Quit smoking

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by vobor, Jul 2, 2013.

1. vobor

vobor New Member

I'm trying to quit smoking: 15 days now I do not smoke a cigarette.

Considering that I smoked about 40 cigarettes a day are satisfied with the outcome but now the urge to smoke is coming back persistently and temptation and strong.

Do you have any good advice for me to permanently remove the temptation of smoking?

2. pas73

pas73 New Member

Congratulations on 15 days of being smoke free! It's a challenge and you should be commended on your accomplishments thus far! What's your support system like? Are you surrounded by people who can cheer you on and be a sounding board when you think of giving in? you didn't mention if you are getting any assistance from medication,gums, or patches? These work differently for different people but can also be very effective. My husband quit using Chantix and was very successful. I would also suggest free support sites, smokefree.gov is a good site and each site, community has their own sites as well. Smoking is so much about the muscle memory and habit as it is about the addiction. Find something to replace the smoking habit. Using something that you can also hold in your hands helps. Try to pick a new healthful habit to substitute instead. Most importantly, take it one day at a time and don't get down on yourself. Everyone is different be proud of yourself, if you do lapse then tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up. Try to stay positive, get plenty of rest and eat healthy. Keep telling yourself you will succeed and you will ;).

3. vobor

vobor New Member

Thanks for the advice and words of appreciation and comfort.
    To tell the truth I do not use any medication: it all happened so simple and natural, without any effort on my part.

4. JennCole

JennCole New Member

Wow! Fifteen days! You're almost over the hump, so don't give up! I found that staring at the cigarette when I was tempted and imagining all of the damage that stupid cigarette could do helped me stay strong. I also sometimes set limits to overcome, and then I kept extending them. For instance, I would tell myself that if I really had to have one, I'd wait an hour. When the hour was up, I would realize that it wasn't that bad and extend it one more hour. That way, I never felt as if I absolutely couldn't smoke, and it helped me push on. Distraction really helps, too! I would do any activity that I didn't associate with smoking when I was feeling weak like showering, cooking, or even taking a nap, and I would avoid any activity that I did associate with smoking like talking on the phone outside or drinking. Definitely do not allow any smoking inside your home or car. Those are the two places that you'll be most of the time, so it will definitely help. Good luck!!

5. vobor

vobor New Member

Yes, indeed, at home and in the car the temptation is strong. Luckily so far I resist ... I resist ... I resist ..

6. InfoSponge

InfoSponge New Member

:cry::cry: My expression when I read this: " Considering that I smoked about 40 cigarettes a day..."
    Jeez, what was stressing that much to smoke that much??!!! Seriously, that was overkill, and that you've pulled 15 days of not smoking is no mean feat.

Congratulations for the tough effort, I know because I was once a major chain smoker, but honie your record slashes mine flat.

Nobody ever believes how I quit smoking, but it was just a matter of switching something off in my mind, and I can vow that immediately thereafter, even the smell of 2nd hand smoke would literally nauseate me.

What I learned tho, is that you have to substitute with something, you can't just stop smoking and not compensate your body for the dependency already formed on nicotine.

If you want a really truly wholesome approach, first detox. Major serious HEALTHY detox. This way, you rid your body of the toxins making it naturally not want any more toxins. Once your system is cleaned out, your urges will naturally change to healthy cravings.

Try this little trick: Take lots and lots of natural fruit juice, yoghurt, vegetables, and fruits - not forgetting gallons of water. In fact, everytime you get a craving, try drinking a fruit juice instead, or yoghurt or milk.

You will also need to work on your lungs, I remember really panting each time I took the stairs to my apartment as though I'd run some.
    Try cardio exercises, jogging in the morning is all it takes, this will help open up your lungs, get your blood circulating and hence enabling your body to self-regulate and cleanse itself - I always insist on the wonders of cardio.

You will struggle at first, getting really tired, losing breath and all that, but you'll definitely get better with time.
    All the best and update me on your progress, I'd really love to help even just 1 more person quit smoking. It changed my life :)

7. InfoSponge

InfoSponge New Member

If you keep up the discipline in a lifestyle change, your body will slowly accustom to the new healthy ways, such that right then even if you take that puff, something in your metabolism will repel the smoke and you'll definitely feel it, like a disgusting feeling (what am I smoking, yuck!)

