Punctuation and spelling challenges

Discussion in 'Freelance Writing Challenges' started by Photon1, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Photon1

Photon1 New Member

When you look online, especially on freelance writing sites, it's hard to ignore the fact that most writers still face punctuation and spelling errors. This can be compared to a wild fire spreading across the net.

To avoid this, many writing softwares like Spell checker and others have been created, but many new writers still tend to ignore such guidance systems, pouring in error after error!

So, with all this, what more can be done to help our new and budding writers with so much determination but only limited by writing errors? Don't get me wrong; I'm not perfect myself!

Em Jay likes this.
  2. Yummy Fiend

Yummy Fiend New Member

Yeah, you've made quite a few errors yourself. I think the best thing you can do to get good at spelling, grammar, and punctuation is to read, read, read! You gain true mastery of the language by being exposed to it everyday, by attuning yourself to the nuances of it. I'm a published poet, and I was the spelling bee champion of my high school, but I never went under any training except for a childhood spent reading.

If we can get more people to read, and to read voraciously, we'll be seeing a lot less errors while reviewing written work.

Noel Angeles likes this.
  3. Stacey Wing

Stacey Wing New Member

I too have seen many writing and punctuation errors not only on freelance writing sites but in ebooks that are printed on Amazon. I love to read and while I have made errors, I have worked at using Spell Checker and Grammarly just to be safe. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and I have left bad reviews due to this.

It seems like nowadays nobody reads. They are all to busy with their lives or gaming systems. The written word can teach you a lot. However, I am a bit of a perfectionist so when I see that I am weak in an area I tend to work at making it a strength.

4. Noel Angeles

Noel Angeles Member

I usually commit more mistakes when I'm using a smartphone or a tablet, usually the autocorrect features are the main problem, sometimes the margins and punctuations. If it goes unnoticed during my editing then I just edit it again until it becomes perfect.

These problems occur less when I'm using a laptop. I really don't use word checker or any programs for spelling or grammar because if your a writer, you should know how to construct sentences and spell correctly in the first place. Using those programs tend to dampen my confidence in my writing skills.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. Em Jay

Em Jay Member

I'm less concerned with blogs, commenters, and citizen journalists (to an extent) making typos. What concerns me greatly is the increasing frequency of errors in mainstream outlets. Established news organizations should not be cutting costs on editing. They have become nothing more than money-spinning businesses. Between their new lack of care for printed language, and their openly propagandist agendas, they will spell their own demise and I will be watching with glee.

6. Em Jay

Em Jay Member

Then you should work without them, but still run your writing through a quality check when you're finished.