Recommend a Netflix show to me please!

Discussion in 'Television' started by beto213, Jan 11, 2016.

1. beto213

beto213 New Member

I have a Netflix account and want to check out something new. I prefer to watch a series and not a movie. To give you an idea, some of my favorite shows include "Game of Thrones", "Breaking Bad", "The Wire" and "Arrested Development". So basically, what are some good drama or comedy series that are "must watch" on Netflix?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. retaw33

retaw33 New Member

House of Cards. Not only is it one of the best written shows on Netflix, it also features Kevin Spacey in what is arguably his best role to date.

It's a political drama, but don't get thrown off in case you don't like politics. I'm from Denmark, and when I started watching House of Cards, I honestly didn't even understand the US political system, but now after three seasons of House of Cards, I actually find US politics somewhat interesting.

Stop whatever you're doing right this moment, and go watch the first episode of House of Cards. And mentally prepare yourself not to leave your sofa until you've watched all three seasons ;)

RowenPosts likes this.
  3. UserNumberX

UserNumberX New Member

I too prefer a good series over a movie! I watch all the shows you mentioned in your post. I've got two recommendations for you, and both are available on Netflix:

Check out Orange is the New Black, it's a Netflix original series. Long story short, it's a show about women in federal prison. It starts off a bit slow, but if you can make it through the first episode, it -will- grab you! It's gritty and a little corny at the same time. It boasts a really good cast, and you'll get into the characters.

Since you watch Arrested Development (I assume you've watched the Netflix-produced Season 4?), I -must- recommend Archer. It's a dark spy comedy. It's a cartoon, but it's very adult-themed. I recommend it to an Arrested Development fan because they picked off half of AD's cast. Jessica Walter plays an almost identical character, Judy Greer is again in a receptionist role (but even funnier), Jeffrey Tambor has a recurring role as JW's competitor/love interest, and David Cross had a guest appearance too.

Oh, and coming soon to Netflix (as in anyday now), watch for Better Call Saul, the prequel to Breaking Bad. Very different storyline, but also a good watch!

4. Sadi

Sadi New Member

Definitely House of cards. It's about politics but truly will change your opinion on politics as a whole, a lot of suspense and action in a way one wouldn't think even possible.
    Suits is also a fun show to watch and will really keep you trying to stay one step ahead by the twists and turns the show takes in its story.
    A recent documentary series that has made news headlines is making a murderer. A show that could make a skeleton grow a heart and start sobbing. A must watch to anyone other than children.

RowenPosts likes this.
  5. Rachel Parker

Rachel Parker New Member

It's been mentioned before, but House of Cards is fantastic. If you like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, House of Cards should be pretty easy for you to get into. The fourth season is going to be up in a couple of months too, start watching now and the timing should be perfect. The original British miniseries is great too, but the new Netflix one is definitely better, watch that first.

BoJack Horseman is worth your time if you're looking for a comedy. It's another Netflix original, and although it looks like your standard adult cartoon sitcom, it isn't. The show deals a lot with depression and the characters feel real and alive.

Making a Murderer is a bit different, but also might be the best show I've seen all year. There really is no reason not to watch this one. A truly great documentary that will leave you thinking for weeks after you watch it.

RowenPosts likes this.
  6. LMK1115

LMK1115 New Member

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out Orange Is the New Black. It's actually based on a true story and it's very interesting to see the inner workings of a women's prison. The characters are well written and very realistic. As you get to know each character in the prison, you also slowly get to know how and why they got there.

As long as you don't mind a little vulgarity, you'll enjoy this show!

7. beto213

beto213 New Member

Thank you all for the suggestions! They are some great suggestions. I should say I have seen Archer, and I agree, as a fan of Arrested Development, it is right up my alley humor-wise. I don't think I have seen the whole series, so I may have to go back and binge watch it all soon. I started to watch the new Netflix season of Arrested Development, but I wasn't instantly in love with it, so I stopped midway through the first episode, because I didn't want to taint my absolute adoration for that show.

Orange is the New Black, I tried watching and I just couldn't get past that first episode, I'm not sure why though. Maybe it did come off as a little corny with the woman's backstory. I feel like I need to give it another shot though especially with so many people recommending it all the time.

Finally, I have seen most of House of Cards. I did not see the latest season though, so thanks for the reminder to finish that up.

Any other suggestions?

8. elroy2010

elroy2010 New Member

They're a lot of good shows on Netflix. They have been producing show with very good writing and acting. I would suggest starting with the Marvel shows: Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Apparently they are doing an additional show with Luke Cage as the lead and then they are going to tie in all three in another show. There even good documentaries on there. The show Making a Murderer which blew-up over the news and garnering attention nationwide and is a certainly a must watch.