Trust me, I'm speaking from experience. I never knew quitting could be so easy, but your appetite will do a number on you. That's why you need to substitute with all the healthy goodies of fruits and veggies and milk/yoghurt especially each time the craving comes.

Just try this and let me know how it's going. If I can help one more person quit smoking, I'd be more than honored. The benefits I realized after quitting are immense to say the least. From glowing skin, to increased vigor and vitality, to better breathing, feeling so good euphoric even since the body cleaned up so much it gave me a natural high.

I'm a good swimmer but recall struggling with that too when I was a smoker. My skin was sallow and dry but quickly improved on its own with no effort on my part other than the healthy lifestyle change and tips I've outlined for you in my posts. I can't begin to tell you all the wonderful changes I experienced just from this approach, and I can't believe I used to smoke that sh!t because right now I can not only stand the smell of a cigarette, but it actually makes me dizzy, nauseous like I want to puke (oops).

I could go on and on but all the best!!! Take heart, and know what you're doing is for the best no matter how hard it gets especially when stress triggers creep in. Your body will love and reward you for quitting smoking.

8. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

If you are still around, OP, I would suggest you read Allen Carr's original book. If you Google you'll find out about him. It is a very witty book, and very interesting. He is not preachy. He speaks from experience, as a previous heavy smoker. But, a word of warning, if you do read it, and start smoking again, you put yourself in a worse predicament than ever.
    Technically you are supposed to still be smoking when you read the book. But that does not mean start again! The book makes a very good mental reinforcement.

Also, if you can find someone who can do it, auricular acupuncture is helpful. You may be able to get it done, no charge, at your local addiction services, or else by a private practitioner.

9. Bobbo

Bobbo New Member

Thirty years ago I was smoking 60 cigarettes a day. I was determined to give up bu this seemed a daunting task. Instead of saying to myself that I am going to give up smoking, I said, I am not going to smoke today. Next day, I would congratulate myself on not smoking the day before and say I am not going to smoke today. Take each day. Looking at the long term will just frighten you into the I MUST HAVE A CIGARETTE thoughts.

10. Cheyenne Benyi

Cheyenne Benyi New Member

Congratulations on being that successful! Going from 40 a day to none is a great accomplishment! I would suggest getting an electric cigarette. Im sure others have suggested this alternative and you may think that it wouldnt work. It actually does though! Smoking for me was alway a hand habit, so as long as you have something in your hands, it should take your mind off smoking an actual cigarette..

Keep up with the good work, it is totally worth it in the end!

11. BrokenMeadows

BrokenMeadows New Member

I quit much the same as you- cold turkey with no aids. I did read Allan Carr's book, "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking." His book is quite preachy and self-righteous, and I found it extremely difficult to read. However, it made some very valid points that changed the way I thought about smoking.

The only other things to do are surround yourself with support, and keep yourself distracted. Take up a hobby like knitting, that keeps your hands and mind busy. Pick up any hobby that you can't walk away from in the middle of a project. For example, if you do choose knitting, and the urge to smoke strikes, you'll have to finish the row you're working on before you can set it down and go smoke. By that time the urge should've passed, and you can quickly start a new row before it returns. Any hobby that keeps your hands and mind occupied will work.

Make sure everyone in your life knows that you are trying to quit, and will support you if you speak openly about cravings. Carrying gum with you for when a craving strikes also helps. Pinpoint the times when you used to smoke the most- maybe on drives, or with your morning coffee- and either have someone to call during those times, or something to distract you.

Good luck!

12. Quitting smoking is definitely hard and I commend you on the 15 days of being smoke-free! Doing this is not a joke and you have managed on reaching this far.

But, may I ask how do you plan on quitting smoking on the next days? How are you coping with this situation? What have you done on the last 15 days wherein you are trying to quit smoking?

A for assessment. It is important to assess yourself first so as to keep you inspired on doing something that would be difficult to do in the long run. I am not a smoker, but I know how this would be hard for you since I know friends or relatives that are trying to this, too. Ask yourself this question, "Why do I want to this?"

