Movies or books??

Discussion in 'Books' started by khushi07, Jun 21, 2014.

1. JeanneKA

JeanneKA New Member

I prefer books over a movie any day. A movie leaves out so many details, even crucial details as to why someone did something, etc, and I hate missing those details. I know a movie has a certain allotted amount of time to air, but missing a crucial detail in a plot loses the whole storyline. I can get into a book better than I can a movie. A book just sucks me in and I cannot wait to turn the page to see what happens next.

2. JeanneKA

JeanneKA New Member

I prefer books over a movie any day. A movie leaves out so many details, even crucial details as to why someone did something, etc, and I hate missing those details. I know a movie has a certain allotted amount of time to air, but missing a crucial detail in a plot loses the whole storyline. I can get into a book better than I can a movie. A book just sucks me in and I cannot wait to turn the page to see what happens next.

3. Cervanic13

Cervanic13 New Member

Almost (emphasis almost) always prefer books. But there have been exceptions. I am not into comic books anymore, but I love several movies based on them. On the downside, some of the new comic based movies are so different - it's like the screenwriters never opened the book!

And don't get me started about the Harry Potter books verses the movies.

But mostly books. I find it far easier to engage and suspend my disbelief when reading.

4. KenBrace

KenBrace New Member

I don't think I could choose. They are both great in their own way.

One side of me likes taking my shoes off, cuddling up in a freshly cleaned room at night while its raining, and reading an interesting book. It's a warm, cozy feeling.

The other side of me likes getting together with the family in the living room, popping some popcorn, turning off the lights, and watching a good movie.

5. Sunshine24

Sunshine24 New Member

I personally prefer a good read. A book allows me to build the character in my mind as I wish. I do also enjoy movies, however if a series has come out that I am excited about I will wait on watiching the movies in order to finish the book series first.

6. Smygliss

Smygliss New Member

For me personally books first, then the movie. I often think the book was better, but then that probably has to do with my imagination filling in the gaps that a movie can't. Also with a book you can be *in* someones head to get a glimpse of their thoughts and what motivates them, often that nuance is lost in translation from book to film.

7. asereht1970

asereht1970 Member

I really prefer books over movies anytime. Reading books gives me the power to use my own imagination. I can sometimes make the book as if it were my own story and I'm the leading lady.

8. CachinGarate

CachinGarate New Member

I prefer books over anyday. A movie leaves out so many details, even crucial details as to why someone did something, ect, and I hate missing those details. I know a movie has a certain allotted amount of time to air, but missing a crucial detail in a plot loses the whole storyline. I can get into a book better than I can a movie. A book just sucks me in and I can not wait to turn the page to see what happens next

9. cynamarie

cynamarie New Member

Books are usually always better than the movies. I must read the book prior to watching the movie, and trust me I'm always disappointed. Twilight was the biggest disappointment because everyone in that movie made it look as if speaking was painful to do, but what was really painful was me watching it! I did recently read "If I Stay" By Gayle Foreman and I for once, I was pleasantly surprised with the movie. Another surprise was "The Vampire Diaries" and "True Blood." Both of those books, in my opinion, were written terribly! Yet, the television series were phenomenal! So in my humble opinion, I would say that books are typically better than movies but television series may be better than some books!

10. Tealton

Tealton New Member

If a book makes it to being a movie I want to read the book first. The book always gives more information and when watching the movie you notice so much that gets left out.

11. Torialou

Torialou New Member

If we are talking about a movie versions of books, then I would always say a book! My reasoning for this is because when you are reading a book, the author gives you guidance but your own imagination is left to interpret this, you have a lot of freedom to see things how you want them to be, imagine people to speak with a certain accent or look a specific way. A book also has more time to slowly build plots and introduce us to characters, this allows us to feel like we know them better and feel more part of the actual story rather than a viewer of it. With a movie version you are viewing the director, producer and performers interpretation of the book, it is basically how they envision everything, nothing is left to your imagination. Also a movie needs to be kept to a specific timescale, so they cut out any scenes they feel are least important, these might be really exciting parts to the story but not key to the plot so can be cut to keep the movie to its time limit.

12. CarlaBellini

CarlaBellini New Member

Books are usually always better than the movies. I must read the book prior to watching the movie, and trust me I am always disappointed becasue everyone inthat movie made it look as if speaking was paintful to do, bit what was really paintful was me watching it! I did recently read "If I Stay" by Gayke Foreman and I for once, I was pleasantly surprised was "The Vampired Diaries" and "True Blood". Both of those books, on my opinion, were written terribly! Yet, the television series were phenomenal! So in mu humble opinion, I would say that books are typically better than movies but television series may be better than soem books.

13. cara09

cara09 New Member

A movie can add to a book given that the people who orchestrated it took the liberty in adding creative interpretations, without necessarily deviating from the idea of what it's suppose to show. The Hunger Games is a good example. It altered some incidents, but pulled the right strings of emotions as an audience at places you also encountered as a reader. Unfortunately, it's a usual case of disappointment when watching movie adaptations from books because the latter holds so much verbal beauty that can never be captured by cameras. The most you can hope are good directors and actors.
    Books can exude so many feelings that not all movies can effectively portray.

14. MARY MARASIGAN

MARY MARASIGAN New Member

I prefer a book. it's more detailed than a movie. though a movie shoes a virtual image of what's in a book, through prper and imaginative description of a book's author, image of all the characters, scenes and different effects become pictured in a readers' mind.