9. doodads

doodads New Member

As I'm sure you already know, Netflix is now in the business of producing shows, and their forays into animation have been stellar. Just yesterday I ran through "F is for Family" which is a more realistic take on American family life during the so called "golden age" of the family sitcom, the early seventies. Bill Burr voices the main character; you follow him as he has to deal with more realistic problems that a show like "Leave It to Beaver" probably wouldn't touch, such as monetary and marital strife.

The voice acting is top-notch, plus it has an awesome intro song. It's only six episodes, so all it takes is one night to binge through it.

10. AmbarMin13

AmbarMin13 New Member

How to get away with murder. It's a great show, really exciting and addictive and it has a great cast too.

11. Mackenzie

Mackenzie New Member

I have to say "With Bob and David" is a show that I was so happy to see aired. Bob Odenkirk is a real inspiration of mine so seeing that they revamped "Mr. Show" I was ecstatic. It's a great skit comedy show that also features David Cross. In the same vein, Bob Odenkirk also produced "The Birthday Boys" which is another "Mr. Show" spinoff that got quite a few laughs out of me.

12. bluenzer

bluenzer New Member

I think you would not like the series I watch but the comedy series I have enjoyed have been Masters of None.

For anyone that is into anime I can say with 90 percent certainty that you will enjoy Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood :)

If you like Mystery then I say...maybe Sherlock

If you like Action then Flash

13. Andres Gentil

Andres Gentil New Member

You need to watch 12 Monkeys rigth now. Its based on the movie with the same name but it has a lot of new character and a lot of things you canĀ“t imagine that will happen.

14. Enduro

Enduro New Member

My absolute favorite Netflix original is Daredevil, which is possibly the greatest superhero series ever created, and it's because it was created as a 13 hour movie and not a tv show. The plot centers around a struggle between Daredevil and Kingpin for control of Hell's Kitchen, it has great characters and season 2 is set to be even greater.

15. Francisco Lopez

Francisco Lopez New Member

A good Netflix show to watch has to be Narcos. Its based on a true story but still is very exciting. The acting and sountrack are superb. It'll make you wanting to watch more and more. Its based on a Colombian drug lord named Pablo Escobar who started the largest cocaine trading network.

16. mikifull

mikifull New Member

I love Orphan Black and Marvel shows. Although Orphan Black is not very popular, the writing is great and Tatiana Maslany is doing a great job at portraying at least half of the characters. I would also recommend Helix. The first season is vivacious, though the second season was almost painful to watch.

17. KaylaPowell

KaylaPowell New Member

I have never really been into dramas, so I don't watch many of them. If you like comedy then I would recommend checking out Trailer Park Boys, The League, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Office, Parks and Recreation, and
    Psych. I don't know if you like crime, but White Collar, Prison Break, and Leverage are really good. These are some of my favorite shows on Netflix. You should check some of them out if you haven't already watched them.

tobby maine likes this.
  18. Torchic

Torchic New Member

In order of personal preference:

Comedy TV series: Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Archer, Bob's Burgers, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, BoJack Horseman, Louie, Maron, F is for Family, Portlandia, Master of None, The League.
    Best time-piece dramas: Mad Men, Halt and Catch Fire, The West Wing, House of Cards, A Young Doctor's Notebook, Black Mirror.
    Best action/crime dramas: Marvel's Jessica Jones, Sherlock, Fringe (since you like X-files this is a must), Making a Murderer*, Twin Peaks, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Marvel's Agent Carter.
    *Documentary

19. anarodrig98

anarodrig98 New Member

I definitely recommend Mad Men! It's a TV series that shows what life was like back in 1960's for wealthy business men, the house wives, and the secretaries. Mad Men is filled with drama with the business aspect of their advertisement company and the drama at home with their wives that really have no clue what goes down at the office. You won't regret watching it!

20. Baylee

Baylee New Member

Arrow is a great series. It currently has three seasons. It is action filled. I find myself crying almost every episode, but laughing a lot as well. It is based off of the DC Comic Green Arrow and includes characters such as Flash and Deadshot.

21. myzsophistication

myzsophistication New Member

Well I was obsessed with Prison Break, Nikita and Scandal. I could only watch one series at a time. I found myself binge watching Prison Break and Nikita. I was so engrossed in the lives of those characters it was ridiculous. But of all the shows I mentioned Prison break is my ultimate recommendation.

22. cannedtuna

cannedtuna New Member

There are so many good series on Netflix!

If you're looking for a comedy, I would highly recommend Psych. No matter how many times I watch each episode, it never fails to make me laugh. The wit and humor in the show is phenomenal; it's lighthearted and spontaneous. And the chemistry between the characters, especially Shawn and Gus, is quite relatable, making it easy to be drawn in. Psych is one of my all-time favorite TV shows.

