Money Tips For Travelers

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ClaireG, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ClaireG

ClaireG Member

Hope that these money tips will help you save some money while traveling and make you trip more enjoyable.

PLANNING

Start with thorough trip planning. Use free destination guides. Buy a guidebook, it will pay for itself within the first day of your trip. Do not forget to buy a travel insurance, it will provide you with peace of mind while on a trip and prevent you from becoming a bankrupt if something happens.

It is becoming a popular trend – to buy your holiday using a credit card. This option allows you to have an official record of your purchases/bookings. Some cards also provide an additional insurance to the holder. American Express lets you transfer your purchasing points to your frequent flier program account. When you purchase an air ticket with MasterCard, the credit company automatically signs you up for an accidental life insurance with $100,000 coverage amount.

In order to save on your trip, travel with a partner(s). You can book a double hotel room for almost the same amount as a single one. By splitting accommodation and dining costs, taxis, car rental fees travelers in a group will save money.

BOOKING

For sightseeing try to travel off-season, usually October through April in the Northern hemisphere and April through October below the equator. You will be able to find cheaper airfare, find more budget rooms, spend less time in lines, and meet more local folks than tourists.

ACCOMMODATION

Keep written records of all accommodations you reserved. Learn the cancellation policies. Usually late cancellations or no shows are charged one night stay. If you have to cancel, try to do it long in advance. Reconfirm all reservations two days in advance by phone.

During summer and weekends year-round, you can get a fancy business hotel room at a cheap one-star hotel price.

DINING

You can save a lot of money by buying food at a local grocery store.

Eat according to the season. Order and buy food that is in season where you travel, it will cut down your dining expenses.

Avoid touristy restaurants, instead eat where local people eat. There you will find better food for less money.

Try to adapt to local cuisine, combine learning the local dining traditions with good prices.

Avoid breakfasts at hotels, they are usually high-priced.

Every country has menu specials. Learn simple words and you can dine well with locals anywhere for under $20.

TRANSPORTATION

Save money by driving in groups. For four people it is generally cheaper to share a rental car than to buy a bus ticket or a rail pass to travel between cities. Avoid renting a car in a big citiy, it is less convenient than using public transit. Airports usually have cheap and regular public transit connections to the town center.

Carefully choose parking spots. Thieves recognize and target tourist cars.

learn your rail options. If you travel a lot, buy rail passes. Three rides generally cost more than a day pass.

In Europe budget airlines can often get you from one city to another faster and cheaper than the train. Beware though: budget airlines often use small airports located far from town, which can cost a extra time and money. You also are allowed less luggage on board for free.

SHOPPING

Use your moneybelt to store the cash safely.

Students, families, and seniors should ask for special discounts.

Understand all fees and expenses. Ask to have all bills itemized. Do your own math when calculating the cost.

Wish you a successful and safe trip.

2. kirbycorpin02

kirbycorpin02 Member

upload_2019-5-21_9-9-16.jpeg
    Travelling can be expensive and when going around the world, looking for the best money saving travel tips and the cheapest way to do it will take you a time to prepare. If you are planning to take your vacation in a few months, here are the tips that will help on your next adventure.

Book your accommodation ahead of time. If you do it during holidays, it is hassle because most of the hotels are fully booked and its time for some renters to increase their fees. During these peak days, lots of destinations, foods, and sometime transports will increase their charges. Be aware of hidden charges from hotels and restaurants. You can buy your own ingredients and cook it your own if permitted. Travel with local public transport. It's better to commute for less expense than to book a rented van. Backpack all your needs when travelling. It's better to buy all things you need like toiletries ahead of time. Price of groceries varies in location.

3. emax2000

emax2000 Member

Spend only when necessary.

4. YayiLilet

YayiLilet New Member

I've been traveling a lot these last two years. In fact, I backpacked for 14 months in the Philippines. I was on my own and only went back home after 10 months to attend the christening of my godson who is also my nephew. After that, I was off again but stayed near enough to go home for Christmas and New Year.

Before I started backpacking in the Philippines, I traveled to seven countries in Southeast Asia. This was in 2017. Then in 2018, I started exploring the provinces of the Philippines. After about eight months on the road, I went and flew to the eighth foreign country I've visited. I stayed for six days in Indonesia and then went back home to the Philippines and continued backpacking.

Being on the road for two years has definitely taught me a lot. From a scared person who was so lost and didn't know what to do, I have now become a pretty confident traveler. I have also learned some ways on how to save money.

When I first started my backpacking adventure, I didn't really have much of a plan. I just went and did it. I didn't even know when I'll be back. I booked hostels and Airbnbs and paid a daily rate. This added up to a lot of money. After a while, I started looking for apartments that would accept a one-month stay. I would then stay in one place for at least a month. Paying the monthly rate saved me tons of money on accommodations.

Another thing I used to do a lot of while traveling was taking taxis, usually not the regular taxis but Uber and Grab. As I didn't know much about the places because I'm new there, it's easier to just take the taxi. This could get pretty expensive though. To save money, I researched on how to use local transportation. It takes a bit of research but it's definitely worth it.

I saved on food by going to the local markets and buying fruits and vegetables there. I loved going to the markets and seeing stuff that's foreign to me. I love trying food from other provinces. I went to restaurants in each province to try their food but ate in only two restaurants per province on average then went to eat in the lesser-priced eateries and fast foods most of the time.

5. MelvinAngelo

MelvinAngelo Member

Travelling expenses its depend Where you are traveled ,, if you travel in near province its so easy to organize but if you travel in out of country it sounds expensive so you need separate budget for that.