Movies or books??

Discussion in 'Books' started by khushi07, Jun 21, 2014.

1. khushi07

khushi07 New Member

2. khushi07

khushi07 New Member

Your favorite book?

3. morgansophia

morgansophia New Member

I personally prefer books, though sometimes the movie can be better. Usually the book is preferred because it is up to the reader's own imagination to create pictures of the characters, based on the words the author has written.

ebo, r2flight and ExpertAdvice like this.
  4. I prefer books over a movie any day. A movie leaves out so many details, even crucial details as to why someone did something, etc, and I hate missing those details. I know a movie has a certain allotted amount of time to air, but missing a crucial detail in a plot loses the whole storyline. I can get into a book better than I can a movie. A book just sucks me in and I cannot wait to turn the page to see what happens next.

5. Evelyn McGregor

Evelyn McGregor New Member

I much prefer books over movies. Movies do not allow you imagination to run wild the way a book does. As you read your imaginations creates pictures in your mind, some of us even hear the voices of the characters as we read. Everyone gets a different experience when reading,, some of us place ourself in the story either as someone viewing the happenings from a distance, or as one of the characters. A book opens new doors for us.

AnnaGrace H Hezekiah likes this.
  6. Carol

Carol New Member

Lately in my spare time , I have actually enjoyed reading some hardback novels. Not only did it relax me, but it also improves my thought process. I found my brain working harder to grasp the conversation! It sharpens skills .

ebo and ExpertAdvice like this.
  7. Vineet Digga

Vineet Digga New Member

I used to think movies were better before I had done serious reading. I thought why waste your time by reading the whole book when you can understand the same by watching a three hour movie. This was before I read books from where my favorite movies were adapted, like the Harry Potter series, or Lolita. The only movie in my opinion that has come even close to its book is The Godfather, beside this every movie has always had this sense of needing something more.

8. Brian3265

Brian3265 New Member

Honestly, I feel that movies are a great way to at least portray the book on the big screen. But, all in all, I don't believe that movies ever do the book justice. Like, it always leaves out the intricate details that you would only know if you had read the book. Movies are a great source of revenue though. I just feel that it's impossible to fit the content of a great novel into a movie lasting approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes or so.

9. ksha001

ksha001 New Member

I think it depends on the person and their imagination. Personally, I enjoy books better because I like to imagine and recreate the image that I believe the author is trying to convey.

10. Skill Streaks

Skill Streaks New Member

I prefer books. They are able to go much more in depth and provide more supporting details for the story compared to movies. Also, movies often leave many important facts out, sometimes changing the whole story altogether.

11. RDJ

RDJ New Member

i prefer books over movies for the reason that reading gives you the power to imagine the characters,the different situations and allows you to guess what could happen next unlike movies...that dont jst give you the time to think..because before you can imagine or think something..the scene or situation is already in front of you leaving you devoid of imagination and thinking....

12. RDJ

RDJ New Member

i prefer books over movies for the reason that reading gives you the power to imagine the characters,the different situations and allows you to guess what could happen next unlike movies...that dont jst give you the time to think..because before you can imagine or think something..the scene or situation is already in front of you leaving you devoid of imagination and thinking....

13. RDJ

RDJ New Member

14. RDJ

RDJ New Member

15. enthusiastic

enthusiastic New Member

I used to love watching movies not until my first Sidney Sheldon experience (MASTER OF THE GAME). Reading that book made me a character, a part of the story. Everything that unfolded throughout that book went according to how i would picture it, which is limitless. No amount of cinematography would ever compare.

16. Cbend22

Cbend22 New Member

I'm always asking my kids this question. After they've watched a movie that I know was made based off a book, I'm in their face with the "Did you read the book? Which one do you like better?" question. They almost always say the movie, and I always argue with the back! For me, the book is always better. Simply because it is whatever I want it to be. The movies almost never get the character that played the scene in my mind right. The connection I feel when reading about the character is almost never matched when watching the movie. There are some exceptions, but few.

17. ANDR3SAS

ANDR3SAS New Member

I'd say it is always the movie that is better, because I really don't like silence. Reading the book takes a lot more time than watching a shorter movie which is already better that the book. Book sometimes can be different than the movie, but from my experience I think that movies are always better than books.

18. Helen Akinade

Helen Akinade New Member

To me, I would prefer a book over the movie any day. Although the movie does give you a visual, so does the certain book you read. If the author uses Imagery, you are able to picture the image that the author is trying to convey. You can also feel it , distinct;y smell or taste it even if enough detail is given and I think that that is one of the few things a movie cannot really do for you. All it really gives you is a visual in my opinion.

