phpBB.

Discussion in 'Website Management & Blogging' started by ImALovelyBoy, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

Okay, I've used phpBB for a few of my forums and until a couple of months back it was the only software I used...

What I want to know is, have any of you ever used phpBB, what do you think of it, and what's your favourite and least favourite thing about the software?

2. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

I dont like PHPBB, I prefer MyBB of the free forum softwares

3. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

I used to really like phpBB, but I do prefer MyBB now. It's just generally a lot easier to use and setup, and the permissions aren't as complicated as the phpBB permissions system.

4. timestandstill

timestandstill New Member

When I see phpBB forums, I think to myself "Gee, that forum admin is a noob"

5. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

Why? phpBB is a lot more advanced than MyBB and SMF.

6. timestandstill

That is completely untrue. List ten things phpBB can do that neither MyBB nor SMF can.

7. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

No. What I mean is, it's more advanced. Like in phpBB, you have to do manual code edits to add mods. You don't have to do that in MyBB or SMF.

8. timestandstill

That doesn't make it "more advanced", that makes installations and upgrades a huge pain. The MyBB equivelents of all phpBB mods can be installed with a single click, with the end result being exactly the same, and you're saying that makes phpBB "more advanced"?

9. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

More advanced for users is what I mean. Like, you need to be more advanced to be able to use it.

10. timestandstill

That's a bad thing. Editing files is just unnecessary work when other forum software uses hook points.

11. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

That's exactly what I was saying. Read the thread. You said you see phpBB forums and think "gee, what a noob", and I said you need to be advanced to use it so why would they be a noob? God...

12. timestandstill

It doesn't take a genius to read "Open /folder/folder/file.php and paste the following code right after this line"

13. ImALovelyBoy

ImALovelyBoy New Member

You just contradicted yourself... Stop posting, please.

14. timestandstill

"Pain in the ass" doesn't mean "difficult".

15. Angelbaby

Angelbaby New Member

Im running PHPbb and finding it great, Ill admit - Im not too good with code and sometimes get a bit stuck on how to do things but its all a good learning experience. Does that make me a noob? do you look at my forum and think im a noob?! Because i try and make it look as good as i can - even though i AM a noob :)

16. Silent-Merged

Silent-Merged New Member

I think phpBB is much better. Here is my current project on phpBB:

http://www.theKado.net/theKadoFinal.png

Also phpBB is better because it is easily customizable. I don't need to know php to create a custom style.

17. timestandstill

Name one forum software that requires you to know PHP to make a custom style.

18. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

phpBB doesn't even have a basic portal by default, let alone a WYSIWYG editor.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great piece of software, but I just don't see why simple features like the two above can't be implemented into phpBB without needing to add them as a MOD. Even thread prefixes require a MOD on phpBB. MyBB has all those three features by default.

It does take a lot more time to add MODs to phpBB, but they are usually worth the effort in the end. phpBB has a much better blog MOD than MyBB does.

Don't think I'm taking sides though, I use phpBB for a current forum I own, the reason being is some of the MODs available for it, which haven't been made for MyBB yet.

19. Silent-Merged

Silent-Merged New Member

XENFORO.

20. Trombones13

Trombones13 Forum & Blog Owners

Absolutely false. I don't know PHP and made the custom style you see here using only XF's style properties and CSS/HTML edits to the templates. Absolutely zero PHP editing has been done (which is good, since I don't know any).

21. The creator

The creator New Member

I like phpbb but now when I have used xenforo I think I would like to have Xen then phpbb.Though phpbb is nice free forum software in my views.

22. el canadiano

el canadiano Forum & Blog Owners

Simple Machines forum.

23. Spangle

Spangle New Member

I find phpBB like a German car, very over engineered, If I could afford it I would switch to Premium software tomorrow, phpBB is cumbersome, adding MODS is a nightmare, AutoMoD is OK, but once you have added one MOD using it, it is a risk, and you will at some time need to do manual edits.
    I also find the graphics very constraining, and limiting in the design, unless you are a coding guru

24. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Careful comparing it to all German cars, because some German cars are quite luxurious :laugh:

25. Spangle

Spangle New Member

you have to admit they are over engineered though, I mean do Differentials actually need two planet gears ?

26. Pirate

Pirate New Member

I prefer phpbb to mybb.

27. jack

jack New Member

I like phpBB but picked Simple Machines Forum because I was able to add a mod in about 30 seconds.

28. Brandon-Merged

Brandon-Merged New Member

phpBB is quite a bit better looking then I once remembered it to be ages ago. But still I plan to upgrade to vBulletin or Xenforo ("looks really good"). Today I even had somebody trying to sell me a vB license because they wanted to change to Xenforo. I guess it must be the in thing now, guess I will have to give it a try someday.

But I do understand people wanting to leave vBulltin after the changes that came about recently. A company yanking our licensees out from under us and putting out a more inferior product then it once was.

The phpBB system seems kind of cumbersome in some aspects but seems quick and easy to learn and for mods to use. The mods and addons are not as great as others out there. I think this is the greatest flaw of the system which is the community behind it.

29. Petert

Petert Forum & Blog Owners

You can pick up vBulletin licenses at as much as 50% off when you buy on the secondary market, but you have to be careful to buy from someone you know and trust because there's a lot of scamming going on with this currently.

30. JustGfx

JustGfx New Member

I used phpBB before, and it's a great software if you have enough money to put into it. I mean, if you get a custom theme done it makes it look a thousand times better. The thing I dislike though is the process of installing mods. It's a pain in the butt and I hope they change this is the future.