day than you are using, your body will look towards your fat stores and burn these instead for energy. Of course, the quality of calories is very important. Staying away from fizzy drinks and prepared meals is always a good move. Of course, there are a lot of ways to increase how much energy you use in a day as well. Increasing metabolism through diet, drinking water and working out will all help you burn more energy (calories) every day.

16. ambersvoice

ambersvoice New Member

There are a lot of iPhone applications out today that are great for this. You can just type in your meals and beverages and it does all of the hard work for you! I love it because it tells you your protein intake.

17. 4zoas

4zoas New Member

Calorie counting has worked very well for me. Through the years I'v tried a lot of different fad diets, some were complicates and typically they weren't something I could maintain easily. I know that if I want results without weird dietary restrictions, crazy grocery lists or expensive grocery bills then this is the way to go for me.

I do have to say that as I get older it is crucial that I workout consistently while counting my calories. A fantastic tool is an app I've been using. The app makes it so easy, I put in my food intake, what type of workout I did and it calculates it all for me, it will calculate my carbs, proteins and total fats as well.