Read or watch?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Thonette, Sep 6, 2018.

1. myDive8

myDive8 New Member

bedtime rituals involved turning pages as opposed to scrolling up and down screen. for some, books are still treasured part of daily life. i still prefer reading, because watching on screens isn't doing your brain or your health any favors. watching your favorite show might satisfy your desire for instant gratification, but its likely to disrupt your sleep quality and leave you feeling groggy when you make it a daily part of your evening.

1 person likes this.
  2. vanessadespe

vanessadespe New Member

Read and then watch. You can fully understand one story or novel if you read every small details in the story that sometimes is not present in movies. Sometimes I prefer to read it first before watching movies, specially if the novel thst become a movie really catches your interest and you can relate your life in that particular novel. Catching your interest was very important on picking great books and movies. When your interest was really turn on by any novel, you can't help but watching it's movie. So for me interest is a must.

1 person likes this.
  3. mwania

mwania New Member

I prefer watching a movie.

1 person likes this.
  4. wenny5

wenny5 New Member

At one point in my life I want to read more than to watch. Reading makes a person knowledgeable. Its good exercise for the brain. When a person read you understand, and analyze and sometimes create a picture of what was being read to help the person makes his reading more enjoyable. What makes me stop reading and prefer watching? Technology! Re-creating the stories in a movie with added technology makes it more enjoyable for me to watch than read.

1 person likes this.
  5. Alzack50

Alzack50 Member

I prefer to read to gain words to brain and mostly to excercise our brain.

1 person likes this.
  6. vanessadespe

vanessadespe New Member

Yes

I saw the movie 'The fault in our stars' a few days ago.
    It was indeed a heart touching movie, but after a few minutes or probably a few hours, the movie was out of my head and I wasn't thinking about it much.

Then, I read the book and it made a huge impact on me. I can still relate to the authors words and every little detail he mentioned.

Movie: The girl getting her chemo is sitting in the hospital, looking at her mother while she talks to the doctor.

Book: The girls every minute of time spent in the hospital is described. You feel like you're in her head and can listen to every thought she gets while sitting there. The author mentions the girl fiddling with her fingers and thinking about how beautiful the outside world is and about how much she hates going to the therapy and other such minute details that you won't realize while watching the movie.

7. maxtorbz20

maxtorbz20 New Member

Most of the time books are better than movies. Books can let you imagine the setting or events happening in the story. They are also more detailed than movies because movies sometimes leave out some important details.

In some movies, they switch up the characters because in the book they are different and totally the opposite.

When we read a book, we tend to visualize the characters a certain way and in movies they don’t look like the way we want them too. It disappoints us in many ways. I’ve read books before that have a plot twist at the end and in the movie it never happens.

Movies tend to last about two hours and books take their time and last longer. Movies rush things so that they can end it fast and there. Not everyone has access to movies or can afford going to movie theatres but books can be borrowed at the library or from a friend.

Books are portable and can be read online as well, anytime. When reading books, we get more knowledge and it helps us improve our vocabulary. Characters are described much better and with more detail.

One important thing that books do have and movies don’t is that they provide more background information than a movie does.

8. 01356manish

01356manish New Member

I like watching more than reading learning does become easy for me when i am watching it .Studies do suggest that reading books help stimulate the brain and watching videos numbs it but I got this fact from a video so it is working out fine for me.

9. anthonyhurtadox

anthonyhurtadox New Member

People who say they prefer the book to the movie usually are trying to seem intelligent. Then again, they might prefer the extra details that only the length of a book can provide. Another reason could be that when you read, you are given the chance to imagine the content exactly how you think it should look. A movie on the other hand depicts how the director imagined the book should look like. For this reason and to eliminate bias I prefer seeing a movie first then reading the book so that I have the highest chance of liking both.

10. nheilm2020

nheilm2020 Member

In terms of learning style, both are great but it depends on the type of learner. However, I prefer to learn more while watching movies. This is my style when I was in college, I could not really absorb what I have studied without watching television or movies while reading and scanning my notes before the examination day. When reading alone on my study table made me sleepy. So, I am a type of audio and visual learner.

11. nic15

nic15 New Member

I prefer to watch the movie first before reading the book. The movie and the book will always have differences in the story plot. And for me I don't have much time reading because I cant focus too much on a certain thing and I forget the things sometimes that I tend to finish. And watching movies would be the great fit for me and to all the non readers out there.

12. mbrnrd

mbrnrd Member

If the book has book bersion, id rather read the book first and then watch the movie after that. But if the book is known for not being good, ill watch the movie and see if I can enjoy it.

13. illuminniall

illuminniall New Member

Personally, I prefer reading books. With books, you can receive more details and accuracy, it makes you create your own version of scenery while sticking to the original flow of the story. Reading is not only healthier, but it's much more relaxing and you get to pause, continue, or re-read your favorite parts over and over again as you please. While watching a story unfold on screen might be more convenient for some people, it just doesn't have the same feeling of satisfaction you get after finishing a good book.

Most movies are only adaptation from books, and no matter how great the effects are, it's always not as good as the original content because they tend to erase some minor parts due to the limited time it can only be shown on screen. But those minor parts can mean a lot to the reader. If you're really into a story, the minor details, the little parts, it all makes a difference. It can change the way you view a specific character as it alters their personalities. In the end, books still remain being the better option, and it is considered canon compared to the movie version.

14. Aileen635

Aileen635 New Member

I love to read stories AND watch movies. Both forms of entertainment appeal to me. I find reading a book and watching a movie that you enjoy does the same thing: they resonate with you. It could be the story itself, or how it was told. Maybe it's just a single line that you relate to so much it gets stuck in your head and you carry it with you for always. Sometimes it's an image from the moments between the words being said. And my favorite thing is that it's always different for everyone. A good book, a good movie, a good story can be very personal. I find it very human.