B for balance. You should not stop smoking immediately - believe me the consequences are so overwhelming that you would not handle it. This will take time and eventually, you will realize the benefits of doing this if you know how to do things in a balanced way. You should try focusing yourself on doing things that mean a lot to you.

C for coping. Everybody needs a hand when they are going through something. And, having support system is extremely important because they will provide you emotional support that you will be needing in the long run. Remember, you should know who to trust and who to talk to in times like this.

Lastly, you should practice the gradual way of stopping smoking. For example, on the first day, you should count the number of sticks you are smoking and reduce it by 5 from day to day. This will help prevent withdrawal symptoms that will not help you in continuing this.

I hope this will help you and if you have questions, you may ask me more. Good job and keep up the good work!

13. Colfgg

Colfgg New Member

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest thing to do both physically and mentally. Heroin addiction is about as hard to quit as nicotine addiction. The only option that seemed to have been left out are electric cigarettes.

I am not talking about the fragrant tubes you can see at the convenience store. I am talking about real electronic cigarettes that you can buy online. The cigarette is a unit. You just have to fill it up with flavors like chocolate, banana or mint. You can also mix those flavors up. I remember trying cocao mint and it was delicious. There is no nicotine, is believed to be harmless and allows you to keep the pleasure of smoking. It is possible to add nicotine in the mixture if it is used to control urges.

It might be a fun tool for you! ;)

14. Shira47

Shira47 New Member

I'm going to have to go against the crowd here and say that I don't think electronic cigarettes are a very good idea, especially for someone who has been smoke-free for 15 days. You're past the worst part of the nicotine withdrawals (the first 72 hours). Even for someone who doesn't have 15 days under their belt, e-cigarettes are probably a bad idea. They still contain nicotine, a deadly poison, and they are only prolonging your addiction. Unfortunately the only way to quit smoking is to gather the willpower and quit smoking.

Health experts and regulatory authorities have expressed serious doubts about the claims that electronic cigarettes are totally safe, and the truth is that we won't know for sure until they've been on the market longer.

I quit smoking about two years ago and found that juicing was the secret. I made a fresh fruit & veggie juice blend every two hours or so - there's something about that great burst of nutrition that mellows the cravings. Plus it keeps your mind focused on the fact you're trying to get healthy.

Best of luck to you!

15. Amankee

Amankee Member

I am trying to quit smoking but it is not happening today. After fifteen days, the nicotine is out of your system so the cravings must be psychological. I had quit a few months ago and decided that one or two a week while at a friend's home would be OK. I broke down yesterday and bought a pack and I am back at it. Quitting was hard for me and I was depressed for awhile. Now I get to go through it again. Resist your cravings.

16. writetrack

writetrack New Member

Until recently, I was a pack a day smoker for twenty years. In Australia, they have a nicotine inhaler to help. It works. I kept smoking for the first two weeks and they tasted worse by the day. I ended up giving my last packet away and now, I don't even like the smell. The next challenge will be getting off the nicotine inhaler. I've cut it down without too much trouble and am confident I will be nicotine free by years end.

17. single.mommy

single.mommy New Member

They say it takes 21 days to break a habit! Be very proud you made it to 15!! Idk how far you are now BUT I know many that say cutting back is just one a cig an hour... To go an entire day from smoking that much to nothing is a HUGE accomplishment! Be proud and brag that out!

18. Annie Brown

Annie Brown New Member

Congratulations on your excellent progress! I smoked for over 10 years and quit for good in November. I had made at least 3 or 4 attempts in the past, but with little success. This time I was finally ready and took the affair very seriously. A month prior to setting a quit date I began attending Sunday religious services again. In much the same way AA programs call its members to seek a "higher power," I found that integrating a spiritual component into my smoking cessation program (scheduled intake of nicotine gum) was the crucial aspect that allowed me to overcome my own addiction.

19. PJ Casey

PJ Casey New Member

I smoked for ten years. I finally quit "cold turkey", and have been cigarette-free for 19 years! Peppermints were my life saver! Every time I wanted to smoke, I chewed on a peppermint. I also remembered the advice an older gentleman gave me on how he quit smoking. He said, "take it an hour at a time". If you can go without a cigarette for one hour, then try two. Before long, the hours will turn into a day and then you take it a day at a time. It worked for me!