19. Qube

Qube New Member

Normally i would prefer to read than watch movies, since it draws me into the story and makes me feel like i'm living inside the world. Movies provide a different view of entertainment and they are both great ways to enjoy your time. It's difficult to say though which is generally better and this is not really a "black and white" question, for example i watched How to Train your Dragon 2 which is absolutely amazing, but if i watched a different movie at the cinema i would probably have preferred to read one of my fantasy novels.

20. Gigacule

Gigacule New Member

Depends.

A movie can be much better than a book if the actors are chosen correctly and some of them really can bring out the character. Some books are just better off being movies though, nobody would read a Transformer novel since 99% of it is special effects and to truly appreciate that it has to go to the big screen. The movie, if watched at the cinema, kind of immerses you into the story because you see the whole thing in one sitting, so you don't have any mind "breaks" while taking a break from the book, though that may vary person to person.

The book allows the reader to exercise his / her imagination. Imagine how to setting looks like, the characters, the voices, action scenes and whatnot, and makes it feel quite personal when reading a book. You can also do it anywhere, which is a huge plus. Movies are often shortened and almost never excess an hour and a half to two hours as a rule of thumb, so plot details may be omitted and altered in the movie, and are usually. This is where the book shines, and except for the few books, nearly all books tell a better story where the author can write any length he / she desires, and allows for much more character development and plot details, making the whole thing just seem more complete. Take Harry Potter, and you'll find that watching the movie before the book is a good idea because a lot of the book is omitted in the movie to save time.

daveincarthage likes this.
  21. Djana01

Djana01 New Member

From the books I did read before a movie was made into those, I would say I really prefer books than movies. Like the famous Harry Potter and Twilight series. Both series were a great reading jewels that really captures imagination. Every detail were written beautifully and you couldn't have but wonder what an exciting way to live on those scenarios through your own imagination. But the movies made based on it really fail in comparison in every aspect. So many details, scenarios and important aspects were not present making the movie so dull and very disappointing.

22. Qube

Qube New Member

Normally i would prefer to read than watch movies, since it draws me into the story and makes me feel like i'm living inside the world. Movies provide a different view of entertainment and they are both great ways to enjoy your time. It's difficult to say though which is generally better and this is not really a "black and white" question, for example i watched How to Train your Dragon 2 which is absolutely amazing, but if i watched a different movie at the cinema i would probably have preferred to read one of my fantasy novels.

23. Amanda Craig

Amanda Craig New Member

I would have to say books. Movies are definitely awesome to watch when they make them based on the books, just because you get that visual and it gives you an idea of what the characters would look like and the settings and everything.
    The thing about the movies that are based on the books is that they leave a lot of stuff out and the movie always feels rushed. The books always go into better detail and are just way better than the movies, but the movies are really awesome to watch. An example would be the movie "Gatsby". That movie is an amazing movie and has an amazing setting and cast with music.

24. Carlos Eduardo

Carlos Eduardo New Member

Depends on so many factors...

25. Keyierra Ball

Keyierra Ball New Member

This choice is purely up to preference. While most people enjoy movies, not everyone likes to read. I feel that movies and books offer different levels of entertainment. Movies are the simplest to interpret. They offer the story right there for your eyes to take in. Books, on the other hand are a little more hard work. Which is why some people don't even put forth the effort. Reading requires you to take in the words with your eyes, and then make some sort of understanding out of what you've just read. For me, it's a wonderful experience, but because of the elements that make both movies and books great, I couldn't choose between the two.

26. AprilMHunt

AprilMHunt New Member

It depends on content. I read a lot of self-help, self-development. Obviously these wouldn't be very good movies. For a busy mom like me, I don't find that I have a ton of time to sit and read a book and really get involved and let the story take me away like I did when I was younger. For me, it makes reading not as enjoyable. For that reason, I really appreciate a good movie as a nice short distraction in the meantime.

daveincarthage likes this.
  27. daveincarthage

daveincarthage New Member

Given the time, I think I'd much rather read books than watch a movie as you can use your imagination.

In the past, I sold old books and magazines for a living at flea markets and also owned a book store of my own once or twice.

Currently I have over 300 print books at home and over 1000 books in my Kindle account.

I love movies though so it would be a hard choice if I had to give up one or the other.

28. Jalene

Jalene New Member

Of course it's books! My imagination is better than the movies, LOL. Another thing is that reading a books is a good practice for intellectual perfection.

29. Alicia

Alicia New Member

Definitely books. Books always have much more content and details than the movie. It's good for the mind to read and imagine in your mind the world of the book. Movies sometimes leave out important parts from the book too. When you watch the movie first instead of reading the book than you can't truly appreciate the story. In my opinion read the book frst then see the movie.

30. Drblake

Drblake New Member

Books by far, they provide so much more information then a movie could.