15. RobertEvans

RobertEvans New Member

A movie can add to a book given that the people who orchestrated it took the liberty in adding creative interpretations, without necessarily deviating from the idea of what it's suppose to show. The Hunger Games is a good example. It altered some incidents, but pulled the right strings of emotions as an audience at places you also encountered as a reader. Unfortunately, it's a usual case of disappointment when watching movie adaptations from books because the latter holds so much verbal beauty that can never be captured by cameras. The most you can hope are good directors and actors. Books can exude so many feelings that not all movies can effectively portray.

16. theshortcoconut

theshortcoconut New Member

This is like comparing oranges to broccoli. They're totally different!

I love them both equally. There really is no comparing them, one gives you the power to imagine a scenario and paint a picture in your head while the other is painted by another creative mind and showcased to you for you to experience and enjoy.

I look at them as completely different experiences.

17. vickdeh

vickdeh New Member

Books. This is because they contain educative materials, which are useful for people who read them.

18. Krrizal

Krrizal New Member

I much prefer books to movies. I can read at my own pace and not worry about missing crucial details, since I can always go back and re-read. I have more time to truly delve into the world that the author is creating and become a part of it. Plus, books encourage me to work out my mental muscles - I can literally build a mental movie just from reading! Movies are also ridiculously expensive, especially the big-shot ones they have in the theaters. Why pay over ten dollars for a two-hour entertainment spree when you can pay the same amount (or even less!) for a book that will absorb you for days on end, and whose lessons will stick with you for a long, long time?

19. Tanya

Tanya New Member

The book is always far better than the movie in my opinion. I always feel somewhat let down by the movie. The movie just seems so limited in how it makes me feel compared to how the book makes me feel. So much is lost in the transition.

20. kristinecushing

kristinecushing New Member

Веfоrе thе Internet wаs аs ubiquitous аs іt іs nоw, І personally preferred books mаіnlу fоr thеіr ability tо provide іnfоrmаtіоn оr entertainment оn thе gо. Вut аll thаt hаs changed nоw bесаusе wіth а basic Smartphone, оnе hаs access tо vast resources оf multimedia. І hаvе eventually соmе tо realize thаt І absorb іnfоrmаtіоn better whеn іt іs presented wіth audio, video аnd text. Ѕо watching movies/animation vіа а video portal lіkе YouTube іs mу current choice оvеr books.

21. enea

enea New Member

I currently like reading books and I think reading a book i way better than watching a film! There is not the same think as reading.When you read a book you get into your own world and imagination1

22. jsloanga485

jsloanga485 New Member

I prefer books over movies. I prefer a book over the movie, because with a book, it is more detailed and we are required to use our imagination to picture the scene that is going on in the book. However, with a movie, you are given a full picture on screen and you are not required to use your imagination. Also, movies tend to ruin the books!

23. abhiraj

abhiraj New Member

i prefer books because we keep thinking about it every time we read a book. but a movie remains in our mind for a long time. this is the difference . but books make your language accent fluent.

24. KRDG#1

KRDG#1 New Member

I like both books and movies. I like to read the books because they have more detail, thoughts, and also you can use your imagination more but movies I like to actually see and watch whats going on and see the action happening.

25. jroses

jroses New Member

I prefer books though I do enjoy both. I like books because there are chapters or even little tidbits that are there that may make me laugh or tear at my heartstrings. A good example of this would be Haymitch from The Hunger Games. I remember laughing when I read that he fell off stage drunk and I was hoping that would transfer to the movies, which it never did.

26. zackzakwan1122

zackzakwan1122 New Member

i am a movie guy so i preferred movies over books , there's a lot reason why are movies are better than books , in my opinion movies are more fun than books because u can actually see what the director are trying to describe on the story , basically movies are the same story as the book but movies are animated.

27. mehegehe

mehegehe New Member

Depends. I read the Harry Potter books before they even considered making movies. And the books were way more involving than the movies. They were well made and all but the now I can't unsee the director's view on things. I've forgotten how I imagined it. On the other hand, I started watching Game of Thrones when season 3 came out. After seeing maybe 1 or 2 seasons I found out about the books. Never even bothered to try reading them. The series are perfectly made, with great cast and beautiful visuals. Also, each book is 600+ pages, no time for that.
    That's just about these two. Otherwise, if the story can fit into a single movie, maybe it's better to read the books first.

28. vegaspeed

vegaspeed New Member

If you mean between novels and their adaptation into films, I normally prefer the novels since there are subtleties in writing that can't be translated visually: characters and situations are more complex and denser in writing than they are on film. There are exceptions of course: for example, I prefer the film 'Get Carter' with Michael Caine to the original novel by Ted Lewis (Jack's Return Home) even though the ending in the book is more ambiguous.

29. tshmck

tshmck New Member

Honestly I really love films because I've always been a very visual person. I'm quite picky with my books and how they are written, so if the words don't jump off of the page and paint a picture in my head I can't stick with it. When it comes to movies (especially ones adapted from books) I get very invested in them. I'm amazed at the way movies create another world, that's why it kills me when I see a terrible one. Unless I'm laughing at it's terribleness of course, but overall I pick films over books.

30. Cereus

Cereus New Member

I honestly prefer books over films because more can be accomplished in text rather than film format. Films are often on a strict budget and also comprises of a huge team of people to get a vision accomplished into 1-2 hours at most as the completed product. Books on the other hand don't require a huge budget, deadline and cast in order to create an entire world with complex characters. Not only that, but books also have a larger amount of depth that films can't capture such as important symbolism and in depth characterization. So much personal thought and back stories for characters are often missing in films that are often better explored in books.