20. Kirstie

Kirstie New Member

Congratulations on making it those 15 days. For most people those 15 days are the hardest. I know several people who have gone through this. My mom quit smoking almost 17 years ago and she recently told me it was the best decision she ever made. My suggestion is to just not have them around you. It seems simple but honestly not having access to the cigarettes will make all the difference. Don't buy them. Throw away the excess you had before you quit. If someone close to you smokes, ask them to be respectful of your choice and to not smoke around you. Good luck!

21. flipperchi

flipperchi Member

It's all about willpower but having other things to help don't hurt. I have quit smoking now for about a year. I started with the electronic cigarette. I actually used that for about 6 months. After I stopped those, I really didn't even crave the cigarettes anymore.

22. jaichu

jaichu New Member

There is one movie called as ARUNACHALAM lead by Rajnikanth! In that movie, Rajnikanth's father would once have seen him smoking Cigar. His father doesn't wants him to be a chain smoker, will let his son into a room of umpteen cigars. Father would tell to Rajnikanth, "I am leaving you here tonight. Before next morning, you have to complete smoking all that you can. So, rajnikanth would smoke as much as he could. Next morning, his father would come and see him. Rajnikanth would become terribly bored of smoking more than 2000 to 3000 cigars in a night. Father's notion was to make rajnikanth to be bored of smoking. Phenomenally Rajnikanth too would become bored of smoking and would give away smoking. So i suggest you too to follow the same way :) :) :p ;)

23. Elizabethr6144

Elizabethr6144 New Member

Congratulations on being smoke free for fifteen days that is something to be proud of. When I quit smoking it was rough and the urge to smoke again was very strong so I know what you are feeling. What I would do is make a to-do list every morning, or the night before whatever is more convenient for you. That way when the urge to smoke raised I was able to keep myself busy because I knew there were things that needed to be done around the house, or errands to run ect. This was very effective for me because this made it so I didn't have time to smoke, and it kept my mind focused on other things. Maybe this is something that could work for you as we'll.

24. geldof9

geldof9 New Member

Congratulation on your success so far! I quit smoking about a year ago but the temptation to smoke again much harder to avoid. I have quit smoking with self hypnosis therapy. I imagine that smoking is really bad and convince myself to "quit smoking now". I have done this repeatedly until I actually quit smoking.

25. douglasjblanchard

douglasjblanchard New Member

My first attempt at quitting smoking was a disaster. I had no idea what my "triggers" were, did not have a motivation to quit or even any resources to facilitate success in the long term. So, during my last attempt, I chewed nicotine gum through each of my "triggers" (waking up, at the end of a meal, and any time during work) and gradually stepped down the amount of cigarettes I smoked each day.
    When my twins were born I realized my motivation and knew I could not look into their smiling faces without feeling guilty about my habit. Now I feel energized and my body is able to keep up with the energy of two toddlers.

26. SuperTeacher876

SuperTeacher876 New Member

Hi all.....I've tried to quit smoking as well. At least, I'm still trying. Some days are better than others but I'm driven to quit because I'm tired of hiding from my son. I haven't been a smoker for long, but I can certainly say that I hate smoking. How do I stop myself from giving in to temptation?

27. QueenBecka

QueenBecka New Member

I completely know how quitting feels! I have been on and off the kicking cigarettes train for YEARS. The only thing that has personally worked for me, has been exercise. I noticed that exercising completely killed any thoughts I had of wanting a cigarette. I do Yoga at least once a day, but usually twice (totaling one to two hours) and I also do resistance training everyday for at least a half hour. I feel great, look great and rarely crave a smoke.

When I do crave a cigarette, I just use a cheap, nicotine-free e-cigarette that uses a vegetable based oil. The vegetable based oil is the healthiest option for an e-cigarette because it doesn't contain any unknown chemicals.

I wish you strength and success in staying cigarette-free! If you do fall off the train, don't get depressed- it happens! Just get up and try again.