So, yeah. I love stories in any shape or form.

15. Lasheen123

Lasheen123 Member

Depends, sometimes the book is better than the movie so reading in this case is better. However, sometimes the movie could be better than the book which is rare but in this case I prefer to watch the movie .

16. kumarsunil123

kumarsunil123 Member

1. I prefer reading books. It provide us deep knowledge of any subjects. If you are fond of readings books your life is successful. Books inspire me to do something new things. I read motivational books also. Especially, I read the story of Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar. He is great man of India and he struggles hard for discrimination, inequality for our society. He thought every people is equal and their right is equal. After primary education, He went to foreign countries for higher education. He studied London and America in Columbia university. After that he came back in India and He saw major Caste discrimination in India. Then he became law Minister of India and the then he resigned after some months. Then He wrote our Indian Constitution.

17. mkrisdc

mkrisdc New Member

I like books and reading. It is more of a struggle for me to stop myself from buying new books compared to convincing myself that I don't need to watch something. However, if I have to choose between reading a book or watching its movie adaptation, I most often would rather watch. This is probably because I still have a lot on my to-read pile; therefore, I don't wish to add more to it for now.

While it's true that when reading, you can build the story in your head according to your preferences and interpretation hence, tapping your creative mind and keeping the narrative true to the author's original intent, it can prove difficult to find quiet and alone time in order to be able to finish a book in peace. Not to mention that it can take more time to finish a book (of course, depending on one's pace and free time to read). Whereas, for watching a movie, all you have to do is sit back, relax, and watch the story unfold as interpreted by the film director. It takes less time and effort. Although the downside to that is that, most of the time, movies just take some parts of a book and then add other elements or even completely deviate from the story at most; therefore, making reading the book a better option.

Either way, whichever one I choose, I usually try to just pick one. If I read the book, I don't watch the movie, and vice versa. That way, I can avoid frustration. There are exceptions, of course. Some works are really great, that you would want to read the book even after you have already watched the movie, or watch the movie to see it visually with the hopes that it is how you imagined it to be.

18. ikerman88

ikerman88 New Member

I prefer to read, the book is so much complete than teh movie. The movie just take some parts and sometimes let important things out.

19. dojemi10

dojemi10 New Member

Reading the story is better since it's my own imagination that works around the story, unlike with films, a book doesn't limit your scope of imagination and understanding.

1 person likes this.
  20. annatagas

annatagas New Member

I prefer reading the book first then watching the movie, if the book has a movie adaptation. Reading the book allows me to imagine the characters, the setting and the situations being described in the book. Reading allows you to have your own picture of the story. Watching the movie on the other hand makes you to see the characters come to life. It shows you how others perceive the story and how they would interpret it through the movie. Both reading and watching enables you to learn something out of those stories.

1 person likes this.
  21. Sabrina92

Sabrina92 New Member

I do both of them.
    Reading books especially religious scriptures make me so relaxing and down to earth. It makes me feelings like to live in true life. It tells me how to face hurdles and ups and downs in my life. Books are good companion of yours in loneliness.
    A well-known saying,
    "Some books are for taste, some for chewing and some for digest".
    I like to digest the books.
    On the other hand, watching TV or movies is also fascinating me in some way. Some aspects I can't realize from books but get Ideas from movies in characterized way. If I don't get the theme of movies then I get the from reading or searching to read in simple ways.

22. I do both because some of the story in the movies is do some short cuts unlike in the book they will said and begin step by step little by little it will explain to you why its gonna happen and what are the next. I love reading also because you can bring it at any places and read it any time.

23. YEGUNA

YEGUNA New Member

I like reading books. I like reading the story to get a better feel of the emotions because books are more descriptive than videos. Some people cannot pick up on social cues such as attraction and tension between two people in a video, which is where books come in with describing the actual events in detail. Also, some people don't bother with the background or know the setting of a movie. Books give you a visual description, and the time frame thus making your brain put in the actual effort of imagining how the described place looks like.

1 person likes this.
  24. raiwenkai

raiwenkai Member

I prefer to wath than to read.. For me I understand much if I'm watching and seeing the characters portrayed their roles. sometimes I feel sleepy if I read books

25. iulishka

iulishka New Member

I prefer to read than watch, it's like fitness for the mind. Reading stimulates my imagination, fires up my brain and allows me to relax at the same time. The best feeling is seeing the movie after you read the book. I remember seeing "Harry Potter" - the movie after having read the book and I was really happy to see that my imagination matched the director's fantasy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  26. mithul

mithul Member

Well definitely I would say watching because in my ideology watching movie is quite easy to observe rather pushing yourself to read a long passage

27. romelece

romelece New Member

I prefer reading a book than watching the same plot or story in a movie. It can expand my vocabulary, provides better focus, and enhances my imagination. I can better understand the story at my own pace. The details are more comprehensive and it provides me more attachment to the story. The entertainment and stress relieving reading can give helps me improve mentally.

1 person likes this.
  28. Chris96

Chris96 New Member

For me personally watching is better than reading because through watching you can learn a lot more and gain more because what you've seen visually it's hard to forget compared to what you've read. For me, it's easy to recall what I watched than what I read.

29. ELEcKTRON

ELEcKTRON New Member

I prefer watching cause i like seeing the actions and i remember images more than written words. Though in reading the key is imagination, it takes a lot of my time.

30. talagirl

talagirl Member

I'd rather watch than read, because when I'm watching, I don't fall asleep easily. But by reading, just by reading the first, my vision becomes weary, on the way of dozing off.