Research for new book

Discussion in 'Fiction Writing' started by MOlivier, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MOlivier

MOlivier New Member

I am currently in the process of writing a full length novel from a short story I wrote a few years back. Of course research is very important even if the story is fictional. I would just like to get some feedback as to whether I should publish the short story first - sort of like an EP for a music record and then once I complete the full length publish that as well. What are your opinions on this?

2. montag

montag New Member

When you say publish, what do you mean? Do you have a way of actually getting it printed and the like, or are you going to send it to some magazine.
    Personally, sending it to people you know and trust the opinions of before making anything public is the way to go.

3. nike8004

nike8004 New Member

I don't think that there's a right way or a wrong way to do this; you should do whatever feels best for you! If you're currently attending a college or larger university, your school likely has a writing magazine for student publications and would love to publish your work; similarly, some schools offer short story and flash fiction competitions. If you're not in school, you can look into different writing websites geared toward your genre (i.e. sci-fi, flash fiction, personal essay, etc.) and submit it there. I don't think there's a downside to publishing the short story in advance, but the upside is that you could get some feedback on it from a wider audience to guide you as you work on your full-length novel. I hope that helped!