Most Effective way to start writing non-fiction

Discussion in 'Nonfiction Writing' started by O.Henry-n-Twain, Jul 25, 2017.

1. O.Henry-n-Twain

O.Henry-n-Twain New Member

The trick is to start your first non-fiction book with a foundation based upon your personal expertise or knowledge base. It makes the writing a bit easier. It is a good way to get your feet wet. To determine if NF is your bailiwick or not
  2. Derk789

Derk789 Member

What are ways to enhance the experience for readers? How can they be taken away by your words?
  3. Peterr

Peterr New Member

title and introduction is the foremost strong step to begin a fiction (on any kind of story) for an inexperienced writer
  4. Afroxyz

Afroxyz New Member

The secret of non-fiction writing, just like every writing is being truthful. Pour yourself out. Leave no detail. Let the Ego stand aside from the Self and let the Self do the writing. Try very much to be impersonal.
  5. Jaw

Jaw New Member

Idea. Main concept of it before going into details and break into little pieces.
  6. jimroseofficial

jimroseofficial New Member

I am interested in this question as well. Life seems to have precluded my seeking any sort of higher education, but I have been devouring narrative non-fiction for the past few years. I would love to figure out how to get something on paper that folks are entertained and informed by, but can't quite get started. As with most things, it might be just a matter of the requisite discipline required to learn a new craft. I hate platitudes, but practice does seem like to only possible way to achieve perfection. I have a background in cooking and am very passionate about food, maybe I should start there...
  7. adamsmom

adamsmom New Member

It's good to write and start with yourself, the one you know best. You have lots of angle that you can share and write and you are able to speak your mind and be able to evaluate and reflect on your life.
  8. alfredamu

alfredamu New Member

I agree with Henry Twain that topics close to home is the way to go. We explain better what we have gone through and understand well, other than juggling foreign ideas. Written work that comes from the heart is easier to write, and better understood by the reader.
    Ruminatress likes this.
  9. ejaysancha123

ejaysancha123 New Member

Gather all your knowledge and opinions to start clearly and make your decision for it and start writing whats on your mind and also your heart.
  10. Ruminatress

Ruminatress New Member

Non-fiction has always been a challenge for me. Not only does it force you to be objective and factual, but it also makes you bare your soul-- at least the majority of its facets. This is so unlike fiction writing, where random imagination always gives me an added boost of inspiration.