If you're more into adventure and suspense, Dexter is perfect. Its plot is thrilling and emotional, and the character development is exceptional - especially that of Dexter. The way in which the show follows the story of Dexter really makes you feel like you are a part of his journey. Every mishap fills you with terror and apprehension, making the suspense sometimes unbearable. The plot is simple yet creative. I cannot offer enough praise for this show.

If you want something dramatic and emotional, Switched at Birth is a decent option. The idea behind the plot is rather interesting; however, the relationships between the characters are the true focus of the show. It's realistic in the sense that the characters feel the same emotions we deal with throughout our lives: pain, sorrow, joy, apprehension... relationships become tangled, trust becomes stronger then weaker then mended again, truth and lies are constantly at war with one another. Yet, in the end, a lesson is always learned, making it inspirational in a sense. This show almost gives you a new perspective on life, in a way.

There are countless other series that are just as fantastic. It all depends on what you're looking for.

23. Yasmin Dibe

Yasmin Dibe New Member

Hi! The Netflix show I suggest is Lost. Lost will keep your attention and make you want to come back for more.

24. Captain Coulson

Captain Coulson New Member

I'm going to be cliche and go along with my icon. Revenge is one of the best series I have seen. The characters are complex, and there is an ongoing battle between the characters fighting for justice and the ones trying to keep their deceptions a secret. You will not be disappointed.

25. adrianomaly

adrianomaly New Member

If you're looking to laugh, Parks & Recreation is the way to go. It's even better if you plan on watching it with other people. It's also pretty clean, so you can watch it with kids around. If you want a fast-paced action show, Nikita is amazing. A lot of my friends have been begging me to watch The 100, so that might be something you'd enjoy as well.

Jeff Y. likes this.
  26. Jeff Y.

Jeff Y. New Member

I agree with Enduro. Daredevil is definitely not a show for everybody, but it does appeal to people who are tired of the run-of-the-mill superhero shows, where it's clear who is bad and who is good, and the good guy always wins. Here, Matt Murdock, a young blind lawyer during the day, but a vigilante at night, fights for a safer Hell's Kitchen using fighting skills he trained for over many years. Daredevil does not win all the time. He does not leave unscathed. He gets hurt, has to contend with difficult issues that conflicts with his principles and has to balance a work and social life. It's an interesting series, highly relate able, with a lot of well choreographed fight scenes.

-Jeff

27. tskier01123

tskier01123 New Member

You've got so many in here, but I figure I'll pile on.

You got your typical ones, Making a Murderer, House of Cards, etc. The full series of 'The West Wing' is on there now and I can't get enough of that. 'Narcos' is great if you're up for a little drugs and violence in your TV watching. Grey's Anatomy makes for a good soap opera, and there are plenty of episodes to binge watch. I've just started watching The Ranch and think it's pretty good.

Anyone else seen The Ranch yet, and what do you think?

28. nataliemaza

nataliemaza New Member

I think this is one that hasn't been said, but it is legitimately, in my opinion one of the best shows on Netflix: Sense8! It's an action-y science-fiction drama and a Netflix original series, so the diversity is top-notch. It stars eight different characters around the world whose minds are linked. It follows all of their stories as well as discovering their new abilities and challenges. There is some romance involved and tear-jerker moments, but like I said, also a lot of fighting and action.

29. Laura Mest

Laura Mest New Member

If you're looking for a drama series on Netflix, I would definitely recommend watching Scandal. It is written by Shonda Rhimes, who is also the writer of Grey's Anatomy and How to Get Away With Murder. The series follows the life of a prominent Washington D.C. attorney, Olivia Pope, who owns her own business that one would assume is a law practice. However, Olivia and her associates refer to themselves as either "gladiators" or "fixers" rather than attorneys. Each episode features a scandal or newsworthy event that involves Olivia and her associates "fixing" the problem for their client. However, behind the scenes, Olivia is involved in the biggest scandal of all, an affair with the President of the United States. Scandal involves love, murder, and all the drama anyone could ask for in a television series.

30. dannyc520

dannyc520 New Member

I agree with many of the aforementioned options, but an underrated show that will definitely draw you in after watching an episode is Nikita starring Maggie Q. The show follows Nikita, a former drug addict. Nikita was high on ketamine when the house she was staying in was raided by police. After one of her friends gets shot, she does not know what to do due to her being high, and takes a gun and shoots a cop. She is sentenced to death for killing the cop, whose partner helped cover up the fact that the cop wrongly shot the man. Nikita wakes up and is informed that she can serve her country, or serve her death sentence. She is taken into a classified black ops program - "Division" - that is sanctioned by the government, and trained to be a killer for the nation's most powerful people. Her boss, Percy, takes side jobs for profit, and is clearly running a corrupt, out of control mini militia. Nikita eventually escapes, but not without Division killing her fiancee. She vows revenge on the program and eventually sends in a mole to bring them down from the inside. And that's just the first episode.